Former Card Colledge joins military

Posted by Darren Urban on March 22, 2016 – 2:59 pm

It’s not quite Pat Tillman choosing the Army Rangers, but it’s pretty similar: former Cardinals guard Daryn Colledge, who last played in 2014, tweeted today that with his football career over, he was joining the National Guard for the next eight years.

“After a year of retirement, a much needed vacation and overdue time with my family, I’ve decided to hit the free agent market,” Colledge wrote in part. “After much deliberation, and discussion, I’m proud to sign my longest-term deal of all time, 8 years, and have enlisted in the Army National Guard. After all my time in the NFL, traveling, meeting, and supporting the troops, I’ve decided to step up and stand shoulder to shoulder with them.

“This was not a decision made lightly. We live in an ever-changing world, at at this time in my life I feel it is best served with me in defense of my family, state, country.”

Colledge played for the Cardinals from 2011 to 2013, finishing his career with a season in Miami. Before the Cardinals, Colledge won a Super Bowl playing with the Packers. A good guy who always had a solid perspective. When the Cardinals cut him, he tweeted the Cardinals were a “great organization heading the in the right direction.” Given all that is going on in the world — and thoughts remain with those impacted by today’s events in Brussels — it’s a big step entering into any part of the military. Here’s acknowledging Colledge’s brave decision.

ColledgeBlog

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “Former Card Colledge joins military”

1. By D on Mar 22, 2016 | Reply

Wow, his wife and family need big time Recognition.

2. By DTL on Mar 22, 2016 | Reply

Godspeed Daryn. It is shades of Pat Tillman, he could be in the line of fire in time, the way this thing is going, and unless we close that border and fix the visa loopholes.

3. By JimmiP on Mar 22, 2016 | Reply

Thank you Mr Colledge, it’s young men like you who help make this a great country. Good luck in your new career!

4. By Dr. G. on Mar 22, 2016 | Reply

Daryn has always seemed like a good guy and this is a good thing for him to do. He will get more from it that he can contribute. It will be way bigger than he can imagine. In all likelihood, he will be home every night with his family, and attached to a local National Guard Unit, perhaps with only monthly weekend duty.

Tillman’s emotional International commitment to the Army Rangers in combat zones can in now way be compared…no disrespect to Colledge. It is best to contribute than to stand back and watch. Good Luck Daryn…

5. By scott on Mar 22, 2016 | Reply

Dr G, as a national guard member who has deployed many times. He is doing a good thing and the guard is just as important as regular army. In some ways it is harder to go away for those weekends or deployments when you have a job outside of army. Please don’t compare the two guys and say one did more than another. Unless you have been part of the 1 percent that has joined or served. You do not know what you are talking about or have the same commitment that both of these guys have.

6. By Big Ken on Mar 23, 2016 | Reply

Hope he’s going to like a new hair style.

7. By clssylssy on Mar 23, 2016 | Reply

I have always liked Daryn and have nothing but respect and admiration for him making the decision to serve our country. Certainly,he had other job opportunities available and a contract with the military wouldn’t be on my he list for many players with families especially during these very violent and tumultous times. Thank you sir, for your commitment to our country and way of life!

8. By Scott H on Mar 23, 2016 | Reply

I wish him the best and I thank him for his services to our country. May he return safely.

9. By Dr. G. on Mar 23, 2016 | Reply

Scott…sorry to touch a judgmental nerve here. You seem to challenge. FYI, my military perspective comes as a patriotic VFW veteran… many years active duty in the US Navy. What I posted is true. I was also a weekend warrior afterward…I know the drill.

To repeat for you…. It is better to contribute than to stand back and watch. Any service is good; and they differ in their coordinated missions. I wear Tillman’s jersey to commemorate him as a hero. Others agree to the degree of honoring him with a statue outside our arena…and to name the Pat Tillman Bridge across the Colorado River after him…I hope you pay tribute on your next trip…be well.

10. By truths4all on Mar 25, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G, I too take exception to your comments.

I had a Nasty Girl cover my back while did Overwatch. He kept me safe more than a few times after I was targeted.

We also sent home just as many Guardsmen casualities. They bled and died exactly as did any of the Grunts and Jarheads who had to venture outside the Wire.

None of us had the luxury and creature comforts of being stationed far away from IEDs, RPGs, and bullets in a safe Navy ships; the exceptions being Navy Lifeguards who are a totally different breed apart from normal sailors.

There are many National Guardsmen buried in Arlington due recent conflicts. How are their sacrifices and loss to their families any less than full timers? Your words and attitude are disrespectful to them as well as to all of us who have had to venture outside of the Wire.