As free agency opens, names float

Posted by Darren Urban on March 7, 2016 – 5:02 pm

So teams could legally start talking to free agents Monday. No deals can be executed before Wednesday (at 2 p.m. Arizona time). Any of the rumors floating around today and until then are mainly that, especially since it is agents who are getting most of the information that is being reported and agents have a reason to drive up interest in their particular clients.

The biggest name floated by multiple reports Monday was linebacker Bruce Irvin, who has played for the Seahawks. He’s young and rushes the passer, although his production on that front has only been OK. He’s wanted (former Seahawks coordinators are now head coaches in Jacksonville and Atlanta are reportedly interested, and Jacksonville in particular has a LOT of money.) Kent Somers noted that the Cards have interest in Rams defensive lineman William Hayes as well.

Kent also tweeted Drew Stanton’s return might be iffy, after Bruce Arians just said on Arizona Sports 98.7 Monday morning he was hoping Stanton would be back in place as Palmer’s backup. Stanton just said last week he wasn’t sure what was going to happen — which, for a guy who was already able to talk to his own team about returning, does not sound all that optimistic if the guy was actually going to be returning. If Stanton left, it would certainly change up the urgency of looking for quarterbacks behind Carson Palmer.

Finally, Jason Cole suggested that interest in free-agent-to-be tackle Bobby Massie could push his contract to $8 million a year average. That’d be quite the windfall for Massie, who wasn’t expected to return anyway but certainly wouldn’t at $8M a year. That’d be more than Jared Veldheer is getting, and while it is two years later, I never would’ve expected that to be a possibility.

RZ1_4083MassieBlog

Tags: , , , ,

41 Responses to “As free agency opens, names float”

1. By joe holst on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Let all the other teams overpay and have to cut there FA ‘s in 2 years and the Cards can sit back and sign bargain basement players who end up producing the same if not more.

2. By D on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

As I have stated previously making a case for B Irvin, I would guess W Hayes would be more likely to sign here than Irvin. Signing to play here is making winning more as a priority over making the most $. AZ can’t compete with possible $10 mil offers but have better odds getting back to the playoffs than those other named teams. Irvin has a ring he may want to be the high paid man on a 500 team.

3. By lacardsfan on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Massie at $8 million is got to be fake, come on.

4. By Cards4Ever on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Aye yo D,

Could you put a price on JPP? I don’t understand the interest with him, honestly. He clearly missed tackles because of the injury.

*Side note-I do read other teams websites and you are clearly one of the best out there! Glad you write for our team!

5. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Cards4Ever —

RE: JPP

So hard to tell on him. He’s going to want bucks. Maybe it’ll be a one-year deal so he can reestablish himself and hit the market again next season. Would be surprised if he wasn’t asking for at least $8M a year. Now, will he get it? We will see.

6. By Big Ken on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

How about Chris Long? Not sure how much he’s got left. Like W. Hayes, but wouldn’t break the bank on him. Some decent FA’s, but a lot of older players that can’t hang it up and need to.

7. By CardsFallIntoPlace on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Darren-
    If you had any idea which premier fee agent would sign with the Cards, who would it be? My guess would be Hali or Irvin, but we don’t have a lot of cap room.

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

CardsFall —

RE: Who would sign

It’d only be a guess. If they are pushing hard for Irvin, that makes sense to me, but the Raiders can throw so much more money at him if they choose.

9. By Mdub on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

DJ Humphreys to Tackle – farewell, Massie!

10. By All Day on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

I’m really not a fan of Bruce Irvin, he’s got an attitude and if he was a premium pass rusher he would not be leaving Seattle. I think Olivier Vernon or Malik Jackson would be smarter signings for what the money is going to be looking like for those 3. I think a guy we should go for is Colby Fleener, he’s very talented and can high point the ball, surprised that the Colts signed Allen over Fleener but to each his own. Someone we could consider is Tashaun Gibson, a lot like a skinnier Chancellor he is a ball hawk, had a down year this past season due to injury but I believe he will make a strong comeback, we can sign him for cheap and he would fit very well with the one they call the Honey Badger.

11. By CreditCard on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

trade down, trade down, trade down that 1st round pick in exchange for a 2nd rounder and possibly a third rounder.

I like the concept of converting Derrick Henry into an OLB. He has the perfect body of an OLB. His athletic abilities are Vonn Miller like. Bosa does not have Vonn Miller athleticism.

I like the DE from Grand Valley State — unreal sack numbers, and he too has the physical attributes to be something special. The CB from Northern Iowa (Hall) has the range and athleticism as well. These players have the body types and are raw athletes — proper coaching could be steals of the draft.

My opinion, this draft does not have many true 1st rounders.

12. By Dr. G. on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Cards Right side of the line? We do not need high dollar FAs to fill these needs. We can find them in the draft for reasonable money. It does not take a physicist to fill in there. Keim and Arians just need to find the guys with “heart and some brains,” the 2 muscles BA describes in his biology class!

A pass rusher is a different case; you can roll the dice to get a good draft pick and hope he translates to the bigger//faster game after some grooming…oooor… you can pay serious bucks for a guy who has some proven stats… FWIW, this is just a given for the cap space to be effective…later FANS

13. By Brett Colorado on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Man I really hope that the C.C. rumor is just that, a rumor. I get that his production last year was not totally up to par and his salary this year will hit the organization hard but man the guy is the face of the defense as Larry is the face of the offense in my opinion. But i do realize its a business and it is what it is.

14. By dan on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Hope Calais is traded…………..don’t get me wrong, he’s good against the run but u think with his frame he would be able to put pressure on the QB………NOPE! SLOW.

15. By CARDS62 on Mar 7, 2016 | Reply

Really like the Irvin talk. Makes us stronger in our weakest area and hurts our strongest rival. I think this could happen. Irvin likes winning and we have a much better chance than Atlanta or Jacksonville.

If Bobby Massie receives $ 8 MILLION a year please send the folks signing him down here to see me in Florida as I have some beautiful water property I need to unload oops I mean market to such wise investors.

Cooper at center I understand the positive points others are making but I think it will be a mistake for the following. Cooper does not seem to be getting the mental or physical side of the game so making him the QB of your Oline I think will overwhelm him. Just leave him at guard and hope it works this year. I remember his rookie year in preseason and he showed some positives and then I studied his college career at UNC and he showed promise, and I defended him some, but after the last 2 years I think JTDG is right and he is a huge bust. I hope I am wrong very wrong, but when you get replaced by Ted Larsen after what is it now 3 years in the league it does not look good for you.

We do not seem to draft players from Univ. of Arizona or ASU players and have missed out on some good ones.I know he is coming off an injury but what do you Cardinal Fans think of drafting Scooby Wright III?

GO Cards!

16. By Jon on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Heard the Cardinals are shopping Campbell. That is a bit of a shocker. There has been some frustration with him, but he’s still a solid player.

17. By Eazy E on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Bruce Irvin would be nice for us! To get a pass rusher that can be that ”guy” we’ve been looking for would be awesome! William Hayes would be good in addition to Irvin. Drew, while he is a good backup, isn’t going to be a starter here or anywhere in the league in my opinion, so let him walk and nab an RG3 or Kaepernick! Massie I think we should consider resigning not at 8, but he really came on the last few years here and D.J. has shown you nothing right now and I definitely wouldn’t trust no film!

18. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Yes, if Stanton departs, there is a gaping hole behind Palmer. And there becomes a definite need at QB, which ( I believe ) needs to be filled with something other than / in addition to Barkley. To my simple way of thinking, if you’re going to draft a QB, then what do you need with Barkley? That leaves you entirely too in-experienced behind Palmer.

If you’re going to keep Barkley around, bring in a run-of-the-mill veteran who isn’t gonna cost too much, and pass on drafting a QB this year. But then the question of your QB of the future remains….

Frankly, I’d much rather they DO draft a QB this year and move on from Barkley. In other words, I just think Barkley is in the way. IMHO, he is not your future and he offers little in the present. Would have preferred they had kept either of the two young guys they had in camp last year.

Repeating myself, I think Irvin would be a nice addition.

19. By Marlin on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

If Stanton leaves, why wouldn’t we go for RG3? I brought this up a week ago and you “poo-pooed” it…..saying he wouldn’t consider it when he can start somewhere else. Now they’re talking about him backing up Romo, for God’s sake. Wouldn’t a guy like RG3 rather be with the Cardinals and backup Palmer than Romo for a number of reasons? I realize its all just speculation, but if I were RG3…..the Cardinals are a perfect situation.

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: RGIII

Not if RGIII wants to play at home in Texas. Which is why so many connect the dots of him and the Cowboys.

21. By clssylssy on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

So much talent out there and once again we are strapped for cash so I find myself once again skeptical. Why is that always the story? Of course, the fallback excuse is always the Fitz contract (worth every cent) and the Daryl Washington saga but then I have to question WHY SK/Mr B, really pushed the league for a reasonably timely decision on DW so the team can either fish or cut bait and get on…Ihave to assume there is much more to this than we are told…I don’t see other teams,Broncos, Patriots, Seahawks,Cowboys putting up with this nonsense when it impacts the ability to build a roster! Other teams have players w bigger cap numbers than Fitz but are able to go out a buy a SB winning defense.
    I like that we have “interest” in Bruce Irving but that optimism fades when I read that we are considering paying Massie 8M thewhen he’s shown nothing. I think we need Stanton unless we can get Osweiller, and I don’t see us paying him either. If we rely on the drafts I doubt we’ll even see the playoffs before Palmer and Fitz retire! I know my opinion won’t be tpopular but after twenty years my standards/expectations have become higher while my patience have become thinner. Once again, hoping for the best but discouraged we are expecting miracles without paying.

22. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Money, etc.

I don’t even know where to begin on this comment, but I’ll start with: Show me where you saw the Cardinals were considering paying Massie $8M. I’ll wait.

And for the umpteenth time, this idea you spin of the Cardinals refusing to pay money has zero basis in fact.

23. By Cayne on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Don’t leav us

24. By raisinmxzone on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Bobby Massie and the Arizona Cardinals must have known that they were going separate ways. Also, don’t believe everything you see, the Cardinals have something that every team below .500 want, actual realistic Super Bowl aspirations. Guys like Brent Grimes, Chad Greenway, Daryl Smith, and Adam “Pac-Man” Jones might be older players, but they won’t care as much about getting paid. It’s about getting a ring. Everyone knows winning is more important than money when your at the late stages of your career.

25. By Max on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

What do you think the chances of a Terrance Knighton signing?

26. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Max —

RE: Knighton

Doesn’t seem to fit the profile of the versatile DL they look for.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Not a fan of Irvin (and his 5 sacks a year) at OLB. Just can’t see how he is better than Freeney. Younger? yes More expensive ? Oh Yeah. But better pass rusher??? Show me any evidence of that. I mean you have 4 years of tape to look at. 4 years of a 1st rounder disappointing.

Hayes seems like a Frostee Rucker special. I can’t see him as an OLB in any way. But in the 5 technique in our rotation, he could be a nice addition. It makes sense if this next part is true.

As for Campbell being traded, understand these facts; Campbell being traded will save 10 million in cap space this year. The draft is very deep in guys who can play the 5 technique. Campbell is 29 and will be looking for a big contract next year.
    If you could land a 3 and 4 for him, why not make the move ?

There is no OLB / Edge rusher I am banging the table for this year. Not in FA or the draft. It makes no sense in forcing it. Don’t sign any pass rusher to more than a year contract. make the back end stronger with a solid CB in round 1 like Alexander or Apple or sign one like Jenkins. Wait it out and see if you can get a vet for less.

The one name I have repeatedly thrown out is Cameron Wake. The dolphins are going to keep Vernon and are after Mario Williams. Wake would save a ton of money for the dolphins to take on Mario. I would keep waiting to see what happens there.

Really would like to sign Alex Boone. I just dont think he breaks the bank and he gives a toughness that Cooper lacks.

28. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Marlin –

RE: Griffin –

Let’s say Griffin were willing to settle for a role as a back-up BUT he were making a choice based on where he believed he might have the best chance of taking over as the starter. Like, soon. This year. Given Romo’s recent injury history ( only getting worse ), why would he think he is better off behind Palmer than Romo? Romo is definitely the better bet to go down injured. That shoulder of his can’t even make it through one game at this point.

But that is just one angle I’m looking at. I have no idea what Griffin wants. Hey, if he simply wanted to be in a better situation ( better coaching, better players around him, a better QB to learn from ), he would have to choose Arizona over Dallas any day.

I just don’t get the impression the Cardinals are thinking about Griffin with any interest, so…it may not matter what any of us think.

29. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

I hear some people saying they are not crazy about Irvin ( he has an attitude problem??? How do we know that??? ) and we have better options. But are these people considering that two of his former defensive coordinators ( now, both head coaches ) want him on their team now?? That seems to say a lot about this guy. His “attitude” doesn’t seem to be scaring them away.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

CreditCard;

OK, You have said this a few times so I have to say something. I don’t mean to be rude , but Henry to OLB is one of the craziest things I have heard. I am thinking it is a joke, but just in case, let me explain why that is crazy.

If Henry wanted to play OLB, he would have in college.

Drafting a guy in round one or high two and then saying, Yes, you are the Heisman winning running back, but we want to take an incredible chance and move you to a position you have never played before.

Are you good with that Mr Henry? and of course, Henry will say sure, I always wanted to rush the passer.

Then the cards will take the Heisman RB and begin the long journey of teaching him how to play OLB, with the knowledge that come september, this guy is the answer to our pass rushing issues.

Really ??

31. By clssylssy on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Darren…apologies, I reread your article which said Massie “could push his contract to $8M” (really? based on what?)…didn’t get that you were saying the Cards would move on…but, my bad.
    The reason I bring up the money part is because any time someone suggests a player would be a good addition, you usually answer that the Cards don’t have the kind of money to add a pricey playmaker and that Keim has his board with a number, etc. This year’s draft is weak , FA is rich, and I don’t blame these players wanting to make the best of their best years. Most employers reward and compensate for a job well done ,achievement ,contribution, but not the NFL where it’s as much about what you MIGHT contribute in the future.
    We all supposedly operate under the same cap yet one team may have 190 million while we have 15, and are at the end of the line in draft order…success comes with a price but I don’t see a very level playing field!
    It is what it is but, this road is well traveled!

32. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: FA is rich

But that’s the thing: FA is NOT rich. There is a reason these guys are on the market. Almost every single one will be overpaid compared to what they bring to the table. I don’t blame the players either.

As for most employers reward and compensate, I’m not saying it’s across the board, but generally — not just in the NFL but the workforce overall — I’m not so sure this is the case. Also, football is a lot different. It SHOULD be about what you can contribute, because otherwise it’s a waste. Are you a fan OK with the Cards paying a bunch of people based on what they have done and then having them not produce now? My guess is you wouldn’t be happy with that product.

33. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Scott H,

Irvin bad attitude:

That comes from his college days. Obviously, he has shown to be a good teammate and stayed out of trouble.

My issue is production. It is risky to say, here is a guy who has 20 sacks over 4 years and he is suddenly going to be in double digits in year 5.

Maybe the way the cards will use him, he will get more TEs and RBs on him, allowing more sacks, but it seems desperate to me.

34. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Hali is back with chiefs and then this;

After re-signing with the Giants, defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul revealed that the Cardinals were interested in his services as well.

“I would like to thank each and every organization that reached out to my agent during this process especially the Arizona Cardinals,” Pierre-Paul wrote on Instagram. “It was hard to decide, but me and my family decided that it’s best for me to stay in New York, just being in the NFL is a privilege and I am honored. I am truly blessed to be in this position I am in today, thank you! Now with that said I have some unfinished business to take care of in New York!”

The Cardinals reportedly offered Pierre-Paul more money than he got from the Giants, but Pierre-Paul felt comfortable staying where he was. Arizona will continue to look for a veteran pass rusher.

JPP would make sense if he had all his fingers. just not sure how you can grab with the way his hand was. Hali was never leaving KC. said that last month. no surprise.

35. By Marlin on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Scott H,
    I agree, the Cards don’t seem interested in RG3. But, the reason he might want to be in AZ as opposed to Dallas is the fact that he has been through public relations hell the past few years….and Dallas and Jerry Jones are a calamity circus. The Cards are contenders, in AZ he can fly under the radar a bit for a year, Palmer is older than Romo and is also oft injured, the coaching is better in AZ (Arians and QB’s). It likely won’t happen…..but I continue to think it has merit as a consideration.

36. By clssylssy on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Glad to see Stanton has re-signed through 2017 which will take some of the pressure off so that we don’t make a panic signing or blow another draft pick…maybe we could upgrade on Barkley should an opportunity present but, no pressure! I like this move!
    See where the Raiders signed Bruce Irvin and JPP is staying w the Giants because he doesn’t want to uproot his family (good for him). Guess not everybody sees Arizona as the promise land.

37. By Big Ken on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

So Stanton leaves. I think Barkley could be at least the new ‘game manager’ in the event Carson gets hurt. Draft a QB this year? Of course Paxton Lynch anyone?Not to overlook Drew’s legendary dance routines. The touch must be passed on.

38. By Big Ken on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Oh you got me! Just read Drew Stanton re-signs. Now what do they really think about Mr. Barkley?

39. By Robert on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

I feel like since we were looking at Bruce Irvin that we could either get Oliver Vernon, since he doesn’t have the transition tag on him anymore, or we could get Alex Mack and get pass rushers in the draft. We offered more than 10 million for JPP and Alex Mack will want 10 million. I see Vernon going for 12 million, and I think that we’ll keep two of the three secondary people, hopefully we’ll get rid of Powers, and we can get good pass rushers in the draft.

40. By liquidchaoss on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Cardinals cannot afford to sit back and wait. They have a small window for a SB run. They have maybe 2 years with this core group, more than likely though this next year is it. After that major changes will be coming.

2. Mar 12, 2016: Today’s Best Arizona Cardinals Ariticles March 12, 2016 | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog