Camp “grind” and needing two bars

Posted by Darren Urban on August 4, 2016 – 12:17 pm

Last week, Larry Fitzgerald noted that Bruce Arians doesn’t like to use the word “grind” when it comes to training camp. The coach made it obvious why today.

“It’s not a grind,” Arians said. “How can it be a grind when it’s one practice (a day) in air conditioning, and you stay in a five-star hotel. That ain’t a grind. A grind is two practices (a day), three hours, both in pads, in a (expletive) dorm and camp is off somewhere in the middle of nowhere. That’s a grind. Two bars, nowhere to go.”

The significance of two bars?

“One for the players, one for the coaches,” Arians quipped.

— The Cards seem to have gotten good news on a pair of injuries. LB Alani Fua (knee) doesn’t need surgery and, if you can call it good news, DT Corey Peters only has plantar fasciitis. That could still sideline him a little bit — it’s up in the air right now — but at least he didn’t injure again his Achilles, which was an immediate fear.

— Arians updated some of the long-term injuries: S Tyrann Mathieu (knee) and DT Frostee Rucker (foot) are out “probably two weeks,” DT Robert Nkemdiche (ankle), CB Justin Bethel (foot) and CB Elie Bouka (hamstring) are probably less than two.

— WR Larry Fitzgerald will get his veterans day off today. He was supposed to be off Tuesday but worked because so many receivers were sitting because of injuries.

— Earl Watford will play a lot of center the next few practices, Arians said, to get him game-ready. Arians said offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin calls Watford “Knife” — as in Swiss Army, since Watford can play every position on the line. His versatility makes him a strong candidate to be one of the backup linemen active on game days.

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “Camp “grind” and needing two bars”

1. By joe holst on Aug 4, 2016 | Reply

plantar fasciitis doesn’t like to go way very easily, it; like someone is pinching and stabbing the bottom of your foot. The only way to hopefully get rid of it is typically physical therapy and it takes forever. It also seems Frostee Ruckers ankle is taking forever to heal.

2. By Tucson Card on Aug 4, 2016 | Reply

Nice BA quote

3. By Scott H on Aug 4, 2016 | Reply

Mostly good news! As joe states, plantar’s can be un-pleasant and can linger. But with proper treatment, it can also be very effectively resolved. Granted, I am NOT a pro athelete but I was diagnosed with it about 5 years ago. I took a series of cortisone shots that seemed to have limited effectiveness until the last one they gave me. Since that time, It has seemed to go away entirely. There has been no recurrence.

I’m sure they are treating it aggressively and hopefully, he can be better by Sept.

4. By Joe C. on Aug 4, 2016 | Reply

With all the potential quality d-lineman is there a benefit to starting some of these guys on the PUP list or something? Without using the IR designated to return slot.

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2016 | Reply

Joe C —

RE: PUP

Once a player practices, he can no longer go on PUP.

6. By Jay on Aug 4, 2016 | Reply

Darren, I haven’t been able to get out to the facilities to see any of the practices. How is Coker looking at practice? I know third string competitions aren’t very newsworthy but being a SEC fan I’ve been kinda pulling for him. Plus it’s nice to know if a project has the potential “diamond in the rough” payout. I was never really sold on the Barkley trade. He has always seemed like a career backup to me.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

Jay —

RE: Coker

I’d say Coker is an extreme long shot. Struggled quite a bit both during all the offseason stuff and in camp so far.

8. By Scott H on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

Not related to this, but looks like we are about to see Kurt take another run at the HOF. I’m not entirely outraged he didn’t get in on his first year of eligibility but I think he absolutely should get it. If not this year….I think I might be a little more annoyed.

9. By Joe C. on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

So here on out the players who’ve practiced are on the roster, cut, or IR? Basically roster, practice squad, or lost for the season?

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply