Friday before the Texans, as #CardsCamp ends

Posted by Darren Urban on August 26, 2016 – 4:11 pm

Training camp is over. Bruce Arians was happy with it and major injuries were avoided (although Arians was a little incredulous that was brought up Friday.) Now they head to Houston for the third preseason game against the Texans as the offense in particular tries to have a consistent outing.

First, though, a look back at camp. Arians said the only starting job still undecided is the cornerback spot opposite Patrick Peterson. That means, barring someone from the outside, both D.J. Humphries and A.Q. Shipley have solidified their jobs as right tackle and center, respectively. As for the cornerback, it feels like it’ll be tough for Bethel or Mike Jenkins to dislodge Brandon Williams unless it comes quickly. Jenkins would have to completely outplay the others to get the nod, because if it’s close, the Cards figure to go young when they can.

It was a long camp, but there was the week in San Diego, and we’ll see if Arians can make good on his wish to practice against two different teams in training camp 2017. But that’s a long way off.

— Arians said there were no surprises other than the guys already talked about. That includes wide receiver Chris Hubert, tight end Troy Niklas, Jenkins of late, even rookie guard Cole Toner, who held up when he took first team reps during those days when Mike Iupati and Antoine McClain were hurt.

— Speaking of which, here are azcardinals.com’s “awards” for training camp.

— Fourth-string QB Jake Coker, who has struggled in practice, won’t make the trip to Houston because of a sore knee. But Arians indicated Coker will make the first round of cuts Monday since he said Coker would be back for the Broncos’ game next week. Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton will get the chunk of the work against the Texans. We’ll see how much Matt Barkley does to finish up.

— Arians guesstimated there are about eight roster spots not yet determined, for about 20 different players. Not sure if that includes the very specific long-snapper job, for which Cam Kanaday and Daniel Dillon remain close.

— Palmer, talking about the length of the four-game preseason: “I’m torn on it.”

“You need those games to see who you want on your team,” Palmer said. {You can’t just do it in practice. It has to be in live tackling situations and special teams and all those things.”

The fourth game against Denver, of course, will have most of the Cardinals’ key players sitting out altogether. That’s why the Texans game looms large for the main players on the roster in terms of a tune-up.

— Earl Watford, who banged up his knee pretty good a couple of weeks ago, has been back at practice. His is an important situation, because he figures to make the team as the sixth offense lineman, able to play any position when he is active on game day. Arians said he wants to see Watford have one more “solid week” of practice, especially at tackle. Why is that important? Because there is still a chance it will be Watford who would be the replacement tackle if Veldheer or Humphries gets hurt.

— Anxious to see Robert Nkemdiche in his first game Sunday. He can be good, it looks like. How quickly he can be good is up to him.

EndCampBlog

Tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Friday before the Texans, as #CardsCamp ends”

1. By shane on Aug 26, 2016 | Reply

Here’s too not over reacting to what happens Sunday or in the preseason in general ! good or bad … smh lol

2. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 27, 2016 | Reply

Do you agree with the Camp Awards? Not sure I do.

Most improved – Troy Niklas??
    While he is looking good, how could it not go to Humphries? Went from not dressing out to starter.

Camo MVP – Jaron Brown
    I think I would be on board with this. The guy has been very good this year. So good, that big Floyd contract might not be needed.

Biggest Surprise – Chris Hubert ??
    OK, I am not in camp, but the kid has disappeared in games. I think for me, how about Swearinger? I think most were surprised he is the starter at SS. Another surprise is Cole Toner. Did anyone think he would even have a chance to make the team. Now I am hearing this guy could develop eventually into a productive player.

Best comeback – Honey Badger??
    Uhhh, I love Tyrann. One of my favorite players, but not sure he has comeback yet, definitely not in camp. Maybe Momah or Chris Johnson might be better choices but I get it.

Best Rookie – Brandon Williams
    Well Nkemdiche has been injured all camp and Williams is battling to start (which could make him biggest surprise also), so i guess it makes sense. I was surprised with Christian as he has shown he could eventually be a player, Toner has done well. Disappointed in Boehm. Really expected he could compete againt Shipley and it was no contest.

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Awards

I had a say, and yes, I agreed with them. Swearinger has been running first team, because of Mathieu, since the offseason started. Tough to be a surprise with that. Humphries the same. From everything I’ve heard and talked about with coaches, they insisted Humphries would be fine. I did not hear the same about Niklas.

4. By Cheese on Aug 27, 2016 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Any word on John Brown and how he’s recovering/has he recovered yet from the concussion. That sucker lingering this long is a little worrisome.

Cheese

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2016 | Reply

Cheese, James —

RE: Brown

He practiced limited Thursday and Friday. I would doubt he will play Sunday.

6. By James on Aug 28, 2016 | Reply

Is John Brown still in concussion protocol? Any idea when he will be back?

7. By texascard on Aug 28, 2016 | Reply

I hope no cardinals support kaepernick. I hope he gets cut.

8. By Richard S on Aug 28, 2016 | Reply

Good, the game appears to be nationally televised on Fox with big name announcers. So we’ll get it out here in Northern California. The Cards have this Pat Tillman statue outside their stadium. I wonder if the Niners might put up a Kap statue outside their new stadium with him sitting on his rump.