Long snapper battle and a Leach sighting

Posted by Darren Urban on August 16, 2016 – 8:45 am

The Cardinals are still looking for their long snapper, although their former long snapper is still around — at least right now.

Mike Leach, who retired in the offseason, was at the Cardinals’ preseason opener Friday night and helped this week at practice the Cardinals’ pair of undrafted rookies who are trying to claim his vacant job — Kam Canaday and Daniel Dillon. Leach was around the team some during OTAs this offseason as well, and even though he and his family have moved back east in retirement, it says something about Leach that he wants to help the Cardinals in their quest to replace him.

“Having him there … coaches will tell (players) something but when you have a guy who’s done it for 16 years, they listen a little better,” coach Bruce Arians said.

Canaday and Dillon — roomates and now close friends — will get the balance of the preseason to earn the job over the other. There was nothing remarkable about either’s work in the Raiders game, which for a long snapper is a good thing. If you don’t notice them, they are doing the job.

“It’s a heck of a battle,” Arians said. “(I will) feel very comfortable with one of them.”

LeachCoachUSE

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “Long snapper battle and a Leach sighting”

1. By erik on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I did not notice, but do you know if Watford did any long snapping in the Oakland game? I know he is working on it and I think that would be the ideal situation. This team is so deep, I think it would be a shame to use a roster spot on a guy who only does one specific thing.

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

Erik —

RE: Watford

Watford is injured. He did not play.

He is not a candidate to long snap.

3. By LadyBird04 on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

Surprised it took this long to have Mike Leach come in and help the two rookies. We’ll surely miss him and the almost perfect snaps year-in year-out. Hope he can make real improvement on the snapping of these young men. I thought I saw a couple of long snaps that went high/wide in the pre-season game. I’m not sure which rookie pitched them.

Wonder how Mike likes coaching?

4. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    Will the cards bring any competition for Cat man and Butler? I know Cat man missed his 41 yarder. Butler’s punts was okay but I think bringing in competition wouldn’t hurt?

Cant wait for the season to start!! watched all or nothing three times already !!!

GO CARDS!!

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: ST competition

I don’t see a new kicker coming. There is another punter here: Garrett Swanson.

6. By Jacob on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

Questions-
    Who will be the cards second and third string for QB
    I would like to see Jake Coker play back up for Palmer
    From what I saw Matt Barkley was not the best.
    I would leave Jake Coker for back up for Palmer do something
    Like what the packers did with Aaron Rodgers. Leave
    Jake Coker behind a good QB for one or two years and when
    Palmer leaves make Jake starter

7. By erik on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

*Face Palm* Duh! I can’t believe I forgot Watford is injured.

I probably missed something else, but why do you say Watford is not an option at long snapper? I heard he has been practicing it and I heard him in a radio interview where he basically said the coaches are making him do it. Was he so bad that they pulled the plug on that already?

8. By Kevin S Mesa on Aug 16, 2016 | Reply

Jacob —

You’re comparing Jake Coker’s situation to Aaron Rodgers? Rodgers was a candidate to be the #1 pick… he ended up falling to #24, but he was still a first-rounder. Coker wasn’t even drafted. 15 QB’s were drafted in 2016, including a few most of us had never heard of. You think a guy that was passed over in favor of Jeff Driskel from La. Tech and Brandon Doughty from WKU is our QB of the future?

Yeah, I know… Brady was a late-rounder and Warner and Romo were undrafted. But the likelihood that Coker is going to even make the roster is slim. Starter in a few years? Even less likely.

9. By Fightingbird on Aug 17, 2016 | Reply

How long will the first team play this Friday against the chargers.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2016 | Reply

Fightingbird —

RE: First team

I’d anticipate about 16-20 plays.