Pierre-Paul picks Giants over Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on March 8, 2016 – 12:55 pm

Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul re-signed with the Giants today on a one-year deal, ahead of officially becoming a free agent. But the Cardinals apparently were in the mix for his services, as was pointed out on Pierre-Paul’s statement distributed on social media.

“I would like to thank each and every organization that reached out to my agent during this process especially the Arizona Cardinals,” Pierre-Paul wrote. “It was hard to decide, but me and my family decided that it’s best for me to stay in New York.”

The Cards reportedly offered more money than the $10.5 million Pierre-Paul will get on the one-year contract.

The Cardinals have reportedly been in talks with Seattle linebacker Bruce Irvin as well (along with Rams defensive lineman William Hayes) as the team tries to upgrade the pass rush. Pierre-Paul, for all his issues last year after his fireworks accident, was still attractive (and he’s counting on his one-year deal to allow him to hit the open market and get paid big next offseason, so he could be available again.) Meanwhile, the Cards continue to talk with agents as the official opening of free agency approaches at 2 p.m. Arizona time Wednesday.

Jason Pierre-Paul

Tags: , ,

33 Responses to “Pierre-Paul picks Giants over Cardinals”

1. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Wait it out on pass rushers. When you make desperate choices, you make mistakes.

be patient. As soon as Mario Williams signs with dolphins, either cameron wake or oliver vernon will be available.

I have been saying for months Wake will be released by the dolphins. In 7 games last year, he had 7 sacks. In 2014 , 11.5 sacks. This guy is older but has the burst off the edge to help the cards (ala John Abraham)

2. By D on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

I didn’t see him a good fit in a 3-4.

3. By Steve on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

JTDG- I agree that perhaps Wake might be the best pure pass rusher to possibly become available but he is 34 and I think Keim wants to get younger pass rushers, such as Irvin.

4. By All Day on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

I really hope the Irvin talk is just analysts blowing smoke because they have nothing else to report about. He’s not a game changer as a pass rusher. He had 5.5 sacks this past year. I agree about Vernon or Wake one or the other will become available and that would be a good time for us to sign one or the other. Vernon can still sign an offer sheet and the Dolphins can match so it just depends on our number we can give him. Heard a lot of talk about Campbell being shipped but I haven’t seen any actual articles on it. Personally I’d be perfectly okay dumping him now so we can get someone who can actually rush the passer, Someone like Dallas or Washington would be a good partner. I think it’s very likely that Stanton walks. He realistically could be a starter with Cleveland or Houston and I think he would rather be a starter obviously. He’s at the point in his career where money is more of a priority.

5. By joe holst on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

idiot if he thinks the Giants are going to do anything next year, his loss and I am not talking about his fingers, no pun intended

6. By raisinmxzone on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Is there any possible way that the Cardinals just try the Tristan Okpalaugo experiment instead of attempting to sign big money to Bruce Irvin or MIchael Neal? Come on, it can’t be that big of a deal, Okpalaugo had 20 sacks in two seasons with the Argonauts. Come on Arizona!

7. By Marlin on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

glad JPP passed on us. plenty of players out there with 2 hands. I agree with John the Draft Guy. Be patient.

8. By Marlin on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Does Daryl Washington still cost anything against this coming year’s cap?

9. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: DWash/cap

Still his prorated bonus money, yes.

10. By tom on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

–one thing abouts cards ,they seem to keep it close to the vest on what they are going after,and i think that is a good thing.you don’t hear tons of rumors of who they are interested in until it gets real close.

11. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Steve,

Young and unproductive or old and productive ? who do you want?

Wake has played OLB and can make the easy transition. I would also sign freeney. in a rotation with Okapalaugo and Golden, Wake and Freeney could put up double digits each.

Take a look at a guy like Cowser or Striker in round 3. Then hope next year brings better edge guys. Maybe the young guys figure it out.

12. By Steve on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

JTDG- I don’t believe Irvin had as many opportunities to rush the QB in Seattles defensive scheme simply because the Seahawks defensive front 4 was pretty good at getting to the QB. You put Bruce Irvin in our defense and allow him to rush the QB the way James Betcher likes to blitz, I’m pretty confident he will get more than 5.5 sacks, put him down for 10-14 sacks in our system. Nothing against Wake, he would be a good fallback option but he is 34 and coming off a major injury.

13. By Steve on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

I will say that I would be very surprised if the Cards do indeed land Irvin because both the other teams interested in him have much more cap$$ than we do.

14. By CreditCard on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

If the Cardinals want a Von Miller type edge rusher —- they need to draft one, and mold that person to the position. No OLB in this year’s upcoming draft is a pure athlete. However, I do believe the running back, Derrick Henry, is that type of pure athlete and has the appropriate size. Trade down, and draft Henry as a high 2nd round pick, and convert him to OLB. Yes, it may take a year for development, but I thin it would be worth it.

Other draftees to consider is the DE from Grand Valley State. Another great athlete that had over 20-sacks. Hereto, it may take a bit of time to develop him (Judan).

Lastly the kid, Hall, from Northern Iowa, has the size and range for a decent CB. Both of these DII kids could be taken in the third round.

Try to coax Freeney for another year, so that (Henry, Judan, and Golden) can train and be mentored by Freeney.

So far, the free agency market appears extremely inflated for the talent being offered.

15. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Credit —

RE: Henry

You talk about moving the Heisman Trophy-winning running back to a new position, you lose all credibility.

16. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

All Day –

RE: I think it’s likely that Stanton walks

Nope! Just saw the news that Stanton is staying right here. I’m sure JTDG is not gonna like this, but it’s working for me! I honestly didn’t think it was going to happen, but it was high on my hope list.

Palmer went down in 2014 w/out even being touched. It’s not that he’s injury prone…but that’s not the point The simple act of making a little juke to move around can shred a knee, and then what? You can either be doomed to having no chance OR you can stay competitive with a very good back-up QB. I opt for staying competitive.

For a SB caliber team, a good back-up QB is a worthwhile investment and / or insurance policy. I feel better knowing we have chance to stay viable if Palmer goes down. I could have lived with it if they had let Stanton go and used that money to up-grade at another position. But that is something that will be determined by what happens going forward. If Stanton never sees the field in 2016, people will say he is a waste of money. OK. But if Palmer goes down? And Stanton keeps us going as he did in 2014? Then, it will turn out to be some of the best money we ever spent. And that is exactly what an insurance policy is all about. It feels like a waste of money when nothing happens and you don’t need to use it. But when something does happen, it’s a damn good thing you had it ’cause you would have been screwed without it!

Anyway….I know not all will share my opinion, but I’m glad he is staying. And most people don’t share my opinions, anyway, so what the hell – I’ll be happy all by myself! 🙂

17. By Big Ken on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Yeah and remember how he hurt his hand/himself last summer. An adult horsing around with fireworks? Come on

18. By DTL on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Cant say I’m dissapointed in missing on JPP or Irvin, fwiw. Tastier fish to fry. Keimtime.

19. By All Day on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Just saw that Irvin and Williams are both picked up. Given that Williams signed with Miami and they plan to keep Cameron Wake that would suggest we go for Olivier Vernon who I really do like as an impact rusher and he’s young! Stanton stayed which doesn’t surprise. Would like to get Tashaun Gipson and Janoris Jenkins before its all said and done

20. By Mr. Know it All on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

Can’t wait to see what moves SK will make. Go Cardinals!!!

21. By MartinK on Mar 8, 2016 | Reply

I hope the Cardinals are moving on from FA edge rushers. Not worth it.
    Whether pass rush is successful can depend on the amount of pressure on the inside — the tackles sense chaos and have to worry about helping out. We have not had that kind of pressure in the middle for some time and I don’t believe our current rotation brings it. (Marcus Golden on a stunt the occasional exception) We also lack the motor and quickness on ILB.

I hope the Cardinals reconsider moving Bucannon permanently to ILB, and bring one or two players in. ILB or DT/NT tackle with power and motor. Malik Jackson
    and Danny Trevathan are gone and they were 50% of Von Miller’s production. Draft: NT Andrew Billings looks great.

Plus, coverage sacks are just as good as any. I miss having two shutdown corners.

Darren:
    Is FA CB Sean Smith a possibility? He has not been mentioned. Surprised….

22. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

MartinK —

RE: Smith

Not sure Smith, who will make the most $ as a corner, makes sense. You are already paying PP, and Mathieu is going to get a lot of money too.

23. By Eazy E on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Pierre-Paul almost was a Cardinal!? Damn that would have been the ”get” I and the Cardinal fans we’re looking for! Now, Mario is a dolphin, Irvin a raider, Tamba still a chief, you catch my drift. We better move fast and have all options open in the pass rushing category especially!

24. By Garth Short on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

While I would have liked the Cardinals to have snagged JPP, I do admire him for staying with the team that drafted him. Something about loyalty. Garth Short

25. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

JPP…Williams…Irvin…..all gone. Not that we HAD to have one of them, but it is clear that pass rushers are a popular item on the FA market. We need to get in the fight and land one of these fish before they are all gone.

26. By D on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Appears MN will sign A. Boone. Cards need to sign a free agent RG. I would not think a draft pick or Watford would be ideal at RG between a rookie RT and a possible new Center..

27. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Surprise. The dolphins are willing to keep Wake and his 10 million cap hit over Oliver Vernon. Wow.

So the 25 yr old Vernon hits the market. Good news is the Raiders are out of the market for edge rusher. The Jags may still be interested though.

But you get a guy, who is now 275 pounds, but at the combine was 260 and played college more around 250. At 260, he looked like an OLB who can drop in coverage and come off the edge. I would bring him in at about 10 mil a year and ask him to get back to his 255-260 weight.

This could be the answer to the question, who is going to be the cards edge rusher.

28. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Vernon

My expectation is that Vernon will be priced well out of the Cards’ range.

29. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

They were willing to give the one handed JPP 10.5 million.

What is ,”out of there range”.

30. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: JPP

How do you know that?

The report was the Cards offered more money.

So if they offered, say, three years, $20 million (just spitballing), that’s way more money. But it certainly isn’t $10.5 per year.

And by the way, Vernon is making $29 million in the first year of his deal. Yikes.

31. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Looks like we just found out the going rate for a young, talented pass rusher.

Vernon was rated by PFF last year as the #3 edge guy in NFL behind Von Miller and Khalil Mack. Not bad company.

Now you know why I bang the table so hard about drafting a OLB who can get to the QB.

2. Mar 8, 2016: Pass Rushers In Demand In Free Agency - NFL NEWS ECHONFL NEWS ECHO
  3. Mar 15, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | A pass rusher arrives as Coop leaves