Definitely no Brady versus Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on July 13, 2016 – 7:24 am

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s attempt for a new hearing for his four-game Deflategate suspension was turned down today by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, meaning — again — Brady won’t be playing against the Cardinals in the regular-season opener at University of Phoenix Stadium on “Sunday Night Football.”

Brady still could appeal to the Supreme Court, but that course of action (which would likely be an attempt to at least get a stay for the suspension, pushing it perhaps to 2017) is a longer shot than the Second Circuit move.

UPDATE: Brady announced he will no longer fight the suspension, so he is definitely not playing against the Cardinals.

The Cards have been asked about Brady playing or not playing, and yes, a couple have talked about wanting to play the best — which includes facing Brady. But I thought Larry Fitzgerald was pretty honest when he was asked about whether he’d rather play against Brady in the opener or not.

“Come on, man,” Fitzgerald said. “I think that’s a pretty easy question to answer. I love Tom, that’s my man, but if he doesn’t play, I wouldn’t shed any tears.

“I’d love to see him back the next week, though.”

It wouldn’t be the next week, either.

Tom Brady

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “Definitely no Brady versus Cardinals”

1. By Marcelof on Jul 13, 2016 | Reply

The more I read ’bout this game, the more excited I got for the season to start.

Dad always told me that to be the best we’ve gotta beat the best.

Well, here we go on one more season, all the way from Brazil supporting them on every play on every game. Let’s get that ring.

2. By Scott H on Jul 13, 2016 | Reply

Ya know….I’m looking at what Fitz is saying here – which isn’t even that bad but it carries the clear massage that we ain’t gonna mind if Brady doesn’t play – and I’m thinking we need to be careful what we say about this. Because you know the Patriots are going to feed off any little thing they can. And if too many of our players are making comments indicating a sigh of relief that Brady isn’t playing…that might just get them really up to come in here and beat us, anyway.

That is a proud team, used to winning. Bellicheck is going to have them ready for these games without Brady. Can they be the same without Brady? No. Will they still be a damn tough team to contend with? Hell, yeah, they will be.

3. By D on Jul 13, 2016 | Reply

Most of the PPF “Best” lists that I have read, I generally agree with, but they sure must not like CJ2, because I would rank the Card’s RB tandem much higher than 23 in the league, which is about 10 spots too low.

They do show much love for the AZ OL (9), Def front 7 (15th), Secondary (2), and WR (2) in the league.

I think if Gunter moves back to DE, he’ll be force along with Chandler and Campbell with a combo of X. Williams/Peters playing NT. Gunter will benefit the most and could make this DLine move into the top 10 in the NFL along with the Rams and Seahawks.

4. By Dr. G. on Jul 13, 2016 | Reply

Yeah, Larry…That’s an easy ((dumb)) question to ask.

The unenlightened interviewers ((those who ignore the question of fairness and rules)) need not ask. The court has given the answer – it should not be asked again by greedy sensationalist scoop artists.

At the least, Brady is GUILTY of obstruction of justice by trashing his phone. If he had said, “Yeah, I like the balls a little softer,” this would all be over with a small fine and a slap on the hand. But his one lie leads to another and another. Kraft paid the fine knowing that it would go away, but Brady has the biggest ego in the NFL not to let it go… putting his boss in a peculiar position.

Sorry Pats fans…Brady wants his Patsies to “”believe in him” regardless…NOT!!

5. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 13, 2016 | Reply

I love it when Fitz is just as Honest as he always is.

GO CARDS!!!

6. By creditcard on Jul 13, 2016 | Reply

Kudos to our court system.

The decision (for courts) was relatively swift, accurate, and is not bogging down the court system with an obvious deception matter. In the whole scheme of things the court of appeals should be hearing more relevant cases that affects more of the entire American population, rather than the select loose policies and even looser enforcement of the NFL.

7. By shane on Jul 13, 2016 | Reply

darren,

i know this is out of left field but i noticed that the cards are going to have a training camp session with the chargers this preseason .. If im not mistaken i think these are usually nothing but trouble as far as injuries are concerned . Over the years covering the cards have you noticed more major or just more overall injuries in these combined camp sessions ?

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 14, 2016 | Reply

Shane —

RE: Injuries with other teams

The Cardinals have only done something like this a couple of times but no, I have never really noticed more injuries.

9. By texascard on Jul 13, 2016 | Reply

screw brady

10. By Scott H on Jul 14, 2016 | Reply

Well….looking at Brady’s wife, I would hope he is not having problems with anything being “a little softer.”

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

11. By Juan on Jul 14, 2016 | Reply

Hi Darren, im a cards fan from Argentina and I want to know if its possible to watch All or Nothing from here.

I read your post about how to watch it, and you dont mention anything about Argentina, but there must be a way !

Thanks

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 16, 2016 | Reply

Juan —

RE: Argentina

That I do not know. I would reach out to @amazonvideo on Twitter. Amazon controls that aspect.

13. By Jacob Hewitt on Jul 14, 2016 | Reply

I don’t really care if Tom Brady plays or not.
    It would be better for the cards if he does not play
    So the cards can be 1-0 and it would also be better
    For 3 other teams so that’s my two cents.

14. By Jacob Hewitt on Jul 14, 2016 | Reply

Daren-
    Do u think the cardinals will pickup Justin Tucker from Ravens
    He is a free agent now so the cards might be able to make a deal
    U think the cards will get him

15. By Darren Urban on Jul 16, 2016 | Reply

Jacob —

RE: Tucker

Tucker re-signed with the Ravens.

16. By Trip Demaree on Jul 15, 2016 | Reply

Not the subject and I know you addressed this in earlier posts.
    What’s your opinion today regarding freeneys return. I know 54 isn’t taken and that’s a positive sign . As I watched all or nothing it just makes me more and more sure that having him back this year would be huge. I know we are stocked at his position, but his leadership and insight is invaluable. Plus, the guys would miss his cooking! I look for something every day, and just thought I would see if you have any better feel. It would be the final piece to the perfect off-season for keim IMO.

17. By Darren Urban on Jul 16, 2016 | Reply

Trip —

RE: Freeney

As of right now I don’t expect anything. But things change.

18. By Scott H on Jul 15, 2016 | Reply

Hey, just because we ain’t gonna see Brady in September….doesn’t mean we can’t see him in January. We’ll just have to make sure he can’t escape us in 2016. Suspended for the first 4 games? No problem. We’ll see ya down the line, Tom. But you WILL play the Cardinals before 2016 is finished. Believe that!

19. By TheLoyalTen on Jul 15, 2016 | Reply

Brady could stumble into some compromising pix of the Commish and “compromise” the suspension into a fine and play, so…just sayin’…never say never… .personally, disappointed to not see Brady play…also, recalling we lost to guy named Landry Jones was it? no gimmes

20. By clssylssy on Jul 16, 2016 | Reply

I was looking forward to a full strength,fully functioning Patriots team as an opportunity at redemption from choking so badly in the Championship game but instead this is shaping up as a trap game for the Cards, one which we may not even have the Honey Badger and even if we do win will be against the backup and less of a win. The Cards were the only team the Patsies were worried about and they have managed to soften a possible loss too! And, should we lose the opener to the backup can only imagine the media beating the Cardinals will get!
    A SB caliber team should welcome the opportunity to take on the best.
    All Fitz was saying was that Brady is one of the greats and always makes the job a little tougher.

21. By Big Ken on Jul 16, 2016 | Reply

Two more weeks until training camp.

22. By Kevin S Mesa on Jul 17, 2016 | Reply

I don’t buy the argument that it counts as “less of a win.” Obviously it counts the same in the standings, but even setting that aside, football teams deal with the loss of players all the time due to injuries, suspensions, etc. When Palmer was down for 10 games in 2014, were teams counting their wins against us as “less of a win”? (And actually, we won half those games.) Tyrann Mathieu was, according to some, in the running for defensive player OF THE YEAR last year, until he got hurt. Missing one of the best defensive players in the league didn’t make the Panthers say, oh, that counts as less of a win.

You can’t say on the one hand that it’s setting up to count as less of a win and on the other hand that it’s shaping up as a trap game. That’s the whole point — it COULD be a trap game, because no one has ever seen Jimmy G except in preseason form, and in mop-up duty in blowouts. No one has ever had to game-plan for him. He’ll be pumped up even more than everyone else for that opener. Anything could happen (see: Landry Jones, and based on draft position and experience, you could have expected Jones to do even less against us). We will have to play well to beat them, and our fan base should savor a win just as much either way.

Yeah, if the Pats lose, they’ll have the Brady excuse. Just like GSW fans will forever talk about how they lost Game 5 because Draymond Green was suspended improperly as part of the NBA’s efforts to fix the series. But it’s still an NFL team with 45 guys on game day that will be trying to win. It’s never easy to beat ANYONE in the NFL that’s as good as the Pats — with or without their starting QB. We proved as much in 2014 when our backup went 5-3. with some wins against good teams. Stanton beat the Eagles when they were 5-1 coming into the game, and the Lions who were 7-2. A great team with a backup QB is still a good team.

23. By JohnnyBluenose on Jul 17, 2016 | Reply

Scott H…..not sure what you mean about seeing Brady in 2016. We may see him at the Super Bowl but that is on Feb 5th, 2017. And I think we will be playing the Steelers then, not Brady and his pals.

24. By Scott H on Jul 18, 2016 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose –

Yes, if we’re being technical, the SB will be played in Jan and that will be in 2017. But it is still the SB for the 2016 season.

I figured people would get that.

Then again, I’m not sure what people get these days.. I make reference to seeing the Patriots again in 2016, obviously referring to seeing them in the Super Bowl, and THAT gets nothing but thumbs downs. Go figure.

25. By clssylssy on Jul 18, 2016 | Reply

Kevin…yes, a win is still a win in the long run, even sloppy, ugly wins. The fact is the Cards have whole lot more on the line as far as proving ourselves as legit contender teams with the respect that comes with that. Most people still think the Seahawks are the Big Dog in the west b/c of their back-to-back SB appearances…perception counts
    So far Tyrann COULD HAVE been the ROY,CPOY, DPY, but he hasnt been able to complete a season. Im hoping that will change this year but he doesnt look to be in any hurry to get back at it. With all the insane contracts that have been given by other organizations, Im sure SK’s job has gotten much harder as player priorities get put to the test. So many of these young guys have different values than the “old dogs” & still dont believe the fleeting nature of the NFL.
    Our mission is to get that SUPERBOWL RING which will help how the Cards are perceived.

26. By Scott H on Jul 18, 2016 | Reply

Just saw the story about Blake Bortles seeking out advice / guidance from Aaron Rodgers and our very own Carson Palmer. I think it says a lot that he obviously believed in what those guys had to offer as teachers – a quality that not all great QB’s have.

Yet another way in which the Cardinals seem to be everywhere these days. I love that.

27. By Scott H on Jul 18, 2016 | Reply

Kevin –

All very good points. Just as our coaches believe in Drew Stanton and our ability to win with him, it is no different with Bellichek and their confidence in Jimmy Garoppolo. And if a team like the Pats is confident enough in anyone to be their back-up QB, then that gets my attention.

This is also going to be a chance for this Garoppolo kid to show what he can do for either the Patriots when Brady steps down or for another team that wants to give him the reins ( ala Osweiler ). You KNOW this kid is going to want play well in these games. He’s not planning on just keeping the seat warm for Brady, so….we need to be prepared and we’re gonna need to be prepared for a QB that will not be easy to prepare for.

I hear Campbell saying that he’s licking his chops at the thought of coming after this kid, and I gotta tell ya, it makes me cringe a bit. I want our defensive players to FEEL that way, I just would prefer they not be SAYING it publicly.

28. By John on Jul 19, 2016 | Reply

Did the cards just sign Mike Jenkins?

29. By clssylssy on Jul 20, 2016 | Reply

I dont know about anybody else but it makes me REALLY uncomfortable & a little nervous when it seems all comments about the Cards are prefaced with “if Palmer can stay healthy”! This comes from national media as well as from within the organization,our players, down to the fans. Wow, I’d say this is a pretty serious chink in our armour as you don’t hear these kinds of remarks about other contender teams. Just say’n, even if it’s an obvious fact, why advertise it? It’s also rather devaluing to the 52 other guys as TEAM IS WHAT IT TAKES!

30. By Dr. G. on Jul 20, 2016 | Reply

clssy – yeah, agree on the “”why advertise?”” point of view so the head hunters won’t have more incentive. But….this is a pass crazy league now ;; any QB needs to keep vertical. It is more important when you have a receiving corps like ours to protect Palmer, the IGNITION KEY, one of the best passers in the NFL…be well.