Possible practice in San Diego for Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on May 17, 2016 – 10:51 am

The Cardinals play in San Diego on Aug. 19 (a Friday) for their second preseason game. There’s a chance they will be in California a little longer than that. Coach Bruce Arians said today after the team’s first organized team activity of the offseason that the Cards are in discussions with the Chargers to practice in San Diego for the week of training camp leading into the game between the teams.

In the past, Arians has made it no secret he likes the idea of some camp work against another team. He said during camp last year the Cardinals had looked into the idea to no avail. We’ll see if it works out this year, but the Cards — who open the preseason Aug. 12 at home against Oakland — do have at least one day that week in between where they won’t be able to use University of Phoenix Stadium for practice. The band Guns N’ Roses have a concert in the building Aug. 15, which is that Monday.

The Cardinals have practiced in San Diego during camp before. That came way back in 2000, when Jake Plummer was behind center and Vince Tobin was coach.

— Arians also said the tempo was excellent for the first OTA. The Cardinals were off the field about 20 minutes ahead of schedule.

AriansSanDiegoUSE

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “Possible practice in San Diego for Cardinals”

1. By Scott H on May 17, 2016 | Reply

Wow….Vince Tobin and Jake the Snake….takes me back! We didn’t get everything out of those years I’d hoped we would, but….they were still fun. I remember the day the Jake Plummer era started, in Philly. He came into the game with the Cardinals on their own 2 yard line and proceeded to lead a 98-yard TD drive that was pretty ugly but at the same time absolutely beautiful! The kid looked like a leader already, motioning to the sidelines to speed up the play calls. As a footnote, that TD drive was the longest TD drive of the 1998 NFL season.

And that playoff win against the Cowboys IN DALLAS after they smoked us 2X that season….magical. I have that game on VHS and I still love to watch it.

I’m sorry, what were we talking about??

2. By Grandpa Black on May 17, 2016 | Reply

Scott H.

I remember Larry Centers saying, “I am very proud of my team”.

3. By Pamela Jones on May 17, 2016 | Reply

Many people residing in this lovely state will be distaughtt over the Cardinals going to San Diego for practice..The Cards should be practicing in Flagstaff. This is where they belong

4. By Big Ken on May 17, 2016 | Reply

Guns N’ Roses? Are they still a band? Alive?

5. By DTL on May 17, 2016 | Reply

“There’s not much explaining to it,” Palmer said. “You can’t win the big game until you win it.”

Just want to write, even if never read, this is why I love this guy, this team. No excuses, humility, no self-aggrandizement…just one thing, win it.

Truth (in my estimation).Palmer had a crappy game in Carolina, but his finger hurt his performance, even if a healthy hand might not have been enuff…it could have been…just sayin, this is going to be another season for the record books.

6. By jakeplummersghost on May 17, 2016 | Reply

Grandpa Black, where have you been all these years? I remember you from the azcardinals.com forums circa 2004 or so!

7. By D on May 18, 2016 | Reply

What’s the latest Vegas odds that Axl and the boys will still be a band come 8-15

8. By William Barry on May 19, 2016 | Reply

To Scott H….

I have the Cowboys/Jake Plummer game on VHS…Omg!!!!…I can’t believe you still have it….If I remember right, Jake Plummer pulled off the 25-24 win over Philly….I did see Jake Plummer at University of Phoenix Stadium, about 2 years ago, On Fox, ringing the bell….He looked Great!!!!!, William

9. By Dr. G. on May 19, 2016 | Reply

The time away can be good, esp. for the rooks to get some feel of the big show.

Scott… Yes, that Dallas game was sweet in their dome. You may remember I have 2 favorite teams, the CARDS, and whoever is playing the cowboys…! That stadium hated visitors, period…they can’t believe you are there…

2. May 17, 2016: Possible practice in San Diego for Cardinals - AZCardinals.com (blog) - San Diego, Ca.
  3. May 23, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Chargers confirm Cardinals’ San Diego practice