Draft (i.e. QB) trade changes NFC West

Posted by Darren Urban on April 14, 2016 – 8:06 am

The draft was changed significantly Thursday morning, and with it, so was the NFC West. The Rams, now in Los Angeles, completed a huge trade with the Tennessee Titans to acquire the No. 1 overall pick. It will be a quarterback, either Carson Wentz or Jared Goff (the conventional wisdom seems to be Wentz.) The Rams were picking 15th overall, so the price to move up 14 spots was hefty: The Titans get back not only L.A.’s first-round pick but also two second-round picks and a third-rounder this season, as well as the Rams’ 2017 first-round pick (which if the rookie QB struggles, could be pretty high.)

The Titans did add in a fourth- and sixth-rounder in the 2016 draft back to the Rams.

It’s a reverse of what the Rams did in 2012 when they shipped the No. 2 pick to the Redskins so Washington could take QB Robert Griffin III. RGIII flamed out after an excellent rookie year, but the Rams didn’t really benefit much from the trade either — they have yet to make the playoffs since then. Now coach Jeff Fisher and GM Les Snead have come to the point where they need to make a push or get pushed out of their jobs, so they pushed all their chips in for a QB. Neither Wentz or Goff have the same kind of buzz around them like a Cam Newton or Andrew Luck or Jameis Winston. Its a risk.

Meanwhile, you figure a No. 1 overall pick would play right away, meaning the Cardinals will be seeing a rookie QB twice this season. The Rams have two very good part in place to help a rookie QB — a running back who looks like he will be great in Todd Gurley, and a very good defense. If the QB pans out, the Rams will be in good shape over the next few years. If not, their roster will take a hit from giving up so many high picks. But like Cardinals GM Steve Keim says often, most of the time the QBs that become the “QB of the future” can only be found at the top of the draft. The Rams made sure they made it to that mountaintop, regardless of the price.

RamsTrade

Tags: , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Draft (i.e. QB) trade changes NFC West”

1. By azjam on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

Rams should be two easy wins this year for our Cards!!

2. By joe holst on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

they did the Cardinals a favor by dumping all those draft picks, Tennessee is set up nicely.

3. By D on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

I wonder if a 3rd round pick and T. Jefferson would be enough to trade for M. Glennon.

It would surprise a few people since the Cards don’t currently have a 2nd round pick, but we all heard the rumors the last few years about AZ interested in Mr. Glennon. TB drafted him in the 3rd round 4 yrs ago, the tall strong arm type QB the BA likes…and it appears that T. Jefferson isn’t considered a long term solution right now at Safety with a low tender. TB needs a safety.

4. By Ayo4seo on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

Kobe sucks

5. By JosEPh on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

@D,
    No No to the TJ and 3rd rd pick for Glennon! Absolutely Not! That has Kevin Kolb written all over it.

Glennon, If the Cards really wanted him, can be had Much much cheaper than your proposal. Which leaves the question: Are you Rod Graves in Disguise?

A 3rd and TJ for Glennon? smh!

6. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

D,

Glennon ???? Got to go with JosEPH on this one.

Even if he was pretty good, he is in the last year of his contract. Are the cards going to bring him in, have him be 3rd string, then offer him a bunch of money to be 3rd string in 2017???

Why trade Jefferson? It makes very little money and makes plays.

Uhhgg. Even Rod Graves wouldn’t make that move

7. By edgar on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

Bruh

8. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

As for the trade;

Home run for both teams.

The Titans need a lot. A LT as the number 1 pick helps , but getting multiple picks, not to mention another number 1, will help build them into a contender in a couple years. Yes, they must protect Mariota and give him weapons. With the extra picks, the can do that.

The Rams, well, we know what it is like without a QB. If you don’t have one, you must go get one. The rams were 32nd in the league in passing yards. 29th in points. Yet was 7-9. The have Gurley and a big offensive line. Great move by them.

9. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

As for the Draft,

It makes it interesting. If Goff is there, do the Browns take him. I think they were set to take Wentz but will they take Goff or will they pair Joe Haden with Jalen Ramsey?

If they pick Goff, what does that do to SF? If that happens, how high will Paxton Lynch get pushed up?

Got to believe it pans out like this;
    Wentz to Rams
    Goff to Browns
    Lynch to Niners
    Cook to Jets

Where does that leave the Broncos? Overpaying for Kaepernick? Or making a monster trade up to get Lynch?

Sleeper alert… Brandon Allen to Dallas with the 4th pick in round 3. Yep 3.

10. By D on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

@ JosEPh (if that is your real name)

Did you not just see what the Rams gave up for a QB that is based on potential? I am sure once they dig deep into this trade, the Rams probably also had to throw in a % of Kroenke’s Wal Mart ownership…or maybe just a third cousin.. but clearly it’s not cheap getting a young QB in the NFL.

There is No Blake Bortels in this draft, I would take Glennon over any of these QB’s that are coming out in 2 weeks. Wentz played in the same division as my college, in the Missouri Valley, not exactly the ACC in terms of football greatness.

There is talk in Denver of giving up a 2nd round pick for Glennon. He is going into his last year of his rookie deal, he will be traded around the draft.

Don’t put anything past Keim on making a deal for a young QB.

11. By clssylssy on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

Wow…now that’s what I call “aggressive”! Smart, not especially but probably flashy enough to lure some fans from the competitive LA entertainment market and sell a few more, much needed tickets. Since this has been proclaimed the worse draft in a decade, it would appear the Titans were the better horse traders & I am much more interested in seeing how the schedules get stacked. I’m betting Roger makes sure his pet project has enough of an advantage to insure this LA venture some success & doesn’t fold befor the billion dollar stadium is completed. The NFC West could become the AFC North of old!

12. By harrdrain on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

what are the chances of Nick Foles being a trade possibility, i really think that Arians could do alot with him.

13. By Scott H on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

azjam –

As you look back over the last several seasons, how many times were the Rams an easy win for this team?? Not many. And it’s not like the Rams had anything close to an elite QB for those games. The Rams always play us tough. In this division, everybody plays everybody tough. We can hope that having a rookie QB may make the Rams an “easier” team to play this year, but….I’m not counting on it.

The Rams beat us once last year and even the 49ers scared the heck out of us once. We were lucky to escape that one with a win. There are no “easy” games in this division.

14. By All Day on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

This is why the NFL is so great. You never know what’ll happen. I personally love the idea of playing a young QB so we can give him some welcome to the NFL moments.

I’ve said it before but I really want either Connor Cook or Robert Nkimdeche at 29 otherwise trade out of the first round for the extra pick.

15. By marcelof on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

What about Zach Mettenberger?
    He looks to have all the tools, just wasn’t thrown into the correct team… yet… Plus, he’s only 24.

16. By Kevin S Mesa on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

I’ve heard Gambo and others on the radio talk about Glennon.

Why does this make any sense to anyone? Here’s the thing: Last year, Tampa Bay had the #1 OA pick, Tennessee #2. And we heard that Philadelphia offered the sun, the moon and the sky to move up to #2. So presumably they would’ve offered the same (at least) to get to the #1 spot.

So if Mike Glennon was a potential franchise QB, it would’ve made more sense for TB, a team with a lot of needs, to take the package of picks Philly was offering and build up the rest of their team. Instead, they drafted Winston.

If someone isn’t good enough to be the starting QB for a weak team like TB, then they sure as heck aren’t the QB I want to build our team around.

Unless Glennon can be had for a song (like a 6th or 7th round pick), I have no interest. I think he’s a backup at best and we already have one of those.

17. By Kevin S Mesa on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

Schedule comes out in a couple hours… I’d love to see us open with the Rams, given this news about the draft. Imagine if Carson Wentz goes from facing teams like Jacksonville St. and Richmond, to facing the Cardinals in his first game that counts. He’ll see a little bit of NFL defenses in the preseason, but nothing like what he’s going to see in his first real game.

18. By Scott H on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

If there is any real merit to strength of schedule rankings. I see where the entire NFC West is ( again ) clustered at the top of the list ( all within the top 7, with the Cardinals ranking at #7 ). That continues to be a testament to the overall strength of this division. Doesn’t seem to matter who is playing who, games between these teams are just about always a knock down, drag-out affair. More so than other divisions, in my humble opinion.

19. By Grandpa Black on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

There is no qb in this years draft good enough for a high first round pick. The Rams are reaching here and it’s payback for the beatdown they put on the ‘Skins for giving them the opportunity to get RG3.

The Cards have done well with resurrecting careers at qb and they will follow suit again.

The Rams gave up the next two drafts hoping they land a qb.

20. By CreditCard on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

This article tells me ticket prices need to lowered, as well as the cost of beer needs to be lowered via reduced TV advertisements during NFL games.

Let me recap. The Texans spent $47M on a 2nd string QB that played all of 7-games in his 4-year career, and throws the ball side-armed. Furthermore, the Texan coaching staff had no interviews, or practice session with this QB. Basically they bought this product (QB) sight unseen for a mere $47M.

The Rams gave both of their pride and heredity articles below their belly button for an unproven rookie QB. Furthermore, this QB came from a bottom level division, who just 2-months ago was pegged as a mid to late 1st round pick. This radical move was in hopes to sell more tickets in the new LA market, and in hopes serendipitously land a quality QB.

Too much revenue is lining the pockets of NFL owners, which is causing this reckless and mind boggling spending.

21. By CreditCard on Apr 14, 2016 | Reply

Les Snead and Jeff Fisher’s eyes grew as the dice tumbled across the table. The both of them pounding their fists on the table and chanting “baby wants new shoes, baby wants new shoes, baby wants…”

22. By Eazy E on Apr 15, 2016 | Reply

Wow what a puzzling move to say the least! Their is no Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, etc. all who I loved coming out! To do this for a unknown and weak competition in Carson Wentz at North Dakota State and Jared Goff who I like, but still all that! Thank God I’m not a Rams fan!

23. By faster on Apr 15, 2016 | Reply

looks like the rams managment is now going panama.

as for the draft, imo if the team takes a qb, the most fitting for this offense is hackenberg, but, and that`s a big BUT, he needs a lot of time to develope. if palmer stays healthy the next two seasons, maybe.

and, is it neccessary to get a new qb this year? stanton didn`t play to bad, when he played for palmer in 14.

24. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 15, 2016 | Reply

D

Glennon;

How do you get past the fact Glennon is a free agent next year?

Palmer plans on QBing in 2017. If that is true, are you prepared to pay Glennon big money to sit behind Palmer and Stanton?

But even if you are willing to pay him to stay, why are you?

All you really have to go off of is his rookie year, where he played 13 games.

We are not in desperate mode. The Texans over paid for Osweiler because all they needed was a QB to get over the hump. They could have traded a low pick to get Glennon, probably even last year, but the choose Osweiler.

No trade rumors that the Broncos want Glennon , and the Browns went with RG3.
    The Rams choose to trade away a bunch of picks instead of a low one to get Glennon.

The cards have 2-3 drafts to find someone. If they choose to go that way.

Not sure what you see that the rest of the NFL is not seeing.

25. By Old Guy in Scottsdale on Apr 15, 2016 | Reply

IMO the Rams overpaid for the #1 pick by at least two or three picks. If they don’t win big, this is going to hurt the Rams alot over time.

26. By LW on Apr 15, 2016 | Reply

Darren- do you know if there would be some interest from the Cards in Nick Foles?

27. By Darren Urban on Apr 16, 2016 | Reply

LW —

RE: Foles

As far as I know, he’s not going anywhere. Rams still need a backup, no?

28. By Kevin S Mesa on Apr 15, 2016 | Reply

Old Guy —

I agree. At the same time, I see why they did it. They’ve got a pretty good defense. They’ve got Gurley. The current regime probably recognizes they don’t have a lot of time to produce a winner — the Rams have been a sexy pick to surprise and make the playoffs for a couple years now, and yet they’ve ended up 6-10 in 2014 and 7-9 in 2015. (Arians’ “you have one team that’s always 8-8” comment was actually too generous — the Rams haven’t been 8-8 since 2006, and they haven’t had a winning record since 2003.)

I completely understand why you might go all-in on a QB in that situation, even if it means mortgaging the future. If it works, you keep your job. If it doesn’t, you don’t — but were you going to keep your job if Case Keenum led you to 6-10 again?

29. By Kevin S Mesa on Apr 15, 2016 | Reply

The unmentioned silver lining in this is that there was a good chance one of Goff or Wentz was going to fall to SF at #7 since, other than the Browns, all the other teams picking 1-6 have a decent QB situation (unless you assume Dallas wants a more solid backup and heir apparent to Romo). I saw a lot of mock drafts with SF getting Goff.

So now, SF’s QB situation remains dire with Kaep wanting out (and not being very good in any event). Since an NFC West team was likely to get one of the top QB’s in this draft anyway, I’m glad that team (the Rams) had to give up so much to get there, instead of the pick just naturally falling to the 49ers.

30. By CARDS62 on Apr 15, 2016 | Reply

My best friend is a long time Rams fan and all I can tell you is he is PISSED at this trade for the following reasons which I agree with and I would not be happy with our Cardinals if they made this move and had the same QB situation as the Rams. 1) This is a deep draft and the Rams could have selected 3 good ball players in the first two rounds and do not forget they lose their 1st rounder next year. 2)These QBs could be great but hold a lot of risk unlike if you were moving up to draft Luck or Manning. 3) A QB prospect would have been there for them to select in 1st or 2nd round who could turn out to be better than the QB they select. Just too much given up for this risk, We all know the long line of high draft choice QBs that just can not make it at the NFL level. Scott H is right the NFC West is a very tough division right now with 4 physical teams and the Rams will not be easy to beat in 2016 and 2017, but my opinion is the Rams just made our job easier the next two years.

Looking forward to the draft in couple of weeks and I have enjoyed all of your post about which players we should draft and I hope a lot of you can be online the night of the draft so we can all post who we think the Cardinals should draft right before the selection is made.

Go Cards!

31. By Big Ken on Apr 15, 2016 | Reply

oh the drama!

32. By Scott H on Apr 16, 2016 | Reply

I don’t really get anyone’s interest in Glennon. Maybe I need to see more of him. I don’t think he’s a bad QB, but…..I agree with JTDG, where does he fit in here over the next couple of seasons?

If Stanton had moved on, I would say sure, why not? But with Stanton back as the back-up…..there is no need for a Mike Glennon. The only QB we “need” right now is our QB of the future, and I’m not sure we will be addressing that this year. Nor do I think we necessarily have to.

33. By S on Apr 16, 2016 | Reply

Man, about that schedule for 2016…..awfully front-loaded with home games and 5 of the last 8 on the road. Not real friendly. I loved how last years’ scheduled played out with home games clustered at the front and the back. We’ve gotten used to having the last two games at home. Not this year.

We get tested right off the bat with the Pats in Week One. I’m hoping that just maybe during his time in NE, Chandler Jones heard Tom Brady say something not so nice about his momma and will be looking to settle that score that night!

So damn glad we get another crack at the Panthers. I mean, I hope we get another crack at them in the post-season as well. But after the way they embarassed us that night in Carolina, I want another shot at them ASAP. As I have come to know BA, I’m sure he might feeling the same.

In recent years, we have played Seattle on the road for the first meeting, then got them at home for the 2nd go round. But ya know what? With Seattle, who cares? They have absolutely handled us at home the last 3 years while our only two wins against them during that same time were in Seattle. We need to put a stop to that crap as well. The Cards have been a GREAT home team since the day they moved in to UoP Stadium. But the Seahawks have become entirely too comfortable here. THAT has to change. I am REAL sick of that noise. Shoot, the only loss they have had here in a long time was against NE in the SB. We need to stop making our house such a comfy place for them to be.

34. By dan on Apr 17, 2016 | Reply

Draft Jaylon Smith is 3rd rd

35. By dan on Apr 17, 2016 | Reply

If Ryan Kelly is available when we draft and we don’t pick him I’m going to be LIVID.

36. By Steve on Apr 17, 2016 | Reply

Darren: Just read about former 49ers LB Chris Borland and his decision to walk away from the NFL after 1 season because of his concerns about concussions and CTE. Do you see this as a possible increasing trend in the game as more and more players begin to evaluate their quality of life and health before their careers are over?

37. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Trend

Possibly. But if a few more players do it, I don’t know if it will drastically change the game.

38. By Patrick on Apr 17, 2016 | Reply

Rams must not have watched the movie “Draft Day”

39. By Scott H on Apr 18, 2016 | Reply

BTW, the previous post from “S” was actually mine. Guess I didn’t notice that my whole name didn’t go in. Just wanted to inform people so I can get the thumbs downs I usually get!

40. By Scott H on Apr 18, 2016 | Reply

Steve-

If you have not done so yet, get around to seeing the movie Concussion. I only just got around to it myself about a week ago. And all I can say is….wow. Your question about a possible increase in players walking away from the game at younger ages is touched on in the movie, presented as a real concern of the NFL’s if this truly does start to happen. Put seeing this movie on your list if you’ve not seen it yet.

Even as a life-long fan of NFL football, it was hard to watch. Just an absolute tragedy, what some of these former players went through after their careers were over.

41. By Scott H on Apr 18, 2016 | Reply

Well, farewell to Cory Redding. I really enjoyed seeing the replay of his fumble return for a TD against Green Bay ( in the regular season beat down we gave them ). Man, I forgot about the stiff arm plow-to-the-ground he gave Eddie Lacy on that play! THAT was a thing of beauty. So were the Cardinals that night. Hard to believe that a mere week later, WE were getting beat down by Seattle ( again ) on the very same field. Unfortunately, my wife & I chose to come out for THAT game instead of the Packers game. Insert the Homer Simpson “D’oh” here.

Yes, we do have depth along the D-line, and the team could add more in the draft, so….we figure to be OK there.

Darren – is anything going on with Freeney at this point? Have they even talked to him??

42. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2016 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Freeney

Just addressed in a new post: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2016/04/18/first-day-back-but-roster-still-evolving/

43. By Big Ken on Apr 19, 2016 | Reply

Seen Glennon compared to Paxton Lynch.