Why you’d look back at Tidwell’s time

Posted by Darren Urban on April 1, 2016 – 3:32 pm

The idea has been floating around in my head for a couple of years now. Not sure exactly where it started, but there was the jersey (thanks Orlando), and there was the renovation and the lockers being removed, and above all else there was the knowledge that a movie was filmed here (even if it was before my time.) Plus, here in one of those dead offseason periods, the timing worked well.

So we explored what “happened” to Rod Tidwell, 20 years after the release of “Jerry Maguire.” (You can also see it by going to azcardinals.com/rodtidwell).

It was fun to put together — obviously a lot different than everything else I write. The final draft looks little like the original, but that’s good. I had some good sounding boards that helped me take out/change parts that would’ve bogged it down (Sorry Bob Sugar — you were cut, as was Cardinals GM Dennis Wilburn.) The story is sad, really. What might have been, Plummer-to-Tidwell?

TidwellBlog

Tags:

18 Responses to “Why you’d look back at Tidwell’s time”

1. By Steve on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Darren: Hollywood sure loves successful box office movies and “Jerry Maguire” was one of those, why was there never a sequel?

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Sequel

Not sure there was a sequel to be had out of that story.

3. By D on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

I remember one of those nights they filmed the movie at Sun Devil. They needed extras for the fan shots in the stadium. My goal that night was to do Happy Hour at the Owls Nest (not sure the bar exists now) and then walk down to the stadium. Well, I didn’t make it out of the bar until it was way too late…

RIP Glenn Frey, aka Dennis Wilburn

4. By Dr. G. on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

1996, I think we were 7-9…having notoriety in a big film was surprising in that the Cards had not a winning season after moving to Arizona in 1988. But…it was pro football after all. We went to all the Dallas home games there, why one of my favorite teams is whoever is playing them…

5. By Grandpa Black on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Not only remember the film Jerry Maguire but the Monday Night game vs the Cowboys some of the movie had in it. Remembering Larry Centers jumping over a would be tackler was awesome. Too bad we really didn’t win tho.

6. By Jeff A on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

Great story about Rod. Always wondered what happened to him. Sad in a way, but I know he’s happy with his family. I like the mention of David Boston, but I would have stretched that into an irony that Boston then came to Arizona after devastating ASU fans (and hence, Rod). And a prod to Rob Moore somehow would have been cool.

RE: Sequel: Not having anymore story to develop has never stopped Hollywood before!

Dr G.: They usually use a team that is down at the time when using them in movies, at least that was the trend back then if you look at the Cleveland Indians in Major League and the Milwaukee Brewers in Mr 3000.

7. By MostlyRight on Apr 1, 2016 | Reply

My wife and I were grad students at ASU back then and were walking Mill, and were asked to help fill the stands for filming. We held cardboard cutout fans next to us and shook them and yelled like crazed fans whenever a shot was filmed. Everything was shot towards one corner and end zone to make the seat look full. We can see ourselves in a few shots. Tom Cruise came up and slapped us five and chatted a bit between shots. At one point they played “Old Time Rock n Roll” over the sound system and Cruise played along and did the Risky Business dance to rally the fans. A fun night.

8. By texascard on Apr 2, 2016 | Reply

I certainly hope a player on this team can have a rod Tidwell moment this year in the playoffs

9. By Joe C. on Apr 2, 2016 | Reply

The whole Tidwell saga was the Phoenix Cardinal experience in a microcosm. From Gene Stallings to Neil Lomax. So much promise that didn’t materialize.

10. By Big Ken on Apr 2, 2016 | Reply

Mercy these are the dog days of football.

11. By Martin on Apr 2, 2016 | Reply

Hey Darren will you be making a mock draft this year?

12. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2016 | Reply

Martin —

RE: Mock

I’ve moved past that. There are oodles and oodles of those out there anyway.

13. By clssylssy on Apr 3, 2016 | Reply

Good story Darren … This time of year about the only thing going on is watching reruns of Jerry McGuire and The Replacements; nostalgia is always good for business! Watching the Cards at old Sun Devil Stadium seems surreal and almost a different lifetime ago. How spoiled and pampered we’ve gotten as fans in our climate controlled U of P Stadium with it’s nice bathrooms and Jumbotron…still, don’t miss battling heatstroke to survive the end of the game anymore than subzero temperatures at Arrowhead..Thank you Mr B !.

14. By Richard L on Apr 3, 2016 | Reply

You should put a word limit on the blog comments. Some of them are just so long and boring

15. By *** on Apr 3, 2016 | Reply

Richard L

Apparently, short comments can be boring too.

16. By Scott H on Apr 4, 2016 | Reply

Richard L

If you have more important things to do, go do them and leave us to indulge in our comments that you find so boring.

It’s never boring being around fellow Cardinal fans.

17. By andystandsup on Apr 4, 2016 | Reply

I love when you write outside your box, Darren.

Nice storytelling.

2. Apr 5, 2016: Today’s Best Arizona Cardinals Ariticles April 5, 2016 | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog