T Andre Smith says he’ll visit Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on March 14, 2016 – 4:56 pm

Free-agent tackle Andre Smith, a former No. 1 pick of the Bengals who has started 73 of the 82 NFL games in which he has appeared, visited the Vikings Monday. And he told St. Paul Pioneer-Press writer Chris Tomasson that he was supposed to visit the Cardinals as well.

“It’s between (the Vikings) and Arizona. It’s even,” Smith told Tomasson.

It’s an interesting possibility. Smith, who has been the starting right tackle for the Bengals since 2011 (he was drafted in 2009), would seemingly be looking for a starting job and not just to be depth. The Cardinals, of course, have 2015 No. 1 pick D.J. Humphries sitting there after not being active for any games in 2015. And they have Jared Veldheer as a starting left tackle. If Smith were to sign with the Cards, does that mean a competition between the three (Humphries is a natural left tackle, after all). Would someone be asked to play guard? Intriguing to say the least.

Then again, maybe the Cardinals just want Smith for depth and Smith is trying to use what leverage he can in getting a better deal from Minnesota.

It was quiet around the Cardinals’ facility Monday. No word on how things have progressed, if at all, with free agent cornerback Leon Hall or free agent guard Amini Silatolu.

Andre Smith

Tags: , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “T Andre Smith says he’ll visit Cardinals”

1. By raisinmxzone on Mar 14, 2016 | Reply

Darren, Do you think that the Cardinals could draft a receiver after Bruce said this is the slowest wide receiver class he’s seen?

Also, Are the Cardinals trying to see what they have in Markus Golden, Tristan Okpalaugo, Shaq Riddick, Alex Okafor, and Zach Wagenmann before they commit to a free agent?

Thanks Darren.

2. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

raisin —

RE: WR/pass rushers

Regardless of what B.A. says, yes, I think they could take a receiver.

As for pass rushers, I think they wanted to sign one. I think there may have only been one or two they thought were worth it, however, and they are off the board.

3. By georgiebird on Mar 14, 2016 | Reply

DJ Humphries ? Troy Niklas? Cooper?
    Bad draft choices are so costly in the long run. So sad.

4. By Eazy E on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

I’ve always liked Andre since he was at Alabama. He is a very good player and he’s a proven tackle. He seems to always be a free agent or on a 1 year contract with Cincy. He would be in my opinion penned in as the starting RT. Humphries ain’t beating him out and Watford would probably be the favorite at RG over Coop. I hope we beat out the Vikings for Andre! Let’s go Cardinals!

5. By Cardinal's Chick on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Darren…

What are your thoughts about Chris Johnson? I’ve read that other teams are interested in him. Do you know if the Cardinal’s made an offer? We had success last year with both CJ and DJ. I understand the salary cap is always a concern. But it would seem that a contract could be structured similar to last year. And, with Andre Ellington being rather injury prone, I would think CJ is the better option of the 2.

DJ made quite an impression last year. But, I imagine we want to keeps some depth in the position…?

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Chick —

RE: CJ

The cap won’t be a concern for CJ. They aren’t going to pay him a huge deal. If he is willing to come in for something similar to last year, I’m sure they’d love to have him back. Can he get more elsewhere? Maybe. That’ll be his choice.

7. By D on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

As the Cards in the process of Bargain shopping for depth, thinking it’s a good time for another mock draft.

The market for pass rushers was just not feasible and I applaud Mr. Keim on not over paying. If they want a veteran pass rusher for 2016, they can put more incentives in Mr. Freeney’s offer and bring him back to the nest.

Round 1– K. Dodd/N. Spence/E. Ogbah. AZ needs a young OLB across from Golden. I believe Okafor is not a long term solution. The 3 names above are listed as most likely one or all being available at #29. I don’t see AZ moving up and I see this as still the most glaring need. If you have short term memory issues, watch the Panther game and buy some Ginkgo.

Round 2– M. Canady CB-big tall Corner to develop. Most likely the 4th corner in 2016 behind PP, Bethel and a Veteran signee to come.

Round 3– M. Tuerk Center. I don’t believe Cooper or AQ would be an upgrade from Lyle S. Cards need a young Center.

Round 4– J. Ward DT IL. A project to learn behind C. Campbell. I believe with Campbell, Peters Gunter as starters and Rucker, Stinson, Mauro and X. Williams the Dline is set for 2016. It’s good to have a young DL player in the fold to replace Campbell when its time.

Round 5– B. Shell OT. Good to have a young OT to groom. Cards will sign a Veteran OT or G to compete for starting. They also have Watford that can play both G/OT, so besides Center at this point in time, they should be fine.

Round 6– K. Frazier FS. Tall athletic DB. Cards will see how Jefferson and Swearinger plays this year, you know the HoneyBadger will be a long term Card with a soon to be new contract that can play the slot and or S.

Along with Freeney, I could see another 1 yr deal to C. Johnson as the Veteran in the RB room again. Cards also need to sign a Long snapper.

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

D —

RE: Mock draft

You are forgetting a fifth-round pick.

9. By Jon on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Hey Darren

I know they said that they were going to try Cooper at center why haven’t they tried to go after Wisenewski? I would think they would be able to get him in there and be a great piece to that O-line.

10. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Jon —

RE: Center

Don’t know. Maybe his price is too high. Maybe they simply don’t like his game.

11. By JosEPh on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

RE: Wasted Draft picks?

Really georgiebird? Your dislike and distrust for SK is underwhelming to say the least. And you do make some really over the top statements.

12. By clssylssy on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

I read where Chris Johnson may have a new contract this week and have the sick feeling it’s not with the Cards. Seems like the Cards have never known a good thing when they’ve had it and now seem to think David Johnson will be bullet proof and last the entire season carrying the whole load?
    It’s really hard to get too excited about the small positive moves when some of our best assets may be allowed to walk out the door. We seem to be going from a team with “few needs”to looking pretty weak on the depth chart.
    Money says BA will take another receiver and back in the draft (his weakness) even though the talent isn’t there and our defense is looking shakey at best.

13. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Chris Johnson/best assets

We’ll see what happens. The Cardinals have found a way to make the roster work the last couple of years even when good players leave, right?

This is what you wrote on a blog comment last August when it first broke that the Cardinals were talking about signing Chris Johnson:

“Chris Johnson??? The same guy the Titans and Jets cut??? One has to wonder if he can’t cut it with the Titans or the Jets why we would want him over Steven Jackson, Pierre Thomas or even Ray Rice.”

The Cards will figure it out even if CJ doesn’t return.

14. By Joe C. on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Darren, I enjoy your blog and your responses. Here’s what I think. Cards are set at QB, WR, TE. RB is almost set, non starter type needed. OL is pretty good, maybe one starter (center) or else good depth type. Defense, DL is good. ILB is good. OLB is area of minor concern. Pass rusher is what’s needed and that ain’t easy to fill. DB’s should be area of focus. Add a strong CB and I’m not sure what is up at safety. HB, Rashad and TJ were a great combo. I think bring TJ back would be smart. Honestly I’d take BPA in the draft. I’d go DB if its a tie. Maybe center. Of course pass rusher and QB if they scream out when you are picking. No doubt we’re contenders until the games start maybe all year. Any thoughts?

15. By Dr. G. on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Well, the conversation on Cooper is over. Enter – Chandler Jones. Now, the task is the contract that looms big. Good pick up Keim! You may have just plugged our biggest hole…

16. By Dr. G. on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

What can you say about Keim? If he gets Smith to sign, he has his guy for the right side, now that Cooper is gone…. Keim, even if not, you are rockin’ it again in FA…

17. By Cardinal's Chick on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Chandler Jones huh….well well well…now this is getting interesting. I’m not sad about losing Cooper. SK said the pass rush was going to be the priority. After a quiet first week of FA I feel a little better.

18. By Kevin S Mesa on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Clssylssy —

Running back is the least of our problems. No one thought, going into last year, that CJ was even going to be the featured back. Everyone thought it would be Ellington and that CJ was a guy who could take the load of 8-10 or so carries a game to keep Ellington at around 15. And that’s exactly how week 1 went, with Ellington running 12 times for 5.8 yards per carry before getting hurt. CJ ran 10 times for 37 yards.

David Johnson is better than either of them. Depth is nice, but paying a lot of money to CJ to spell DJ for a few carries a game doesn’t make sense (especially if Ellington is also still in the mix). You can’t keep all the guys you’d like to have and still have money left over for impact FA’s. CJ served his purpose for 2015, but if he wants to follow the money after his resurgence, then so be it.

19. By clssylssy on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Darren…yes, I said that and will be the first to admit when I’m wrong. CJ was a gift, a very pleasant surprise and he absolutely deserves to get paid as he was playing for next to nothing by the Cards. And, we’ve been lucky the last few years because we’ve had some great core players. Just wonder how long our run will last after this year. If it hadn’t been for CJ we wouldn’t have had the season we did as Ellington was again broken and DJ wasn’t ready. CJ showed us a RB can be tough , fearless while not being Marshawn Lynch!

20. By Joe C. on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Well, isn’t that what I just said? I’d still take BPA but center/safety are the only real needs this team has. I’m not sure how great a need any of them are. Bring back Powers and TJ and with the increased pass rush they’ll be fine. Hall looks great here as well. Not to mention Bethel and Brooks. I’m sure I’m missing some other talent in the secondary we already have. I hope Rashad gets a payday or comes back. He deserves a nice contract but I’d like to see him back.

21. By Scott H on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Well, great day in the morning – hello Chandler Jones! I would say that is a pretty sweet deal for the Cardinals! Wonder how Pats fans are feeling about it….but who cares? For a 26-year old who has posted the sack numbers Jones has since 2012, I am more than fine with spending the 2nd round pick.

Damn, I love this trade! I was hoping SOMETHING was going to happen after we missed on Irvin and JPP. And I was hoping that SOMETHING was going to be a trade for a true pass rusher. Didn’t know who that pass rusher might be or what we might have to give up to get him, but this deal is workin’ for me right now. Very nicely done, front office. The Cardinals are a win-now team and this is a win-now move.

As for Cooper….Um…I won’t say he was a bust, but I know some others have not hesitated to go there. To say the least, he has had a hard time getting off the ground in Arizona. Or, should I say, a hard getting on the field. The recent news that there was going to be an experiment to try him out at center just wasn’t coming across as very good news – for Cooper OR the Cardinals. OK. Let him go to NE and see if he can get off the ground there. He seems more like a throw-in in this deal. The 2nd rounder is clearly what the Pats are getting here.

Darren – regarding Jones, is his current contract up after this season? Just wondering but NOT worrying! I’d much rather “worry” about doing a new deal with him next off-season than not having a legit pass rusher THIS season.

Suddenly, their looking at an O-lineman makes a whole lot more sense.

And, I hope we are STILL planning on having Freeney back for 2016. Because the presence of a guy like Jones makes Freeney even more dangerous. And that is what I want from the Cardinals this season – a whole lotta’ more dangerous on defense!

So much for “easing” into FA! I think I just felt the ground move….’bout damn time!

Nice job, front office.

22. By vandyman2424 on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Hahahaha. Clssylssy just got “Trumped” by Darren!! Don’t you just hate it when your own words come back to haunt you??

23. By Scott H on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Wow….Darren just served notice that he won’t hesitate to go back in the archives to remind you of what you said 7-8 months ago. That’s scary, man! Straight up gangster ( as far as media guys go ).

24. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Archives

Funny thing was I was looking for something else and happened to come across that.

25. By clssylssy on Mar 15, 2016 | Reply

Kevin…I never suggested CJ be the number 1 RB but better than Ellington and a solid number 2 man; Johnson & Johnson has a good ring and RBs don’t seem to last so always good to have solid backup as our run game has developed into a respectable alternative and weapon.
    Moving along…things are getting interesting and we appear to be shaking things up at last! Thank you

26. By Richard L on Mar 16, 2016 | Reply

Darren, I guess clssylssy is now in the Daryl Washington file

27. By Mike S on Mar 16, 2016 | Reply

Darren–
    Do think the Cards are likely to grab Temple’s Tyler Matackevich in the 3rd round if he is still there? BA coached at Temple, and Tyler won the award as best college LB having amassed 100+ tackles in all 4 college seasons. there are questions about his size, but not his heart. He is a flat-out tackling machine, a la Luke Keuchly.

28. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2016 | Reply

Mike S —

RE: Temple LB

I have no idea. Don’t think they’ll take a Temple guy just because B.A. coached there. Questions about size aren’t good, but we’ll see.

2. Mar 15, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | A pass rusher arrives as Coop leaves