Fitz: Retirement? Figure out dinner first

Posted by Darren Urban on July 31, 2016 – 12:06 pm

Larry Fitzgerald met with the media today, and while there wasn’t much news out of it — OK, really no news — the Pro Bowl wide receiver was asked about retirement in the form of whether this would be his last training camp.

I have no idea,” Fitzgerald said. “I don’t even know what I’m having for dinner. Let’s start with the basics.”

That was the extent of the conversation, which figures to be a season-long topic that can’t be answered, because I think Fitz is exactly right — he doesn’t have any idea how his future is going to play out. Not yet.

Fitz did make clear how he feels about training camp though. He’s never been a fan, and that doesn’t change.

“Training camp stinks when you are bad (as a team), training camp stinks when you’re good,” Fitzgerald said. “It’s training camp.”

A reporter asked him about the grind of camp. That was a non-starter.

“Coach doesn’t allow us to call training camp a grind,” Fitzgerald said. “He says we stay in a five-star hotel, practice indoors. So it’s not a grind.”

— Bruce Arians said there was no new injury news. DT Red Bryant (Achilles) will miss one more day, while TE Jermaine Gresham (hamstring) is probably out another couple of days.

— Arians is looking forward to the players finally having pads in practice, which starts today. “A lot of the mental work is done, now it’s time to get the physical part of it started,” Arians said. “Making sure we get our pad level down and start playing football.”

FitzRetireDinner

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “Fitz: Retirement? Figure out dinner first”

1. By texascard on Jul 31, 2016 | Reply

That is hard to think about

2. By Scott H on Jul 31, 2016 | Reply

The thought of Fitz retiring at the end of this season conjures up a thought for me. Because I’m pretty sure that when Kurt reitred after the 2009 season, it had to be killing Fitz to see his QB walk away when he was still so obviously capable of playing at a high level. And I’m sure Fitz knew, though he would never say it, that without Kurt, the team was ( probably ) headed for some down years. In other words, their immediate aspirations of being a true contender were walking out the door with Kurt.

And now? Might Fitz do the same, walk away when he is still so capable of playing at a high level? And might some of his team-mates be holding their tongues as he does? Granted, the team will not fall off a cliff if Fitz retires ( as long as Palmer is still playing ) but I think he will take something with him that no one will be quite able to replace.

I swear, I will shed tears when Fitz’ career as a Cardinal comes to an end. For me, he might just be a once-in-a-lifetime player.

3. By dan on Jul 31, 2016 | Reply

I think Fitz deserves to bypass training camp……..I really do.

4. By rod on Jul 31, 2016 | Reply

I saw that a blurb that Veldheer held off C Jones. Did DJ Humphreys hooks off his side?

5. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2016 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Humphries

Not sure what you mean.

6. By rod on Jul 31, 2016 | Reply

Grrrr autocorrect

hooks I meant handle.

Thanks Darren

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2016 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Humphries

He had some good plays, some not so good. As expected: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2016/07/31/chandler-jones-looks-good-and-d-j-s-day/

8. By clssylssy on Aug 1, 2016 | Reply

It’s really a major buzz kill to see the media continuously dogging Fitz about retirement; it almost feels like you are trying to push him out the door and for most Cardinal fans, that’s not something we want to think about. It’s not like he hasn’t answered these same questions before! He’s in great shape, playing at an extremely high level consistently,knows more about winning games under pressure than anybody on this team and ishumble while being a leader. Can we just focus on getting that ring w/o all the other drama then we can all reassess our options,e career here and
    Fitz is an intelligent and capable Individual with the world as his oyster and when the time comes he will make his exit with the same class that he has played the game.Mr. Bidwill has promised that Fitz will play his entire career here and that’s all I need to know. I could see Fitz hanging around as BA says for a second ring, but gotta get that first one before that conversation!

9. By Scott H on Aug 1, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

I would hope that by now, people would get the message that Fitz isn’t gonna answer that question right now and move on to something else. What’s the point, ya know? Speaking of which….

Darren – Can you find out what Fitz did, in fact, have for dinner last night? He never came back to that and I think we DO need some clarity on that.

10. By Cody Zarr on Aug 1, 2016 | Reply

Pondering the inevitability of Fitz’s retirement is depressing. For now I prefer to focus on how amazing the team looks. I can’t recall a season when the hopes (or the power rankings) were so high. The ONLY thing I think that could possibly increase my excitement for the season would be if we could convince the major networks to let Ron Wolfley do the color commentary for the Cardinals game.

Darren I really liked the piece you did on Chandler Jones. It was neat to learn a bit about what makes him tick.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2016 | Reply

Cody —

RE: Chandler

I appreciate it. Hopefully you’ll feel the same the next two days with stories on David Johnson and Tyrann.