Fitz messes with Smokey, and loafing rookies

Posted by Darren Urban on August 5, 2016 – 2:01 pm

All John Brown wanted to do was go to lunch. But Larry Fitzgerald, making an appearance in a near-empty locker room, was surrounded by media, and he was trying not to do the interview session alone. So he grabbed Brown’s backpack — Smokey kept calling it his “bookbag” — and took it. Brown wasn’t allowed to talk while in concussion protocol, but Fitz wouldn’t give up the bag. So there Fitz sat in his locker, Brown’s backpack secure between his legs, while Brown sat on the outside of the scrum quietly waiting.

At one point, Brown, tired of waiting, tried to sneak on the floor through some media legs to grab the backpack. Fitz saw it coming, and wouldn’t let him take it — all while continuing to answer questions. Smokey could only sit, head in hand, waiting like a kid who is stuck in the department store while mom is shopping.

Can’t blame Fitz for being in a playful mood after Friday’s big news.

On to football stuff, the first of which includes an irritated Bruce Arians:

— Arians’ problem is with rookies and effort, and he made it very, very clear after Thursday’s practice. “Do not like where some young guys’ heads are as far as the speed of the game for the allotted time practice is,” Arians said. “They won’t make our ballclub at the level they are going at, so we have had some conversations.”

Arians didn’t name names. And he made clear exactly what he meant: “They are loafing, especially on special teams, where they are going to make the team,” Arians said. “Turn that tape on, they ain’t going fast enough to make this team.”

“You’ll either be flipping burgers or bagging groceries or you might be here,” Arians added. “That’s your choice, in about three weeks. Because if you practice like you did, you ain’t getting in the (first preseason) game next Friday night.”

— DT Ed Stinson (calf) is returning to practice. Center Taylor Boggs (calf) got hurt Thursday and is out for now. No other injury changes.

— Rookie CB Brandon Williams is the starter right now, Arians said. “There ain’t nobody else out there challenging him right now.”

Tags: , , , ,

17 Responses to “Fitz messes with Smokey, and loafing rookies”

1. By D on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

The Fitz extension makes sense.
    I would have waited until we see how the QB plays in this year’s playoff games. Mr. Keim delete that Panther game tape?

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

D —

RE: Palmer

No QB alternative on hand and you seriously would just move on?

3. By Joe C. on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

Do these extensions convert dead money to salary? Do they add a year with dead money?

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

Joe C —

RE: Extensions

Numbers aren’t known yet in that regard.

5. By Scott H on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

Good for this Brandon Williams kid! He has my excitement level way up! Sounds like the starting job was there for the taking and he is taking it. Kinda disappointing to think that no one is challenging him right now. Maybe things will heat up now with BA putting this out there.

But nothing has my excitement up more than the news of the extensions for Fitz and Palmer. That is great news. If nothing else, that keeps the window ( meaning, the window for winning a SB with Fitz here ) open for at least another year. And it can put to rest the questions about Fitz’ retirement.

Who knows….maybe it also opens the window for Fitz to win ANOTHER ring here. After the one he wins this year! 🙂

6. By Big Ken on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

Tom Brady just turned 39 earlier this week and he seems to be playing at a very high level. So these one year deals are just green fees for Carson and Larry.

7. By jsweet2911 on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

When Arians made the comment about no challengers for CB Williams, did that include Bethel? Or is Williams simply the starter until Bethel gets back?

8. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

Got to say I love the extensions.

OK, so we have Fitz this year and next at 11 million. (cant be more happy)

So….. does this do anything with the Michael Floyd situation?

Knowing Fitz is signed for 2017, you have John Brown, JJ Nelson, and it seems everyone is talking about this kid Chris Hubert (which I need to see in a game), not to mention another draft .

Then you throw in the contracts for people like Chandler Jones and CC.

It seems the cards are in a good position to negotiate with Floyd. Hearing he wants Dez Bryant type money, the cards signing Fitz allows them to allow Floyd to move on next year.

It will be interesting.

9. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

Rookie CB Brandon Williams is the starter right now, Arians said. “There ain’t nobody else out there challenging him right now.”

OK, with the cards signing Alan Ball today and Mike Jenkins (Jenkins is injured) and Arians is obviously liking Williams, what does that say about Bethel.

If I am Bethel, I am doing everything I can to get back on the field.

Now as many know, I have been calling for an upgrade over Bethel. The cards drafted 2 guys and then signed two experienced vets.

Looks like Keim and I are thinking the same.

10. By creditcard on Aug 5, 2016 | Reply

Totally different topic:

Interesting camp battles, I cannot remember ever seeing this many back-up battles before, and with some very proven players, battling for a back-up role. Impressive list some very talented guys will not make the squad.

1. Crisp, Debord, Wetzel (tackle)
    2. Toner, McClain, Shipley, Watford (guard)
    3. Watford, Shipley, Bogg, Boehm (center)
    4. Canaday, Dillon (Long snapper)
    5. Taylor, Penny (rb)
    6. Christian, Niklas, Momah Valles, (TE)
    7. Hubert, Shipley, Brown, Golden (WR)
    8. Barkley, Coker (QB)
    9. Butler, Swanson (P)
    10. Williams, Stinson, Bryant, Rucker, Pierre, Mauro (DL)
    11. Martin Okafor, Wagenmann, Riddick, Okpalaugo, (OLB)
    12. Butler, Martin, Fau, Louis, (ILB)
    13. Ball, Miller, Brooks, Jenkins, Prater, Zamort, (CB)
    14. Swearinger, Farley, Eskridge,Clemons, Christian (S)

11. By clssylssy on Aug 6, 2016 | Reply

The QB position is somewhat worrisome, more so in the bigger picture now that Carson got the extension, but with the slim pickens out there, still a nagging concern. I have always thought Barkley was a waste of a draft pick and was hoping Coker could be a project BA could polish into something special. Doesn’t seem the Cards have ever been good at developing QBs (since Plummer)which is a little disappointing given we are suppose to have “the QB whisperer” on staff. I like Stanton who has proved to be a quality backup and will not be surprised if they just carry 2 QBs on the roster. Still, not much talent on the horizon! I was a little surprised that they didn’t give even a nibble at Nick Foles, but would rather see the money spent on Fitz’s extension.
    Now, Keim needs to work on paying Chandler Jones and Calais, Floyd is no Dez Bryant and I agree with JTDG.
    Good to see so much depth at Center, and while the 0-line is a work in progress, it is better than it’s been.

12. By Scott H on Aug 6, 2016 | Reply

JTDG –

I was kinda thinking the same about Bethel because…..it doesn’t seem like he is the front-runner we might have thought he was gonna be ( having been here last season ).. But he’s a heck of a ST player, so I think that helps his case somewhat.

And Floyd…..hmmmm…..first, you know me, I’m just glad to have Fitz locked up for another season, no matter what! Not sure what his extension has to do with Floyd, if anything at all. It does, as you say, MAYBE give them the option to part ways with Floyd after this year. But I hope they don’t.

However, if Floyd is really thinking about Dez Bryant money, then all I can say is he better spend 16 weeks this season showing he can play at that level for a whole season. And I hope he does. But if he just doesn’t quite reach the level we all think he can this year OR if he just prices himself right out of Arizona with his demands….then we still have Fitz here for 2017 as we move on.

It will, indeed, be interesting. But I love the extensions, too. Palmer has plenty left in the tank and has more talent around him than he ever has. I say, let’s ride this horse as far as we can. I think he EASILY has 3 more years left in him. Maybe more. Heck, does Brady show any signs of slowing down at his age??

13. By Scott H on Aug 6, 2016 | Reply

classy –

Interesting…..why do you say that the QB situation is somewhat worrisome with Palmer GETTING the extension?? Just me, but I actually think that makes the QB situation better because it eases the pressure a bit in terms of finding that QB of the future. As I’ve been saying, I think Palmer has at least 3 good years left in him ( good = healthy, able to play physically at a high level ).

Just me, but I think the extension eases the urgency to find our QB in the future in the coming draft ( if that urgency was even there in the first place ). If that QB just isn’t there, then we don’t have to reach for one ( yet).

This team is definitely in win now mode and I think these extensions are a CLEAR indication of that. I think it almost says, we’ll worry about finding a QB later – we want to WIN now! And I’m OK with that.

14. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

clssy –

Forgot, I had another question for ya….do you think the team will be able to keep Jones AND Campbell?? I wonder about that. If Jones has another year like he did in 2015….that man is gonna want to get PAID. And he WILL get paid, whether here or somewhere else. Jones is just entering his prime. CC is still playing at a very high level but has more miles on the odometer. You would think if they can only keep one of these guys….it would have to be Jones.

I’m glad to see the organization getting deals / extensions done NOW with the Honey Badger, Palmer and Fitz. Wonder if there will be anymore before the end of the 2016 season. We can hope. Maybe a deal with Campbell?

15. By clssylssy on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Scott…my “worries”/concerns have nothing to do with Palmer who I am pleased with, but more with regard to the dismal QB landscape in general and the Cards having nothing in the way of a future leader, as two years goes by in a blink of an eye. I think we are all in a “win now” frame of mind as we were last season. We now have rceived something of a “stay” with the extensions for Fitz and Palmer but, I’m still trying to shake off the unthinkable of a few seasons back when we had to make the playoffs without our QB or our backup! I like insurance and am one of those people who needs a backup plan and a plan for the backup! BA’s offense is not one that can be picked up by anyone off the street overnight even with the best supporting cast of players. Keim has done a great job of “Magyvering” a team by finding retired talent on short notice but there’s not a lot out there at QB.
    Would feel a little better if we at least had a decent prospect on the PS, I don’t see Barkley as that guy and you have indicated that you don’t either.

16. By Scott H on Aug 8, 2016 | Reply

clssy –

No, I definitely do NOT believe Barkley is that guy! I don’t even like him as our 3rd string QB.

17. By Ace Redbird on Aug 8, 2016 | Reply

—- cissyissy

Who would you like the CARDS to bring in as a 3rd string option at QB? Any QB that’s 3rd string is going to be VERY YOUNG, coming off a major injury, or will have less then 10 NFL starts under his belt!
    I think we have our 3rd string QB playing WR for us anyway! LOL. GREAT PASS FITZ! Also, a lot of fans don’t know this BUT PP21 has actually played some QB back in HS and that was less then 10 years ago!
    IN ALL SERIOUSNESS though, I do believe even if B.A. does decide to go with just 2 QB’s on the roster we have MEN on our CARDS Roster and a GREAT FLOCK of RB’s who have STARTED and done WELL in live NFL Games …. DJ and CJ, Ellington, and heck even Kerwynn have all done pretty darn well for themselves. So, if HEAVEN FORBID we did have to go to a 3rd option at QB we could just play SMASH MOUTH, 3 yards and a cloud of dust football.