Peyton Manning — a near-Cardinal? — retires

Posted by Darren Urban on March 6, 2016 – 11:00 am

Peyton Manning did the expected. He is retiring from the NFL after his walk-off Super Bowl win last month. (He isn’t officially announcing it until Monday, but everyone — including the Denver Broncos — are congratulating him on his career today, so ..)

Manning is in the conversation for greatest player in league history. Considering he played for so long, he really didn’t cross paths with the Cardinals much. A quick aside: Manning went No. 1 overall in the 1998 draft. No.3 overall was the Cards’ pick of defensive end Andre Wadsworth.

In 18 years — 17 years of playing, plus that 2011 season he missed with the neck injury — Manning only played against the Cards three times. He started against the Cards in Indy in the 2005 season finale, completing 1-of-2 passes for 5 yards before leaving after one series. The prepping-for-the-playoffs Colts won anyway, 17-13. In 2009 he brought the Colts to University of Phoenix Stadium for “Sunday Night Football” and picked the Cards apart in a 31-10 Indy win, completing 24-for-35 passes for 379 yards, four touchdowns and one interception. In 2014, now playing for Denver, he ripped up the Cards again as the Broncos ran away with a 41-20 win. In that game, Manning completed 31-of-47 passes for 479 yards, four touchdowns, a pair of picks and one memorable tackle of defensive lineman Calais Campbell.

In between there, he of course considered playing for the Cardinals after the Colts cut him early in 2012. He chose the Broncos, which worked out pretty well for Denver and probably worked out the best for the Cardinals too. We will never know how the Whisenhunt-Manning Cards would have changed history, but the Cardinals are in good shape these days with Carson Palmer and Bruce Arians.

Arians, of course, was Manning’s first quarterbacks coach in the NFL.

“I called him the piranha,” Arians said in a statement Sunday morning. “I could never get him enough information, whether it was about the opponent or our game plan or anything else. We had him in for a pre-draft interview in’98 and he had a notebook full of questions for us, including one about the Indiana tax code. I remember thinking, ‘Who interviewed who here?’ He’s an absolutely tireless worker on the fundamentals and also one of the practical jokers in the world. I was proud to have him as a quarterback but I’m more proud to have him as a good friend. I wish him nothing but the best with whatever is ahead in the next chapters.”

Bruce Arians , Peyton Manning

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Peyton Manning — a near-Cardinal? — retires”

1. By Steve on Mar 6, 2016 | Reply

Enjoyed watching the Free Agent preview videos with Paul, you and Kyle, any chance you three do a Draft preview video where you spotlight particular players the Cards could end up drafting?

2. By Darren Urban on Mar 6, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Draft videos

That’s the plan.

3. By Nellie Holstein on Mar 6, 2016 | Reply

While Arizinia Cardinals is my favorite team along with the Rams ,I highly respect Peyton Manning he has been an inspiration out on the field

4. By Scott H on Mar 6, 2016 | Reply

Denver was really the best place for Manning after he left Indy. And I think he knew that. Things got better for the Cardinals quickly when BA came on board and they were able to land Palmer. But that was going into to 2013. At the point that Manning was looking for a new home during the 2012 off-season….Denver definitely looked like a better place to be than Arizona did.

Manning is one of my favorite non-Cardinals players of all time ( along with Aaron Rodgers ). And as the NFL goes, he has been part of our daily discussions for so long that it is hard to imagine the a world in which Peyton Manning is no longer playing. I think I will miss that – a helluva lot more than I missed Brett Favre, I’ll tell ya that. By the time he retired, I COULD NOT WAIT to be done with hearing about Brett Favre every day….although that took awhile. Manning, I will miss a lot more.

Wonder what he will do from here….he is not gonna coach, I think we know that. I think he would be a great addition to any of the pre-game crews on any of the networks. I could see him there more that I could see him in the broadcast booth, but he could do that, too. With his personality and his likable factor, which is completely off the charts, he can pretty much do whatever he wants. He’ll still be doing commercials, probably for years to come.

I wish him well. He had a great career, went out on top, didn’t stay too long, he has more money that he can probably spend, and he can do anything he wants from here, continuing to make a lot more money in the process.

I think it is good to be Peyton Manning.

5. By DTL on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

BA commnets on 98.7 interesting was asked, said was comfortable starting season with Cooper as starting… right guard, no mention of center position…fwiw

6. By ralph on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

What is your favorite memory of Peyton?

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Ralph —

RE: Favorite Peyton memory

8. By Tyrone Jackson on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Peyton Manning retirement speech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfhdDx8LC8w

9. By Scott H on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Alright, never mind Peyton Manning, let’s get back to business! Am hearing that the Cardinals are making a “strong push” for Bruce Irvin. Sounds good to me. Looks like a very good addition to this defense. And if we can take something away from the damn Seahawks in the process…all the better. Seems like one of the competitors for Irvin is Atlanta, where their former D coordinator is the head coach. But unless he is hell-bent on playing for Quinn, I’m hoping Irvin will realize that the best chance for him to be part of a very good defense and a top contender is in Arizona.

I’d love to see them land this fish.

10. By Steve on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Darren: Reports are trickling in that the Cards are “heavily pursuing” Seahawks LB Bruce Irvin and are also interested in Rams DE William Hayes. Do you think it’s possible the Cards could sign both players and if not, which player do you think would help us out the most?

11. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Defensive players

Could they sign both? Sure. But it’s so hard to know how much it would cost. Both those guys would seem to be higher priced, unless Hayes does a Peters-like deal (which I suppose he could.)

12. By clssylssy on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

First the gunslinger, now the sheriff, with a host of other big name players riding off into the sunset of retirement…seems the lights are beginning to dim of football as many of us have known it. I don’t even want to think about the inevitable of Fitz joining these iconic greats in the coming years as they seem to have been cut from a different cloth than anything we’ve seen in recent years.
    I’m happy for Peyton that he is going out on top while he still has his health and is physically able to enjoy his kids and actively be involved in enjoying their activities.
    For me, Peyton will always be associated with the Colts and, it seems, after his departure, that team was never quite as bright. One of the greats of the game, thanks for the memories!