That time Roy Green wanted a raise

Posted by Darren Urban on May 11, 2016 – 5:31 pm

Roy Green’s press conference today as it was announced he was headed into the Cardinals’ Ring of Honor stretched to 30 minutes as Green told stories about his time with the Cardinals, about his famous catch to beat the powerful 49ers at Sun Devil Stadium in the team’s first season in Arizona, about ex-teammates like Stump Mitchell and Ron Wolfley, about the Cards’ killer loss to the Redskins to end 1984, about towel-whipping then-Cardinals ballboy Michael Bidwill when Bidwill was a teenager working training camp.

(Green, with Bidwill laughing beside him, joked he would have treated Michael better had he known he’d eventually run the team.)

But at one point, Green told a story about a contract negotiation with Bidwill’s father, Bill. At the time, Green was serving as his own agent. And he decided — in the era before modern free agency — it might be time to play out his option and improve his contract status following the 1989 season.

“I told Mr. B I wanted to talk to him,” Green remembered. “He was like, ‘Yeah, come on in.’ He asked, ‘What’s going on?’ I said, ‘You know what, Mr. B? I’m looking for a raise, actually. I think that I’ve played well, blah, blah, blah.’ He looks at me and says, ‘Roy, you’re overpaid right now.’

“I wanted to laugh at that very moment but I had to keep my lawyer’s face on. I’m negotiating. In a few minutes after I got out of the office, I was dying. I couldn’t wait to go tell the guys what he had told me.”

MrBblogGreenUSE

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “That time Roy Green wanted a raise”

1. By Scott H on May 11, 2016 | Reply

Well, as I stated elsewhere very recently, we have come a long way from the dark days of the past. Glad Roy still has fond memories and lots of love for his former team.

Jet Stream has always been a favorite of mine ( I have beautiful Roy Green jersey that I got in the 80’s and it STILL looks brand new ! ) and I’d say his induction into the ring is as right on as it may be over-due! Man, what a player he was. Such a shame he was a shining star on so many bad teams.

So sad to see guys like him come and go without a ring. Then, to see guys like Aeneas Williams leave the Cardinals to take shot at a ring with another team. And now there is Fitz…..good lord, please don’t let this trend continue.

2. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 11, 2016 | Reply

One of my all-time favorites and one of the few triple threats the game has seen. Congrats Roy! #81

3. By georgiebird on May 11, 2016 | Reply

Great, great player was Roy Green. Best player in football in 1984 according to John Madden and Bill Parcells. He doesn’t have the stats but he beat all the cornerbacks of his day. He should have been in the Ring of Honor a long time ago.

4. By Michael Wineland on May 12, 2016 | Reply

If Roy Green hadn’t suffered from turf toe he would have been a sure Hall of Famer. I still think he sould be in there. He was the most dangerous receiver in the NFL for several seasons.

5. By John The Draft Guy on May 12, 2016 | Reply

This story just reminds me how tough it was to be a cards fan before Michael Bidwill started running things.

Bill Bidwill was just a horrible owner and every card fan knew it. These fans who have come around the last 10 years have no idea how poorly run this team was.

This story shows how far the cards have changed. The cards top receiver, Roy Green, in his 11th year, wanted a raise and was told he was overpaid as it was. He finished his career in Philly.

Larry Fitzgerald in his 11th year, was at a place where he might get traded or released and Michael Bidwill has him over for dinner and gets a deal done for him.

Thank God, Bill let Michael run things.

6. By Scott H on May 12, 2016 | Reply

JTDG –

Thank God Bill had sons! It took awhile, but that is clearly the best thing he ever did for this organization.

Does Michael have sons ( or daughters! ) yet??? We need to make sure the future is secure….

7. By CARDS62 on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Roy Green definitely should be in our ring of honor. My third favorite receiver behind Fitz and Mel Gray – a 6th round pick.

Steve Keim would have loved Roy Green, a CB out of Henderson State. Anyone ever heard of that college? We tried all world Patrick Peterson at WR and he did next to nothing. Roy Green played CB in 1980 & 1981 and part time WR in 1981 and caught 33 passes for 708 yards.

I never heard the story of which Cardinal coach decided to try Roy Green at WR, but that coach made a great decision during our dark years.

My favorite Roy Green story during those years is that he was married and his wife was an excellent cook so they would have our single QB Neil Lomax over for dinner. Roy’s thinking was I will feed Neil now and on Sunday Neil will be feeding me footballs.Steve Keim would have also loved Neil Lomax – Portland State.

JTDG – I hear you about those dark years as I would not even say Bill Bidwill;s name, as he was just the man in the bow tie that I hated. Coach after coach, player after player, Terry Metcalf our star running back in the 70s was the first and to my knowledge the only established NFL star to leave the NFL to go play in the Canadian Football League in his prime.Very hard times for Cardinal Fans.

So lets all enjoy these golden years and I truly believe Bill Bidwill as I can say his name now really wants our team and of course his team to win the Super Bowl and I believe his son Michael wants nothing more than to accept and present the Lombardi Trophy to his dad and to all of Cardinal Nation.

Go Cards!

8. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 13, 2016 | Reply

Darren –

Great highlight video/interview of Roy! Nice too to see Pat Tilley, Jim Hart and Neil Lomax in the highlights.

9. By Scott H on May 13, 2016 | Reply

Cards62 –

This blog and your post made me reflect on some of the great WR duos we have had over the years, such as –

Mel Gray & JV Cain
    Roy Green and JT Smith
    Rob Moore and Frank Sanders
    Fitz and Boldin

I have to say, I would have to go with Fitz and Boldin as the best overall. Then again, with Warner during 2007-2008, they probably had the best QB throwing to them. Although Lomax was a damn good QB, too. What say you?

Of the guys mentioned above, Sanders stands out as a a guy who maybe didn’t get the recognition he deserved. I LOVED that guy. He was Mr First Down Catches when he played for the Cardinals. I think he may have led the league in catches for a first down for a few years ( or, at least one ). Darren, can you confirm that?

10. By Darren Urban on May 13, 2016 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Sanders

I’d have to look things up, but for a few years there, Sanders was Mr. Reliable working with Rob Moore (injuries) and David Boston (everything else).

11. By Scott H on May 14, 2016 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks. I am pretty sure I remember Sanders leading the NFL in catches for a first down at least once. I wouldn’t name him right now, with the team being as loaded at WR as they are, but….there were so many times in the past that if I could have brought back any five players from out past, Frank Sanders would probably have always been one of them.

Geez….I kinda forgot about Boston. How many years was he actually here for?? I know it wasn’t long. Mr Steroids. Man, what a waste.