Floyd shrugs off trade rumors

Posted by Darren Urban on April 27, 2016 – 10:28 am

It was about this time last year when rumors cropped up about the Cardinals and potentially trading wide receiver Michael Floyd, something that obviously didn’t happen. Similar rumblings have come up this week, that Floyd– heading into the final year of his contract — could be dealt draft weekend for a pick. Floyd shrugged it off last year, and he does the same now.

“I don’t worry about it at all,” Floyd said prior to throwing out the first pitch at Tuesday night’s Diamondbacks game. “It’s kind of what I saw last year too, but I don’t worry about it at all. I go into work, put my work in, watch film with my teammates and go about my day.”

Floyd would seem to be more likely than not to stay a Cardinal, but the speculation about his future isn’t going to fade. He’s due a little more than $7 million this year and then the Cards will have to determine if they want to get a long-term deal done and Floyd will have to decide if it makes sense to stay. The 2012 first-round pick has been good the last couple of years but hasn’t reached the level that the Cards had hoped by now. As a free agent, Floyd figures to be primed to make a lot on the open market — perhaps more than the Cards will be willing to spend. There’s also the puzzle piece that is Larry Fitzgerald and Fitz’s impending free agency as well.

FloydBlog

Tags: ,

27 Responses to “Floyd shrugs off trade rumors”

1. By shane on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

they wont trade him .. last time i checked the cards were all in to win a Superbowl this year if so, you dont trade away your best WR for draft picks and increase your chances.. trade away floyd and the cards can kiss there Superbowl chances away this year. floyd may not be Dez Bryant or Julio jones but he shows flashes of them & shows up in big games . Who has been the WR who has torched seattle in seattle the last couple of years and basically won both games for the cards? Floyd… who showed up big in the packer playoff game & almost all the cards prime time games last year ? floyd .. if the cards trade him they obviously are not all in this year, But i dont think they will

2. By Jerry on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

I don’t look at Floyd as a number 1 receiver when the time comes thats Fitz retires. He is good but not #1 in my opinion. I don’t see him being traded unless someone is there in the draft to replace him of in free agency

3. By Tony on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

I really hope the Cards don’t deal Floyd. While he might not have reached the level they’ve been expecting, he still brings too many big plays to our passing game that can’t be made up for by the rest of our receivers. Smoke didn’t make the progress in year 2 that was expected and while Fitz was more or less healthy and extremely productive this year, its not something we can afford to count on in my opinion. Brown and Nelson are also no where near the level we need. Even if we don’t resign Floyd after 2016, he’s a key part of a 2016 SB run and we could always use the transition tag after the season right? Another team would have to part with a number 2 pick to sign him then, or am I wrong? This won’t be a popular comment, but I’d much rather see the Cards deal someone like Calais Campbell. His cap hit is way too high, I think he’s under-performed the past couple years, and he will command too much money to keep after year, especially considering Mathieu and Chandler Jones are both heading into contract seasons as well. Darren, Kyle, Birdgang, thoughts?

4. By RagingREDBird on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

DRAFT FIRST ROUND

1) Kelly must be first option biggest need
    2)CB Apple or Jackson
    3) DL Jones or Nkemdiche(??)
    4)Trade back
    5)Pick up WR trade Floyd for second round pick go after Center,CB,DL with pick
    6)long shot..trade Campbell for second rounder(??) pick DL first round go CB or Center with second round pick from Campbell.. Don’t think this will happen cause I don’t think they can get the second round pick for him.

Later rounds
    OL depth
    QB
    RB to take taylors spot
    ILB depth Minter is last year and can’t cover

CRAP
    Why do people keep talking Safety??
    Why Cardale??? His twin Jamarcus Russell just said he wld play for free

5. By steve on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

Darren: Not saying I want the team to trade Floyd but if they dangled him out there for a second round pick during the draft would you expect a team to bite?

6. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Trade

Don’t have any idea at this point.

7. By Scott H on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

Geez….the issue of Floyd, whether to trade him or not….what we do with him beyond this year…..what we do with Fitz after this year…..the deal that we know is looming for Jones after this year…..it makes me feel like I just want them to win the whole damn thing this year. Get it done. Then, I can be happy with whatever happens after that. Not that the future doesn’t matter, but this is a win NOW team. You aren’t gonna be a legit SB contender every year. But you ARE right now. So, make it happen now, while you have this window. Heck, the Broncos are definitely looking at taking a big step back this year and maybe for a few years. But I’ll bet that SB they just won makes that OK for the fans out there. They’ll deal with a down year or two or three while they know their front office is trying to do everything it can to get back on track as soon as possible. And they will because they have front office that knows what it’s doing. We have that same kind of front office. So, give me a SB this year – that Lombardi Trophy we all want so badly – and I’ll be just fine with whatever comes in its wake.

All that said, I DO NOT want to see Michael Floyd anywhere but right here in Cardinals red & white for 2016. I think it is more likely he is on the verge of the monster season we have all wanted from him than anything else. So….I don’t see now as the time to deal him. We lose Floyd now, we lose a lot.

In a perfect and simple world, the Cards will win it ALL this year, Fitz may opt to retire, and Floyd can take over as the top dog at WR. I would be VERY OK with that scenario. Because 2016 may very well be the last season we can have Fitz and Floyd here together.

8. By Dr. G. on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

Shane…agree….. I posted the comparative stats a while back, so at this point, I would just direct the fans who have doubts about Floyd to go to the nfl numbers to convince themselves that he is indeed our best WR statistically. Stats are on the Cards site too.

Don’t just bang on Floyd without doing some homework. His stats are better than Fitz percentage wise in every category… He gets the ball about half as much…throw him the damn ball and watch him get the stats of a #1 WR. He is certainly one of the best 32 in the NFL.

He’s one of the leagues best jump ball guys;; he is fast for a big man;; he can prevent INTs on errant passes because he fights it out ((the little speedsters cannot));; his character is good;; he is young, and he won’t quit despite not getting the ball. Not many realize that he is ALWAYS a decoy when others get the ball.

Bottom line:: please tell me who you can get in this draft anywhere that is plug in and play, 1st or 2nd round included…sorta like Chandler Jones is our 2nd round guaranteed pick. There are places ((like Fitz if he retires)) to give Floyd a reasonable long term deal. This guy is not replaceable with an unsure draft pick.

Cards Fans, if you do some homework, you will really appreciate this guy…! G’day.

9. By D on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

Darren-you should lobby the boss to send you to Chicago to interview in person the players drafted/write up blog posts, etc. I would recommend staying at the Drake or the Palmer House, both fine places with great food options in the area…

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

D —

RE: Chicago

Seeing that the chances the Cardinals take a player there is slim, I don’t see the need.

However, I did stay at the Drake once upon a time, during my one season covering the then-Phoenix Coyotes.

11. By D on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

If the Cards stay at #29 and No surprise major impact player falls to them…then I think it could come down to Cody Whitehair vs Jihad Ward.

12. By Cardinals212 on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

Tony —
    “Smoke didn’t make the progress in year 2 that was expected”

2014 2015
    Tgts 102 101
    Rec 48 65
    Yds 696 1003
    Yds/Rec 14.5 15.4
    Yds/Gm 43.5 66.9
    TDs 5 7

13. By Jose Cruz on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

This guy crazy trade Floyd for a second round pick when he was a 1st round pick plus guy a beast …we have a loaded receivers corps can’t get them all every game…plus run the ball too johnson& johnson..he’s are star….im a die hard birdgang fan and he’s one of my favorite plus Campbell has Jones now just wait and see…

14. By CARDS62 on Apr 27, 2016 | Reply

I am not in love with Floyd like several of you, but I do think he is very talented and has great size and speed and I think he will play like a beast for us this season because it is a contract year for him. I have been a fan for 44 years and I want a Super Bowl Trophy.

Agree with Scott we sell out this year and worry about the money issues next year, but my fellow fans we do have money issues.. I hate that we let Cory Redding go. Really like how he played for us but I understand why we let him go, but I do not think we let him go if we had more salary cap room.

Steve Keim has been doing great for us, but I think next year will be his hardest year by far, and I am hoping he can continue that magic, but with all we are facing I believe we keep Floyd and draft a 1st rounder who can immediately play for us in 2016 like Kelly from Alabama, or a pass rusher, or a CB and go win the Super Bowl.

Go Cards draft well!

15. By Tony on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

Cardinals212 – you can post all the stats you want, he was expected to make a big leap, especially considering that he and Palmer worked together a lot in the offseason, and he didn’t. I don’t think he was consistent enough, even disappeared at times, and is still a #3 receiver.

16. By Eazy E on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

This is pretty surprising to say the least! I didn’t hear rumors about us trading him last year though, but I hope we don’t trade him. He hasn’t quite lived up to expectations because of poor QB play and Larry Fitzgerald! The poor QB play hurts everyone massively, but I say Larry because of his greatness we compare Floyd to him and he probably won’t come close to being Fitz! I do believe in John Brown if he we’re the #2, but I really hope we don’t trade Floyd because he has done very well for the past 2 seasons and what if this is THE season he is maybe THE best #2 in the league arguably! I would listen because you almost always listen, but the deal would have to knock my socks off to even consider!

17. By Tim on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

Darren- in the first round so you see the cards drafting the best player available or need? Also since they’re so close to a super bowl, do you draft for help now or future help?

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

Tim —

RE: At 29

Again, it depends who is there. There are enough talented guys there where you could, for instance, narrow it down to CB, C and DL (all areas of need) and still take a BPA. That’s usually how it works.

As for now vs. later, to me, the first round pick is supposed to help you now and later. He’s a first-rounder. I don’t expect a Humphries redshirt pick, in other words.

19. By Scott H on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

Cardinals212 –

Nice post in support of John Brown. I was thinking the same thing when I read the post you were responding to. I didn’t have the numbers right off the top of my head, but I was very sure they were improved in 2015, pretty much across the board. JB is a tremendously talented kid, and I do not expect there to be a drop off with him.

20. By Scott H on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

Cards62 –

No wonder you and I are always pretty simpatico in our thoughts – I think we both became Cardinals fans on the same day! 44 years is exactly how long I’ve been a fan, too. We have truly traveled the same road since the fateful day we signed up for this. And we have endured the same wait for a Lombardi Trophy. I really hope this is our year, bud.

21. By clssylssy on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

I would hate to see the Cards deal Floyd as he fulfills an extremely important role that aside from Fitz, none of our other receivers can step into because of their limitations size wise. Floyd brings size and physicality the Cards need but have traded for speed. Last season it looked like the front office was struggling with picking up his option but BA said he had “matured” a lot as a player and I don’t think we can afford to lose him if we expect to make a playoff run. That being said,I don’t see him as ever being a #1 because he seems to lack the intangibles that it takes to take his craft to the next level;he’s still more skilled than many of his peers, the and for sure better than anything in the draft.
    With others such as the Badger needing extensions, it seems the Cards have painted themselves into a corner financially & I don’t want to lose another valuable player who could help us go all the way. I fear that our secondary isn’t anywhere near what it was, and we have already lost a valuable piece in Rashard Johnson. Guess I’m all about the WIN NOW, and believe anybody would be in a better negotiating position with a SB on their resume!

22. By sbrown on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

depending on how the season works out, I think Fitz could be back on another 2 year deal. I think he will play as long as Palmer is the starter.

On another hand, IMO Floyd is the odd man out, with other contracts that will need to be extended or worked out ( Mathieu, Jones )maybe another RG if Mathis retires after the season, just don’t see Floyd getting another 7+ million per year deal.

So the question is could you move Floyd, get something now to use ( draft picks ) and let Jaron Brown, D. Johnson and a healthy J. Gresham get more receptions to make up for Floyd 800 yards and 6 TD’s from last season ?

This season into next will be the toughest for SK to work with the cap space available for extension of contracts, maybe letting some very fan friendly players go, and maybe trading a player that they just don’t have the cap space to resign.

23. By CardinalChris on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

I don’t want to see Floyd anywhere else but as a Card this season, but I can definitely understand that WR needy teams would be interested. Floyd is better than any WR coming out and still young. Definitely worth a first rounder. If I was a GM on a team with lots of cap room like the Raiders, I would be considering it. Or Jags at top of second round…Hoping it doesn’t happen though…

24. By Scott H on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here, folks ( I love Floyd, don’t want him going anywhere ), but I think this is a valid question. And here goes – I heard the comment that Floyd is definitely worth a first rounder. Hmmm….as a Cardinals fan, I would WANT that in return for Floyd. But if Floyd played for a different team these last few years, would we want the Cardinals to GIVE UP a first round pick FOR him???

Honestly, I do not know how many teams out there would give up their first round pick for Michael Floyd right now. Even WR-needy ones. Because WR has proven to be a position that can come right in and play and have an immediate impact. If you believe you see some of those coming out and you can draft one of them….why give up a first rounder for a player who – though still young – already has a few seasons on the odometer?

I could be wrong. Just my view.

25. By clssylssy on Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

@Scott…hear what you’re saying but there would be a big upside to getting a player still young and healthy who had been a part of a top offense who played beside Larry Fitzgerald, John Brown,coached by Bruce Arians & had playoff experience as well as being tested twice a year by a Seattle defense vs. some rookie unknown…just say’n. I would take Floyd over any player coming out of the draft plus he has learned how to live healthy and take care of himself wheras some of these overhyped rookies still think they are Superman & don’t realize they have ALOT to learn.
    This entire conversation makes me a little uncomfortable as our receivers are an area we shouldn’t mess with…

26. By sbrown on Apr 29, 2016 | Reply

Scott H –
    I’m not looking for a first round pick back in a Floyd trade. personally I don’t think any team would do that.
    But could the Cards maybe take a mid 2 + late 4 in a deal ?

clssylssy –
    Yes, the WR room for the Cards is solid, but I thin we are beginning to see how SK will work the roster ( Powers, R. Johnson, the 1 year tenders to Jefferson, Ja Brown, Swearinger, , his “one year” deals to older players to fill a need, etc…)

Look at the New England model, they will move a player maybe a year early instead of a year late, even though they don’t have a first they still have 12 picks this year to help build their roster and bring depth.

The old phrase, “you have to trade value to get value”, yes don’t like the option of a Fl;oyd trade, but this season would it be better to have two extra picks for SK to work with ?

whatever happens, we all will be there Sunday night cheering on Big Red as we start the road to Houston !

27. By Roger J on May 5, 2016 | Reply

I want Floyd to stay. Peeps are saying his production hasn’t reached an expected level, but remember how many weapons the Cards have for Carson and the fact that Fitz had an amazing year and was fed the ball accordingly. Cardinals had a top ranked passing offense, and so many receivers/RBs to spread the ball around too. Fitz will retire someday and we will be glad to have Floyd. When he becomes part of a normal receiving corp, you will see what he can do.