Keim: No signings, but maybe a trade?

Posted by Darren Urban on August 15, 2016 – 8:52 am

Since training camp started, there was the possibility — given the inexperience of right tackle D.J. Humphries, and in total, the inexperience of every tackle on the roster not named Jared Veldheer — the Cardinals would bring in a veteran tackle to shore the position up. The Cards have already done that at cornerback, although rookie Brandon Williams has been basically unchallenged for a starting role. Mike Jenkins got hurt, and Alan Ball hasn’t done anything to change the equation (and Justin Bethel remains on PUP.)

After a first preseason game where both Humphries and Williams had rocky moments, might that change? General Manager Steve Keim said no. And he’s got a good reason.

“There’s nobody on the waiver wire that has these guys’ skillset,” Keim said bluntly on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. “Unless you can tell me somebody we can find out there, I mean, we’re always looking at the waiver wire to try and improve this team and we’ll be aggressive and pro-active. But when you take 90 (men on a roster) and times it by 32 (teams), you tell me who’s out there, and when you look at who’s out there, why are they out there.”

Now, that might and very well could change once cuts start coming. But for now, pickings are slim.

On the other hand, Keim reiterated he and Chargers GM Tom Telesco will get together this week when the Cards and Chargers have their joint practices and discuss the two rosters, each team’s deficiencies, “in hopes where we can talk about, ‘Hey, is there an area where we can help each other improve?’ ”

Maybe that could mean a trade.

Tags: , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Keim: No signings, but maybe a trade?”

1. By Robert on Aug 15, 2016 | Reply

after watching humphries and williams playing oakland, there is no doubt that Keim is going to make a trade for a RT. we have a few D linemen and receivers the chargers might be interested in,as a result of no BOSA. It is TOOOO risky to start the season with Humphries or Williams. Heck he might get 15 passes thrown his way..your too inexperienced… Also i still don’t like our center. I thought the rookie C Boehm played really well. If AQ couldn’t beat out our center last year, well, enough said. Finally, I STILL do not like Buchanan playing ILB at 215 lbs. SOme teams will try and be successful power running against him. Finally I like number 60, McClain RG..last year, i thought he had the best preseason for an Olinemen. Also i said our LT played like crap last year, now he admitts it and is back up to 330. Maybe he can return to his ALL PRO form a few years back.

2. By luisroc on Aug 15, 2016 | Reply

Cromartie is still out there, I wouldn’t mind seeing some preseason play out of him and seeing if he can still play. With bethel and mike Jenkins injured, it be nice to bring in a vet, at least to see how he does during preseason. Last year we brought in chris Johnson(who also played for the jets before signing) because of injuries to our rbs and that worked out great! I would much rather see Cromartie out there trying out than to have Jenkins injured already. Haven’t heard much about a.ball. cro has had success as a cardinal and I think he will again. I’d say try him out during preseason!

3. By Andy Kw on Aug 15, 2016 | Reply

Our DL is deep. The Chargers have a poor run D with Joey Bosa refusing to sign his rookie contract and they do have one backup OT that we could trade for.

Trade DT Ed Stinson & 2017 6th Rd Pick for OT Chris Hairston

4. By anthony on Aug 15, 2016 | Reply

After watching Williams get burned time and time again, Even by 2nd tier receivers, the cards need to add another corner for sure. Give the Cro another shot.

5. By D on Aug 15, 2016 | Reply

K. Wiggins, SD G/T. He has only started 8 games in his career, but that is 8 more games than the Cards current OL backups and starting RT.

6. By andystandsup on Aug 15, 2016 | Reply

Chargers need safety help. Cards OL assistance.
    Tony Jefferson and draft pick for DJ Fluker that’s moved to guard, but failing. Right tackle is his natural position.

7. By creditcard on Aug 15, 2016 | Reply

Cards are deep at DL and safety.

DJ Fluker for Rucker. Frees up a pinch of cap space and churns an older player for a younger player. for whatever reason, the Cards have not been good at developing OL players.

8. By CARDS62 on Aug 15, 2016 | Reply

Darren

Can you explain to me the big deal about why the Chargers and Bosa can not get their rookie deal done? My understanding is everything is agreed to, except when he receives a portion of his signing bonus. Why is this a big deal for the player and team?

Really would like to see our oline tested, but of course Raiders like us will only play starters a few plays in game one, now no Bosa for joint practices or the game, and no JJ Watt for game 3, and of course very little starters in game 4 so I am worried we will not know what we have at o-line until the Patriot game.

Go Cards!

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

Cards62 —

RE: Bosa

I don’t know exact details but essentially, the Chargers want to spread out paying his signing bonus and he wants it up front.

10. By Brandon on Aug 15, 2016 | Reply

Cro isn’t coming back. He’s done.

11. By clssylssy on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

It looks like Keim is 0-2 for finding us a vet corner & although Cromartie would make the most sense & our best option, I dont see that happening. I HOPE there is no trade involving key members of our already shaky secondary, getting some unknown in just because he’s “younger” can only add to the problem as our defense is too complicated to just step into. Cro knows our defense and did very good for us, out playing Peterson often. I suspect there was money at issue(translates to respect to players) and therein lies the real rub.
    I think Evan Boehm is going to be good in time, it’s a complicated position but he’s extremely smart and is physical as well.
    Im starting to get the impression that things have soured for Bethel which makes our special teams also vulnerable.
    Sure hope to see a more energized and focused effort this week–maybe the thought of flipping burgers will sink in!

12. By kenny on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

Hey everybody perhaps someone could explain to me why 1st thing 1st we let all those quality q/bs get away when we could have easily got them meaning BRIDGEWATER and BORTLES and TAYLOR for the BILLS. Also as we all know our previous line coach I believe was RUSS GRIMM and he was garbage and who ever has taken over the o line duties the last couple of years has been every bit as bad . In closing our punt return team is still one of the worst in the game and for some un known reason our scouting department continues to be praised and in truth they have much to be desired. In closing I am out of the game now and used to coach on a high school level and in closing I am the guy who bashed are scouting department for guys such as HUMPRIES, COOPER AND more so for throwing away are draft picks on LOGAN THOMAS AND BRIAN SWOOPE. Guys lets get real we need some one who knows how to go out and get talent as it is evident we have not a clue how to draft.

13. By Brad Baker on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

Someone please tell me “kenny” is joking.

14. By clssylssy on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

I just got an alert that Brandon Williams is set to be our starting corner b/che had impressed Palmer & Fitz! I find that hard to believe & that must mean just for this week???

15. By Scott H on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

kenny –

The mind is a terrible thing to waste, dude. And you are on your way, my friend.

I’m not trying to explain anything to you. But I AM wondering where you were before Bortles and Bridgewater and Taylor were drafted. Because it’s so easy to say we should have picked THOSE guys AFTER they’be been drafted and played and shown they are legit. You are just playing Monday morning QB know-it-all when you clearly don’t know much at all.

You reached legit idiot status when you referred to Russ Grimm as garbage, so….forgive me if I don’t know what else you said after that. I couldn’t read any more.

16. By Flav71 on Aug 17, 2016 | Reply

Scott h I’m with Kenny , I belief we have wasted a lot of good draft picks on terrible picks and I believe that we will soon be adding Williams to that list !

17. By CARDS62 on Aug 17, 2016 | Reply

Flav71 – Brandon Williams has played 1 NFL game in his life and even recovered a fumble and you are ready to classify him as a bust??????? You know he was the 92nd player selected in the draft and he earned a start in his first game don’t you. Kid was also playing on special teams for us. I currently classify him as being a huge overachiever early in his career.

I have to admit I was not expecting this selection in the draft and I did not know his game in college, plus of course I do not know if he will be a star corner for us or not, but cmon man lets give the rookie some time to become a player for us. Hopefully our injured dbs return for us so we will have more options.

Our first round pick last year, knee deep, was never out of the dog house last year and not active for 1 game, and we did not write Humphries off, so lets give Williams our support and hope he does become a star, or at the very least lets give him a chance to learn the position and our defense.

Go Cards!

2. Aug 17, 2016: 8/17 Morning Mighty: Chargers & Cardinals host joint practice at Qualcomm Stadium | Mighty1090AM
  3. Aug 22, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Keim: “Good chance” Nkemdiche plays Sunday