Five Cardinals make PFF’s top 101

Posted by Darren Urban on June 16, 2016 – 10:03 am

While the NFL Network top 100 list continues to be counted down, profootballfocus.com has their own list of the top 101 players in the league. The site usually has a top 101 list after the season based on the season just completed. But now, they have a top 101 list of players right now based on overall body of work and with all positions being equal — meaning a good quarterback could still be behind a lineman if the lineman is exceptional.

Five Cardinals made the list: DB Tyrann Mathieu at No. 18 (PFF is one of the strongest outlets in referring to Mathieu more as a cornerback instead of a safety, since he plays so many snaps there), CB Patrick Peterson at No. 32, QB Carson Palmer at No. 40, DT Calais Campbell at No. 89 and G Evan Mathis at No. 98. Here’s a sampling of what PFF said on each:

Mathieu: “Whether you want to call him a safety or a cornerback, Tyrann Mathieu is one of the league’s best defensive backs. He is a true playmaker on defense and has the ability to move around and cause matchup problems for offenses, putting them on the back foot for once in a league that usually forces defenses to react, not the other way around.”

Peterson: “At his best, Patrick Peterson is one of the league’s top shutdown corners, or as close as anybody can get to that term in today’s NFL of pass-happy rules.”

Palmer: “Palmer had the league’s highest average depth of target, and his expected inaccuracy rate given the passes he was attempting should have been the highest in the league. As it turned out, he was the best on intermediate and deep throws, and if I knew I was getting that guy in 2016, he would by vying for a place inside the top-five on this list.”

Campbell: “While his ceiling may be some way short of J.J. Watt or Aaron Donald, he is still a major impact player on defense and capable of screwing up an offense’s plans almost single-handedly.”

Mathis: “PFF’s affinity for Evan Mathis has been no secret over the years. He is a player that has consistently graded well when he has been on the field, and even this past season when carrying injuries and splitting time in Denver, he was one of the best-graded guards in the league, and the highest-graded run blocker.”

PalmerPFF101

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Five Cardinals make PFF’s top 101”

1. By Scott H on Jun 16, 2016 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald isn’t one of the best 101 players in the league right now??? WRONG! Just plain wrong. C’mon, man. Even following a very “off” year in 2014, he still made the NFL Network Top 100 at #68 or so. But after having one of his best seasons ever in 2015 ( and we are talking a future HOF’er here, for Pete’s sake ), he doesn’t make this list?? Again – WRONG.

2. By Jacob Hewitt on Jun 16, 2016 | Reply

I think Larry should be within top #30 Patrick Peaterson should be about number #12 on the list but Larry in 2014 was on injury and stupid Palmer would not throw him the ball but about every ball that got thrown to him was a catch so I would put larry about #25.

3. By D on Jun 16, 2016 | Reply

Thought maybe C. Jones would have made the list after last year’s production.

4. By Noah on Jun 16, 2016 | Reply

Chandler Jones, Larry, Deone Buc, Iupati, David Johnson……The list goes on, but there’s well more than five.

5. By creditcard on Jun 16, 2016 | Reply

It’s all about money and the NFL marketing and getting fan interest to each of the 32-teams. This means the NFL will pick at least 2 players from each team. A really good team, such s the Cards, will get about 5-players picked.

Agreed with other posts, Fitzgerald, Jones, Buchanan, Johnson and Johnson all deserve to be on the list.

6. By texascard on Jun 17, 2016 | Reply

Moral victory.

7. By Scott H on Jun 17, 2016 | Reply

As Noah points out, how does Chandler Jones not make this list?? 12.5 sacks for a young player who may not even be in his prime yet? How many guys made this list with fewer sacks than that? That isn’t the whole story, but….12.5 sacks in a season is typically going to be among the league leaders that year. That is a stand-out season for a linebacker OR a D-lineman and it would certainly have him among the top 100.

And how do have Mathis on the list but not Mike Iupati?? Don’t get me wrong, Mathis is a damn solid player and I could NOT be happier he is here. I love the guy. But if you are looking at O-linemen….I think Iupati is more of a standout player than Mathis. Veldheer may be as well, for that matter.

And even as a Cardinals fan, I think Fitz belongs on this list before Campbell does – BUT THEY BOTH BELONG ON THE LIST.

And you could certainly make a case for DJ as well, after the season he had. I wonder how many rookies made this list….because you would be hard pressed to name many who made more of an impact than DJ did.

We REEEEAAAALLY need to get to training camp so we all have something else to focus on other than these damn lists ( that always seem to piss me off🙂 )

8. By Scott H on Jun 17, 2016 | Reply

OK, I just went over the whole list and I see that while Larry Fitzgerald is NOT on the list, the Colts punter IS. To repeat – a punter is being regarded as a better player than Larry Fitzgerald. OK. And….we’re REALLY supposed to take this list seriously? PUH-lease. Give me a damn break. OK, yes, a really good punter can be a wonderful thing. Life was great when we has Zastudil back there as one of the best in the business. And I HAVE felt his absence with Butler back there. But that said…..there is hardly a position in the NFL that is more utterly re-placeable than punter. On the other hand, how many teams can lose their top WR and find another one of those to plug in before the next game? That is rhetorical. Because NOBODY can. Losing a TOP WR can severely impact an offense for the very reason that THAT is something you CANNOT replace if you lose it.

Yet, these people think a punter is a better player than one of THE best WR’s in NFL history, still playing at damn near his best. No friggin’ way, man.

C’mon, folks, I need more outrage over this!

9. By texascard on Jun 18, 2016 | Reply

Scott h…eat a snickers

10. By CARDS62 on Jun 19, 2016 | Reply

texascard that was a good one.

Scott H you know Larry does not care about list except for the list of Super Bowl Champions. List are fun but not to be taken too seriously. Larry is my all time favorite Cardinal and a top 5 receiver of all time and everyone knows that about his career, and he seems to be a better man than a football player. The only list I really enjoy are listing best WRs or QBs or RBs or DEs as you can not rank a WR vs a DE or QB just makes no sense.

Concerning Iupati I hope you are right Scott. I posted last year that Mike Iupati was my favorite off season move last year, but I must admit after watching him play last year I am not very impressed, not angry or mad but was just hoping for more and I was very surprised when he was voted a pro bowler.. Iupati was banged up some last year so I hope he has a great year in 2016. Mathis I do not know what is left in the tank, but I do really like us signing him.

My favorite off field move this year is the Chandler Jones signing and I sure hope I feel this same way after the Super Bowl in 2017.

Go Cards!

11. By Scott H on Jun 19, 2016 | Reply

texascard –

Better.

12. By Scott H on Jun 20, 2016 | Reply

Cards62 –

Oh, I know others do not care about these lists as much as I ( unfortunately ) do! Not much else to pay attention to these days, though. I’ll be alright. And BTW, eating a Snickers didn’t really help. I am starting to think those commercials were just a scam for selling more candy bars. Go figure.

Not related to this but I am very happy for the city of Cleveland today. Good for them. And if it can happen for them…..maybe 2016 will be the year for some other cities that really need a championship!

13. By clssylssy on Jun 20, 2016 | Reply

Scott…I quite agree with you but have found these lists aren’t worth getting worked up over as they are just a marketing tool to suck young fans into buying the next “great’s” jersey etc. Most real fans know who the true greats are and don’t need a list!
    I have found that this time a year there is little football news worth writing about but people still need to make a living and fans devour anything remotely related. What I find puzzling is how, after the season we had, the Cards are conspicuously absent from football news. I do think that all the early speculation about Fitz’s possible retirement could have made him less relevant in the eyes of the media than younger up and comers. It’s all about sales and marketing.

14. By Scott H on Jun 21, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

Yes, as you say, this is as much about having nothing else to focus on right now as anything else.

But that said….yeah, I let it get to me more than it should! Hey, that just comes from my passion as a Cardinals fan. Gotta be true to who I am, ya know? 🙂

15. By clssylssy on Jun 22, 2016 | Reply

Scott…Oh, I think we all can relate to your passion and being miffed. Fitz is #1 on my list for CONSISTENT performance,level of play and contribution to the team’s success. If you are on IR how can you even be considered? If you dont get the ball, it tends to skewe the stats and we know he doesnt choke under pressure! Plus, he is the best blocking receiver in the NFL which tends to be discounted!
    We all have our “Best” lists but the real test comes wirh induction into the HOF and, t think, everyone knows Fitz is a lock so, it sometimes helps to keep these lists in perspective😉