Branch, a safety, on the way

Posted by Darren Urban on March 9, 2016 – 3:32 pm

Nothing official yet, but multiple reports have veteran safety Tyvon Branch agreeing with the Cardinals on a two-year contract. Branch, who was in Kansas City one year after seven years in Oakland, is 6-foot, 210 pounds and also ran a 4.26 40-yard dash when he first came into the league. GM Steve Keim had said he wanted to add speed in the secondary.

In 16 games – one start – for the Chiefs last season, Branch had 43 tackles, a sack and an interception. Branch, 29, was a long-time starter with the Raiders, but played in just five games his final two seasons in Oakland because of injuries.

The safety position is one in flux for the Cardinals right now. Rashad Johnson is a free agent, and his spot is the one most likely taken by Branch as free agency gets underway. Tony Jefferson is a restricted free agent who could still sign an offer sheet elsewhere — the Cardinals have the right to match any offer — and Wednesday was the first day Jefferson was able to discuss options with other teams.

Tyvon Branch, Ryan Griffin

Tags: , , , ,

19 Responses to “Branch, a safety, on the way”

1. By D on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

I liked him in Oak.

At least Seattle is losing players today..

2. By mongo73 on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

No disrespect to Tyvon Branch but, does this signing even matter. No improvement over Rashad Johnson, so equates to a lose in my book.

3. By raisinmxzone on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

This is a brilliant move, love it…Not too much money for a starting safety.

4. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

It would be a huge mistake not to bring Rashad back. The most thing on a team is camraderie and team work. Rashad was the play caller for the secondary.
    The Raiders are interested in him…..
    Also, I was hoping they would replace Stanton with someone that would be better.
    So far we are on the minus side….

I suppose Kiem and company are going to let Powers and C Johnson go…..

5. By Marlin on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Good move. A little bigger, little faster, little younger, and less cap space hit. Now we just keep DJ and TJ and get a corner and we’re good in the d backfield.

6. By rock on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Losing Rashad is losing our on-field DC

7. By clssylssy on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Hope this guy is better for us than he was for the Chiefs & started one game last season;$5 M seems a bit much. Apparently, it has been suggested he is to replace Rashard Johnson, who I believe led the Cards in interceptions and was invaluable to our defense,calling plays with a football mind & being an infield leader. Seems like a poor trade-off. I’m sure they were impressed by the forty Branch turned in YEARS ago since that was the main fault they had with Johnson. Still seems like Branch would have been a good candidate for one of Keim’s “prove it” deals.
    Was hoping Cody Fleener might be headed this way from the Colts but the Saints got him.

8. By joe holst on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

He will most likely back up, look for a high draft pick to be in the picture,.

9. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

OK, but….where is the pass rush help that everyone / anyone would agree this team desperately needs???

Man, if there was ever any doubt or question as to whether money was the most important thing during FA….I think that question has been answered. The teams with the big money to spend are making the big moves. And, sorry to say, those are the teams that are improving their pass rush.

But, just our dumb luck that the ONE guy we actually made a better offer to ( JPP ) is the ONE guy who chooses to turn down the better money to stay where it’s better for his family. Oh, for the love of God, man….can we get a friggin break here???

As of this moment, our pass rush is no better than it was two days ago. And many of the players who could have made it better are gone.

C’mon, front office….get it done. Dwight Freeney can’t be our best pass rusher again in 2016. I have to wonder if the front office is reeling a bit at this point, wondering what to do, where to look now after some of the guys the clearly wanted are gone.

10. By Cards520 on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

I trust kiem arians know what they’re doing

11. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Cards520 –

I have all the trust in the world in Keim / Arians / Bidwill. That is not the issue. Several other teams have tons of money to spend right now. We don’t. Players are going where the money is.

12. By CARDS62 on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Darren can you give odds on Rashad Johnson resigning?
    Do you think the Cardinals want him back?
    I remember it took Johnson years to catch on at Alabama and also with us, but when he gets it he gets it. Just thinking out loud that Johnson will want to stay if money is close.

Glad that Freeney wants to play in 2016 and wishes to stay a Cardinal. Agree with you Scott H we need a lot more,but like Freeney on the squad and in the locker room.

Hopefully we will draft front 7 defensive help with 2 out of our first 3 draft choice or 3 out of 4. I believe we get a second pick in the third round for losing Dan Williams.

JTDG any of the great punters in college graduate this year? Especially punter for Utah or Alabama. In what round do you think we need to draft a punter? Sorry I know it is not a sexy pick, but I want a punter.

Go Cards!

13. By Darren Urban on Mar 10, 2016 | Reply

Cards62 —

RE: Rashad

I think there is probably an offer on the table right now for Rashad. I’m guessing it’s not as much as he wants. So the ball is in his court. Given the market, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a more lucrative offer to be found elsewhere.

14. By dkerry5242 on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

Let’s just hope Branch can stay healthy.

15. By jerrytown on Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

I really wanted Olivier Vernon…until I saw his contract. These salaries are getting out of control. He’s now the 2nd highest paid defensive player and makes more than JJ Watt. And Janoris Jenkins is one of the top paid corners. And Brock Osweiler is the 9th highest paid QB. Man, I’m glad we locked up Peterson last year…

16. By Eazy E on Mar 10, 2016 | Reply

I like Tyvon, but we don’t upgrade here in my opinion. Rashad had an excellent year with 61 tackles, 6 INTs(including playoffs), 2 TFLs, 7 Pass Deflections, and a fumble recovery and started in 14 games not to mention he lined everybody up and was like a coach out there whereas Branch only started in 1 game and had some pretty nice numbers for his playing time with 43 tackles, 1 pick that went for a TD, 1 sack, and 5 Pass Deflections and he is extremely fast. Tyrann and Rashad though was emerging as one of the best safety tandems in the league and they’re numbers combined are staggering! Again, I like Branch, but I’m disappointed that Rashad most likely won’t be back to help us!

17. By clssylssy on Mar 10, 2016 | Reply

Tyson started 6 games in the last three years w only 1 in KC. As far as “replacing” Rashard, his numbers aren’t even close and the intangibles Rashard brings aren’t even in the same conversation! Can’t imagine how Keim justifies $5M and thinks this will benefit our defense if we lose RJ?

18. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 10, 2016 | Reply

Isn’t the picture above pass interference ? Back to ball, hitting receiver as he is going for ball? OK , maybe the ball was dislodged after his hit.

This signing is depth. If cards land a CB, move Bethel to nickle, Matheu is FS and Jefferson is SS, we could have Swerenger and Branch as Dime backs or depth.
    Especially on long distance, 3rd and 10 type of downs, they could have Branch deep, and bring up the Honey Badger to blitz off the edge.

We need that CB.

Cards62 –

Punter: I really do not pay attention to punters to be honest. I’m old school where the only time you think about punters is when you need one. With that being said, there is never a need to draft a punter unless he is Ray Guy. Otherwise, there will be plenty of UDFAs to choose from.

2. Mar 9, 2016: Cardinals Ease Into Free Agency - NFL NEWS ECHONFL NEWS ECHO