Freeney an option no longer

Posted by Darren Urban on August 2, 2016 – 1:50 pm

Many times it’s been asked if the Cardinals were going to re-sign Dwight Freeney. It was unlikely unless there was an injury, but until he signed somewhere, there was always a chance. That chance is gone now. Freeney is headed to Atlanta to sign with the Falcons, ending whatever opportunity there was for him to return to Arizona.

In truth, Freeney’s chance to come back dried up when the Cardinals traded for Chandler Jones in March. Jones is a three-down player and a guy who is younger and better than Freeney, even after Freeney’s excellent eight-sacks-in-11-games year for the Cards a year ago. Behind Jones are a bunch of younger outside linebackers and the truth is the Cardinals need to develop linebackers for the future. Freeney won’t be around for the future.

That doesn’t mean the Cardinals won’t see Freeney again. The Cardinals visit the Falcons Nov. 27. We’ll see how Jared Veldheer and/or D.J. Humphries deal with the spin move.

FreeneyDone

Tags:

20 Responses to “Freeney an option no longer”

1. By shannon robinson on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

I’ll have my Jamaican Chicken with Grits on the side and a handful of boiled peanuts. As Bruce Arians said it’s always good to see someone get paid and I bet Freeney’s contract is more than we paid him last year including the sack bonuses. A tip of the Cardinal Wing to our great pass rusher Dwight Freeney!

2. By clssylssy on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

This TOTALLY sucks! While I am,of couse, pleased that Keim has attempted to address our pass rush with the acquisition of Chandler Jones , once again I have an ominous feeling that we are putting all our eggs is in one basket and the price of some experienced insurance would have been worth the price in such a critical yesr. Much of our success last season was to the credit of having wise and experienced warriors at almost every position to lead the way. Good luck to Dwight, he will be missed!

3. By Jon Elder on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

Obviously the front office knows what they are doing. From a strictly outsider perspective I never understood how having this guy on our team for a cheap one year contract was not an option. How can you have too many good pass rushers? This one was a bit of a head scratcher.

4. By Andy Kw on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

#19. This WR is making plays. Chris Hubert is a must watch!

5. By Dynosoar on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

I like Freeney, I also trust Keim.

6. By dkerry5242 on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

The Falcons on their website made a big deal out of signing Dwight Freeney.
    I sure hope, by the Cards not signing him, it doesn’t come back to bite us in the ass.

7. By CARDS62 on Aug 2, 2016 | Reply

You can never have too many pass rushers or cover corners or play makers in this league, but just too hard to pay all 53 guys, I really liked Freeney and really wanted him back for rushing the qb and his presence in the locker room. It will be interesting to find out how much Atlanta is paying him.

Hopefully Campbell, and Golden, and Okafor can get after the qb for us. I know Jones will.

Really like all of the good comments I am hearing about our o line. Can not wait to watch the first series against a good Oakland Raiders front 7.

Very happy for the Honey Badger as he has turned out great for us. Now we all just have to pray he stays healthy especially those legs.

Super Bowl or bust in 2016 for us. Do not envy Steve Keim and what he is facing after this year with signing our talent, but I have to tell you I have followed the team for decades with very little talent on the roster so it has been a pleasure watching this talent the last few seasons and the upcoming season.

Go Cards!

8. By Steve Weston on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

I loved watching the Freeney highlights in that All Or Nothing series, and though I’m sad he won’t be playing for our Cards this season I am very happy to see him play in the NFL again – a very deserved reward for how well he played for us last year I’m quite certain.

On the flip side, I’m excited to see how our defense plays this year, especially with Chandler Jones giving us a much needed threat to those QBs we’ll be facing – in addition to all the other threats our opponents will be facing! Even if he doesn’t get the 20+ sacks I know everyone’s hoping for, I bet money he gets a lot of hurries which can lead to INTs – and I’m betting there’s a few Cards in the backfield who would be very happy with that!

GO CARDS!!!!

Steve W.
    Biggest Cards Fan in Virginia

9. By Scott H on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Would have loved to have Freeney back, but….the addition of Jones and the needs at other positions sorta’ dictated it probably wasn’t gonna happen. I can only hope we will not regret this one. As stated previously, there was just something SO comforting about having Freeney around! It will NOT be comforting to know he will be coming after Palmer on the day we play Atlanta.

I DO NOT get him choosing Atlanta over Cincy if he is / was really serious about playing for a contender. Cincy is a lot more legit that the Falcons are, that is for sure. But we know money is always a factor as well, especially for an older player at the back end of his career. I wish him well. He provided some great moments for us last year.

10. By 11B-33T on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Time for those kids to step up then and show they did learn/absorb from Dwight Freeny how to get it done. How many players would love to be able to play/learn with a veteran player I’m sure will be in the NFL Hall Of Fame? I’m bummed we did not re-sign him but I’m wishing all the best for him and hope his time with us showed the rest of the league Dwight is still the man and the Falcons compensate him accordingly.

11. By faster on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

i`m disapointed. i thought, the team could break the series with freeney this year, now it looks like they will have to wait another year.
    a litte consolidation, they should beat the panthers this year.

12. By joe holst on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

They should be eligible for a Compensatory pick since he is a actual free agent loss, so the tally is FA’s gone, Bobbie Massie, Dwight Freeney, Bradley Sowell, Ted Larsen, Sean Witherspoon, Rashad Johnson, Jeraud Powers, and they gained, Tvvon Branch, Evan Mathis, Donald Butler and Mike Jenkins, I think they will get a 4th rounder for Massie, and 2 5th rounders for Powers and Johnson and maybe a 7th. Can you imaging Steve Keim with 10 picks next year?. They will be able to move around the draft and inject some youth into the team,

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Comp picks

There is a deadline in the offseason that, once past, free agents that sign no longer count.

I’d have to look up the deadline but Freeney, Butler, Jenkins and maybe even Powers (again, I’d have to see the deadline) do not factor into the equation.

14. By joe holst on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Ok makes sense. Thanks!

15. By Chris carlson on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

I miss Freeney too! Imagine at some point in the game if you have C. Campbel, Nkemdiche, C. Jones and Freeney all going after the quarterback at the same time! Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to dream about it.

16. By clssylssy on Aug 4, 2016 | Reply

The Falcons are one of those teams who always have found a way to beat the Cards so I dont even want to face Freeney in November. They have Julio Jones and that”s one of those “easy” games we won’t want to sleep on. We probably need to start working on ego managment now!

17. By kenny on Aug 4, 2016 | Reply

Hey everybody I just want to say thank god it is football season again. I just want you all to know I am the guy that every body made fun of because of my poor grammar skills. Yes I am the junior high head football coach and x OHIO STATE ball player {tail back} that told you all what a poor mistake it was to take LOGAN THOMAS with a fourth round draft pick that he could not hit the side of the CARDINALS stadium and I went on to make several other observations about the foolish draft picks that were made by KIEM. Well I hope u all had a good laugh because I was right about all of them . You are all probably saying ok what is your point, Well every body my point is we still don’t have the quarterback to take us to the promised land and let all the quality slip away that we could of had with out even trying and yes I am still saying I do no approve or agree with are draft mindset. Oh by the way my grammar are still poor however my coaching skills and knowledge of the game surpasses all of you guys especially PASH who bashed me two times and I have not posted a blog since. Gentleman we are still missing 2 things. A quality quarterback who can move and a real special teams punt return team. In closing if you really believe we need some who knows how to draft and if you don’t you obviously do not know the game I am available Kenny.kay44@yahoo.com

18. By Scott H on Aug 4, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

RE: The Falcons

Well, they didn’t beat us in the wild card round in 2008! 🙂

But I hear ya, they are a sneaky, hiding in the weeds kind of team. They aren’t good enough to make the playoffs ( probably ) but they are good enough to rise up for a game to beat a team like the Cardinals ( 2014 ) or the Panthers ( last year ). But they are no different than any other team in terms of us just needing to stay focused and play to our capability to beat them.

Keep in mind, the loss in 2014 was without Palmer. Although, there is still no excuse for how we just rolled over in that game.

19. By Andy Kw on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

joel holst
    -Powers doesn’t count as a compensatory pick. I don’t remember the exact day but a certain deadline passed and he is no longer eligible for consideration of a comp pick

20. By clssylssy on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

Oh, I quite agree with you Scott but just say’n….seems like nobody considers them a real threat then they rise up and beat the odds enough to put a kink in another team’s roll and sometimes one game is all it takes to keep a team out of the playoffs! They have some good players and we just seem to have a problem with those east coast teams whether they be the Falcons or Panthers or Steelers etc.

2008 was a magical time and as good as we have become, still haven’t quite eclipsed that yet even with a better record!Hoping this year will be the year we can all be WOW’d