Mathieu will stay where he should be

Posted by Darren Urban on August 2, 2016 – 10:29 pm

Late in Monday’s practice, as the Cardinals went to move between drills and the portable water stations were supposed to come with them, there was an accident. In an effort to quickly grab a water station — which includes a bucket of ice and Gatorade bottles — one of the equipment interns tipped it over. Ice spilled all over the 50-yard line.

Tyrann Mathieu, who only can stand on the sideline right now while on the PUP list and rehabbing his knee, went over to help all the equipment guys help clean it up.

Mathieu wasn’t the only one — other players helped, including injured rookie Robert Nkemdiche — but it underscored where Mathieu is on this team. Here’s a guy who is a star. He’s one of the faces of the franchise. And there he was, getting ice off the field as best he could.

That popped into my head Tuesday as the news leaked out that Mathieu was about to finally get the contract extension everyone was waiting for. It always seemed to be inevitable in my mind. I’ve spent enough time with Mathieu — including a chance to be with him for a day this summer when he returned to his hometown of New Orleans — to know how much he wanted to stay in Arizona. And it’s long become clear everyone in the organization wanted Mathieu to stay. It’s not often where a player and team are a perfect fit, but that’s the Cardinals and Honey Badger.

We’ll hear eventually about the details of Mathieu’s deal. He reportedly is getting $40 million in guarantees over five years (although so often, the
“guarantees” reported are leaked from the agent and it’s not the same definition of guarantee as the dictionary). I would also be surprised if the Cards didn’t get some kind of injury protection in the deal after Mathieu’s two ACL tears.

But this is a guy who you want to have on your team. It’s an incredible story, really, from where Mathieu came from after being bounced out of LSU and sinking in the the NFL draft. It’s hard to quantify just what Mathieu means to the Cards on the field, to the locker room, to the fan base. He has a charisma that it just so genuine, which you saw in a couple of his passionate speeches during “All or Nothing” and why teammates were so devastated that night in Philadelphia when he tore his ACL even though the Cardinals won in a blowout to capture the NFC West. Yes, it was about losing Mathieu the player, but it was also pain for Mathieu the person.

This is a deal that needed to be done. Mathieu needs to be a Cardinal.

TyrannContractBlog

Tags:

8 Responses to “Mathieu will stay where he should be”

1. By jkzolla on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Sometimes, I’ve been disappointed in the way the organization handles some of their contracts. I’m not in the general manager spot-light, so maybe there is a different side to these contracts. Point is, I’m very happy that Steve Keim was able to give Tyrann what he really does deserve. I’ve seen it in the past with Darnell Dockett, Karlos Dansby, Antonio Smith, Adrian Wilson, and Anquan Boldin, where I thought maybe they would retire Arizona Cardinals. I know, the business aspect will always take ahold. I’m just happy that Tyrann, Patrick Peterson, and (so far) Calais Campbell are Cardinal lifers.

2. By Steve Weston on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Very happy to see Honey Badger get that deserved contract. Man, now he just needs to stay injury-free for an entire season! I know he takes chances sometimes with his all-out style of play, but I also think bad luck plays a part and I hope to hell he’s due for a season of good luck on that front.

Congrats to Tyrann and I am SO MUCH looking forward to this Cardinals season I can hardly contain myself. GO CARDS!!!!

Steve W.
    Biggest Cards Fan in Virginia

3. By Scott H on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Sweet deal ( literally !!! ) for everyone – Mathieu, the organization, and the fans. And one contract we will NOT Have to address later.

Man, we just need him to stay healthy.

4. By PotAsh on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Congrats to TM32 and to the Cardinals. A deal that is good for both sides. Can’t wait for TM32 to unleash the savage this year.

5. By D on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Great deal for both sides. What a difference M. Bidwil and S. Keim have made to this organization.

This is a great example of how far this team has changed from our days in the 90’s sweating in Sun Devil Stadium watching bad football. Not only the type of contract that was agreed upon, but the fact the team would take a chance on a Honey Badger is unbelievable. I guess S. Keim was playing close attention all those years under the prior GM on what could and should be done differently to make this team one of the most desired places to work and play.

6. By rod on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Last night I dreamt that I ran into TM in a dark house and he was smoking on a glass pipe and I was like “oh man, Ty” like I was disappointed in him and he just hung his head down. I actually dreamt that last night. Glad it was just a dream.

Very happy for him!!!

I also saw a thing where Les Miles said that cutting him was the worst decision he’s made… I think it was a great decision and is a big reason TM has triumphed.

7. By SeeingRed on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Love it. Love it. I know we all are hoping he stays healthy (obviously) but he has to be himself to be Tyrann. Its his nature to be that Honey Badger player-that’s just who he is. For him to play less than that (see 2014 season) and he’s not particularly special on the field. He HAS TO BE THE BADGER. So take your time Ty and when you come back, be yourself and let modern medicine put you back together🙂

Let’s do this Cards Nation….and resign Michael Floyd, Franchise Chandler Jones if necessary and I can live with any other FA losses.

8. By Cactus jeff on Aug 3, 2016 | Reply

Honey badger = Troy Polamalu
    Difference maker, great pick by SK