Fitz gets charitable with softball

Posted by Darren Urban on April 21, 2016 – 9:17 am

Larry Fitzgerald has more football left in him (although I do feel for him a bit this season — these potential retirement questions probably aren’t going away), but first, softball. Fitz is hosting his annual charity softball game Saturday night at Salt River Fields in Scottsdale. Friday, he’s also hosting a charity golf tournament. (Click here for all the details.)

The events benefit Fitzgerald’s First Down Fund, which helps “kids and their families by funding positive activities for kids during the summer and throughout the year, supporting kids and families in crisis, and supporting health-related organizations that work with families.” (That’s straight off Fitz’s website.) The softball game has grown bigger every year and, not surprisingly with Fitz, has been a big success.

Among the players scheduled to attend: Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas, Archie Goodwin and P.J. Tucker of the Phoenix Suns, former Cardinals wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Andre Roberts, Bills receiver Sammy Watkins, ex-NFL wideout Terrell Owens, and current Cardinals Michael Floyd, Calais Campbell and Andre Ellington.

FitzSoftPicBLOG

Tags:

10 Responses to “Fitz gets charitable with softball”

1. By mal on Apr 21, 2016 | Reply

Fitz should do like Tom Brady and tell everyone he wants to play another 10 years — whether it’s true or not — just to shut everybody up about it.

2. By Scott H on Apr 21, 2016 | Reply

Not related, but…OMG, just heard the news about Prince. Holy cow. What an artist AND performer. Saw him once and it was amazing. That man could do it all, and he pretty much did. Purple Rain was like the soundtrack to my youth ( or, at least about a year of it ). So sad.

3. By Scott H on Apr 21, 2016 | Reply

Fitz is a good man. Heard someone ask recently how much / how much longer do we want to pay Fitz to be the face of the franchise. My answer? For as long as he continues to PLAY like one of the top WR’s in the game. We’re not paying him for his face. He just happens to come with the bonus of being a face of the franchise type guy!

4. By Richard S on Apr 21, 2016 | Reply

One week to the draft. i used to like to watch the college allstar games after the draft with the players wearing the Cardinal helmets. I taped 3 of the allstar games this year, and got the roster numbers off the internet for the games, so at least I can see what the players the Cards draft look like, although some years the players the Cards pick were either not invited to the games, or decided not to go to protect their health, or the Cards picked some unknown future star that no one heard of.

5. By Dr. G. on Apr 21, 2016 | Reply

Good on ya Fitz…one of myriad reasons why you are a good man.

The “”Character counts”” article sounds like a set-up for Noah Spence if he is there at #29…a very rational dice roll.

Also, this draft is replete with CBs that Keim may like. The Center position will be taken care of one way or another…not worried there.

It’s a comfort to know that BA thinks we could play right now with the crew Keim has developed with few changes…later, Cards Fans…

6. By Steve on Apr 21, 2016 | Reply

Darren: A little off topic I know, but were you a little bit of a fan of Prince and his music? To early to pass away for such an iconic musician…

7. By Darren Urban on Apr 21, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Prince

Having grown up in the 80s, it was hard not to be a fan of Purple Rain when it was dominant around 1984-85. Yes, I liked his stuff back then and it’s terrible to hear today’s news.

8. By Eric G on Apr 22, 2016 | Reply

One week away from the draft and the closer the draft comes, the more I’m liking Paxton Lynch as the #1 pick if he is there. Doubt he will be, but if he is, I’d be ecstatic if the Cards choose him. I’ll be just as ecstatic if Noah Spence is the pick. I won’t be if Nkemdiche is the pick, I’m not buying this one.

Here’s my list of preferences of likely players available at 29:
    1. Paxton Lynch
    2. Noah Spence
    3. Mackensie Alexander
    4. William Jackson III
    5. Ryan Kelly
    6. Leonard Floyd (likely gone)
    7. Shaq Lawson

I’m also not buying Cardale Jones as a viable starter. I hope the visit to Ohio is nothing more than a smoke screen. I would not be happy drafting a QB who once tweeted “Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain’t come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS” A QB that doesn’t like to study won’t survive in the NFL.

9. By clssylssy on Apr 22, 2016 | Reply

Hard to get too worked up about the draft; it is what it is and not Steve Keim’s real strength, average at best. The last time the Cards took a player I liked was Tyrann Mathieu so obviously they manage to find a few “acorns” like David Johnson without my input. Still when I see Tyler Lockett & Amari Cooper hitting it out of the park their rookie years can’t help but think “what if”. What is most exciting is seeing the end product that is put on the field that may include players from earlier drafts who have been red shirted.
    I feel we are in good shape but don’t buy into the line that we could play today as our defense is looking like Swiss cheese, full of holes & the walking wounded. Defense has a long way to go to stand up to the Patriots, Rams or Seattle…or the Panthers w/o Josh Norman.
    @ Scott… Fans everywhere have made Fitz the face of our franchise not the marketing department because of the quality of high standardse and excellence he brings to every thing he get’s involved with. Being “the face” is not something that can be assigned but is earned. These charity events sponsored by our players are a big part of what has allowed this organization to grow into what it is today and I couldn’t be prouder of these off the field efforts.
    Who will ever forget Prince’s SB halftime show in Miami that overshadowed the game and was the best ever!

10. By Scott H on Apr 22, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

As always, I appreciate your responses. I agree with what you say. To be honest, I don’t even think Fitz is the kind of guy who WANTS to be a face-of-the-franchise, ya know? When it’s game time, he wants the ball. We know that. He does not mind THAT spotlight but even then, it’s about making plays to help the team win. Period. It’s not about the show-boating we saw so much of from guys like Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens.

But face of the franchise….honestly, I don’t think Fitz has ever or would ever ASK for that. I think he is more low-key, just wants to work at being the best player he can be. FOTF is a title that is given by fans and the media. And, really, how could ya blame either for seeing Fitz that way?

I see him that way, whether he does or not. But I don’t need him to go out of his way to DO anything to be a FOTF guy.