Late signings on Keim radar

Posted by Darren Urban on June 9, 2016 – 11:38 am

The Cardinals are done for the offseason. The football side of the building is on vacation until late July, getting a chance to recharge before the season starts in earnest. So roster moves are unlikely for a while.

But then comes training camp, and a time when General Manager Steve Keim likes to shop in the bargain bin for veterans who can help.

“I’m going to continue to stay active,” Keim said during an appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7. “If there is a player out there — and we have monitored a few different players this time of year — we’ll bring them in and we will be aggressive about it. Now, it takes two sides. It takes one side to give an opportunity and the other side has to be on board from a financial perspective. But I really do think we will be able to add a player or two that can help and contribute this year.”

Keim acknowledged it would probably be a position of need in that regard. He didn’t get specific, but it’s not hard to think that right tackle and cornerback could be areas where he’d look. D.J. Humphries has to prove himself at right tackle, and the Cardinals have already had a similar situation when they signed Eric Winston in 2013 to compete with still-yet-to-prove-himself Bobby Massie. Winston won the job that season. At cornerback, the Cards are young and Justin Bethel has to show he can start, so throwing a vet into the mix could push all involved.

But again, the vets “have to have the mental makeup” to fit, Keim said. In part, that vet has to be coming because of the situation, and not because of the paycheck — because the Cardinals aren’t going to be paying big at that time of year.

KeimBlog

Tags: , , ,

19 Responses to “Late signings on Keim radar”

1. By clssylssy on Jun 9, 2016 | Reply

DWIGHT FREENEY!!! Can never have too much power and depth at pass rush and he knows the drill, has the chemistry w the team & can help up the level of play beginning early in training camp. Love Chandler Jones but as situational player, Freeney can help preserve and extend our play so everybody is still healthy and strong into December and the playoff🏈🎉

2. By Craig on Jun 9, 2016 | Reply

Hello Darren,

I think I can finally watch the Cardinals in the superbowl again. Do you know where I can find it to watch?

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 10, 2016 | Reply

Craig —

RE: Super Bowl

If you have a subscription to NFL Game Pass (https://www.nfl.com/gamepass?campaign=sp-cl-gd-af-pj-1501911), it’s on there.

4. By steve on Jun 9, 2016 | Reply

Darren: Some of the players have mentioned taking vacations during the break, will you get a chance to get away and sip pina coladas on a tropical beach somewhere during the next month?

5. By Darren Urban on Jun 10, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Vacation

Time off is coming. Thank goodness.

6. By D on Jun 9, 2016 | Reply

I could see a P. Loadholt being released and available around camp time. Hard to tell if these Vets want to play for the min. pay.

I am getting pumped for this Defense this year. If they can stay healthy, I see the front 7 getting tons of pressure on the QB without having to blitz as much as they have done in the past, which really gives them more options with their secondary.
    Jones and Campbell will give other players like Golden and Gunter great opportunities to become stars. Plus, inserting Nkemdiche on passing downs will give Off line plenty of troubles..

7. By rod on Jun 9, 2016 | Reply

Mr. Bidwill and CC are on NFL network talking about the new all or nothing show. Man what a great move to do that show… Going to gain more fans I’m sure!

And they will be going inside the draft room in the show…. Can’t wait!!

8. By jtputzy on Jun 9, 2016 | Reply

Work it cueball. MC2=SB

9. By Andy Kw on Jun 10, 2016 | Reply

The Cardinals don’t have a lot of cap remaining so at realistically they can only sign 2 veterans, unless the vets they sign accept the vet minimum which will allow the Cardinals to sign about 4-5 at most.
    -We can rule out QB, RB, WR, TE, OG, C, DL, ILB, S, K, P, LS. I don’t believe the Cardinals will sign any veteran players in any of these positions.
    -OLB Dwight Freeney is the first person that comes to mind. With Zach Wagenmann down, this kind of paves the way for Freeney to re-sign with the team.
    -The cornerback position is young. But there is a lot of talent. Signing a veteran would only add to the depth, making it even more difficult to let go of anyone. Patrick Peterson, Justin Bethel, and Brandon Williams are locks to make the 53 man roster. Harlan Miller, Elie Bouka, Cariel Brooks, Asa Jackson, Carrington Byndom all seem very capable of making the roster. I don’t know about everyone else but I am comfortable with the CB group that the Cardinals currently have.
    -We need a veteran OT to backup DJ Humphries. I know John Wetzel has been talked about by Arians but he is an inexperienced OT. . Maybe Jake Long should be considered.

10. By mal on Jun 10, 2016 | Reply

Darren-

Have you watched the whole All or Nothing series yet?

If not, how much have you seen?

11. By Darren Urban on Jun 10, 2016 | Reply

Mal —

RE: All or Nothing

Just the one episode last night: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cardinals-Enjoy-All-Or-Nothing-Premiere/bb378cb9-19cb-4bdb-bcd6-a1f9a095d76e

Will post my thoughts in the blog in a bit.

12. By ginandtacos on Jun 10, 2016 | Reply

Leon Hall. Leon Hall. Leon Hall. Then, Leon Hall.

13. By Scott H on Jun 11, 2016 | Reply

Cautiously, I find myself wondering if Freeney is just waiting for the Cardinals to make that call to say “You ready, big guy?” Granted, we are still more than a month from training camps, so…..he has plenty of time to keep his options open. But it is clear that no team is going for it in 2016 like the Cardinals. I wonder if Freeney is seeing this – the trade for Jones, Chris Johnson turning down better offers to stay here to take care of un-finished business, etc – and thinking he might want to get on board this train, too. IF he’s thinking of playing only one more year and taking the best shot he can at a ring….might make sense that he is just waiting for the Cardinals to get to where they need to be to make that call.

And, of course, the reason this might all make sense is because I it’s what I want! I can convince myself that anything makes sense when it’s what I want.

14. By Scott H on Jun 11, 2016 | Reply

ginandtacos –

So….are you saying that they should sign Leon Hall FOUR times?? Three times, then one more?

In all seriousness, my wish list is for Freeney first. Things being as they are right now, the secondary is probably where our defense needs the most help. But I think having the most ferocious pass rush we possibly can is probably how we are gonna help the secondary most. Therefore, I say Freeney. I’m not sure how much Hall has left at this point, but we KNOW Freeney is still bringing it.

15. By KLC on Jun 17, 2016 | Reply

darren: Is Ugene Monroe still available, not sure if he wants to be a backup, though he would present excellent Competion for Mr. Humphries.

what your opinion

16. By Darren Urban on Jun 17, 2016 | Reply

KLC —

RE: Monroe

Eugene Monroe is still available. He is looking for a place to play left tackle. That is not here. I do not expect him to sign here.

17. By Big Ken on Jun 19, 2016 | Reply

Jake Long is still out there too. He is now in his thirties, so maybe a good depth signing. He’s probably one of those guys that thinks he could still start at LT, wants to hold out for big bucks.

18. By hammerdon on Jun 20, 2016 | Reply

Hi Darren , the talent level on this team has finally caused the D-Wash questions to stop . but i see that he’s still on our books . and will count 4.5 million against the cap this year . does that mean we haven’t severed ties yet ? and what does that mean ? this FO doesn’t overlook details like that . the fans have moved on . has Kiem ??

19. By Darren Urban on Jun 20, 2016 | Reply

hammerdon —

RE: DWash

He is still officially suspended, but not cut. His contract still is counting on the cap, but that would be true whether he was cut or not. Cut him now, it accelerates what is left of his bonus on the cap. He is not being paid any actual money right now while suspended. I do not expect Washington to play for the Cardinals again, and IMO, I do not expect him to play in the NFL again.