All in on “All or Nothing”

Posted by Darren Urban on June 10, 2016 – 1:58 pm

It’s not “Hard Knocks,” and that’s something Bruce Arians insisted upon from the start. That’s why the coach always said he didn’t want to do the HBO training camp series, because of how it showed things like players being cut — a cold way to have someone’s professional life laid bare for the world to see. Michael Bidwill agreed, although both liked some of the things “Hard Knocks” did show, like the human side of players and coaches.

In a very general way, that’s how “All or Nothing,” the story of the 2015 Cardinals, came to be.

There are still a few weeks before the series is available on Amazon. July 1 is that date (if you didn’t already know), when all eight episodes will be there on demand for everyone to see. Want to binge? Go ahead. Want to space them out? Your call. Do you prefer to watch with your kids and have the sometimes harsh words of the NFL bleeped out? There will be both unrated and edited versions.

I have only seen one episode, the seventh that chronicled the win over the Packers in the playoffs. It was, as you can imagine in something put together by NFL Films, pretty epic. The original score — which has a main theme that can be heard during the Brentson Buckner portion of the trailer — is excellent. And even though you know what will happen, to see how the emotions flowed not just for the players but others (like Arians’ wife Chris) is simply riveting television.

A couple other thoughts I had about the series, based on what we saw:

— Buckner, who is a great quote and a colorful figure, sure seems like he is going to be one of the stars.

— It reminds you of who isn’t here anymore. Jerraud Powers and Rashad Johnson were so important to last year’s team and this will rightfully reflect that and it’s a little weird since they are no longer on the roster.

— Carson Palmer had said that even with the mics and cameras Arians “was still B.A.” all last season and, yes, that was apparent.

— Crazy to think defensive coordinator James Bettcher specifically talked to the team about defending an Aaron Rodgers Hail Mary before the game, and yet Rodgers still pulled one off.

I’m looking forward to seeing the whole series. I’m guessing it will live up to the hype.

AoN.onsetBLOG

Tags: , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “All in on “All or Nothing””

1. By Irving Sanchez on Jun 10, 2016 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Do you have early access like Mike, Steve, BA, and the players do? Or do you have to wait like us for July 1st?

2. By Darren Urban on Jun 10, 2016 | Reply

Irving —

RE: Early access

Alas, I must wait.

3. By Marlin on Jun 11, 2016 | Reply

Season ticket holders should receive it on DVD from the team.

4. By cardsbaby on Jun 11, 2016 | Reply

Can’t wait. I’ll just skip #8. No need to reminisce about the Carolina game.

5. By Hammy on Jun 12, 2016 | Reply

I’m glad the Cardinals are getting some improved recognition from the media. I live in Maryland and I swear I am the only Cardinals fan around. I wish the Cards video production team can do more videos and involve the fans by answering questions via email that would be read during the video broadcast. I have seen this site grow and hopefully we can add a better viewing experience for the fans. Really glad to see this series on Amazon.

6. By Dr. G. on Jun 12, 2016 | Reply

Cards Fans…I just saw where ESPN’s prognosticators have the Birds favored in “”every”” single game in 2016…! I’ll take 16-0; how ’bout you? But, I’d rather see home field in the playoffs regardless of record…and then “”The Big Show”” == Long-term Fans have paid our dues…

This mgmt//coaching staff rocks… unbelievable developing dreams of this crew…

7. By Scott H on Jun 12, 2016 | Reply

As cool as this is – and it really IS cool that the 2015 Cardinals were chosen for this series – I’m much more focused on looking forward to 2016 than looking back at what was. 2015 was so memorable, but….I’m still kinda shaken by how it came to such an ugly end, beginning in Week 17 and continuing through the playoffs, crash landing in Carolina. It went from the best Cardinals team of all time to the worst playoff loss in franchise history. And it happened in the blink of an eye. How does that happen???

I need a much different ending in 2016, so I’m looking forward.

8. By Scott H on Jun 13, 2016 | Reply

Man, how big is Iupati??? Looking at that group picture…..he makes Campbell look slim and he makes Keim look small. Now, THAT is a big dude! Glad he’s ours.

All-you-can-eat places must fear him.

9. By clssylssy on Jun 16, 2016 | Reply

It seems BA and Fitz are not included on stage or in the group pictures and the Cards would have been no where without them!
    While it’s nice for the players to have “a yearbook” for their golden years,this almost seems like a blatant marketing ploy. I mean, who doesn’t own a VCR these days? The only place I’ve seen this promoted is on this site and by loval media?

10. By Darren Urban on Jun 16, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: B.A. and Fitz

Both had planes to catch and could not come out on the red carpet.

And these days, lots of people don’t own VCRs.

11. By Cody on Jun 20, 2016 | Reply

Darren-

What is that picture? Is that a screenshot from the series?

12. By Darren Urban on Jun 21, 2016 | Reply

Cody —

RE: Picture

No. It’s a photo I took during the premiere day in L.A. (http://www.azcardinals.com/photos/photo-gallery/All-Or-Nothing-Premiere/b1e16a4f-7118-47c2-b3c4-c6bba6253ec2) when some players and Michael Bidwill taped a segement for NFL Network.

13. By Cody on Jun 22, 2016 | Reply

This segment has not aired on NFL network right? I can’t find it anywhere online. I only found the interview with Bidwill and Campbell.

14. By Darren Urban on Jun 22, 2016 | Reply

Cody —

RE: Segment

If you are talking about the one pictured, no it has not. It is scheduled to air next week right before/right as the series is available on Amazon.

15. By John on Jul 2, 2016 | Reply

How do you change from unrated to cleaned up so I can watch with my son?

16. By Darren Urban on Jul 2, 2016 | Reply

John —

RE: Switching versions

Here is the “Rated” (cleaned-up) version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HFSV9OU

2. Jun 21, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Peterson talks “All or Nothing,” bucket toss and respect