Fitzgerald talks Cardinals offseason, Mathieu

Posted by Darren Urban on April 5, 2016 – 1:35 pm

Larry Fitzgerald, in the offseason from football, took to the baseball field and throw the first pitch at the Diamondbacks game Monday night. He also took a moment to discuss a few football-related things when it comes to the Cardinals (and Tyrann Mathieu). Fitz’s offerings:

— On the ACL recovery of safety Tyrann Mathieu: “Ty’s running already. They’re having to hold him back. He heals like Wolverine. He’s so passionate and we love him dearly. We’re so happy to see he’s going to be ready to go for us in training camp. He can pick up right where he left off. He was defensive MVP – had he finished the season, he would have been right there in the conversation.”

— On where the Cardinals rank on paper going into 2016: “Coach (Bruce) Arians always says you can’t rank anybody on paper. We’ve got to see what we are when we get to training camp and continue to build. We have a long way to go.”

— On his hindsight impressions about the NFC Championship loss: “It sucks that we played the way we did at that time. It wasn’t a good game by any stretch of the imagination across the board. To work that hard to get to that position and not play up to your capabilities, it’s tough to digest. We know that we have pretty much the same nucleus of men coming back and the same coaching staff, and we’re really happy about that, and we’ve made some new acquisitions as well. We’re happy with where we are. We believe we have a good football team.

“I try to put it behind me. You’ve got to put games like that behind you because if you dwell on it it will drive you crazy.”

FDWaveBLOG

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to “Fitzgerald talks Cardinals offseason, Mathieu”

1. By Dr. G. on Apr 5, 2016 | Reply

Accidentally watched our last game ((NFC final )) a couple days ago…ugh… BA is right on here. Only 1 player showed up to play, not Palmer, not Fitz, not PP, not, not, not… David Johnson was the sole inspiration…hanging in there despite the serious team anemia. David deserves the tenacity medal…the media agreed.

And, as BA points out here, he needs to resolve to find a solution to players approaching “”the big games.””

FWIW…CNewton set examples of bad manners in both NFC & Super Bowl…vs David Johnson…a classy performance in defeat.

2. By CreditCard on Apr 5, 2016 | Reply

If I were to rank why a team gets to and/or wins the super bowl it would be combinations of:

1. Great QB play
    2. Sound defense
    3. Minimal to no horrible injuries
    4. Over-all depth
    5. Good to great coaching
    6. Not shooting yourself in the foot (turnovers)
    7. Lady luck

3. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 5, 2016 | Reply

Dansby will not be returning to the Cards as he signed with Bengals….

4. By raisinmxzone on Apr 6, 2016 | Reply

I hate that everyone thinks Larry Fitzgerald could be out by next offseason. Look at what he has done, and he still has plenty in the tank. If he doesn’t retire, I’m hoping the Cardinals extend him. Why not?

5. By Dr. G. on Apr 6, 2016 | Reply

Raisinmx…just some questions for you on Fitz…if he were to return for 2017.

How much do you pay for the “franchise face?” Jerseys?
    How much do you pay for locker room//on field enthusiasm?
    Is his leadership stunting other leadership development?
    How much is his football production worth?
    If you sign him, is it multiple years? What would he think he is worth??
    Does he really want to play? Does he have other things in his future?
    Are there others who can provide similar effectiveness for lots less $$$?
    If the Cardinals win the Big One, is he gone? If not?
    Most of this is rhetorical, but what is your dollar figure? $________

PS…Why did Megatron retire? Relevance…his body still works and there is nada to prove. He was the best. The defense rests…

6. By Scott H on Apr 6, 2016 | Reply

How much was Fitz’ football production worth in 2015?? Seemed pretty valuable to me….

7. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 7, 2016 | Reply

I’d sign Fitz for as many years as he wants to play with the team.

I thought he might want out last year because of his role (before the season). But when I heard Mike Bidwill stepped in, and then watched his production, he is very valuable.

But to the point, how long can he play, where he wants to and after done playing is physically in good shape ? I think Fitz leaves before the cards say we don’t want you.

If that is 2017 or 2020, I don’t know.

8. By Darren Urban on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Fitz

This isn’t just a question of play or not play.

It’s also a question of how much $.

9. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

Fitz;

Oh I agree, but as long as Fitz is willing to have contracts similar to what he has now, money would not be an issue if I was in charge.

To take that another step, I would sign Fitz over Floyd. I just think you could draft another receiver and with Brown and Nelson and a 2nd year guy, along with fitz in 2017, I think you are OK.

How much of the decision will depend on Palmer being the QB in 2017? I would think Fitz will want to re-sign if Palmer is there. Maybe 75%.

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Chance

Palmer is important, and I think Palmer will stay in place, assuming health, in 2017. But again, what is Fitz’s cash? Counts almost $10M on the cap right now, and that’s if he isn’t on the roster.

11. By clssylssy on Apr 9, 2016 | Reply

Darren…
    By now, I don’t think most football fans wouldn’t agree that Fitz earns every cent of his pay, and then some! Without him the Cards wouldn’t have had the best game of the 2015 season (albeit in his “declining” years🙄) Has he made money…absolutely,but, he has reworked his contract several times so other players could get paid with the goal of producing a SB winning team–who else has done that? Yes, Carson is important to the team but Fitz has been our consistently our most dependent playmaker which has earned him the. Designation as “the face of the franchise”. Mr.B has repeatedly assured fans that Fitz would retire a Card; is he not a man of his word? I personally could see him moving on to new challenges AFTER winning a SB, he is an intelligent,educated man with many doors open to him beyond sports, but that will be a sad day for Arizona.
    It’s strange to me that you never eats hear Pats fans whining about Brady’s cap figure or Houston fans complaining about paying JJ Watt, and while we understand the realities of the cap, it gets a little embarrassing that you continue to dwell on how much Fitz is costing while the organization seems complacent on eating it with regard to D Washington. (You as seen as the voice of the organization)

12. By Darren Urban on Apr 9, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Embarrassing

1) You act like there isn’t a reason they have Washington still (and I remind that the Cards paid Washington a ton before he got himself suspended, so I’m not sure how you lay that at the Cardinals’ feet).

2) I try and be real with the fans and what the situation is with this team. If fans prefer cheerleading instead, I’m not the writer to read.

13. By Scott H on Apr 10, 2016 | Reply

As a general statement, I just hope that for as long as the Cardinals are a legit heavy-weight contender in the NFC, Fitz will WANT to be here to continue the quest. And for as long as Fitz remains physically well-capable of playing at a high level, I hope the organization will WANT to keep him here.

Both sides have stayed that course so far. But this is the NFL and we know that certain realities take over at some point. Aeneas Williams was as dedicated to being a Cardinal as anyone could be. But he eventually had to go elsewhere to win a SB at the end. That was sad. Granted, THIS Cardinals team is a much different story than the one Williams eventually departed from….so I hope we get a much different ending, for Fitz and for ourselves as fans.

Given Fitz’ age and where we are with Palmer ( even though NEITHER player shows signs of slowing down ), it feels like we have maybe two more seasons to make this happen. After that….the window may be closed.

For me, this is no longer about JUST winning a SB, even though I want to see that at some point in my lifetime. Heck, I just turned 50, so MY window is also closing with each passing year! What I REALLY want is for them to win a SB with Fitz here to be a part of it. I want to see HIM hoist that trophy in a Cards uniform.

It will just be sad to see it NOT happen during the career of – just maybe – the greatest Cardinal ever.