No trades, no QB and draft aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on April 30, 2016 – 5:07 pm

The Cardinals made no more trades. And they didn’t get a quarterback.

Those were the top two things on the possibilities list going into the draft, in part because of Paxton Lynch and his presence at the back half of the first round. If Lynch had been on the board for the Cardinals, it would have been intriguing — would a team tried to trade up for him with a sweet deal? Or might the Cardinals go ahead and take him as that long-awaited shot at a QB of the future? But it became moot when the Broncos traded up to 26 to get Lynch.

After that, the Cards didn’t have the capital to trade up into the second round and didn’t see a reason to move back. Meanwhile, if there were other quarterbacks around in whom the Cards had interest, they didn’t excite them enough to pull the trigger. And frankly, once you get to the fourth or fifth round, those QBs left are likely backups at best.

Instead, the Cards went heavy on defense, and heavy on the secondary. You can say what you want about needs and best player available, but often for teams those things dovetail as they set their draft board and it’s really not a surprise the Cards ended up with a potential starting center and depth in the secondary, in addition to an upgrade on special teams.

— All things considered, Robert Nkemdiche should be an excellent piece if he can go hard and stay away from any off-field issues. There’s a reason someone so physically gifted was there at No. 29. The reality is he would have gone soon after if the Cards hadn’t picked him, so the Cardinals didn’t stretch to take him. But they need something out of him this season, and he he needs to become that guy on the defensive line as that position evolves over the next couple of seasons.

— All three of the defensive backs taken are in the same mold: Brandon Williams, Marqui Christian and Harlan Miller have speed, can significantly help on special teams, and aren’t ready to drop in and play a major role on defense yet. The Cards have had success in this area with Justin Bethel, but in truth they still need Bethel to become a better cornerback and not just a Pro Bowl special teams guy.

— I like that Christian won the Cliff Harris award for the nation’s best defensive player in small college (Divisions II, III and NAIA) and I like that Adrian Wilson was impressed by him at a college all-star game. Wilson has a talent for scouting — Keim wouldn’t have given him this job if he didn’t believe that — and we will see if he has forecasted correctly.

— Would the Cardinals have liked Ryan Kelly at center? I’m sure. But I think the pick of Evan Boehm makes so much sense. He’s got the credentials, even as a fourth-rounder, and he’s got the mentality that not only fits Bruce Arians but Harold Goodwin. Lyle Sendlein started for many years as an undrafted rookie. It’s easy to picture Boehm doing the same.

— Does the youth at cornerback mean the Cardinals bring back Jerraud Powers? Arians said they don’t need to add any vets. If he did come back, do they keep five cornerbacks (Peterson, Bethel, Powers and the two draftees)? Last year they only had three cornerbacks on the roster because they kept five safeties.

— Among the positions I’d expect the Cards to hit in the undrafted rookie market: long snapper, quarterback, wide receiver. All three things weren’t hit in the draft. They will need another arm behind center and they certainly need a long snapper.

— That’s it. We’ll see how this draft class truly pans out around the 2019 season. In the meantime, rookie minicamp is next weekend.

afrerdraftblog

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

55 Responses to “No trades, no QB and draft aftermath”

1. By Canadian Redbird on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

Please bring in a punter to compete with Butler. He was the worst ranked punter in all of football. Not only his punting average but the number of punts blocked. Should have addressed this glaring need with either our 5th or 6th round selections.
    Absolute love our first round pick. Between him and Jones; they make our D – Backs even better.

2. By sportsblogger16 on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

Jake Coker is an interesting signing. Overall the draft played out like it normally does and some superstars will come from this class.

3. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

I am not sure how ti rate this draft,,,, Anyhow, it takes 2-3 yrs to see what type of player a NFL team has drafted. It seems the Cards went for speed in the later rounds.

Darren- Any undrafted punters coming in for a look..??? Please!!!
    Thanks!

4. By Scott H on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

The caption for this picture – Our front office can beat up your front office.

As stated, I think that in terms of the positions they targeted and the needs they filled – and considering that Chandler Jones was our 2nd round pick – the Cardinals came away with a very solid haul.

Hopefully, the kid we took at Center can step in and compete right now. Because unless Shipley is coming back this year notably improved over last year, he is not someone we can count on. Keep that number for Sendlein handy.

I am glad we didn’t reach for a QB because at 29….you probably aren’t finding anyone who REALLY figures to be a legit QB of the future type. There was no need to take another Logan Thomas-like flyer with 3 QB’s already on board. That would contribute nothing to RIGHT NOW and RIGHT NOW is clearly the priority.

At long last, we can be done with mock drafts.

5. By Mr. Know it All on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

Cards got stud on DL. Added DB help AW did the research . Tough smart OL picks. What about ILB?
    No Scooby snacks.

6. By steve drumm on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

If the Cards had really liked Paxton Lynch I’m sure they would have moved up to take him a few spots up. I have to believe that Keim had the intel on Denver moving up but chose to stand pat so I think Nkemdiche was their target. I was hoping for Noah Spence but I am happy with Nkemdiche because he also helps our pass rush. I like the pick of Williams in the 3rd but I think Harlan Miller will be the better corner of the two, great pick for the 6th round. Overall seems like a solid draft with the Cards getting a potential Pro Bowler at #29, a solid center and quality depth for our secondary, Harlan Miller having starting potential down the road.

7. By shannon robinson on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

All thumbs up for me on this draft. I think it’s important to recreate great players who produced as Stars for the Cards. I thought Ed Stinson was the Darnell Dockett clone and he was close but Nkemdiche is the real deal and he’s even going to wear #90! Williams is real fast and can release Bethel to concentrate on being a corner and B Will is a punt returner who averaged 6 yards a carry as a RB at Oklahoma. I am so impressed that Mr. Keim had the patience to wait to solve the Center Challenge. Some UDFA I believe weren’t drafted : Tyler Matakevich, ILB from our favorite, Temple; Morgan Burns, KR & CB from Kansas State; Rashard Robinson, CB LSU; Kolby Listenbee, WR TCU; De Bord and Neely the guards from EWU; Jeff Driskel, QB La. Tech and the LS who visited.

8. By chris on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

I know that I am a homer, but 205th pick and Scooby Wright III is still there and we don’t take him. WHY? He got hurt this year, but last year he had 165 tck 20 plus for loss sacks and turn overs. The cards go for a CB that runs a 4.6 40

9. By Dynosoar on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

I like the blue blazer BA is wearing so much better than the plaid one on the first day.

Scott H. – agreed on two things
    1. Our front office can beat up your front office!
    2. Our second round pick was Chandler Jones and with him, Rucker, Calais and Nkemdechi, our front line should feast and that’ll cause QBs to make mistakes and allow our secondary to feast.

I’m always so optimistic after the draft. Part of that is how well Darren writes, part is just me being me.

To echo, Butler rated well across the league for punters, but an upgrade would be oh so sweet (and I’m good if that upgrade is Butler improving.)

10. By georgiebird on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

The Cards got faster and more physical in this draft. It’s good to see that BASK knew the weak spot on this team was the defense and more specifically defensive speed.
    So along with the Chandler Jones trade, I feel the Cardinals were able to address some glaring weaknesses on the defense.

11. By Jonathan on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

I like the fact that we got so many DBs… And if we don’t have room in the secondary we could just turn them into dollar linebackers.

12. By CreditCard on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

Couple of observations regarding the Card’s 201 draft:

1. Ask Von Miller and Damarcus Ware if Jackson and Wolfe played a huge role in the Broncos’ success. I see Gunter and Nkemdiche doing the same thing for the Cards for years to come — excellent pick, excellent strategy.

2. Boehm was a wrestler, and played each snap with an ankle sprang. Playing injured probably dropped his value in the draft — another good pick.

3. Like the idea of drafting players to develop on defense, who hold great credentials for playing special teams. Good selections and good strategy.

4. I too like Marqui Christian. It appears this kid could become a special player. I think he c/b this year’s small college standout. Excellent scouting job and good strategy getting a unique / multi-facet type defensive player.

5. Undrafted group — need to get a long snapper!

6.Lastly, it appeared to me, that Bruce Arians looked tired. Long hours or maybe some of the picks — he didn’t like??? Not feeling well? Again, to me, Arians just didn’t look enthused or had his usual jovial demeanor.

13. By Dynosoar on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

My thoughts on Drew Butler in 2015.
    (all based on stats, I should love MLB more as much as I like stats.)

Most Punts: Of the 32 punters who had more than 50 punts, Drew was 28th at 60 punts (4 had fewer, the most was 96 by STL). We didn’t punt as often as most.

Longest: His 58 yard long ranks him 31 (PIT had the longest at 79 yards. Yeah, 79 yards!)

AVG: His avg of 42.9 yards also ranks 31 (the #1 avg is only 5.1 yards more at 48.0), the average yards is really tight, top to bottom. (AVG yards leader is STL at 47.9)

Inside the 20: Drew ranks 23rd with 22 (that’s 36% of his punts inside the 20, STL had 41 out of 96 punts inside the 20 which is 43%)

Blocked punts: he’s in a nine way tie for 2nd place with ONLY ONE blocked punt (I thought it was more as well as others, so it’s Capped because I was surprised, memories and perceptions are Not always accurate). (PHI had 2 blocked, the rest had zero. Scott H., that should be sweet to bring up in office conversation. Hehe.)

The measurement I think is most important, net avg yards, because this tells me how well a punter helped his fellow special teamers seal the deal.

Net AVG yards: again using 50 punts or more as the cut-off, Drew was 32nd with a net avg yards of 35.4 yards. (The best, STL at 43.7, but he did have the most practice.)

So by my reckoning, STL had the best punter last season and whether it’s Butler improving or another punter signing, our Cardinals could use an upgrade at this position.

The sweet part, Keim AND Arians both addressed the need and desire and commitment to improve our special teams in this draft.

14. By Crow on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

Okezie alozie would be a good fit in AZ….. big hitter could be another d. buchannon from buffalo

15. By harrdrain on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

Just coming through yet again to say we should snag Nick Foles.:/ Seems to me teams have given up on him. Most say 2013 was a fluke but i dont see it that way. How does a qb go from 27/2 to 7/10 in two years? Arians can change him and we can get him for dirt cheap.

16. By Canadian Redbird on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

Rumor has it that the Cards are looking at the punter Hackett from Utah. Can only hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. By dan on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

Pretty happy with draft………we need a stud punter……I would have drafted one.

18. By Billy on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

Thanks for all the awesome picks. Glad we have another center to work with. Wish we could have plucked Kevin Hogan off. I’m excited about this next season. It would be good to get an understudy that Palmer could take under his guidance. And please practice tempo, tempo, tempo! Get that defense tuned at the same time. And yes, the front office rocks!

19. By jerrytown on Apr 30, 2016 | Reply

To address the Scooby thing…he is slightly undersized and ran a 4.9 in the 40. For reference, Nkemdiche ran a 4.85 at 300 pounds (which is insane). That’s why he fell, but the injury didn’t help.

I would have loved a 7th rounder this year just to take Tom Hackett. Dude was the best punter in college football, back to back Ray Guy awards to prove it. But somehow he went undrafted, and then signed with the Jets…who drafted a punter. We added a guy from Fresno St. Hoping he beats Butler. Not sure what the Cards see in him other than he was healthy when Zastudil was not.

20. By Garth Short on May 1, 2016 | Reply

While I like the Draft, I think we have to sign a vet CB. Can’t expect to go into the season with only two CB’s, one unproven, and hope that a couple of rookies can play. Is Branch a CB? I’m guessing that we’ll resign Powers.

21. By Marlin on May 1, 2016 | Reply

Like our draft. One thing nobody seem to be mentioning as a need… OT depth. Behind Veldheer and Humphries we don’t have much. Maybe Watford, maybe practice squad guys. Seems like we need to sign a veteran there……..just in case. Agreed?

22. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2016 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Tackle

They drafted Toner, like Crisp. Plus Watford has played there. Will they sign someone? Maybe. But I think they are OK with what they have if they stand pat.

23. By clssylssy on May 1, 2016 | Reply

I thought we had a good draft…we got most of what we needed w/o giving up our souls and fortified both the defense and the O-line which was critical to a win now team, as well as ourt future…it wasn’t glitzy but it was functional so I would give us a B. I was pleased with our Center who is a mauler (exwrestler) ,intelligent, and can also play guard so, it looks like Carson will be protected. I loved the focus on defense and will go with any endorsement from Adrian Wilson. I’m quite confident tha SK has ideas about realacquiring our future QB & so am not sweating that yet today. Seattle had a great draft and some of our competitors just got a whole lot better so now is when the excitement starts.
    I thought the commentators were TERRIBLE and seemed to think the show was about them…they talked over teams picking which was annoying to say the least but undermining the focus of the show!

24. By faster on May 1, 2016 | Reply

i like this picture, they look as if they just got caught with stealing draft pics.

and i like the late pics, especially williams MVP.

as for nkemdiche, i don`t know, he could be the best defensive rookie this season, and then we will see, if he developes into honeybadger II or washout II.

25. By joe 67 on May 1, 2016 | Reply

We need a long snapper, no doubt. What about Sendlein. If can do it well, we would have a long snapper and also someone who could back-up Center in case of emergency and help the young guy as well. Makes sense to me if he can do the long snaps.
    Any thoughts??

26. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2016 | Reply

Joe67 —

RE: Sendlein

I think Lyle’s time here is over.

27. By truths4all on May 1, 2016 | Reply

Todd Bowles and the Jets may have made the boldest pick to grab Hackenberg who has the biggest potential to be a legit starting NFL QB.

Sure his last years at NCAA penalty sanctioned and depleted Penn State was bad due to an horrible and inadequate offensive line (the coaches had to play defensive linemen on the offensive line due the lack of real offensive linemen recruits), lack of a running attack, the lack of knowledge by the coaches as how to continue to use and coach the Patriots’ offensive passing system, the lack of offensive line and receiver talent to execute the Patriots’ passing attack, and being sacked over 100 times.

During Hackenberg’s freshman year when there wae still senior offensive line and receiving talent, Hackenberg excelled executing the Patriots’ passing attack in O’Brien’s one year ago here as head coach.

If the Jets and QB guru Chan Gailey can get Hackenberg back on his previous developmental track and help him overcome the damage and bad habits from the past 2 years, Hackenberg has a great chance to be a Tom Brady clone (as he showed during his award winning freshman season) instead of a Ryan Lindley (who has proved to be an excellent college QB coach) clone.

We will see if this was a bold draft pick in a couple of years, unless Hackenberg pulls a Russell Wilson miracle later this year during the Jets training camp.

28. By Crow on May 1, 2016 | Reply

I think a good fit for arizona would be Okezie alozie….. was listed in the buffalo university program as an olb but played SS….. would be a good fit!

29. By Richard S on May 1, 2016 | Reply

I can’t wait for the free agent signings to be announced so I can go back and watch all the all star games that I’ve taped. The roster numbers are on the internet. I saw Harlan, Marquis and the OT from Harvard are listed on the rosters. Hopefully we’ll also get a QB that was overlooked like Warner or went late in the draft like Brady.

30. By Big Ken on May 1, 2016 | Reply

Read the tea leaves! Yes a little quirky but I’m see a pattern. We don’t have A-Dub on the field but lets give him a chance. Coker as a UFDA? Hum

31. By clssylssy on May 1, 2016 | Reply

Now that SK is signing again to fill out the roster, I’m really keeping my hopes up that he’ll be able to bring back Dwight Freeney to help our young pass rush see what needs to be done to get to the next level and even go all the way. We have a great group of guys w some of the best veterans in the league to learn from and I love scouting internship program that seems to be paying off already. Great Job!

32. By Richard S on May 1, 2016 | Reply

free agent tracker

33. By Scott H on May 1, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

RE: The commentators

You got it – most of them DO believe THEY are the show. Most of them DO believe their opinions are more important than they will ever be. To most of them, it’s not about what is happening on the field, during the draft, or anywhere else. It is about THEIR opinions and what THEY think you should think. Which basically means they think we aren’t smart enough to have intelligent opinions of our own. So, THEY have to shape our opinions for us.

Too many of the guys on these draft shows, pre-game shows, post game shows, the Top 100 shows, etc seem to operate according to the principal that as long as they are talking, they are saying something important and / or enlightening. And the fact is, they rarely accomplish either one.

34. By CARDS62 on May 1, 2016 | Reply

Would like to hear from our draft experts on how they think we did in the draft plus on why a kid like Jeremy Cash does not get drafted out of Duke. All American Safety signed with Carolina as a free agent. Wish we could have brought him to camp along with the punter Hackett from Utah, but Jets do not have a punter so he and their 7th rounder will battle for the job, both a couple of Aussies, so maybe we bring the loser of that battle in for a look late in the preseason.

I think we have a great roster and will enjoy another fine season as long as we stay healthy especially Carson.I really like our 1st,2nd – Chandler Jones, and our 4th round draft picks, the others I just do not know enough about but like that they are good on special teams so hopefully some Cardinal fans will have info for us.

Just would like to see us resign Powers and Freeney now and I will rest easy.

Go Cards looking forward to opening day!

35. By hminus on May 1, 2016 | Reply

Think it was a foolish oversight not to get Hackett…he should have been our 6th…

36. By Richard S on May 1, 2016 | Reply

Here’s the internet skinny on the undrafted free agent signings:
    Amir Carlisle, WR, Notre Dame, 5’10” 185 24 yrs. old ran the 40 yd. dash in the 4.3’s.
    Jake Coker, QB, Alabama, 6’6″ 236, Natl. Champ 3110 yds. either 21 or 22 TDs. and 8 int. 67% completion percentage
    Clay Deborg T, Eastern Washington, 6’6″ 305, 4 yrs. starter
    Daniel Dillon, Long Snapper, Campbell, 6’2″ 245, (Mike Leach was 6’2″ and 235), High School ran the hurdles, EMT, Hardest college class Biochem, Reads the bible before games
    Matthias Farley, S, Notre Dame, 5’11” 205 when I put his name in the NFL draft tracker site, I got Chris Farley
    Trevon Hartfield, DB Southwest Okla State, 6’2″ 195, High school all state in 3 sports, basketball, track and football. Kick returner
    Chris Hubert, WR Fayetteville State 5’9″ 170 Kickoff returner also, hardest college class Calculus
    Chris King WR, Duquesne, 6’1″ 200,
    Lamar Lewis, LB, LSU 5’11, 232
    Garret Swanson P/ Fresno State 6’0″ 219, also place holder and kickoff man. Rated 33 out of 57 punters. Avg. 42.2 yards, long 63 yards.

37. By Big Ken on May 1, 2016 | Reply

Thanks for the post Richard S.

38. By Pat on May 1, 2016 | Reply

I too thought Kevin Hogan would be a great pickup as the future starter. Maybe we could offer the Chiefs a trade????

39. By Mr. Know it All on May 2, 2016 | Reply

With the league rule change to make all chop/cut blocks illegal, look for
    an increase in Qb sacks and pressure. No more finesse OL play.
    Blocking by smaller RB’s will be more difficult.

Cards brought in one ILB from LSU. I know DBuck has made his
    case but there needs to be more competition at the other ILB
    spot. Maybe GMart will make the jump. Fua got on the field.
    ShaqR has to make a splash at OLB.

StepR “Floriva”Udfa QB can through deep. He should have a chip
    on his shoulder. Has to prove it now.

Udfa CB Bouka out of Univ of Calgary could be
    a great find.

It’s all about “Win now baby!!!!!!

40. By clssylssy on May 2, 2016 | Reply

I see we signed Jake Coker QB from Bama. I like this, not spending picks in any “Iffy” project but getting a guy with great potential who BA/Tom Moore can mold into something special! Hope he works out to be as good as the Cards other Jake!!! I knew Keim had a plan for QB🎉🏈😀

41. By Dr. G. on May 2, 2016 | Reply

Well, when we think we picked a high risk – high reward player, it would be unique to test the Nkemdiche work ethic with some Special Teams Defense work..!

Weird, I know for a guy this size, but I know if we stay in our lanes, which area the returner will not try to get through…just for pre-season. We need him to prove his mettle for our 1st pick…boot camp work. He will be better for the work….

42. By Kevin S Mesa on May 2, 2016 | Reply

Romo, Warner and Brady notwithstanding, the odds that an undrafted or late-round QB makes any impact are very small. The idea that all these teams desperately in need of a QB passed over guys like Hogan until late in the 5th round and Coker altogether, but that they would be a “great pickup as the future starter” (Pat’s comment above on Hogan) or someone who “BA/Tom Moore can mold into something special” (clssylssy’s comment above on Coker) are very small.

Coker is probably just a training camp arm. Maybe he sticks as the 3rd guy, but I doubt it. The pundits aren’t always right, but when a guy doesn’t even crack the top 10 QB’s in a given year’s draft rankings by most of the pundits, it’s pretty unlikely that he’s your future starter.

43. By Scott H on May 2, 2016 | Reply

For what it’s worth, I tuned into NFL Network yesterday ( briefly….that’s about all I can stand of that channel these days ) and happened to catch a panel discussion just as they were getting ready to pick who they thought were the biggest winners in this year’s draft. Brian Baldinger was on the panel and they went to him first. And he went directly to the Arizona Cardinals for the very reason that he saw them doing a great job of addressing their biggest needs as effectively as they did. Add in the trade for Chandler Jones and the talent they already have, and he just seemed very psyched about how the Cardinals are looking right now. Yeah, it was easy to love “Baldy” at that moment, but….really, his take on the Cardinals and the job they did in the draft was nothing short of RIGHT ON.

So…there ya go.

Now, if we could just get our first round pick from LAST year on the damn field….seriously, Humphries needs to start showing something that justifies where he was taken last year on draft day.

44. By Mr. Know it All on May 2, 2016 | Reply

Hey DUrban,

Was it misinformation that Stephen Rivers QB will be at
    Cardinals Udfa camp?

45. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2016 | Reply

Mr. Know —

RE: Rivers

He might be there on a tryout basis but he has not been signed.

46. By steve on May 2, 2016 | Reply

Darren: Were you surprised the Cards did not draft an edge rusher at OLB?

47. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Edge rusher

No, not after they traded for Chandler Jones.

48. By Canadian Redbird on May 2, 2016 | Reply

Huge mistake not bringing in a quality punter to compete with Butler who gives up yardage on every change of possession. Statistics don’t lie. There was ample opportunity to solidify a position of weakness.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2016 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Punter

They did bring in a punter. Garrett Swanson.

50. By sbrown on May 2, 2016 | Reply

Hi Darren –

questions about the six draft picks and the undrafted college free agents.

the Cards had 73 on the roster before the draft, then sign 16 undrafted free agents and if I add the first round pick, that gets to 90 on the roster.

question, does first round picks automatically count on roster, before they sign ?

question, as soon as any of the other five draft picks sign, then the team has to cut a player to make room on the 90 man roster, right ?

51. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2016 | Reply

sbrown —

RE: Roster

Until the UDFAs sign this week, they don’t technically count. The draft picks do, signed or not. So the Cards have a couple of days to make a few cuts.

52. By jerrytown on May 3, 2016 | Reply

In regards to an edge rusher, I was interested in Tyrone Holmes from Montana. He was there for our 5th round picks but got selected shortly after…don’t remember who snagged him. Jags maybe? But keep an eye out for this kid, his stats and measurables were off the charts.

53. By Dr. G. on May 3, 2016 | Reply

Well, got my hopes up for 3 minutes on Jake Coker…when his Coach Saban says he may have a chance to be a back-up QB….so no future there unless there’s a miracle. So just another much needed camp arm…

2017 now is a must year for the QB acquisition…gonna do some homework this Fall when NCAA kicks off…later Cards Fans… ((prayin’ Palmer stays healthy))

54. By clssylssy on May 3, 2016 | Reply

None of the QBs in this class seemed worth giving up picks for unless your team was desperate, which some were so why all the skepticism about Coker who has backed up EJ Emanual,
    Winston, was the Cotton Bowl MVP, led his team to a NCAA National Championship, was coached by one of the most successful coaches in the SEC and who BA stated he was excited to have? If you watched the NCAA Championship, it was better than the Super Bowl and this is a player who cost us nothing in draft picks! So, if he doesn’t work out , no harm,no foul…seems like only an upside. Mike Mayock described Paxton Lynch as reminding him of John Skelton with only slightly better accuracy. At least Coker has played in a huddle, is athletic, and can be a scrambler?? Soundings interesting to me and BA/Tom Moore haven’t earned the moniker of “QB whisperer” for nothing!

55. By fousto on May 7, 2016 | Reply

I say trade stanton and get foles – hope coker makes it and ship barkley to the rams.