Smokey’s head check and Jenkins surgery

Posted by Darren Urban on August 1, 2016 – 12:30 pm

Turns out wide receiver John Brown banged his head in his collision with cornerback Patrick Peterson during practice Sunday, which is why Brown left. Brown will now be out as he goes through concussion protocol. We’ll see how long it takes to have him get back on the field. Guard Evan Mathis also left practice early Sunday, and Arians said it was leg fatigue where he had ankle surgery in the offseason and not a big deal.

Still, Mathis will get a veterans’ day off Monday, as will running back Chris Johnson and quarterback Drew Stanton. Arians had already said he would rotate some vets off practice during camp, so others will be sitting out as we go forward.

— Arians also said cornerback Mike Jenkins, who broke a bone in his hand over the weekend, was having surgery Monday. The hope is that Jenkins will be back on the field playing in a cast in two or three weeks, Arians said.

— Arians was happy with the first padded practice, saying there weren’t conclusions really to be drawn from it. “This is the time of year you have all those bad habits playing in shorts, and you’ve got to break them,” Arians said.

It is that shorts-to-pads transition that he watches very closely.

“It shows up real fast,” Arians said. “Guys who look like All-americans in shorts fade away, the guys who look like (expletive) in shorts, they’re football players. they show up.”

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to “Smokey’s head check and Jenkins surgery”

1. By clssylssy on Aug 1, 2016 | Reply

Geez, one day in pads & Smoke is out w a concussion, our new corner has had surgery, Mathis got taken out by our new pass rusher while our #1 pick is in a walking boot for a couple of weeks!😱 Let’s hope we can get this injury bug out of our system and get this ship righted. Love the enthusiasm though!

2. By creditcard on Aug 1, 2016 | Reply

My primary concern this year, as well as the last handful of years is the O-line.

I think that it is interesting the best O-linemen we have came from other teams. Seems like the Cards have exhibited absolutely no success in developing top-tier O-linemen from the draft. That being said, the left side of the O-line is good, the right side and center position appear painfully weak.

I know Mathis is on the team, but he very well might not have enough in the tank. Humphreys is untested. He is literally come from ground zero — hard to go from point zero to sensational in one off season. Shipley is no more than a back-up.

Scary right side. If the line fails, then the offense literally fails.

Mind you, I hope I’m wrong, I’m a big Cards fan, but from my view point, the right side of the O-line is by far the biggest question mark.

3. By georgiebird on Aug 1, 2016 | Reply

Can’t remember a season where more was expected from the Cardinals. Even in the years under Coryell when the record was good, the Cards couldn’t play with the top teams. Last year, the goal was to win the West, this year there’s only the ultimate goal.

4. By georgiebird on Aug 1, 2016 | Reply

Time to tell whether the guys in the league are just a little too big and fast for Smokey.

5. By EveryTrainingCamp on Aug 1, 2016 | Reply

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

6. By Eric G on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

I wish I was Jenkins’ doctor, i’d make sure that hand was well protected. Wrap it in about 50+ layers to protect it. The fact that the cast will be two feet in diameter and about 4 feet long is just a side effect. he’ll have to learn how to play with that thing extending from his arm when he’s reaching up to bat a pass.

7. By Scott H on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

credit card –

I think your assessment of the O-line is pretty fair and pretty right on, even if it is not what people want to hear. Mathis is a bit of a question mark….Humphries is a HUGE question mark…..Shipley is not proven, couldn’t nail down the job last year….all valid concerns. And our two best players on the unit did come from other teams.

You made nothing but completely true and fair statements. And look how people responded. Three times as many negative reactions as positive ones. As always, I wonder why that is.

But I appreciate your willingness to see POTENTIAL problems and to point them out. That shouldn’t be a bad thing.

Like you, I really wonder about Humphries and Shipley, in particular. I think Mathis will be a VERY good addition as long as he is not taken down by an injury. If he is playing, I think he will be fine. At center, I am very interested to see what the kid we drafted this year has to offer. I’d love to see him push Shipley and really force him to win the job. But regardless of who wins the job, we NEED that guy to play well there. And we’re not assured of that right now.

8. By clssylssy on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

Credit card & Scott…you guys are spot on w your concerns about the O-line & I think the negativity is not so much reflective of disagreement as it is more about the excitement of the reality that football is at last here and fans being deleriously excited. Those of us who have traveled this road for so many seasons know only too well our history of weak olines and the missed successes because we couldnt protect our QB. Too many fans do not understand the complexity of the Center position and I am thrilled to death that we have two guys that will battle for this position. AQ has had a year to study it and mentor behind a veteran and now we have Boehm, a highly intelligent guy, who seems to be a fast learner but who will benefit from “the process” without being thrown into the fire immediately; BA’s offense is more diverse and complicated than most so Im all for mastering the basics!
    Im more concerned about defense. We have a lot of amazingly talented athletes but I worry that Keim has traded flash for substance and that there will be a lot of injuries as a result and we will not have the kind of durability needed to take us the distance.

9. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy…..i don’t understand your last sentence.

10. By Scott H on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

I just watched the camp hi-lights video ( Larry’s show ) and I loved what I saw. Looks like Carson is throwing with zip and accuracy.

And it is great to see how all-out Fitz is even during training camp. The man is just DRIVEN to catch every / any ball that is thrown in his direction. You can see how his greatness has come to be. It’s all in his hard work and preparation. And I loved his side-line tackle of an un-suspecting coach.

GREAT stuff.

11. By clssylssy on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

After listening to BA’s most recent comments about all the mental errors and the “guys flying around” hotdoggin it, I am even more disappointed that Keim chose not to retain some our veteran anchors & play makers like Freeney & Redding to help mentor our young colts & keep them grounded. BA didnt sound too happy at having “10 guys on the field”–maybe he needs to take down the ALL OR NOTHING banner as this is not the same team and these guys are starting from zero.
    Glad to hear the news about the badger…never had any doubt that he wouldnt get his contract!

12. By Annette F Richters on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

Classy Lassy, I think we are all a little jittery concerning the camp injuries and trouble. The locker room we have is just fine and is jelling. That is what Fitz said and Chandler Jones is mixing in fine. We have a fine set of DEs and LBs and Nkemdiche will be fine too. Injuries are a part of the game and always have been. The Vets like Freeney and Big Red are still there. We might still bring one or both back, but when we look at Keim’s work and the team we have now vs. the team he started with I have to say I have faith in this admin group and the players we have now to win the Super Bowl. They just have some rust.

13. By clssylssy on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose…
    It appears that Keim has an abundance of young talented athletes on defense now and with putting so much focus on our pass rush, which I give him props for, at the same time he gave up guys like Freeney and Redding, who may be “old” (substance) but who have figured out how to continue to be playmakers long after many of the younger guys have burned out or are otherwise out of the league (flash). Last season it was the “old” guys who were the difference makers when the pressure came on while the youngsters were played out. We need to keep a balance of wisdom and experience to go along with the youthful enthusiasm and mental errors.