Freeney waits, for Cardinals, for “anywhere”

Posted by Darren Urban on May 12, 2016 – 7:35 am

Appearing on ESPN’s “SportsCenter” today, free agent pass rusher Dwight Freeney said he definitely wants to play this season. Nothing is imminent in terms of signing — with any franchise — although the veteran made clear “Arizona would be a great team.”

“But if it doesn’t work out here, it could be anywhere,”  said Freeney, who is in Arizona right now. “It just depends. It has to be a winning team. I’m used to winning.”

Freeney was highly complementary of the Cardinals, raving about their chances to contend even without being on the roster. He said he has had “some interest” on the market, but acknowledged that at this point, it’s wait-and-see for most teams.

“The thing is, when you are when you are as old as me … those teams want to figure out what they want to do,” Freeney said. “They have their young guys, they have their draft picks, so an older guy like me who’s been playing for a while, you know what, they want to take their time and that’s OK. I don’t mind.”

In the meantime, the 36-year-old — who led the Cardinals with eight sacks last season despite playing just 11 games after signing late — said he will stay focused and keep training. Interestingly, he did add that he doesn’t really want to do what he did last season and sign in-season. He’d rather be there for training camp.

“I know my body loved (signing late), but the anxiety mentally wasn’t good,” Freeney said. “So hopefully I can get signed before then.”

FreeneyUpdate

Tags:

43 Responses to “Freeney waits, for Cardinals, for “anywhere””

1. By BrettColorado on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Why not bring him back?! If the motor is still running, he has the passion and will to play and possible great teacher

2. By danafrancis on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Keim has said repeatedly that the Cards can never have too many pass rushers, so I hope we bring him back. Concerns obviously include salary and whether there will be a space for him now that Jones and Nkemdiche are there, but we also know how devastatingly common injuries are. To have that depth, as well as Freeney’s veteran presence, is priceless. Also, eight sacks in eleven games? That’s pretty dang good!

3. By Alon Costin on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Cowboys need to go get him! His respectable veteran presence with all the young and impressionable players would go a long way to solidify our shaky defence.

4. By Juan Gavilan on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Dwight is been one of the premier past rushers in this league for as long as I can remember and he prove last year that he can still contribute, so I say why not, if the cardinals won’t sign him maybe my NY Giants should, that’s my sincere opinion

5. By intengen356 on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Go to the seahawks! We need 10 more sacks!

6. By clssylssy on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Freeney was critical to the Cards’ success last season and I am really hoping to see him on the 53 this season. I am as hyped about our new pass rush as anyone but also recognize the importance of starting strong w/o sacrificing anything to the learning curve that is a reality or injuries that can occur in training camp or preseason; I like insurance! Additionally, Freeney brings the kind of veteran leadership we can use w our new players who some fans & critics have questions about. I think he wants to play for the Cards but fear another team will recognize what he brought to the Cards and snatch him up while Keim is “thinking things over”.
    Like Fitz, Freeney is a special breed of player that seems to becoming obsolete in the NFL, having toughness, character,amazing skill and class. We need such players to set the bar for the future.

7. By afrowealthservices on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Dear Mr Freeney,Please bring your spin move and wisdom to The Raiders.Help teach the new youth of D/E how to dominant that position. Mack with Freeney spin move is just deadly.We need pressure from the end.You specialize in pressure on 3rd downs. Get of the field.Let’s go!

8. By Scott H on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Let’s get this man ( and everyone else on the roster ) a ring! If he has one more good season in him, let’s let him have it here. And I’m sure he has one more good season in him.

I could see Seattle being interested in him as well, ya know? But I say hell no to that. If he’s gonna be in the NFC West, let’s keep him here.

9. By Don on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Surprised he would want to deal with training camp but I hope we can get him. Anyone know how the cap works with a player like Freeny where majority of his pay is incentive driven?

10. By Chris on May 12, 2016 | Reply

I really hope we can sign Freeny again. His presence on the roster may not be an absolute necessity, but it sure would be the icing on the cake for the team’s pass rush.

11. By Dr H on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Dwight single handedly won us a couple of games for us (i.e. Vikings) last season and he’s still a play maker. Bring him back!!

12. By John The Draft Guy on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Holy Crap, we have a lot of other teams fans on our boards.

raiders, cowboys, giants, seahawks ???? WTH.

I guess I have never had the urge to look on any of these other teams boards and see what their fans are talking about. Who cares what they are saying?

I guess I could talk to raider fans about how they will like being the Vegas raiders?

Or maybe I could talk to cowboys fans about their two playoff wins in the last 20 years? I always like their fans saying we have superbowls, yet they were too young to every see them do it. My daughter is 19 and she has never seen the cowboys winning anything.

I could talk to giant fans about how ownership made a two time super bowl winning coach the fall guy, by firing him and keeping everyone else in place. Classy.

Or my favorite, I could talk to seahawks fans who stole a 100 yr old great tradition of the 12th man from Texas A&M. Why not just take it another step and plant hedges around the field, call the stadium Death Valley and start signing “Hail to the seahawks”

13. By D on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Great guy, not the most pressing need to spend the very few free agent $ that this team currently has this summer. Unless the Cards have major pass rush injuries in OTS or Camp, I wouldn’t see them bringing DF back. I think the position to watch for players to be released and possible signing this summer for Mr. Keim will be an experience swing OT.

If the Cards want to go to the SB, two players on offense they can’t afford to lose, C. Palmer and J. Veldheer.

14. By Big Ken on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Exactly a no brainer. Sign and let him sit out camp with a bogus injury. He’s lock and load, come on SK!

15. By shane on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Defiantly would like him back .. injurys are bound to happen and you cant have enough pass rushers . But i think i get why the cards haven’t resigned him yet .. the cards are obviously checking out there younger guys, Like a shaq riddick whos a long 6-6 long pash rushing type of player that basically got red shirted last year like D.J did… I think there want to see if guys like him are making progress, because he really impressed me in that last Denver preason game last year.

16. By wyocardfan on May 12, 2016 | Reply

If Freeney wants a ring this year he should sign with the Cards!

17. By Chris on May 12, 2016 | Reply

They likely wait until the season starts if they cannot get a contract worked out that is agreeable to both sides prior to that. Non guaranteed once season starts. Also more pressing needs in regards to Badger extension, what to do with Calais, Jones looming extension/franchise tag. If someone goes down between now and in camp, he comes quick. If not- they wait.

18. By Scott H on May 12, 2016 | Reply

I think if other teams know he wants to play this year….there is NO WAY he is still un-signed come Week 1. It amazes me that people think we can wait on this, sign him whenever WE want because he has nowhere else to go. I do NOT see him being available to sign during the season ( unless he has no offers from “winning” teams and is truly holding out for a contender ).

But HE himself is saying he wants to be in camp this year, so….another reason I don’t see him being available after the season starts.

19. By dkerry5242 on May 12, 2016 | Reply

Get Freeney signed…what the heck have we got to lose.

20. By Andy Kw on May 12, 2016 | Reply

At this point I can’t see CB Jerraud Powers returning to the Cardinals. Brandon Williams is a lock and 6th Rd Pick CB Harlan Miller and UDFA CB Elie Bouka bring more size to the position. Both were very productive in college and has caught the attention of Bruce Arians.

As for OLB, Dwight Freeney has to return. Chandler Jones will be the starter on the right side with Alex Okafor as a backup. Markus Golden is the starter on the left side with Dwight Freeney as the situational backup to him.

Here is my prediction on the 53 man roster:

QB(3): Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton, Jake Coker*
    RB(4): David Johnson, Chris Johnson, Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylor
    WR(5): Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, John Brown, Jaron Brown, JJ Nelson
    TE(4): Jermaine Gresham, Darren Fells, Troy Niklas, Ifeanyi Momah
    OL(9): Jared Veldheer, Mike Iupati, Evan Mathis, DJ Humphries, AQ Shipley, Earl Watford, Evan Boehm, Cole Toner, (Khalif Barnes)

DL(7): Calais Campbell, Corey Peters, Rodney Gunter, Frostee Rucker, Robert Nkemdiche, Ed Stinson, Josh Mauro
    ILB(3): Deone Bucannon, Kevin Minter, Alani Fua
    OLB(6): Chandler Jones, Markus Golden, Alex Okafor, Tristian Okpalaugo, Shaq Riddick, (Dwight Freeney)
    CB(4): Patrick Peterson, Justin Bethel, Brandon Williams, Harlan Miller
    S(5): Tyrann Mathieu, Tony Jefferson, Tyvon Branch, DJ Swearinger, Marqui Christian

ST(3): K Chandler Catanzaro, P Garrett Swanson*, LS Kameron Canaday*

Players that will remain on the radar: RB Kerwynn Williams, WR Brittan Golden (not sure if they are PS eligible anymore)

Practice Squad: WR Amir Carlisle, TE Gerald Christian, OT Rob Crisp, OG Antoine McClain, NT Xavier Williams, OLB Kareem Martin, ILB Gabe Martin, CB Elie Bouka

21. By Jason on May 13, 2016 | Reply

I want Freeney back! In rotation with Golden and Jones? NIGHTMARE! Better than Okafor..

22. By Eric G on May 13, 2016 | Reply

i think the only hold up with bringing him back is the salary cap situation and the Cards need to address re-signing younger players. Hope beyond all hope that he comes back to the Cards, but would understand if he went somewhere else with a good offer.

23. By Andy Kw on May 13, 2016 | Reply

Raiders, Browns, Seahawks? Why are these fans here? Freeney would never join the Raiders or Browns. Seahawks are a winning team but I think we all know they like younger players. Freeney is destined to be a Cardinal again. Kareem Martin has been a disappointment so far and the Cardinals are still looking at Tristan Okpalaugo & 2015 5th Rd pick Shaq Riddick. Okpalaugo was probably the best pass rusher in the CFL last season and Arians is intrigued by Riddick’s athleticism. But Freeney brings leadership. A guy who can help Chandler Jones transition from DE to OLB and possibly gives him more pointers in developing his already superb pass rush ability. Freeney can also mentor Golden, Okafor, Okpalaugo, Martin, and Riddick again. Freeney deserves a 2yr contract.

24. By Scott H on May 13, 2016 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Why are Browns fans here?

Shoot, wouldn’t you want to be somewhere else, too, if YOU were a Browns fan??? I sure would!

25. By David Camacho on May 13, 2016 | Reply

Why not? Eight sacks in eleven games, probably would have had 12 in a full season. Keim is a master at signing good talent with minimal contracts that are complimented with incentives. It works for both sides. The dude has proven he can still play at a high level. His veteran leadership and passion make him a great fit for this organization in the locker and on the field. Please sign him!

26. By Scott H on May 13, 2016 | Reply

We could sign him late on a Sat night and he would get us a sack on Sunday! Believe it.

27. By intengen356 on May 13, 2016 | Reply

Nothing matters what team you root for if you’re a fan of football you follow all the teams especially the teams in your Division I look at all the boards I look at everything and everyone who cares that I root for the Seahawks I sincerely don’t care that you root for the Cardinals. Football is fun to talk about I think that it’s hilarious how people jag each other on here but,hey, that’s part of the fun of competition. Apologies I didn’t realize you own this board!

28. By Matt11 on May 13, 2016 | Reply

If Freeney come back to the cardinals for another year, Our defense will be 2 Times better than Last Year!

29. By Tyler M on May 14, 2016 | Reply

WE would be DUMB not to sign him he helped us win games and got sacks at all the right times. if they dont have room on the 53 then they need to MAKE ROOM on the 53, before someone like seattle or LA get him, then it will be palmer he will be coming after.

30. By Bill on May 14, 2016 | Reply

Dudes a pimp. Sign him Steve.

31. By Jim McIntyre on May 15, 2016 | Reply

Cardinals front office and coaching staff, please, please re-sign Dwight Freeney! With Chandler Jones on one side and Freeney on the other in passing situations, this could be the tandem that takes us all the way to the Super Bowl this year. Please make this happen! It’s the way Denver won and pass rushers like Freeney and Jones don’t come around very often. Take advantage of it!

32. By faster on May 16, 2016 | Reply

sorry, to disagree, but signing freeney now would take a much needed spot away to evaluate a roocky during camp.

don`t get me wrong, i want freeney at the team as much as any of you, but he will have to wait until the season starts.

33. By John S. on May 16, 2016 | Reply

C’mon Cards, make room and sign Freeny for another year… you know you want to! He will make our defense just that much more scary than last year, help our number one pick learn the ropes, and be awesome in the rotation with Jones on board now. As a fan, he is exciting to watch, gets it done, and he wants to be here… all I see are positives, so let’s just cut to the chase and do it!
    You won’t regret it…

2. May 12, 2016: Cardinals Free Agent Dwight Freeney Still Wants To Play - TPS
  3. May 12, 2016: Dwight Freeney: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Free-Agent DE | Sporty
  4. May 12, 2016: Dwight Freeney wants to return to Cardinals, willing to play 'anywhere' - Sports Reactors
  5. May 12, 2016: Dwight Freeney willing to go 'anywhere' to play 15th NFL season - Sports Reactors
  6. May 12, 2016: Dwight Freeney willing to go 'anywhere' to play 15th NFL season | news-a1.com
  7. May 12, 2016: Dwight Freeney willing to go 'anywhere' to play 15th NFL season - Unheard Expressions
  8. May 12, 2016: Dwight Freeney wants to return to Cardinals, willing to play ‘anywhere’ | The Draft Duel Cast
  9. May 12, 2016: Could Dwight Freeney Make a Colts Comeback?
  10. May 13, 2016: Dwight Freeney wants to keep playing; should the Colts be interested?
  11. May 25, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Freeney’s visits and the roster wait