Center may be college non-center

Posted by Darren Urban on April 19, 2016 – 4:51 pm

Lyle Sendlein and Ted Larsen are gone. And while A.Q. Shipley remains and the Cardinals have signed a couple of other street free agents in Taylor Boggs and Valerian Ume-Ezeoke, it’s pretty clear the Cardinals are on course to draft a center at some point. Maybe it’s the first round, a guy like Alabama’s Ryan Kelly (who has been a favorite for mock drafters to scribble next to the Cardinals at 29th overall.) But it won’t be a surprise, even though the Cards don’t have a second-round pick, if they wait. After listening to both Steve Keim and Bruce Arians Tuesday, it shouldn’t even be a surprise if one comes later — and isn’t even technically a center. Not yet.

“In this draft, there are several opportunities to draft centers in all rounds,” Keim said. “Some of those guys are projections. There are some guys in the second, third, fourth rounds, who are going to be guys who played left tackle or they played guard at the collegiate level, who we worked out at center or they played center previously in their career that we think has the skill set. There are going to be opportunities to address that position if we feel necessary.”

Arians noted a couple of very good NFL centers like Jeff Hartings of the Steelers and Tim Grunhard of the Chiefs (Grunhard played guard in college, Hartings started his NFL career at guard before moving to center) that made the move. “When you say a college center, there might be three college centers, but there are 15 potential centers,” Arians said.

Options obviously open up a lot of possibilities for that first pick. Waiting on a center makes it easier to take a cornerback. Or a defensive lineman. Whatever Keim might want.

Ryan Kelly

Tags: , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Center may be college non-center”

1. By Big Ken on Apr 19, 2016 | Reply

John the Draft Guy mentioned Kyle Friend of Temple. Insider info? tell tell

2. By D on Apr 19, 2016 | Reply

Isaac Seumalo

3. By CreditCard on Apr 19, 2016 | Reply

A couple of qualifiers:

1. The Cardinals have never previously phoned, emailed, text, or even sent smoke signals to me about potential draft picks. I’m taking that their continual silence towards me, as a hint they don’t value my opinion — even in the slightest. Because of their silence towards me, only makes me believe, that Keim and Company really know what their doing!

2. The players I think the Cards should pick, have never ever been picked by the Cards. (More than likely never ever been considered by the Card’s top brass.)

3. The players that I think are sure certain “winners”, most of those picked ended up either being complete duds in the league or not making it into the NFL.

Therefore, my picks normally have an anti-Midas touch.

Credit Card’s estimated picks:

1. Trade down for a 2nd and a 4th round pick

2. Players I think the Cards should select. I have not placed these players by round selection, but rather which player I think the Cards could conceivably draft and these players potentially make an impact:

Green, CB, Clemson, project — special team player for 1st and/or 2nd year in league.

Hall, CB, Northern Iowa. Cards and Northern Iowa have been a good combo in previous drafts. This kid has the speed, range, talent — and right school.

Judon, DL, Grand Valley, lead nation in sacks, very athletic and raw talent. Based on size could play a variety of spots on the line and as a linebacker.

Glasgow, C, Michigan, big, nasty, and vastly improved last year. Nice upside.

Cardell Jones, QB, Ohio State, Imagine the competitive spirit when the Michigan center is snapping the ball to the Ohio State QB, and moreover having the Ohio state QB placing his hands on his rear! Jones has the best long range potential as QB in this year’s draft.

Jaylon Smith, ILB, Notre Dame. Will have to sit a year — probably a 2nd round pick. One of the best athletes in the draft, and good character.

4. By andystandsup on Apr 19, 2016 | Reply

Personally, think the Colts or Washington will select Kelly before Cards pick.
    Have Broehm, Allen, Tuerk…even ASUs Westerman.

5. By sbrown on Apr 19, 2016 | Reply

Friend is 6 ft 2 305 pounds,is a senior, was a team captain last season was was first team all AAC, and academic all AAC.
    a four year starter at Temple, had a streak of starts in 43 games in a row

Could this be another late round hidden gem from SK ??

6. By Garth Short on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

If we go center in the first round, all the experts seem to be saying Kelly or Whitehair. I’ll be happy with either.

7. By Chris on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Why does everybody love Cardell Jones so much? Yes, he is big, tall and has a huge arm. Looks great in shorts. The guy got benched at the college level. If you are not good enough to start at that level even at Ohio.. Why wld you think he is going to be a top 10 player some day at the pro level??

How many players have awesome college careers and look great in shorts and never come close to being an average QB at the pro level?

I like a QB that was a 3 yr starter. Even his coach said that his new team needs to be patient. This is the guy that almost got in a fight over a bad comment about Tebow’s ability to play at the pro level. Sell your player coach…unless he is not worth selling.

8. By John on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Joe Dahl from Washington State. Look at his Combine results. Rising draft order. Played Tackle and Guard in college. Look at all reports on him moving from Tackle to Guard or Center. 3rd round if he is still available. No brainer!

9. By sbrown on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

the talk about drafting a guard and then moving him over to center, might be just a smoke screen.

IMO, with the “win now” window that the Cards are in, if SK has a chance to draft one of the top true centers, ( I like Kelly in round 1, also like Glasgow from Michigan, Allen from Mich St or Blythe from Iowa, Boehm from Missouri ) to come in and be a starter right away, then why not ?

The last thing I want to see is a player in the middle of the O-line, trying to learn how to be a center, learn all the line calls and the tough BA playbook all at the same time.

If they draft a true center with big time college experience, that would be a smarter move to me.

10. By Trip on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Darren, this has nothing to do with this specific article, but any word on where we stand with Dwight Freeney? Has he signed somewhere else? Do we still have a chance to bring him back? In your opinion, should we offer him another incentive based one year deal? Thanks.

11. By Darren Urban on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Trip —

RE: Freeney

Talked about this here: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2016/04/18/first-day-back-but-roster-still-evolving/

And yes, I would bring him back.

12. By All Day on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Center is a position that’s easy to fill later on in the draft. I really think either Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook or Robert Nkimdeche are the guys we should target at 29 otherwise trade back to the early first round and get your Corner or your center.

13. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Big Ken;

Inside info;

I heard an interview with Jay Feely who said the cards loved Kyle Friend. The guy is tough and smart and fits the type of center BA likes.

The connection? Friend is at Temple, where BA coached. But beside the connection, the thought was, he could come in and start day one here.

I didn’t know much about him before Feely. It was Feely who leaked it. Feely who thought he was a terrific center. And Feely who thought the cards would take him.

I personally like the pick and agree with Jay.

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Friend

Interesting that Friend comparison on this analysis (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/kyle-friend?id=2556120) is A.Q. Shipley.

15. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Chris,

Cardelle Jones;

I agree. It is like falling in love with a 7 ft center who is built and can run, but in the game, he blocks no shots, scores no points, and has no impact, and is benched.

Yes, maybe the right coach can fix him. And look what you get, if you can. Jack pot ! But really, why can’t he stay on the court?

Jones wins at QB if it is about looking good in shorts, looking the part, doing the drills. But why is he on the bench? It is not like he was behind Peyton Manning.

I keep saying this name. Take note. Jacoby Brissett. This is the guy I take a chance on.

16. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Friend;

And they signed Shipley. Same strong stocky smart guy. But I like this line from the scout you posted.

” Cinder block of power and toughness. Commands the locker room and was named a team captain for three straight years.”

I like that

17. By Darren Urban on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Shipley

They did sign him. They also decided to bring back Sendlein last year when Shipley wasn’t the answer at center. If you already have Shipley, why would you want another one?

I’m not saying they won’t make this pick. But it’s worth noting.

18. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Credit Card

Mock draft;

TJ Green is interesting. He is a lot like Damarius Randall from ASU who went to the Packers. A very fast, big safety, who may be better at CB in pros. If the cards think he can morph into a CB, then he would be a nice pick up in round two.

Could you get him in round 3? Maybe very early round 3 but more likely round two after he ran a 4.34 and displayed man coverage abilities.

Trading down into round two makes sense if Alexander and Apple are gone. The cards need a CB. He would be a nice round two pick.

Of course, I love Jaylon Smith and would risk the injury to take him in round two and have him sit 2016. A 90% Smith is light years better than Minter.

19. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Darren

Comparisons;

Got to take those with a grain of salt. Example, Nick Martin is compared to John Sullivan, who was drafted in round 6. So drafting him in round two is over drafting him?
    Ryan Kelly is compared to Bryan Stork.

But I will say looking at AQ’s draft comments, they do sound a lot like Shippley.

But please note, this came from Jay Feeney. I am passing on what he said and thinking he might be on to something.

If the Cards do take Friend, lets hope he is just a better version on Shipley.

20. By clssylssy on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

A loud AMEN to sbrown ! The position may not be as sexy or glamorous as others but is not a place to skimp or try to Frankenstein a player. The Redskins will probably grab Kelly but I would be thrilled if Keim could pull that off.
    Wonder who will jump on Josh Norman now that the Panthers rescinded their Franchise Tag…Cowboys? Denver?…somebody with lots of money and are desperate?

21. By Big Ken on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

Enjoyed everyone’s blogs. Friend = Shipley? Hum The teams interest in Cardelle Jones I think is smoke and mirrors. I think they have a QB in mind to draft. Not him though, but Cardelle kind of sounds like Cardinal. As for the Eagles trade, where’s Scott? I think he resides in Philadelphia.

22. By Chuck 1 on Apr 20, 2016 | Reply

I agree with Chris.
    Drafting Cardell Jones would be like drafting Thomas a few years ago.
    He was demoted by the coach.
    Couldn’t hit a barn door.