Culliver could give Cards another CB

Posted by Darren Urban on July 20, 2016 – 7:56 am

On the heels of Mike Jenkins signing, Cardinals GM Steve Keim confirmed Tuesday night that the Cards will also bring in free agent veteran cornerback Chris Culliver in for a visit next week.

“He’s a guy that’s had some success in the NFL and is coming off the ACL, so we’ll see where it goes,” Keim said.

The caveat is that Culliver is coming off an ACL and MCL tear in November, suffering the injury in a practice while playing for Washington. He was released this offseason a year into a four-year contract, although Washington GM Scot McCloughan told the Washington Post Culliver is on schedule in his rehab and should play this season. Culliver, a one-time 49ers, turns 28 in August, although knee injuries have been a constant issue with him over the years. He also tore his ACL in 2012, missing that entire season. Culliver played in only six games last season, but had four interceptions for the 49ers in 2014.

The Cardinals have to figure out (besides how much money he might want) where Culliver’s health is and how it fits into the secondary. Already, Tyrann Mathieu is coming off an ACL and his availability for the opener is still uncertain. Can the Cards afford another player like that? Does he become someone with which Jenkins battles for a spot or could the Cards sign and keep both with younger cornerbacks moved to the side?

One thing Keim made clear: There are expectations for Justin Bethel to start. “The more Justin plays the better he’ll get,” Keim said.

Chris Culliver

Tags: , , ,

20 Responses to “Culliver could give Cards another CB”

1. By LadyBird04 on Jul 20, 2016 | Reply

I’m a little confused…don’t we already have a back coming off an ACL/MCL type injury (Matthieu)? Why would we need/want another back recovering in about the same time frame? I know they are looking for either more depth or competition in the backfield, but – Why another injured player?

Keim and Co. have a terrific track record, so I’m not questioning his judgment, just asking Why.

2. By Big Ken on Jul 20, 2016 | Reply

Darren, is there any chance they would trade for Eric Rowe from the Eagles?

3. By Darren Urban on Jul 20, 2016 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: Trade

I don’t expect anything right now. Why would the Eagles trade him?

4. By clssylssy on Jul 20, 2016 | Reply

Looks like Keim’s signing camp bodies so these guys are barely a blip on the radar. With Culliver coming off an ACL injury, I cant imagine that he would even be fit to make a good practice dummy and Jenkins was a Probowler in 2009–almost an entire NFL career ago for some. My interest will perk up when /if he signs Freeney (who could actually contribute to the rookie gowth process) or a legit playmaker like he was able to find in Cromartie a few years back.

5. By Andy Kw on Jul 20, 2016 | Reply

Dwight Freeney is waiting for a phone call

6. By John The Draft Guy on Jul 21, 2016 | Reply

I think many of you are missing it.

I said before, Keim just watched (live and tape) camps on both fields. Then sat down with his coaches to evaluate.

After looking at what he has, he is signing one corner and looking at signing another.

The young guys , either are not ready, or weren’t that good. This team, management, coaches , and fans believe this is a superbowl team. But , as said by me many times, there is a weakness opposite PP. Keim is covering his bases to bring in someone who can help in the slot and challenge Bethel.

Keim’s weakness is he tries to address positions of need late in the draft. He kept passing on a first round OLB, till finally he gave up and traded for one. He should have drafted a CB in round one. This draft was very deep in DLineman.

Instead, he is scrambling to find a CB in the wounded and guys with off years. Let’s hope Nkemdiche can get to the QB to help cover up the weakness at CB.

7. By Big Ken on Jul 21, 2016 | Reply

RE: Trade I read on blurb some place he was on the block and didn’t fit into coach Doug Peterson’s scheme. Rotoworld I think.

8. By Grandpa Black on Jul 21, 2016 | Reply

Why not Big Ken? Let’s make a deal on someone we’ve never heard of!

9. By Big Ken on Jul 21, 2016 | Reply

Aw come on ‘Grandpa’. I was surprised to read it. Second year guy, had a descent year last year. Probably rumor.

10. By Cactus jeff on Jul 21, 2016 | Reply

jTDG
    Have to go best available and fill weak spots by FA and later round draft picks. Can’t pass on the next Von Miller or Aaron Rodgers, they win super bowls. Otherwise you get Cooper at LG. Plus, on defense, it is all about the pass rush. CC and Chandler Jones will be ridiculous and a lot of young talent to rush the QB. Brady is lucky to miss the game, it might get ugly!

11. By Eazy E on Jul 22, 2016 | Reply

I would like both!

12. By CARDS62 on Jul 22, 2016 | Reply

I wish Cards just would have resigned Powers at CB. He was not perfect, but played well for us and with Peterson on the other side you know this side will be picked on. Powers is familiar with our system and players,

JTDG – All teams have weaknesses and require some luck to win Super Bowl. Our draft pick has some risk, but I love the pick of Robert N.

I like Leon Hall so why not go after him. What do all others think?

Rest in Peace Denny Green. Still remember the Bears game and watching interview after the game. Truly a classic. but it did not bother me as I love passion, and we totally outplayed the Bears that night. Still cant believe we punted to Devin Hester.

Go Cards its almost football time.

13. By SeeingRed on Jul 23, 2016 | Reply

Please sign Dwight Freeney. Everyone knows a good pass rush helps an unsettled secondary. We need all the rush we can get and Bethel isn’t “proven” and the young rookies are are just that “young and unproven”. I’m not particularly comfortable with secondary as a whole (given Badger-injured and Johnson and Powers are gone).

Off topic. Resign Floyd or we’ll regret it like we did (if u didn’t your’e on crack) Boldin and we’ll spend the next 5-10 years looking for another MF. He’s a play maker and blocks like hell. Most importantly, he plays angry. Those who have played the game understand what that means and it’s value as an intangible. Many underestimate his value because he’s in the shadow of HOF’er Fitz-just as Boldin was overshadowed but Fitz is much closer to retirement now than when the Cards traded Boldin.

14. By Jacob Hewitt on Jul 24, 2016 | Reply

Daren-
    Can u dig in and find out when Dyral Washington will
    Be Unspended

15. By clssylssy on Jul 24, 2016 | Reply

Don’t buy the excuse that Floyd hasn’t developed b/c he is in the shadow of Fitz. Yes, Floyd can make the big plays but he’s been inconsistent & is no where at the level of Boldin. We need big bodied receivers which Floyd fills the bill for. BA commented last season that he had “matured” since the beginning of the season which makes me wonder if that was what took the team so long in deciding to pick up his option. I like the guy,see talent but not the hunger I would want in a #1. We have enough little speedsters but need an Amari Cooper.
    On a different note, will remember Coach Green with fond memories ofthe years the Cards started to turn the corner–the guy had an eye for talent! RIP Coach and thanks for the memories.

16. By Tradersbrain on Jul 24, 2016 | Reply

I will never second guess Keim. This appears to be a simple case of the “kick the tires”. What it does show is that Keim is more concerned about the secondary than any other position group and I agree with him. The Cards are solid at every level except cornerback.Let’s hope he finds a diamond.

17. By Scott H on Jul 24, 2016 | Reply

Well, if we’re remembering what actually happened with Boldin….Anquan Boldin had become VERY un-happy with how he perceived he was being treated by the organization and he vowed that he wasn’t doing another contract with the Cardinals. Would he have actually stuck to his guns? Maybe. Maybe not. He believed the organization had lied to him and that seemed to be that. The screaming match he had on the sidelines with Todd Haley in the 4th quarter of the NFC title game against the Eagles ( when the Cardinals were driving for the score they needed to win the game and Boldin wasn’t on the field ) probably sealed that deal. At the very least, it didn’t help.

Boldin ( probably ) was NOT going to return after 2008. It had nothing to do with the organization not recognizing his talent or just thinking we didn’t need him. Boldin was un-happy, he wanted out, and he made that public.

Pus, Fitz and Boldin were both in their prime at the time and the team couldn’t afford to tie up that much of the cap on TWO players at the same position. That just wasn’t gonna happen. Hence, he was traded.

But that situation was NOT the same as what we have right now. Fitz – though still going strong – is on the back nine of his career and Floyd is ( we hope ) just entering his prime. Back in 2008, Fitz was the better choice for the long term. Come this off-season, Floyd will be the better choice for the long term. Odd are, he’ll get his deal.

And Fitz? I don’t even want to think about it. Just PLEASE let them win the SB this year, so maybe Fitz can ride off into retirement with a ring, as a career Cardinal, and no regrets. That is the best-case scenario for everyone.

And for what it’s worth, I think Anquan Boldin was an all-around better WR than Floyd. Mentally and physically, Boldin was a rare player and we were lucky to have him during his best years. He operated on a higher level than Michael Floyd. Now, if Floyd can finally put it all together for a full season….then maybe that becomes a different discussion. Until then? Boldin was absolutely a better player.

18. By CARDS62 on Jul 24, 2016 | Reply

Interesting discussion on Floyd. I was pleased when we drafted Floyd and did want us to keep him this year which I hope and pray will be our Super Bowl Victory Year.

Seeing Red – My observations are Fitz blocks like Hell and Boldin played angry and Floyd plays for a pay check. No one has better hands than Fitz, but Floyd is a physical specimen definitely superior to Boldin and from a physical point of view probably even superior to my favorite player of all time Fitz. Given right now what I know about all three and needing a play I would go with Fitz, Boldin, and then Floyd so I am in agreement with CLSSYLSSY AND SCOTT H.

This is Floyd’s last year on his contract so it is a money year and I expect him to put up his best numbers ever this year so I hope we do not extend him all year, and watch the man play. We can franchise him next year if we wish.

Scott H – Fitz is a hard man to figure out. He worked his contract with Rod Graves to have freedom to go elsewhere, but he never did even when we had Max Hall throwing to him. I know he wants a Super Bowl Ring more than anything, but even if he earns one I just do not know if that will be enough for him to retire. Seems proud but humble and part of me just thinks he want to play 3 more years and put up over 3000 more receiving yards. Just hope it is as a Cardinal as I can not stomach the idea of him wearing a different uniform.

Go Cards as it is almost football time once again!
    My biggest concerns for 2016 are 1) oline 2) secondary 3) punter

19. By Scott on Jul 25, 2016 | Reply

Cards62 –

Yeah, it would be very interesting to see what Fitz would do if 2016 were his last year as a Cardinal – SB ring or not. He can CLEARLY play at a high level for a few more years. I have NO doubt about that. And any team would be happy to have him. He has maintained that he wants to retire a Cardinal. But…who knows? We know he loves to travel, loves to golf, and he could easily get into media work if that appealed to him. So, it’s not like he doesn’t have other interests to move on to.

He is already a HOF WR, so…other than a ring, I’m not sure if he really NEEDS to stick around to achieve any other milestones. And I’m sure he has managed his money very well, so I would come down on the side of thinking he doesn’t need – and won’t be driven by – money.

All we can do is wait and see. You’re right, he is a little hard to figure out! These are only my thoughts / beliefs. I don’t know anything for sure.

20. By Berdj Joseph Rassam on Jul 25, 2016 | Reply

As 49ers and Redskins fans know, Culliver can be both hot and cold, both determined and fiery, and both lackadaisical and nonchalant. He’s a roll of the dice.