Agent issue puts Campbell contract on hold

Posted by Darren Urban on March 17, 2016 – 3:29 pm

Right now, defensive tackle Calais Campbell is scheduled to enter the last year of his contract with a $9.5 million salary and a salary cap hit of $15.25M. Both are sizable numbers that would seem to be open for a contract extension to lessen such a burden.

As of now, the Cardinals have not broached that subject with Campbell. They might not. But they couldn’t even if they wanted to.

“I don’t have an agent yet,” Campbell said.

Campbell’s agent had been Ben Dogra. Dogra, after an investigation, was in January suspended by the NFLPA for three years. Dogra can represent players while he appeals, but Campbell believes it makes sense to make a switch so nothing could mess up upcoming negotiations. Campbell has been meeting with agents and thinks he is close to a decision. The Cardinals have asked Campbell who his agent is — he just doesn’t have an answer quite yet.

“Once I figure out what I want to do and tell (the team) things will probably move along,” Campbell said. “I haven’t really given them the chance, which kind of sucks. I feel bad. But it’s the way things have fallen together.”

CCContractBlog

Tags: ,

32 Responses to “Agent issue puts Campbell contract on hold”

1. By Ditship on Mar 17, 2016 | Reply

He should see if Russell Okung wants to represent him!

2. By CreditCard on Mar 17, 2016 | Reply

On a different subject … nice signing of Chris Johnson, Evan Mathis and Chandler Jones. Hope to sign Hall and Tony Jefferson. I think Rashad Johnson is getting to be more a coach than a player — I am in hopes one day he becomes a Cardinal coach. Rashad Johnson is one of my favorite players, but it looks like it might not (pardon the pun) be in the Cards.

Hope Keim and Campbell’s agent can restructure his contract. Not knowing much, but I think a deal can be reached.

Lastly, with all these veteran signings … who will play special teams?

3. By Jon on Mar 17, 2016 | Reply

With the signing of CJ and DJ as our possible number one back. Ellington is on his last year of his contract, what are the chances of the Cards trading him>

4. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

Jon, Scott H —

RE: Ellington

Why would they trade him. Explosive change-of-pace out of backfield for little cost.

I expect Ellington to be in the mix. Better receiver than CJ.

5. By CreditCard on Mar 17, 2016 | Reply

Ryan Clady would look nice I cardinal red. Denver Broncos wan to make a trade.

6. By Eazy E on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

I hope we’ll be able to get this done not only for Calais, but for our cap room! Calais is a beast and a monster, but he disappears a little too often for a guy of his stature. I understand he gets doubled and even tripled all the time, but he has high expectations on him because he is a beast and I would love to see that almost every time he steps his big feet on that field! He’s a great player that can be even better let me put it like that!

7. By dan on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

Extension? Really? This guy disappears more than the invisible man………when does he ever step up when the game is on the line? Hardly puts pressure on the QB……..he’s only good at stopping the run and every once in a while shows up when he’s beating some stiff. Not worth the money………….get’s called out by coaches and still doesn’t have the ability to show up on a consistent basis like a true “superstar”……….he’s average at best.

8. By GARY HICKERSON on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

I think that it will be very difficult for teams to block both CAMPBELL AND JONES someone is going to get to the Quarterback,good trade for Jones. Now I just hope the cards can restructure Campbell’s contract!!

9. By M Adam on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

Calais is a STUD. I don’t care what you say about him “disappearing.” He never was a speed rusher. He’s an inside guy, sort of an outside guy, and can tie up defenders like nobody’s business. His play is going to open up an edge like you’ve never seen before in RedSea when you add Chnadler Jones to the mix. Together, these dudes are going to DESTROY one half of the line. Remember how good Calais was when Abraham was edge rushing? How many sacks did he have then huh? Exactly. This will be twice as scary.

10. By All Day on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

I think the hate on Calais is a little harsh because of the way the Defensive End position has changed over the recent years. He’s best as a 3 technique which is more of a run stuffer not a pass rusher where as Chandler Jones would be a 5 technique which gets him to the Passer because he’s lined up outside of the tackle. I think Calais is one of the best 3 techniques in the game given what they are usually more asked to do but since he’s a “Defensive end” people think he should get 15 sacks a year because of his position but with him and Jones they should be a good duo and both will see good production this season not to mention Golden is coming into his second year and will be coming from the opposite edge I’m sure

11. By Steve on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

I know I will get torched for saying this but I think the Cards can do better than Markus Golden at OLB, he is solid, however I like him more as a backup and would prefer more of speed rush guy such as Noah Spence or Leonard Floyd should they be available in the draft. Someone to pair with Chandler Jones and who can get double digit sacks every season.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

Steve,

Golden;

Tough to argue with you on the issue. Golden has showed flashes, but is a young player who may or may not become a good pass rusher.

Okafer had 8 sacks and looked like he was going to make the jump and then went backwards.

I don’t think that will happen to Golden. I think he is a solid young guy who will improve. But I said the same for Okafer.

The Denver Broncos had Miller and Ware, but traded up to land a pass rusher in round 1 (Ray). The Chiefs had Hali and Houston, yet drafted Dee Ford in round one.

Point is, you never have too many pass rushers. Lets say Golden puts up 8-10 sacks, would it be a real problem to have Noah Spence rotating in with Jones and Golden?

So, if the cards drafted Shaq Lawson, Floyd, or Spence, it wouldn’t be a wasted pick. Or, even if the looked in round 3 at a specialist (pass rusher) in Eric Striker, who could blitz from all sorts of angles, how could that be bad?

13. By Scott H on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Ellington

I only asked if you had any thoughts, I didn’t say he should be traded. I considered that a possibility, but I have NO PROBLEM with him staying right here.

Explosive, change of pace back? Yes. Quite injury-prone? Yes.

14. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Ellington

You weren’t the only one who asked about him. I was just covering my bases with all the questions.

15. By DTL on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

Wheel and crossing routes:

soem of the most excitin gplays I’ve ever seen are Ellingtorn and DJ on these routes. Ellington is now freed from “the load” maybe he can stay in the lineup and be that extra slot or 4 set receiveras well as RB. He’s really really fast when he’s well.
    Line up DJ in backfiled, JJ Nelson, John Brown, Ellington wide with Fitz…who are you going to cover these guys with? Looking for big year Ellington. Also, unreal, we’ve 5 TEs back and any or all could have good years…

Watched some film on-line of Tevon and Evan, oh my. I wondered if we missed our SB chance last year, best squad we ever had. This team looks to be better already, and draft still ahead.

Chandler Jones add and Red Bryant return may make Calais better too. Jones, so personable, and a work out fiend, like Mathis.

Wow. #SB51.. or …

16. By DTL on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

Special Teams: read comments above. Lots of vets and none of top 3 RBs play. read Young Bidwill requested rule change to ahve 48 actice game day. Good idea even if we didnt have current roster setup. Keeps guye fresher, fewer injuries if can go a bit deeper….

17. By Scott H on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

I always wonder if those who are so critical of Campbell remember that he also plays on ST’s…..

On another topic, I never mentioned it but how ’bout Adrian Wilson being out there as an ambassador for the Cardinals and making referals ( like Mathis )??!! How cool is that? I am guessing that when you hear something from a guy like Wilson, you listen. The fact that such a warrior of a player pretty much spent his whole career here – recently – says a lot on its own. But when that player is going out of his way to to tell you that the Arizona Cardinals are the place you want to be…how do you NOT believe it? Chris Johnson believes it. Gresham believes it. Fitz has believed it all along. Palmer believes it. Could go on and on, but the point is obvious – this organization has come SOOOOOO far from where it was not so long ago.

18. By erik on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

Serious question here. How long until Karlos Dansby is back? It makes perfect sense to bring him back and he would be an immediate upgrade over Minter. This one, to me, seems like the biggest no brainer. Bring back Los!!!

19. By steve on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

JTDG- Drafting another pass rusher or two would be a very good thing for the Cards to do, I agree. I like Golden’s game for the most part, he plays hard to the the whistle and is relentless, just don’t see him as an edge-bender kind of pass rusher. I hope he will prove me wrong and develop into an 8-12 sacks per year kind of LB.

20. By Richard L on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

And the dog ate my homework

21. By Richard L on Mar 18, 2016 | Reply

JTDG,

Wasted picks – guess your certain the injury bug will never affect our pass rushers.

22. By dan on Mar 19, 2016 | Reply

I guess Freeney couldn’t even make Campbell better……….Campbell has never had more than 10 sacks in a season……….I mean, he can’t even fake out Peyton Manning in the open field.

23. By DTL on Mar 19, 2016 | Reply

Q: appears Rashad to Titans (assuming so), who will then be our center fielder? Multiple guys or one mainstay as last line of defense? Rashad was very good (10 Ints 2 years) seeing field, but also gave up a number of crucial big plays when he was the last guy with a chance. Thoughts? Is our new CF (S) on the roster?

24. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 19, 2016 | Reply

Richard L,

re-read my comments. I said drafting a pass rusher would NOT be a wasted pick.

25. By Scott H on Mar 19, 2016 | Reply

dan –

How often were Freeney and Cambell actually on the field together? Campbell is an every down guy, Freeney is pretty much situational. And, how do you know Campbell wasn’t making Freeney better?

I’m pretty sure that when Campbell is on the field, he is being paid a lot of attention to. If that is the case, maybe that is why he isn’t as dominant as people think he SHOULD be. And, maybe the attention he draws DOES help the other guys.

Yeah, I wish Campbell would get a few more sacks than he does and I wish he played a little meaner sometimes. But he’s still a heck of a player. Blows my mind that he is as un-appreciated as he is by many within the very fan base of the team he has played his whole career for.

26. By Grandpa Black on Mar 20, 2016 | Reply

Okafor is the missing piece for me. With the addition of Chandler, the idea of adding a DE in the draft and having Golden Alex seems more as depth rather than being a valuable piece last season. If Okafor can stay healthy without cutting himself our defense could be dynamic.

27. By Scott H on Mar 20, 2016 | Reply

Grandpa Black –

I would agree that we lost something when we lost Okafor. But I think it was clear that THE missing piece was Matthieu. The whole defense took a step down after he went out.

But with EVERYONE healthy….this defense should be terrorizing people.

28. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 21, 2016 | Reply

Steve Keim took over officially in the offseason of 2013. Since this is the slow time leading up to the draft, I thought I would take a look back at the job he is doing.

The PROS;

The most significant move Keim made was to hire Bruce Arians.
    Fans and even players were down on the team in 2012. It looked like we returned to our losing ways after a brief run from 2007-2009. BA changed the attitude of the organization and fan base to believing the can win it all. It is funny, fans use to just want to be respectful. Now anything short of a super bowl is unacceptable.

If hiring BA was #1 move, this was #1A.
    The trade with the Raiders for Carson Palmer. Without a QB, the cards struggled. Landing Palmer gave us a true, solid QB and stabilized things.

Chandler Jones;
    What a great trade to get one of the top pass rushers in the NFL in his prime. He made the defense a lot better with this move. And with his comment “Booyah” , he knows it.

The 1 year deals;
    Dansby, Foote, Cromartie, Abraham, Freeney, and Chris Johnson. All these players made significant contributions to this team.

The signing of the Oline;
    Jared Veldheer is the first true LT we had in many years. Then, to follow up in the next two years with Iupati and Mathis. SK has began to assemble a legit Oline.

Round 3 in the draft;
    We have seen 3 years of drafts and round 3 have been homeruns. Tyrann Matheu is the heart and soul of the defense. John Brown is not just the deep threat, but so much more. Then, David Johnson emerged as a real threat at RB in 2015. If every pick could be like his round 3 picks, we would be loaded.

The CONS:

Round one of the draft;
    Cooper, Bucannon and Humphries were not good picks. Cooper flopped. Forget the injuries, the guy was never going to be worthy of the 7th overall pick. Humphries never even dressed out. That is not a good sign.
    Now Bucannon, some would argue, as a great pick. But he was picked to play safety. It was someone on the coaching staff who moved him to LB after Washington’s foolishness. His in the box style may have been a liability at safety.

Round two produces average players;
    Kevin Minter has shown he is a guy who can’t play sideline to sideline and is a liability in coverage. Most fans are wanting an upgrade Troy Niklas has strugged to stay healthy and get on the field. Then Marcus Golden is a try-hard player that coaches will love because of attitude and hard work. As a pass rusher, I don’t see him ever being dominate.

Too many misses after round 3;
    Earl Watford, Stephan Taylor, Ryan Swope, DC Jefferson, Kareem Martin, Logan Thomas, Walt Powell, Shaq Riddick and Gerald Christian. When you couple that with the misses in round one and the so-so players in round two, and bubble players like Okafer and Stinson, the draft has only yielded 6-7 significant players out of the 21 picks. He is hitting .333.

Overall, Keim has built a legitimate playoff and Super Bowl contender. The trades for Palmer and Jones, and with the signings of the Olineand a few key draft picks (see round 3), has made SK one of the best GMs in the NFL.

29. By Dr. G. on Mar 21, 2016 | Reply

JTDG – – au contraire… Selecting Arians was the 2nd most important move.

The most important decision in 2013 was made by MichaelB…. He elevated SKeim to run the show. Don’t mind my edit…I like your stuff generally.

I believe BA’s ((occasional ready, fire, aim approach)) is throttled a bit by Keim’s more cerebral, mature posture. BA is best with the jocks, pizza and beer guys…makes a fantastic combo for winning with attitude. Later

30. By Dr. G. on Mar 21, 2016 | Reply

jtdg… I thought long ago we agreed that from 6 or 7 picks, if a team has about 2 or 3 successes in the immediate, that we were good to go. The remainder usually take some time to get it together or exit stage left. Thus, the FA deals to compensate… Executive of the years twice…the pros know stuff.

Keim & Co. has done a superb job since 2013 now that he has the final say, save for Bidwill. The draft is still a crap shoot! So far, Keim has rolled lots of 7s coming out.

31. By Dr. G. on Mar 21, 2016 | Reply

Just FYI FANS…. my research on drafted player retention has some interesting conclusions…eg., just over 50% of all players chosen after round 3 are still on any team roster in year 3. Some of these men would not be there if it were not for retirement attrition, injuries, and suspensions.

This % is standard expectation not to be criticized. More stats if requested.

So, as stated, it is still a critical process with hidden surprises. There are exceptions, as we know…and it usually comes as a surprise after diligent assessment. Go Keim & Co …Go Cards

2. Mar 31, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Campbell gets an agent, and the cap