No rush for “mindful” Tyrann Mathieu

Posted by Darren Urban on August 26, 2016 – 8:38 am

All along, Tyrann Mathieu has preached patience.

The safety has been encouraged with his progress coming back from his ACL tear, and still hopes to be on the field when the Cardinals play the Patriots Sept. 11. But as good as Mathieu has done in practice, he is clearly cautious.

“I wouldn’t say I’m ready to play a full game,” Mathieu said. “I still feel like I have a ways to go.”

Mathieu recently estimated himself around 80 percent, and this summer, talked about how he wanted to be 100 percent before playing, with a nod to how much he struggled at the outset of the 2014 season when he was coming off another (albeit much worse) ACL tear. Coach Bruce Arians said there is still a chance for the PUP guys — Mathieu, cornerback Justin Bethel and defensive tackle Frostee Rucker — could play in Houston Sunday. As for Mathieu in particular, he is “not necessarily cutting it loose” in practice, Arians said. “I’d like to see him in game action, but that doesn’t mean I have to see him.”

Listening to Mathieu, an appearance now seems doubtful. Realistically, this would be the one opportunity — it’s hard to imagine someone at the top of the roster playing in the fourth preseason game, much less someone coming off a significant injury.

“Your passion tends to override being mindful of where you are at in your recovery,” Mathieu said. “As long as I stay mindful of that, as long as people around me stay mindful of that, I think I’ll be all right.”

UPDATE: Mathieu did not practice Friday, but Arians said he expected the three PUP players to play “10, maximum 12 plays.”

MathieuPlayBlog

Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “No rush for “mindful” Tyrann Mathieu”

1. By texascard on Aug 26, 2016 | Reply

It is paramount that 32 is healthy for playoff run to reach goal of Super Bowl champion.

2. By Scott H on Aug 26, 2016 | Reply

No, there is no rush Tyrann…..just get back as soon as you can!

3. By John the Draft Guy on Aug 26, 2016 | Reply

No need to see Honey Badger. Let’s wait a couple more weeks.

On a different note, The Bosa deal in San Diego is getting nasty. What is going on there? Isn’t most of the contracts set at the spot picked?

To take it a step further, could this be the SD trade they were talking about?
    Golden, another player, draft pick, whatever for Bosa?
    Got to say, the thought of Chandler Jones and Joey Bosa off the edges and Campbell and Nkemdichi inside, sure would make our Cbs job a lot easier.

Just saying, a phone call can’t hurt.

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Bosa

Bosa isn’t getting traded. And he’ll sign at some point. They always do.

5. By Scott H on Aug 26, 2016 | Reply

Just give me the Honey Badger coming out of the tunnel on Sunday Night, Week One, when the Cardinals introduce their defense. How jacked up will that stadium be at that moment???

As much as I love the LA-RRY chant, I think intro’ing the defense is the way to go that night, IF Tyrann is ready to go.

We will hear the LA-RRY chant later when he scores his first TD of the season.

6. By Richard S on Aug 26, 2016 | Reply

Today’s ESPN.com has highlites of the epic battle between Jay Gruden and Kurt Warner in Arena Bowl X.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2016 | Reply

Richard S —

RE: AreneBowl X

Disappointed it wasn’t Hunkie Cooper vs. Warner in ArenaBowl XI.

(P.S. Yes, I covered that game as a Rattlers beat writer at the time.)

2. Aug 28, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Fitzgerald, Mathieu, Peterson to sit out Texans