Arians: Practice got sloppy (and Niklas’ name)

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2016 – 12:23 pm

It’s that time of camp, Bruce Arians said.

It’s that time when players get a little bored, and no matter what the warning from the top, it shows up on the field. So Arians was irritated with the Cardinals’ practice Monday after a Sunday off.

“It hits you right in the face when you put the sheet up there and there are 18 penalties and 45 mental errors,” Arians said, noting that there were “some veteran Pro Bowlers who had five mental errors.”

Arians was confident the Cards would respond well later Tuesday, but lamented the fact Monday’s was practice time the Cards won’t be able to get back.

“I’m disappointed with leadership of the team, because that’s their job,” Arians said.

— WR J.J. Nelson (groin) is returning to practice, but Swiss Army knife OL Earl Watford is out after bruising his knee Monday (it actually looked like it could have been worse, although Watford didn’t miss a play) and CB Cariel Brooks (quad) is also out for now.

— Arians thinks WR Smokey Brown (concussion) will be cleared in the next day or two, but the coach ruled Brown out from playing Friday night.

— There is a chance DBs Tyrann Mathieu and Justin Bethel could come off PUP next week. But Arians said if they are not ready to take part in the two practices against the Chargers, the team will probably hold off.

— Current frontrunner for quote of camp: Arians said TE Troy Niklas has been playing well, playing like the guy the Cards drafted in the second round in 2014. About this, Niklas was happy. Always good to hear the boss is pleased. “He gets my name confused with dumb mother(expletive) a lot,” Niklas said with a smile.

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “Arians: Practice got sloppy (and Niklas’ name)”

1. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 9, 2016 | Reply

It’s now or never for Niklas. I wonder if he’s also one of those players who Arians said couldn’t count if they had a job flipping burgers because they weren’t good enough for the NFL.

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2016 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Niklas

Honestly, Arians has always sounded optimistic about Niklas whenever he has talked about him, mostly disappointed he was always injured.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 9, 2016 | Reply

Talking about the raider game, here is what I would like to see from the cards.

1. a pass rush – I think, even if they play a series or two, I want to see pressure.

2. the cards ability to run the ball. We know they can throw, and we can do it all day, but we need to get this Oline to gel and open holes.

3. coverage by CBs not named Peterson – looking forward to seeing the secondary, especially Williams step up against Cooper and Crabtree.

4. Stanton to get reps and be sharp. Hopefully we will never need him, but if we do, he needs the work.

5. Would like to see a play action pass for a TD to a TE.

6. And most important, no injuries. Don’t care about a win, just no injuries.

4. By cardsbaby on Aug 9, 2016 | Reply

That is hilarious. I love BAs straightforward attitude. Damn that’s funny.

5. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2016 | Reply

JTDG –

Speaking of wanting to see a pass rush, here’s what I DO NOT want to see – the Raiders and Mack pounding Palmer like they did last pre-season. I remember that being a little scary. I remember that looking like their pass rush was getting entirely too much pressure on our QB. So….given that we know the Raiders can bring it, I want to see our O-line do a better job of protection. I’d like to see Palmer having outlets to go to quickly and finding them. And ain’t nothing wrong with throwing it away. It’s the first pre-season game. We don’t need a devastating QB injury because of holding the ball too long, trying to make something happen.

That said, yes, I want to see our pass rush looking sharp and scary as well.

6. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 10, 2016 | Reply

Scott H

Mack and company;

Exactly why I say work on the run game. Don’t do 7 step drops in the first preseason game. I don’t care if we dont throw anything deep with Palmer.
    Run the ball, play action to a TE or back, hit quick slants and get off the field.

7. By Dr. G. on Aug 11, 2016 | Reply

Laughing so hard at Niklas’ comment…can’t even tipe…er…type….!!!

8. By Dr. G. on Aug 11, 2016 | Reply

Jtdg – – Yep…for sure on the quick crossing and slants for passing… But we know BA’s penchant is over the top a lot. Fitz has done well crossing even though he resisted at first. I always like the long ball, but the smurfs can’t prevent int’s on an errant pass.

More of what you suggest in the regular season is a good formula for grinding opponents into submission. The Pats have done this year after year with what seems average talent and only a couple stars…later

2. Aug 9, 2016: Cardinals TE: Arians gets 'my name confused with dumb mother(expletive)' | Live Featured
  3. Aug 9, 2016: Cardinals TE getting on Arians' (expletive) good side - NFL Feeds To The Fans
  4. Aug 10, 2016: Cardinals TE getting on Arians’ (expletive) good side | Football and Soccer News Games Results Scores Transfers