Weatherspoon exits as rare one-year miss

Posted by Darren Urban on March 11, 2016 – 10:18 am

Steve Keim has proved excellent at bringing in players on one-year deals and having them make an impact: Eric Winston, Matt Shaughnessy, Karlos Dansby, Antonio Cromartie, Larry Foote, Chris Johnson, Dwight Freeney. They won’t all work out, though, and Sean Weatherspoon — which looked so promising when it happened — did not work out.

Weatherspoon is re-signing with the Falcons after his one year out West. Weatherspoon only had 12 tackles in an extremely limited defensive role (he played just 125 snaps all season) over 14 games. He needed to show he could stay healthy again and he did that, although it was a red flag to his time in Arizona when he was active but didn’t play against the Rams in October and then the next week, was a healthy scratch against the Lions.

It’s hard to believe that Weatherspoon played with the first unit through the entire offseason work, although at that point, Deone Bucannon was working a lot at safety too. But training camp came, Weatherspoon’s hamstring became a problem, and when he missed most of the month, he had dug himself a hole he could never escape — especially after Kevin Minter showed more than expected when he was on the field.

To Spoon’s credit, he never sulked (although he did seem resigned to the fact early on he wasn’t moving up the depth chart). It was clear he wouldn’t be around in 2016. And that’s the upside about seeking one-year deals. Yes, sometimes a guy like a Dansby blows up and leaves for another team. Then you have a “miss” like Weatherspoon who creates no issue because his contract is up and both sides can just move on.

SpoonBlog

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Weatherspoon exits as rare one-year miss”

1. By All Day on Mar 11, 2016 | Reply

Disappointed we didn’t get one of the top pass rushers. Freeney can play still but at 36 he’s not getting any younger and we have some players getting past their prime like Calais and even Larry and Carson. Pass rusher is something we need to address now so we can address the other areas later. The draft is our last shot this year but I don’t want to force a pick.

2. By Scott H on Mar 11, 2016 | Reply

Wait…Weatherspoon was here last year?? Geez…who knew?

Wonder if the Falcons even knew he was gone….

He is a good guy and I wish him well. But for the love of God, please don’t let this be another Tedd Ginn-like scenario, ya know? Come here for a year, disappear, go back to your former team, and have your best season ever. Doesn’t seem likely, but…..geez, who thought Ginn was gonna have a season like HE just had?

3. By LadyBird04 on Mar 11, 2016 | Reply

Don’t know if I’d call Spoon a miss by Keim, injuries happen and once he fell down the depth chart, it was almost impossible to get starting reps. Not only did Minter grow into his abilities, it would have disrupted the “chemistry” the regulars had developed by the time Spoon was healthy enough to get back on the field. I'[m glad for him that he has found another chance with Atlanta.

4. By Steve on Mar 11, 2016 | Reply

Good riddance, talked a big game and didn’t deliver.

5. By Eazy E on Mar 12, 2016 | Reply

This one shocked the heck out of me! I envisioned he and Daryl and got neither although Minter staved off ”bust” labels at least for another year and Bucannon really came on!

6. By Jon on Mar 12, 2016 | Reply

Re: Scott H —

Man, talk about reading my mind. My first thought was, just please don’t let this be another Ted Ginn moment lol.

(I still totally agree with the decision to get rid of Ginn, the guy was terrible. Still though)

7. By Scott H on Mar 12, 2016 | Reply

Jon –

Thanks! I wish we had never bothered with Ginn at all. He looked like a very good aquisition, coming off the season he had had with Carolina the year before. But he came here and just totally disappeared. Did NOTHING of note for this team. Then, that little…..ugh, I can’t even say what I want to here…..goes back to Carolina and blows the roof off.

He actually made me wish the NFL had a reparations policy, whereby teams could sue to get their money back for players who SHOULD be found guilty of non-performance. HE, in 2014, could have been been THE player who could have brought such a policy to the table for discussion.

On Super Bowl Sunday, I was totally ALL IN with the Broncos for the very reason that I didn’t want to see guys like Derek Anderson and Tedd Ginn get Super Bowl rings. I wish WE could have stopped them, but….I am grateful the Broncos did.

8. By clssylssy on Mar 13, 2016 | Reply

I don’t think the Falcons would have let him go in the first place had he have been healthy enough to make a contribution so, this stop-gap attempt essentially gave us a bit of depth and gave Spoon a little paid R&R in a setting that provided rehab AND vaca. These short timers seem more successful when the contracts are incentive based giving the players the opportunity to rebuild their creds as well as their bodies as others have done. Usually a lot of these Vets have a special place in their heart for the place they’ve built their career & will always choose to go “home”. I really don’t see Weatherspoon as a bust because he happened to be low on the depth chart, maybe we just got what we paid for and depth is always worth something.
    I’m sure Q would never come back but I’d rather see him out there with Fitz than Floyd,who has the skills but seems to sometimes lack the grit and tenacity. Boldin is still considered one of the best veteran receivers in FA & will be a Freeney type signing for the right team.

9. By Richard Williaks on Mar 20, 2016 | Reply

I heard the cards takjed ti free agebt Karlos Dansby., but i didn.t hear anhthing else. Are th cards of sigbibg him/?He is a smart player.,