Thoughts after the Red-White practice

Posted by Darren Urban on August 6, 2016 – 4:56 pm

Here we are after the Red-White practice, the annual first real break point of training camp. From here on out — save for the bye week — the Cardinals will have a football game every week. That starts this coming Friday with the preseason opener at home against Oakland.

But first, a few thoughts and analysis after the Red-White work, which featured a lot more live play than I was expecting. It was good to see real football again. I know Andre Ellington agrees.

— Among the “stars” Saturday was wide receiver Jaron Brown, who made several nice catches — including a 25-yard TD reception from Larry Fitzgerald on the WR option pass. Brown is one of those guys who could easily be with another team making more plays than he does in Arizona. He simply has too many talented guys ahead of him.

— Ellington also looked very good as a receiver. The Cards’ passing game looked pretty sharp all around.

— Calais Campbell and Chandler Jones caused havoc up front as the practice went on. Jones continues to show he will be a great pass rusher.

— Not a great sign considering both Carson Palmer and Bruce Arians have said short-yardage improvement is a priority, but during “live” play in the middle of the field Chris Johnson was stuffed for a loss on a fourth-and-1 run.

— And in the goal line “live” drill, the first-string offense failed to score in three tries. There was an incomplete play-action pass, and then David Johnson was swamped under on two other runs. Linebacker Kevin Minter got Johnson the first time (Minter had a smile about it, as you can see in the picture), while veteran DT Red Bryant led the charge to blow up the final attempt.

— The second-unit offense was more successful in goal line, scoring twice on runs by Chris Johnson and Elijhaa Penny.

— Despite all the hitting/tackling, no one seemed to get hurt, although guard Mike Iupati did go down on a play when it looked like someone rolled up on his legs. Iupati was able to get back in after one play though, so crisis averted.

— Crowd was estimated at 25,000.

— The Cards are off Sunday, and resume practice Monday.

MinterSmileUSE

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Thoughts after the Red-White practice”

1. By jason on Aug 6, 2016 | Reply

How was the fan turn out?

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Jason —

RE: Crowd

Was about 25,000 according to the team.

3. By texascard on Aug 6, 2016 | Reply

Good luck boys. May the force be with you

4. By Scott H on Aug 6, 2016 | Reply

Geez, I feel like any time I say anything about Floyd, I have to give the disclaimer that I love the guy and I hope he stays. BUT….if a new deal is not to be for Floyd after this year…..Jaron Brown will be a good man to have around.

Man, with guys like Jaron and Andre Ellington having a hard time getting the ball, it speaks volumes about the depth / talent on offense for this team. A couple of years ago, Ellington was the guy they HAD to get on the field more often. Suddenly, he’s ( probably ) 3rd on the RB depth chart and more of a change of pace / situational guy…..good “problem” to have!

5. By Don Short on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Darren, the problem with intra-squad scrimmages, any success by the offense is at the expense of the defense. And vice versa. You want to see both sides do well, but at the end of the day one unit would have had the better day. And if you had to declare a winner yesterday, would it have been the O or the D? Garth Short

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Garth —

RE: “Winner”

Hard to say. Definitely plenty of “wins” for both sides.

7. By Dynosoar on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

I’m so ready for football season to begin again.

I’m also good without scoring or with scoring in the red and white game, we don’t want to go all out and risk injury in an in-house scrimmage.

Here’s to the 32nd pick in the 2017 draft. I hope we make it that far, from what I saw last year and have seen so far this year, I like our chances.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Red and white;

Went out and watched the scrimmage.

Got to say, Jaron Brown was the guy who stood out the most to me. On the 25 yd td from Fitz, he used his body to create separation. Correct me if I am wrong, but he also aught a 80 yd TD off PP. He has got a lot better over the last two years and could be a starter on several teams in the NFL.

Oline was a concern.

Passing: So many times the defense would have sacked the QB (players instead just peal off and stop), but the play continued and a big play happened.

Run: There were no holes. Forget the short yardage, there was no running holes period. The cards have a great run defense. The offense had no chance.

Overall impression; this defense can be special. I was a little worried about players in the slot where the safety comes down but then I remembered Honey Badger will be back. Offense will gel together. Palmer and that great group of receivers, they will be just fine. I really like this team.

My biggest concern for opening day? We are small at LB and Safety. Our first game is against Gronk and Bennett, two big , talented TEs. I don’t think we have an answer for this except get to the QB before he can find these guys. Wish we had a bigger, rangier type LB like Dansby, Kiko Alonzo, or Jamie Collins. When you put 6′ Bucannon on 6’7″ Gronk, it is a huge mismatch.

9. By Phxbrd on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Hey Darren do you know where fans can see their pictures taken at the stadium with the green screen in the background?

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Phxbrd —

RE: Fan pics

They should be on the site by Monday afternoon.

11. By TLT on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Urb, couple Qs:
    1. Think Ellington will play some as slot receiver? Will Hubert make team?
    2. WHO makes the team on D-line, so deep? Can Peters or Rucker get cut? Hard to cut a vet there…
    Such problems to have.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

TLT —

RE: Questions

1. At times. No, but probably practice squad.
    2. Difficult questions. Can’t keep them all.

13. By shannon robinson on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Seems like a lot of Cardinal fans don’t like the Inside Linebackers, Buc is too little and Minter is too slow. Some people even denigrate The Centaur as being a bust. One is our leading tackler and the other calls our defense and stuffs the run. So what’s not to like?

14. By Richard S on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

I should be able to see the first pre-season game on TV since the Raiders are playing and they haven’t moved to Las Vegas yet. Of course they’ll have the Raiders announcers. I’m hyped for the season to begin and hyped up over 6 unwanted business phone calls today even though I’m on the Do Not Call list. They need to throw the business owners in prison, not some fictitious non-existent fine.

15. By jwcrupi on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Should anyone care about the 3rd string QB’s at this point? How do they compare? Seems they both came from good, successful programs… Coker may have a bigger upside IMHO, but curious on your thoughts?

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

jwcrupi —

RE: 3rd QB

The preseason games will say a lot. But Barkley is ahead of Coker. And I think there’s a strong chance the Cards keep two on the 53 and put a QB on the practice squad.

17. By Infitzwetrust on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Would it be safe to assume bethel as our cb2 to start ?

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Infitz —

RE: CB2

At this point, Brandon Williams is your starter. Bethel hasn’t been on a football field since the NFC Championship. Has to get healthy first.

19. By CARDS62 on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

JTDG and all other Cards Fans

Thank you for giving us your input from watching at practice. We fans on the east coast that can not get to practices really appreciate Darren’s input and also all of you fans. Glad Brown looked good. Did you notice Floyd at all? I do predict that Floyd will have a huge year for us because he is very talented and this is a contract year.

Like you I am worried about our o line and covering talented TEs and teams with talented receiving corps. Can not wait for the Raiders game.

Incredible happy about the Fitz and Palmer extensions. Front office do not envy their jobs this season, but they are doing a fantastic job so far. I hated the way Warner extension went last time with him visiting the 49ers.

Go Cards!

20. By Chris A on Aug 7, 2016 | Reply

Any video footage?

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2016 | Reply

Chris A —

RE: Red White video

22. By Ace Redbird on Aug 8, 2016 | Reply

So glad to hear no new injuries reported. OF COURSE Iupati was back in on the next play! That’s how PRO BOWL Offensive Lineman stay PRO BOWL Offensive Linemen, they SHOW UP one EVERY play! RIGHT VELDHEER? …. I do think that CC and Chandler are going to turn Veldheer into a PRO BOWL Left Tackle!
    Absolutely LOVING our WR play right now! SHOUT OUT to LIL SMOKE, that Chris Hubler can really fly! If I was a INJ WR right now I would be doing EVERYTHING under the sun to get back on the practice field!!!

Can’t wait to see how Def. Coordinator Bett cher ass I am BLITZING is going to use BOO CANNON, GOLDEN, MINTER, and of course JONES as his LB Corps this year! Going to be very scary as he was our LB Coach b4 he was our Defensive Coordinator, and (side note) could you even imagine if D-Washington hadn’t done drugs and slapped around his woman? The CANNON and the BADGER BOTH playing Safety? YIKES!!!

23. By Don on Aug 8, 2016 | Reply

Where do you see Rodney Gunter fitting in this year? Sarter? I thought this might be a situation where he really shows himself with all the playing time he received last year. I was hoping he would have a great camp and season. Have not heard a lot about him so far this camp.

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2016 | Reply

Don —

RE: Gunter

He’ll be in the mix. Could easily see him starting on the nose. Depends on where Peters is and who all makes the roster.

25. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 8, 2016 | Reply

Cards62;

Floyd looked like Floyd. He is a very good receiver and all eyes would be on him if Fitz wasn’t out there. But every time Fitz does something the crowd roars. Especially his pass to J Brown for the TD.

I think Floyd will have a solid season also.

Fans will hate me and get ready for thumbs down, but I don’t see anything special in Chris Hubert and can’t see any way he makes anything other than the practice squad at best. Lots of hype, but with Fitz, Floyd, Nelson, Brown and Brown, and then Golden, it’s too crowded.
    Plus, I kept watching him on punts, letting the ball drop in front of him. Thought Ted Ginn was back.

Don’t be surprised if you see 15 sacks by Chandler Jones this year.

Shocker – I have been very critical of the pick of Minter. But I do have to say he looks thinner and faster. Watching him come down hill in drills, he was real quick. I didn’t see him in coverage, but he is definitely thinner and quicker.

Not impressed with Branch. But he may have been out of position. They had him coming down on slot receivers and he was getting beat. Of course, the cards have Alan Ball and Mike Jenkins, along with the Rookie Williams and Bethel. Hopefully, if one can claim the job outside, the other can claim the nickle back.

Alan Ball had an INT he ran back for a TD. Not sure if it was Coker or Barkley, but at this point , who cares.

Tony Jefferson looks good in coverage and I like his aggressiveness.

On the 80 yard td pass to Jaron Brown from Palmer, he beat PP and Branch was late getting over. I didn’t know Jaron Brown had that kind of speed. As for PP, not worried, not sure he goes 100% on every play in practice. In a game, he will be ready to shut down.

QBs – There is Palmer, then a drop off and then Stanton, Then a huge drop off to Barkley and Coker. I mean huge. I can’t see either guy making the team. Scott H, you will be happy to know, Barkley is bad. Coker is worse. Neither guy can help us at all. I agree with Darren that the cards will carry 2 QBs.

Oline, needs work. Especially the run game.

Defense is ready to feast. Just need the Badger back.

26. By Scott H on Aug 8, 2016 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Barkley is bad

YES! Thank you. Finally, somebody else besides myself and Clssylssy is saying it!

And, please, let’s not use the “T” word ( Tedd Ginn ). I swear, I will hold my grudge against him for at least the next 20 years ( with an option for another 20 ).

2. Aug 8, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Larry Fitzgerald tackling, ranked