Campbell gets an agent, and the cap

Posted by Darren Urban on March 31, 2016 – 10:41 am

Recently, defensive tackle Calais Campbell noted he was searching for a new agent. Campbell has one now, according to the NFLPA, choosing power broker Tom Condon. Campbell, of course, has a salary cap number of $15.25 million this season and a salary of $9.5M in the final year of his deal, so he is a candidate to be extended if the Cards wanted to lower that number. Campbell recently said he wasn’t sure if the Cardinals were going to engage in contract talks, but that they had asked who is agent was going to be.

Interestingly, Condon is also the agent for safety Tyrann Mathieu, who figures to be in contract extension talks himself as he also heads into the final year of his contract. Mathieu, on his rookie deal, would have his cap rise with a new deal, however. Mathieu’s cap number is only $1.74M for 2016.

Right now, the Cardinals only have $3.62 million in salary cap space, according to the NFLPA. Some type of move seems inevitable for the Cards to get through the rest of the offseason. They still need to eventually sign draft picks, not to mention the possibility of adding a veteran at a later date.

Tags: , ,

38 Responses to “Campbell gets an agent, and the cap”

1. By D on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

D

Switch to donut munchkins..half the guilt

2. By Marlin on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

Cory Redding retiring would clear up $3M of cap space……..I think…..

3. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

Campbell;

I think this is a very difficult decision by Keim.

On one hand, Campbell has been a solid player for us and you would like to keep him for years to come. So extend him and lower the cap number.

On the other hand, letting him finish out his contract and test the market might give you a more realistic number to resign in 2017. Sure there is risk, but I think most would agree that Campbell at 30 years old is not a 15 mil kind of player.

This is a deep draft in d line man and with Gunter, you have one very solid piece on the line. Adding a couple more players (mixed in with the vets already there), could make Campbell expendable.

But to continue the argument with myself, The cards are on the verge of a super bowl and you don’t want to let proven players go for unproven ones. Keeping Campbell for this run is very important.

Ideally, a two year deal would work for the cards (16-17) and lower that cap number. But why would Campbell do that?

This is a little like Floyd. What number are you willing to pay for him?

Drafting depth this year on the D Line and WR spots secures the team in case those numbers are not consistent with what Keim sees as money he is willing to spend.

I see many wanting to trade down. I think if Eli Apple and Mackenzie Alexander are not there, trading down is a good idea. Getting extra picks to give some depth (and protection) is smart.

As I have said, Floyd isn’t a 10-15 million dollar guy. That may be what he wants. Can we afford that while trying to sign Tyrann and Chandler Jones? If Fitz wants to keep playing, we will need to resign him. It is time to land an outside WR who can go get the ball.
    Kolby Listenbee is that guy. He could be that extra 3-4 we get by trading down.

As for D Line. a guy like Vernon Butler in round 2, a Chris Jones in round 3 or Hassen Ridgeway in round 4. These guys give us depth and could come in as starters next year.

I think, if you truly knew what Keim thought about the futures of Campbell and Floyd, and what resigning them would cost, you would have a better idea of what they will do in the draft.

4. By DTL on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

On radio this am with Wolfly heard of new, interesting ranking on CBs, with Tyran #1 in league PP was #2.

Also Jay Feeley talked about C from Temple that is stout, and Cards interest in Paxton Lynch.

Any comments?

5. By joe holst on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

Won’t will create 4 million if they release Daryl Washington in June?

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

Joe Holst —

RE: DWash

I do not know that for sure.

7. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

DTL,

Heard all those same things.

Who watches Temple? Well, isn’t BA from Temple?
    Not rated highly but Kyle Friend at center had Feely’s support.

Lynch is getting more and more hype. Dropping to 29? Man, I just can’t see a team like Dallas or Denver or Rams not jumping us to go get him. Heck, I could see the Rams take him at 15.

I love the Honey Badger. One of my favorites. But better than PP? Whoever did the rankings got that wrong

8. By Dr. G. on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

I think Campbell will get a deal done to guarantee more years, $$$$ and lower his cap some, unless he doesn’t. ((That’s Darren’s style!)) If he doesn’t, it will indicate that he wants to test the market in 2017. That is a dice roll for him.

Off subject for what FWIW….a bit baffling to read of Gresham’s loyalty move, but stunningly admirable. Also, every time I read a critique on TE numbers, it will have little meaning until BA makes them a consistent legit part of the offense. Those guys are stymied.

Too, it would be nice to know what Fitz is thinking. Right now, retirement looks reasonable after this year…cap?

JTDG…Floyd is our best WR when healthy…he’s good to go for some time. Keim needs to work a deal now ‘cuz he will not put the huge tag on him in 2017.

DTL…I like the Paxton rumor as I have been posting. He could be there at #29.

9. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Campbell contract

“If he doesn’t, it will indicate that he wants to test the market in 2017”

Or it could indicate the Cardinals may be ready to move on from him at that point.

10. By Cardy on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

If Cards can get more cap room they should bring back Freeny to for a third down rush of Jones & Freeny on the outside.

Also try to sign Leon Hall cheap after the draft.

Is Jefferson’s tender included in the current salary cap total?

11. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

Cardy —

RE: Jefferson tender

All tender offers are included on the cap.

12. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

Darren- Any idea of what position they are looking for a veteran player at?
    Thanks!

13. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Vet player

I’m not sure they are looking for anyone in particular right now.

14. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

I heard this guy mentioned on the radio . Seems the Cardinals are interested in him. Why wouldn’t they? He is 6’4″ and 225 and runs a 4.39 40 yard dash.

Huge sleeper. read for yourself.

15. By Scott H on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

For what it is worth, I do not believe Floyd has claimed the title of best WR on this team. Floyd has had games where he is a force who cannot be stopped. But then he seems disappear for awhile. I think Floyd has the physical stature and capability to the best WR on this team – and one of THE best in the NFL – but I gotta say – I don’t think he has taken the title from Fitz yet. Fitz is just too skilled all around and his game is more complete.

If nothing else, Floyd has just not been consistent enough over a full season to claim the title.

16. By Grandpa Black on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

Campbell will get an extension. The only reason he hasn’t done it yet is because his former agent was a cheat. For C.C. To remain in good graces he will do everything it takes to stay on the field. I know I’m speaking on obvious terms but it does give the Cards some flexibility if some money needs to appear.

D. Washington….thanks for nothing. I’m over him already but what I’m tired of is the silent secret b.s. of his suspension. Now it’s costing the team cap problems when we are trying to put winners on the field; not pay screw ups that suck at life.

17. By shannon robinson on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

I like the fact that our scouts look everywhere for talent, including the mall chools and now Germany – Auchtung. We have an Aussie Rules Rugby player on our team trying to be a cornerback. We had a couple of rugby players come through our roster which makes me happy because I coach UNM women’s rugby, a Division I Elite rugby team. I’ve always had Polyneians play for me and I’m delighted to see all the Ilanders who’ve come to play Cardinal football. We have not just diverity but it’ a group of special players that BA turn into a special team. In rugby you have to actively recruit and go after black players because they’re not going to play a new sport like rugby without some coaxing. It’s why I admire BA’s love of the black athlete. If you listen to Mr. Keim and BA they’ll tell you what kind of football player they like. “Heart and Mind” are most important. That’s why Calais will be a Cardinal a long time, he has heart. It’s like watching Roy Green go over the middle in Sun Devil Stadium for a touchdown at 34 years old – he had guile and heart and was always open. Yes I think we’ll trade down because we will draft a center and the good ones go in the second round (“don’t reachI”). I like Kelly, Wolfley says Martin’s tough as nails. I think we’re resolute on getting the “speed and length” cornerback early because they’re looking for the mirror corner to PP. They’re still hoping it’s Bethel (“If Bethel can do it we’ll be alright”). They tell you what they’re going to do. They like “football players” so we’ll be selecting guys like Matakevich, speaking of Temple. Just look at the Roster by position and you can tell who they’ll be drafting, and it will still be BPA. All I know is Christmas is coming in April!

18. By Jerry on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

I see Cambells numbers improving this year with the signing of Jones. Wouldn’t his value go up with if not extened?

19. By dan on Mar 31, 2016 | Reply

I’ve been ready to throw a Calais Campbell party when he leaves the Cardinals……….Keim and Arians aren’t stupid………..Campbell isn’t worth half his paycheck…….thanks for the hard work Campbell but you’re just not good enough.

20. By NJ Glenn on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

I thought I had read that DWash salary does not count against cap when suspended. If he returns he goes back to the contract he had at the time of suspension (not that it will ever happen).

21. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

NJ Glenn —

RE: DWash

You are correct.

22. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Alright,

I have banged the table for 3 players. Eli Apple, Mackenzie Alexander, and Ryan Kelly. I have said, if Apple and Alexander are not there, trade back into the top of the second round (if someone is willing to move up) and take Kelly.

But who saw Notre Dame’s pro day? I mean, I have seen this guy, Jaylon Smith play, and declared him the second best player in the draft. (the best is the Patrick Peterson clone in Jalen Ramsey)

But seeing him (Smith) being measured and doing the bench press, this guy is a beast. His game film is amazing and he looks bigger and stronger now.

So, if he falls to 29 because of the injury, how could you pass him up? Yes, he will sit out the year most likely (or at least most of it). But how often do you get a chance to take one of the top players at the bottom of round 1.
    I just love this guy. He will be an inside LB who can do it all. He will be like getting a top 5 pick next year.

So, here is what I would do if I were Keim. Since Apple and Alexander will be gone at 29.

1st round – #29 – I would take Jaylon Smith.

I mean, if you had a shot to draft Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacker but the only catch was he will sit out a year, would you? Or would you trade the 29th pick for the 2nd overall pick next year?

Taking Jaylon Smith is equal to those examples. I think I have settled on who I am looking for the cards to draft. Jaylon Smith

23. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Jaylon

You assume he comes back as he was.

24. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Ok to piggy back off the Jaylon Smith pick,

There is a CB who, depending on his off the field issues, wold be a nice pick in the second.

Wait, we don’t have a second? I would look at a team like the rams, who has two 2nds and look to move 2017 first round pick. Heck, with Smith, you have next years number one pick, you landed Chandler Jones in a trade, moving 2017 #1 for a two in 2016 is not as risky as it might sound.

So, with the 43rd pick, why not pair PP with another CB from LSU. (again, off field issues need to be addressed) but Rashard Robinson would be a perfect compliment to PP. Long CB who is terrific on the field. But with issues, didn’t play all the time. Would big brothers PP and TM be able to get him straight? Wow if they could.

OK, I am liking this draft
    1- Jaylon Smith LB
    2 – Rashard Robinson CB

25. By Dr. G. on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Darren — OK…unless the Cards want to move on from Floyd at age 26! I base my opinion upon the comparative stats. You know the numbers, so are you willing to provide your take on Floyd as value to our team? I respect your info.

Scott…stats, man, stats. For reasons unexplained, we frequently see the Fitz fans react to praise of Floyd as if he has questionable value. Look at these links, please, and tell me how these men compare. Floyd rarely misses a game, and with half the opportunities, his stats are % wise better in most categories ((except for tv endorsements!))

Fitz wins the popularity contest, but when you indicate that Floyd disappears sometimes, it’s because he doesn’t get the ball…only 1/2 the passes. I am a Fitz fan too, for many reasons, but those who do not see Floyd as a tremendous asset are mistaken. If Fitz is gone next year, we will still experience a very good WR crew with all the speed and power on our TEAM CARDS!

Floyd may not be gregarious, but the entire league will look to his services if he is available…not gonna happen…just can’t see Keim thinking otherwise esp if Fitz does not play…save for some blockbuster deal….

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Floyd

I think Floyd, right now, makes sense as a long-term piece. But I don’t know yet what he is going to be expecting for a contract. And if he and the Cardinals are way off, this could get sticky.

27. By Dr. G. on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Darren…OK, I rest my case for Floyd. I’m guessing Larry has other pursuits that he is itching to get to. His brand is decent at this point…maybe media or travel logs like Anthony Bourdain..! …leaving big cap space, huh? Thanks

jtdg…as for Jaylon Smith, I am still mystified how well these knee surgeries turn out these days with good rehab…says he squatted 400; .we shall see the 40 time, vertical before too long? He seems calm, optimistic, and well spoken ((smarts)).

Todd Gurley made them eat crow… Otherwise, it took Tyrann until year 2 to hit high gear, reasonable with massive damage. Let’s hope he is good to go full out this year. The good examples keep coming…

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Fitz cap

Actually, because of the contracts he’s had, Fitz already counts as almost $10 million of cap room for 2017, no matter what he decides to do. If he came back, his cap number would be added to that.

29. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

assumption about Jaylon;

Did you see that guy at the pro day ? Walking around with no limp at all. He put up 225 twenty four times. Then there is this;

The Fighting Irish’s star linebacker, who suffered a severe knee injury three months ago in the Fiesta Bowl, told NFL Media’s Mike Mayock he is already leg pressing more than 600 pounds and squatting more than 400 in the weight room as his recovery continues. “It’s just a matter of time. I’ll be fine,” Smith said.

Doubting Jaylon is like doubting Honey Badger. These guys have such a drive. Jaylon might be back this year. That would be nice to be able to place him on the DL designated to return and get him in December.

30. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Doubting

You may be 100 percent right. But it’s funny you mentioned Mathieu. Tyrann said all the same things in 2014, and then never quite came around that season. I know you are already saying you’d take this guy even if 2016 was a redshirt. But working hard to get back is not the same thing as being back. That’s all I am saying.

31. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Dr.G. –

Not sure where your reaction is coming from….but you say that Floyd rarely misses a game. OK….and when has Fitz – who has played MUCH longer than Floyd at this point – EVER missed any significant time???? I think the number of games he has missed in his career to this point can be counted on one hand. There is little case to be made for Floyd over Fitz on the issue of durability or dependability. These things have defined Fitz as much as anything has!

To be clear, my opinions of Fitz across the board have NOTHING to do with his popularity. Nor do I believe popularity has anything to do with any comparison of Fitz to Floyd.

Fitz was, I believe, the fastest player to reach 500 catches for his career. 500 catches later, he was the fastest player to reach 1000 catches for his career. Fitz reached the 500 catch plateau while playing with Anquan Boldin – who, BTW, was the fastest player to reach 400 catches for his career. The point being, playing with another top-notch WR never resulted in HIM disappearing for a game or a stretch of games. OR, having his passes reduced.

You say Floyd not getting the ball explains why he disappears sometimes. Well….how does that happen? In saying that, are you trying to prove your point or MINE? If Floyd is as talented as you say, how does he only get half the passes?? That just does not make sense to me.

I think you would be hard pressed to show that – statistically – Floyd is as good or better than Fitz if he gets the same number of passes. With Fitz being spoken of as a future HOF’er while still playing – and playing at a high level – I don’t get where that claim comes from.

Let’s also remember the cast of pretty bad QB’s that Fitz has played with for MOST of his career while he was compiling the stats he has. Maybe we can never know if Floyd would have fared as well as Fitz did during those years if HE had to play with those same QB’s….but that is no given, that is for sure.

So, here is a simple question – why does it happen with Floyd that he only gets half the passes, but it hasn’t happened with Fitz? Fitz has remanied remarkably consistent whether he was playing with other talented WR’s ( Fitz had one of his best years in 2008 when Boldin AND Breaston had 1000 yard seasons the same year ) or whether he had NO ONE on the other side. Either way, his passes never dropped off to half what others were getting. That says something. That says a LOT.

All that said, look, I love Michael Floyd. I really do. I WANT him to stay a Cardinal and I would LOVE to see him emerge as the dominant force he is clearly capable of being – with more consistency than he has to this point. But it is in that ONE word – consistency – that I believe, IMHO, that Fitz still operates on a different level.

BTW, I also think Fitz has / has always had better hands. And not just better hands than Floyd – I mean better hands than ANYONE who has played during the same time he has.

C’mon, man…are you REALLY gonna bring TV endorsements into this???? As a Cardinals fan, are you REALLY gonna go there??? If we’re gonna do that, wouldn’t we also say that Andy Dalton is just as good a QB as Peyton Manning but no one knows it because he doesn’t get the endorsements that Manning did?

Look, I love ya, brother and I don’t mean to come off as defensive ( sorry if I did ). I just do not believe that Fitz has surrendered the title to Floyd yet. Hope he does someday, and someday soon! I just don’t think he’s there yet.

32. By Big Ken on Apr 2, 2016 | Reply

Jaylon Smith? Yeah if he’s there in the sixth round. Too much risk with injured players, but worthy of a late round flyer.

33. By Leesters on Apr 3, 2016 | Reply

I think they are expecting some young guys to kill some of last years FA salaries by taking their roster spots. Now, it will be interesting to see what happens if that doesn’t happen.

And where is our center?? AJ Shipley? I want them to draft that center from Alabama. Dude is a beast. Hope they don’t get too cute trying to trade down for him, then miss him. lol. Just take him round 1. You can afford to play safe this year.

34. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 4, 2016 | Reply

Jaylon Smith – Working to be back is not the same as being back.

I agree, but lets face it, if he were back, he’d be going to the chargers or cowboys. At 29, you have zero chance at a player like him.

To get a chance at a top 5 talent (and character) at 29? The only catch is to wait for him to recover? Seems pretty easy to me.

I see DJ and Charles on Path to draft saying he is the best player but might fall to round 3. Maybe, maybe not. But we dont have a two.

Looking at the last 3 drafts, looks like we sat two of them and took a chance by changing the others position, Seems we are not using our first round as players for this year any way.

35. By Dr. G. on Apr 4, 2016 | Reply

Scott….Re: tv endorsements, Fitz v Floyd!! Your humor detector needs some work…much of what happens here is not literal. Maybe the joke was unclear…sorry.

Back to “stats” – If we cannot believe stats, fandom becomes emotion driven…which is fine. My sister likes the color of the uniforms and her pink Cardinal shirt; and has just as much fun as jtdg..! And, you have your valid reasons. ((Umm, I wonder what the agents look at during negotiations?))

When we cannot use “facts” for performance valuation, any discussion becomes moot. I’m guessing you have not had a moment to look at the links I posted yet…Fitz v Floyd…be well

P.S. I appreciate the banter.

36. By Scott H on Apr 4, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G. –

Do tell – what stats are you referring to that I am missing? You directed me toward some links in one of your previous posts here, then never attached any. If you want me to see them….help me out here!

I’ve presented plenty of statistical facts related to Fitz in several previous posts of my own. I’m guessing you may have missed these as well?

Stats aside, isn’t being emotion driven a part of being a fan?? Stating the obvious, aren’t we?? And I am very true to being a fan in this respect. And I feel no shame about that.

Yes, I enjoy the banter as well, and I enjoy our exchanges. I have no problem with the facts. But I don’t want to miss what you think I am missing here. There are obviously certain facts / stats you want me to see, so….kindly provide the links or tell me where to look.

And, yeah, my humor detector may need some work. Then again, sometimes the humor may need work, too! 🙂

37. By Dr. G. on Apr 5, 2016 | Reply

Scott – – Oh, I get it now. If you can’t open “”the NFL career stats”” links I posted under this title for Fitz & Floyd, it’s impossible for a fair comparison for you. Perhaps you can pull them up here or NFL.com. Only the previous couple years can be relevant…the ole “”what have you done for us lately concept?”” The Fitz CAREER is not disputable.

I almost forgot what the discussion was about..so much exchange…I was pointing to the value Floyd (age 26) has going forward…if the team can work a mutual deal, and provide opportunity, he can be the best…the stats show it…be well

38. By Scott H on Apr 6, 2016 | Reply

Dr.G. –

He CAN be the best. On that, we agree. But let’s not forget where this started, my friend. Your exact quote – Floyd is our best WR when healthy. I respectfully disagreed. That is what the discussion was about! One thing about stats…there is a veritable ocean of them for NFL players. And from that ocean of stats, one can fish out numbers that will support just about any position you want to take. There are probably many young WR’s in the NFL right now, that if you took their numbers and projected what they would be if they got as many passes as Fitz does / has, you could say they are better players than Fitz, too. Does that mean they really are? Please. IMHO, the numbers that actually exist speak louder then numbers that are projected in terms of “what would be if…”

I owe you an apology. Because you did post those links and how I didn’t see them…I can’t even tell you. My bad. Honestly, I feel pretty foolish about that.

Ultimately, how any two players compare to each other can only be truly examined after their careers are over and everything they did is in the books. And then, the debates will still go on forever! Start a discussion among any 10 football fans as to who was a better QB, Marino or Elway, and that debate will go on for hours. And everyone will have the numbers that “prove” their point of view. It’s what sports fans do.

Again, my bad for not seeing the links you DID post. And I’ll end on that note. You be well, yourself.