Cardinals-Packers called best game of 2015

Posted by Darren Urban on April 8, 2016 – 1:16 pm

NFL.com and the NFL Network compiled a ranking of the top 20 games of the 2015 season, and the Cardinals were part of the game picked as the best.

It probably shouldn’t be surprising that the Divisional playoff game between the Cards and Packers earned the top spot, although it took the Cards allowing an emotionally crushing Hail Mary to get there. It was played less than three months ago, so it’s not hard to remember the highlights, like Michael Floyd’s rebound TD catch, the Aaron Rodgers miracle and, of course, Larry being Larry. (I have to admit thought I had forgotten about Patrick Peterson’s 100-yard interception return that would have been legendary itself had it not been called back because of a hands-to-the-face penalty). A truly classic game with many twists and a heckuva ending.

The Cardinals actually appear on the top 20 list two other times. Their 24-22 home loss to the Rams, when Todd Gurley broke out for the first time, was No. 20. The Cards’ big win in Seattle, capped by Andre Ellington’s TD run, was picked as No. 12.

PackBlogWin

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Cardinals-Packers called best game of 2015”

1. By dan on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

I say we bring back Boldin for a couple more years…..FANS would LOVE THAT!!!

2. By jeffy1951 on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

That was one of the best games of ALL TIME IMO if for no other reason than the number of emotional peaks and valleys it provided.

3. By Dynosoar on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

We made the top 20 list Three Times!

I always dreamed of seasons like this as I watched other teams have them. The Cardinals have come into their own and it’s sweet.

4. By Scott H on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

Excellent choice! I had a feeling that game was gonna be number one. The game against Seattle definitely belongs on the list as well. But I am surprised and disappointed that the game against the Bengals is NOT. That game was just as good a match-up as the game against Seattle ( even better, really, since the Bengals had a better record than Seattle at the time ), it was just as hard fought, and just as dramatic at the end. It was definitely a better game than some of the other games that DID make the list.

Since they insisted on putting the Cards-Rams game on there, for Todd Gurley’s coming out party, the Cardinals should have made the list FOUR times. But at least they gave us the top spot.

5. By clssylssy on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

Five prime time appearances with five wins, two being flexed because of ratings…doesn’t get much better than that! seems like the entire country caught a little Redbird fever & we finally became the most fun team to watch in the NFL. Ready to do it all over only better!

6. By Cardinalmark on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

This is by far the best game of the 2015 year! Cardinals won all of there games on NBC (one preseason, one postseason, and 3 regular season games). They were better than Notre Dame on NBC!!

7. By Scott H on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

FIVE prime-time games….wow! In years gone by, we were lucky to get ONE. Remember those days?? And it was usually a game against a team like the Cowboys or another team that I guess the NFL believed would put enough fans in our own stadium to make it look full. Good lord, that was so sad. And, my. what a long way we have come.

Those five prime time games were SOOOO much fun and they will always be as memorable as anything else that happened during the 2015 season. I took off on every one of the days that followed the nights those games were played on. And they were some of the sweetest days off I’ve EVER had! Heck, that was a whole week of vacation days – served up one slice at a time! 🙂

8. By Dr. G. on Apr 8, 2016 | Reply

I saw the Packer game again recently… still created some nerves even though I knew the outcome..! Good teams can produce weird or broken plays that are hard to defend ‘cuz there is no practice design. Winners don’t quit on a play…that’s a lesson for our guys.

We recall the Hail Mary gift to Nelson in the end zone though double teamed by PP and RJ. Then as mentioned here, PP’s INT nearly made up for it before being called back. There were a number of similar broken plays in that game…recalling Fitz sprinting like a scalded dog for pay dirt while delivering a mean straight arm.

I guess the media really likes the crazy stuff with unpredictable conclusions. Well, gentleman, keep the cameras rolling; more thrills coming in 2016..! Though, I still like a few blowouts…easier on the heart…later

9. By Dr H on Apr 9, 2016 | Reply

Cards are now the “must see” team!!!!!

10. By texascard on Apr 9, 2016 | Reply

Was it the Super Bowl? Then it was meaningless

11. By Scott H on Apr 9, 2016 | Reply

Dr.G –

RE: Hail Mary gift to Nelson??

You mean JANIS?? Guess so, since Nelson wasn’t even playing.

12. By Dr. G. on Apr 9, 2016 | Reply

Scott… Indeed, it was Janis…too many Js on my mind. Can’t imagine how I could deny his credit in such haste! I only saw that play 20 times. #21 keeps drawing my focus there…can’t help that either. I knew Nelson was out…you win. Thanks

13. By texascard on Apr 10, 2016 | Reply

Sneak peek at next list. Throwing a pass instead of running the ball and running the clock tops the list as worst call of the year. The only “gift to Janis” was by coach leaving forty extra ticks on the clock.
    Ps. Keep the thumbs down coming!!!!!

14. By Scott H on Apr 10, 2016 | Reply

Dr.G –

No worries. After what Janis did to us that night, I think I’ll remember his name for the next 100 years! He seems a talented kid. And if he has earned the trust of Aaron Rodgers, then I think good things are in store for him. But even if he does nothing else from this day forward, I will ALWAYS remember Jeff Janis.

When I watch that replay….I CANNOT believe our DB’s just allowed him to get right under them – in perfect position to defend that play – and go up to make a play on that ball. As many times as I watch it, I still can’t believe it happened.

But after the Cardinals came back to win that game in OT, Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy must feel like they NEVER want to play another playoff game against the Cardinals in UoP Stadium!

15. By CreditCard on Apr 10, 2016 | Reply

Totally different subject … the Jets acquired Ryan Clady from the Broncos. I was hoping the Cards would have somehow obtained Clady.

16. By JohnnyBluenose on Apr 11, 2016 | Reply

texascard….agree with you. i was disgusted when i saw that play. but i think i read somewhere that arians had called a running play but palmer audibled out of it and threw that pass to fitz. incredibly dumb.

17. By Scott H on Apr 11, 2016 | Reply

I’m just glad Clady didn’t land in Seattle. After they took a hit to their O-line when they lost Okung, I was wondering if they were gonna make a play for Clady. Clady is just fine with the Jets. Didn’t want to see him in Seattle!

18. By texascard on Apr 11, 2016 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose
    Out of respect to the intelligence of your posting history I am going to accept that Arians is clean on that call. And I won’t bore you with any thoughts on Palmer. We have to expect more from this team. Super Bowl or bust.

19. By Dr. G. on Apr 11, 2016 | Reply

Jblue//Tcard… audibled out…yep that is exactly what was noted after the critique became obvious. Carson needs to heed BA in critical situations. Never, ever give your foe more time to put our defenders in a stupid highlight reel…nuts &bolts!

20. By steve on Apr 11, 2016 | Reply

Darren: Between now and the draft, I’d love to hear you throw out a name as to whom you believe the Cards 1st pick will be, just a fun guess of course!

2. Apr 12, 2016: Today’s Best Arizona Cardinals Ariticles April 12, 2016 | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog
  3. May 10, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | NBC Emmy after Cardinals-Packers