Fitz: Contract about keeping good thing going

Posted by Darren Urban on August 24, 2016 – 12:22 pm

The recent contract Larry Fitzgerald signed — keeping the wide receiver in Arizona in 2017, assuming he is still playing — wasn’t something he was looking for, but he emphasized that winning and the Cardinals’ ability to win played a role.

“It wasn’t my idea,” Fitzgerald said. “I didn’t go and stand on Steve (Keim)’s table and asked for an extension. If that’s what you’re asking, that wasn’t the case. I’m down for whatever is going to keep this thing going as long as we can.

“As you know, it goes in spurts in this league. A while back we had some teams that were pretty good, had a couple down years, and now we’re at that point where we have a really good thing going. We have a good mesh of older veteran guys and a mesh of good younger guys like Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu and Chandler Jones, D.J. Humphries. That’s a great blend to have.”

That wouldn’t be the only reason Fitz would want to play in 2017, but at this point in his career, it’s a must-have.

Other lunchtime stuff after a day off:

— WR Smokey Brown (headache) might not practice this afternoon. With Brown coming off a concussion, it’s something to watch.

— Fitzgerald isn’t practicing because of the slight MCL issue in his knee, but he waved off any concern. “I’m good,” he said. “I could probably go out there and be effective and do my job, but a setback now with less than two weeks to go would be less than ideal. I want to do what I can to help my team now but obviously Sept. 11 is when it really hits the fan.”

— QB Carson Palmer is getting a day off today. The injury list is pretty short right now, though. A good sign.

— Coach Bruce Arians shrugged off the idea the offense needs to get into a rhythm in a preseason game. “Not really,” he said. “I see it enough in practice.”

— Arians wouldn’t comment on the report he will be named the NFL’s competition committee. “Hasn’t been announced yet,” he said.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “Fitz: Contract about keeping good thing going”

1. By TLT fka DTL on Aug 24, 2016 | Reply

“Coach Bruce Arians shrugged off the idea the offense needs to get into a rhythm in a preseason game. “Not really,” he said. “I see it enough in practice.”

B-Train drew interesting analogy of this Cards team to ’87 (I think) Bears: 1-3 preseason, 15-1 regular, rolled thru SB… hmmmn…

2. By Richard S on Aug 24, 2016 | Reply

Boldin who came in before Fitz is still playing, so Fitz certainly has another year in him. Both of those receivers had the best hands. The best catch I ever saw though was Ricky Proehl, a behind the back one hand grab.

3. By Richard S on Aug 24, 2016 | Reply

The best pick I ever saw was on Football Follies or some similar site. I think it was Larry Wilson blitzing and the Quarterback lined up behind the guard to take the snap and the center snapped the ball up in the air and Wilson took the ball out of the air and headed for the end zone. That was almost as good as the unassisted triple play by no one that I heard happened. Runners on first and second, ball popped up on the infield. Runner on first runs past the runner on second. Infield fly rule I think was called and then the ball hit the runner returning to second base.

4. By Scott H on Aug 25, 2016 | Reply

Larry sticking around to keep this train-a-rollin’ is a very good thing.

Coach, I have to disagree with you – I think we DO need to see this offense get into a rhythm and put some points on the board in this game. Too big of a difference between a game and practice.

5. By Scott H on Aug 25, 2016 | Reply

To continue my previous post ( got interrupted….hate when that happens in the middle of a post! Seriously, what is WRONG with people?? Don’t they know we’re trying to win a SB here??? ) I don’t mind – sometimes – when a coach tells you one thing but is almost certainly thinking another. And I think that is the case here with BA. The fact that he was pissed after how the team played last week suggests there is no way he is satisfied with “seeing it enough in practice.” Um….I think not.

Even if he IS seeing it enough in practice, it don’t mean squat if it’s not happening on the field during the games. As the immortal Allen Iverson once said – We’re talkin’ ’bout practice. I think we need to see it during THIS game, against a real opposing defense….and a pretty good one, at that.

And if we don’t? I think we’re gonna see more than a shrug from BA. I know the players will, that’s for damn sure.

6. By mitchaz on Aug 25, 2016 | Reply

Had the chance to listen to Carson Palmer’s presser yesterday. He was asked a number of questions about the team and a few of his answers were very reflective of the type of culture Michael Bidwill, Steve Keim and Bruce Arians have been trying very assiduously to foster.

When asked who was the loudest talker in the locker room, Palmer thought long and hard. He said that the team really doesn’t have that loud-mouth trash talker who draws all the attention to himself. When pressed further for an answer Palmer said, “Maybe Tony (Jefferson), but he’s really toned it down this year.”

Then he said the biggest talker in the locker room is “Calais.”

Palmer said that Calais is always mixing it up around the room and talking all the guys up—and then Palmer issued a caveat, “But it’s never about himself.”

When asked about what it feels like to be picked to win it it all by Sports Illustrated—Palmer conceded that “It’s flattering.” But, again, came forth the caveat: “We don’t pay much attention to those things—we know that we have so much work to do.”

Sometimes when players give stock answers like these, they come across as being a tad programmed or disingenuous.

But, Palmer, like so many of the Cardinals, is so deeply ensconced in the daily process that when he talks of all the work they need to do, he means it and embraces it.

When asked about the first team offense’s struggles the first two pre-season games, Palmer talked about the thousands of snaps and reps the offense has had in training camp thus far as opposed to the 25 or so they’ve had in the pre-season games—and he avowed that “we are making a ton of progress, especially on third downs and red zone plays.”

While Bruce Arians has assembled the deepest coaching staff the Cardinals have ever had, a significant part of BA’s modus operandi is to encourage the players to take full ownership of the team. That’s the mark of an effective and wise teacher. The goal is to make the players autonomous. After all, they are the ones playing the game.

One might imagine then how proud BA was to watch the tape of the Cardinals’ first practice with the Chargers knowing that he was in the hospital and his players were forging on just as their head coach would want and expect them to.

One gets the sense that if the coaches wanted to take a week off—the players would not only keep the status quo in practice, they might even exceed it.

The most significant thing that Carson Palmer said at his press conference yesterday was:

“Our best players are our hardest workers.”

Think about that.

Think of who the best players are on the Cardinals—

Is Palmer correct?

There is no question—

He mentioned Pat P. and the Honey Badger—

And there’s a guy he didn’t even have to mention because he’s so obvious:

Larry Fitzgerald.

The example of dedication and hard work that Larry Fitzgerald has given year after year to the Cardinals’ organization is largely responsible for the transformation of the Cardinals’ culture.

The Cardinals’ organization, led by Michael Bidwill, Steve Keim and Bruce Arians has made it their mission to fill their roster with men of high character, dedication, autonomy, leadership and diligence.

BA’s colloquial term for it, “We want gym rats. Guys who love the game.”

That’s right—“The best players are the hardest workers.”

That’s when you know the team culture is in the right hands.

7. By shannon robinson on Aug 26, 2016 | Reply

Mitchaz, A Tip of the Cardinals’ Wing to you for describing the ‘pulse’ of our team as a Fan. Well Done! No Risk It, No Biscuit. I keep singin’ that Darn Song.