The Cardinals’ exact draft picks

Posted by Darren Urban on March 29, 2016 – 8:02 am

With the draft about a month away, the official draft order was announced Tuesday of all seven rounds. The Cardinals currently have six picks: One each in rounds one, three, four and six, two in the fifth, and none in the second or seventh. That could change if GM Steve Keim decides to wheel and deal at some point. The picks in the grand scheme of the draft:

— First (29th overall)
— Third (92nd)
— Fourth (128th)
— Fifth (167th)
— Fifth (170th)
— Sixth (205th)

The draft’s first round will be held April 28th beginning at 5 p.m. Arizona time (8 p.m. ET). The second and third round are April 29th starting at 4 p.m., and the final four rounds are Saturday starting at 9 a.m.

Tags:

28 Responses to “The Cardinals’ exact draft picks”

1. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

My mock draft for the 2016 AZ Cardinals;

Round 1 – #29 over all – Mackenzie Alexander CB
    Alexander is in the same mold as Josh Norman and Richard Sherman. He can come up and press a wr and take him out of a game. He also has the attitude and mouth of those guys also. He is a little smaller than Norman and Sherm, but with the cards, he isn’t asked to match up with the best receiver, that is PP’s job. His coverage skills gives that extra second for Jones to get to the QB.

Round two – trade for Jones (you couldn’t have drafted better than Jones)

Round 3 – 92nd overall – Center Max Tuerk. Big, tall guy who looks like a LT. Good feet and drops his center to take on NTs. This guy is a poor mans Alex Mack.

Round 4 – 128th overall – WR Jordon Payton – Why? Reminds me of Donte Moncrief of the Colts. Does everything well. Can block from the slot, has 4.3 speed which can be used on crossing patterns as well as getting deep. The reality is, we just watched Calvin Johnson walk away and there have been hints Larry might be gone. This is a guy who can step in when that day comes. He fits the BA mold.

Round 5 – 167th overall – QB Jacoby Brissett, This is a tough one because I do like Kevin Hogan also. Hogan is more pro ready but doesn’t have a huge ceiling, where Brissett could be a starter in this league. Big, strong, athletic, a big arm, nice touch and comp around 60% on a team where he was running for his life. I would be OK with Hogan here, but Brissett has a stronger arm and more upside.

Round 5 – 170th overall – DE Hassen Ridgeway. In a deep draft for Dlineman, a guy like Ridgeway will find his way to the back half of the draft. But he could be a steal.

Round 6 – 205th overall – What if you could draft a CB in the 6th round who shut down John Brown in college? Michael Jordon (yep, I know) is that guy. A small school guy that Keim likes to take.

I also wouldn’t mind trading down, picking up another 4 and drafting Jaylon Smith in round 2. Smith will be out this year, but might be the best in this draft. I would love to see him take over in 2017 over Minter.

With the extra 4, I would love to get LB Eric Striker. Reminds me of Tyrann Matheu in the way he doesn’t have a true position in the nfl but put him on the field and watch him make plays.
    So an alternate mock might be

2nd round Jaylon Smith LB
    3rd round – Max Tuerk -C
    4th round – Eric Striker LB
    4thround – Jordon Payton WR
    5th round – Jacoby Brissett QB
    5th round – Hassen Ridgeway DE
    6th round – Michael jordon CB

2. By D on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

My 30 day out draft guesses..

I believe Mr. Keim will trade back to gather another pick that he gave up for Chandler. If he can trade back 6-9 picks, then I could see he and BA draft N. Martin C from ND.

If no trading down is available, then I would be okay with the following
    if they are on the board:

#29 – R. Kelly- best Center prospect coming out of the draft from ALA.
    #92 – M. Canady CB -tall/athletic, Cards need depth, guessing they still will add a Veteran CB to the group.
    #128 – J. Ward DE.
    # 167 C. Jones QB.
    # 170 B. Shell OT
    # 205 K. Frazier FS

3. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

Darren- To your knowledge has Powers, Freeney or T Jefferson had any in person interviews from any others teams…???
    Thanks!

4. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Visits

Not that I know of.

5. By Grandpa Black on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

Draft Jaylon Smith at pick # 29. What other draft pick are you going to expect to start? Exactly. Smith is going to be a good one.

We sat Humpries for a year we can do that again.

6. By shane on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

if the cards can get cardale jones in the 3rd it would be a steel imo .. he has all the tools to be very good & fits BAs system .. also seeing how he played his best in big time games against the best teams its always good to see that in a player

7. By Steve on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

JTDG- I don’t think Alexander will be there at #29, I’m hearing the Steelers like him a lot. Eli Apple of Ohio State could be available though but I’m hoping also that Keim will trade down (and maybe out of the 1st rd) and pick up an extra draft pick or two (maybe Kyle Fuller in the 2nd). Like the 3rd pick, Tuerk.

8. By Joe C. on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

I wonder if the FO has tried to throw Tony Jefferson a bone? I’m no expert but I like him. maybe they could be telling him the $1.6M is the floor of a contract? Just let him know he’s wanted as long as some team isn’t throwing crazy money at him. After letting Rashad go it wouldn’t hurt to have him locked up for a couple years. Unless he’s not that good and I don’t see it.

9. By Marlin on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

SK is definitely gonna trade down out of that first round pick.

10. By rid on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

Cardale Jones?

I can see him having to deal with weight his whole career. Plus he had that huge press conference just to say he was staying in collage another year….no thanks showboat.

11. By Scott on Mar 29, 2016 | Reply

Cardinals should trade round 1 pick for Baltimore round 2 and 3 round and swap round 4 picks. Baltimore has 2 additional picks in round 4.

12. By Dominik on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

First (29th overall)
    CB Apple, Eli 6’1″ 199 Ohio St. / CB Alexander, Mackensie 5’10” 190 Clemson
    Trade down if they ‘re not avaiable and take C Kelly, Ryan 6’4″ 311 Alabama in the second round and another CB. For exemple:
    CB Jackson III, William 6’0″ 189 Houston / CB Zamort, Ronald 5’10” 174 Western Michigan

— Third (92nd)
    S Mills, Jalen 6’0″ 191 LSU

— Fourth (128th)
    Alexander, Dominique ILB 6’0″ 232 Oklahoma

— Fifth (167th)
    QB Jones, Cardale 6’5″ 253 Ohio St. / QB Prescott, Dak 6’2″ 226 Mississippi St.

— Fifth (170th)
    OT Young, Avery 6’5″ 328 Auburn

— Sixth (205th)
    DT Heath, Joel 6’5″ 293 Michigan St.

13. By jeffcardinalfan on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

all these ideas r great, but inmho there r only 2 ways to go in this draft with first 2 picks
    -center….for first time in 40 years we have a chance to have a dominant ol
    -qb of the future…carson has 2 years left at best-if cards win sb this year him n larry n Calais will b retiring I wud think

rest of draft-best player available regardless of position

this is a qb-driven league which means u must protect him!!

14. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

Saw where Dansby signed on with the Bengals…looks like the third time will not be a charm for him and the Cardinals.

15. By Eric G on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

Cards don’t trade down if Noah Spence is there. i think they snap him up. if he’s gone, then I see a trade down with a top five team in the second round and pick up another third or fourth round pick. If they do that, then I see them drafting Ryan Kelly with the first pick, at least I hope so. He will solidify the line and make it a formidable one for years to come.

This will be an interesting draft for the Cardinals. The three positions i hope they don’t draft are TE, WR and RB. We have so much depth at those positions and need to fill lots of other shoes.

I hope they draft a punter in round 5 or 6 like Alex Kinal or Riley Dixon. I can’t take another year of Butler.

16. By Big Ken on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

I’m not big on Tuerk. Isn’t he coming back from a major injury? There are some good prospects at CB this year. Some better choices at center too.

17. By sbrown on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

only six picks, is ok to work with, don’t really have a lot of open roster spots that need filled.

remember all who say trade down SK has to have a team that wants to trade up to make that happen.
    say it is Cleveland, they move up from 32 to 29. and the Cards get a late 4th and a late 6th to make the value work.
    Cards could still get center R. Kelly at 32, instant starter and next to Mathis / Iupati who better to learn the pro game then from two pro bowl players.

rest of the draft , Cards will need a corner and a safety, O tackle and O guard ( remember team has lost two guards and two tackles in free agency )
    add a DT or a LB to help front 7 of the defense.

Cards will know if their three tender restricted players will be back as they must sign their tender by April 22. That is Jaron Brown, Swearinger and T. Jefferson.
    IMO, all three should be back on the Cards this season.

18. By John the Draft Guy on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

Lots of good comments.

Eli Apple, Alexander, Ryan Kelly would all be good pics.

I also heard cards are interested in QB Lynch. I would be excited to see him or Cook picked at 29.

Jaylon Smith is the second best player in the draft and will miss the whole year. Would love to make him our first pick.
    I would even like the Noah Spence pick.

All those picks would work and bring value. But Cardale Jones in any round would be a wasted pick. 7 college games? As many of you learned, you don’t get many reps as the number 3 QB. This is another Logan Thomas. Hate the idea of drafting him. It would be a terrible pick. Can’t believe the cards have interest. But I hated Logan Thomas and we drafted him, so….

19. By CreditCard on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

Trade down the 1st selection. Get a 2nd and possibly a high 4th and a 7th round pick.

The 7th round pick the Cards should take the best, most athletic, accurate long snapper in the draft. The long snapper has a lot to do with the timing of field goals, extra points, and the entire punt team. A botched snap can ruin a tight game. Leach is retired, and the backup is now playing for Seattle. Big hole.

I see this draft very much like the 2013 draft. That is, few “true” 1st rounders with many “true” mid round selections. I also see this draft being very strong in the DII level. Cards have done a wonderful job in finding players from DII and small schools.

I really like Judon from Grand Valley State, as does the Lions and a few other teams. He will be taken in the 3rd or 4th round. He lead the nation in sacks, while being double and triple teamed — impressive. Yes, the competition he faced is not on the same level as the ACC or SEC, but still, lead the nation and was constantly double teamed.

Lastly, isn’t it amazing when the Cards make their selections — the new players become god-send to the fan base — answer to our prayers etc. Then, give it a few years, the same players are revealed as bums by us fans.

20. By Kevin S Mesa on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

I don’t understand the love for Cardale Jones. This is the NFL, folks. and you’re talking about taking a guy who wasn’t even the #1 QB on his college team? Unless you think Barrett is Joe Montana or Brett Favre keeping Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers on the bench in the form of Jones, the idea that a guy who couldn’t win the starting job for his college team is likely to be a legit NFL QB is pretty small.

21. By shane on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

all these comments dissing cardale jones are funny .. ofcouse nobody knows what exactly is going to happen with these players in the nfl .. but ill tell you this cardale Jones showed me a heck of alot more in 7 games as a starter .. than lynch did his whole career . Trust me it would be a mistake to take lynch at 29 he crumbles against the best competition & big games .. while jones rised up to it . Hes defiantly a 2 year bench guy but with time he has a chance to be good .. also Logan thomas is a horrible example watch tape on logan at VT & watch cardle before you compare. Also logan was a 4 year starter & never improved compered to 7 games with Jones.

22. By Big Ken on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

Well if Paxton is there at the 29th, I believe the Cowboys would make a trade with us especially if Cleveland doesn’t go QB in the first. Let the bidding begin.

23. By georgiebird on Mar 30, 2016 | Reply

It might sound good to trade our #1 for a 2 and a 3. Only problem is the 29th player in the draft should be a better player than the 40th and 70th guys. Cards are so close now that that one player can be the difference.
    That is- unless SK feels more comfortable with a 2 and 3 instead of a #1. SK’s track record just might point that way.

24. By Dr. G. on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

Cardale Jones? More suited to the old 70s Oklahoma option run game…wouldn’t even be a chubby #3 RB! Kidding, of course.

#29 – Give Paxton to Dallas! No way. Take him…been pounding this drum for weeks now.

Sbrown…agreed, 6 picks is enough with our limited cash & needs now. Last year, we horse traded for 10 picks and ended up giving 3 back to the Browns unused.

I’m not big on mocks, ‘cuz it makes me wish too much, and most of them end up wrong. But I enjoy the work of those who detail their picks like jtdg. My thing is to look to certain players; If we get a 2 or 3 winners, I consider it a success…later Fans

25. By Big Ken on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Agree on Paxton, draft him. How does the team see him, evaluate?

26. By hminus on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

The difference in talent from #29 to #32-40 is negligible,if we picked up an extra 3,we could get a difference maker w/that xtra pick,(SK tends to draft well in the #rd,)so,if the player we want isnt there @ #29…then TRADE BACK Mr.Keim!…

27. By Leesters on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

I’m hoping we trade back to the top of the 2nd round so we get C – Ryan Kelly. The draft is soooo deep in areas which we need some depth, and … personally as a long time Cardinal fan…. we have NEVER had a top notch center.
    Secondly, the 3rd round pick is just pick best-guy-left-over that fits need, and there will be a lot to choose from.
    Then, give up the 6ths and 7th for another 4th, and draft your favorite of the myriad of CB’s on the board.
    And please don’t waste a pick on another QB project that won’t be on the roster in 2 years…… Its getting very very very old.

28. By Cody on Apr 22, 2016 | Reply

Trade down. our first rounder plus our 4th for tennesse 2 second rounders?