Jenkins tears ACL, and Smokey’s comeback

Posted by Darren Urban on August 29, 2016 – 12:48 pm

The first round of cuts are coming soon, but a few quick tidbits from Bruce Arians’ press conference today:

— CB Mike Jenkins tore his right ACL. He will go on injured reserve and is out for the season.

— WR Smokey Brown has had two days of being headache-free. That’s a step in the right direction, but it was without exercise. We’ll see how quickly he can return to full practice.

— Rookie Kam Canaday has won the long-snapper job over Danny Dillon, Arians said.

— RB Stepfan Taylor is out a week-to-10 days with a knee bruise.

— QB Jake Coker may need arthroscopic surgery on his knee, Arians said. The plan is for Matt Barkley to play the entire fourth preseason game if that happens. The Broncos have said the plan is for their No. 1 draft pick, Paxton Lynch, to play the entire game at quarterback against the Cardinals.

— Arians said he expects safety Tyrann Mathieu to be ready to go Sept. 11 against the Patriots, although he likely won’t play against the Broncos.

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “Jenkins tears ACL, and Smokey’s comeback”

1. By Scott H on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

Well, I’m not sure what we really had in Jenkins or if Jenkins was going to the answer for anything. But I am pretty sure it is not good that we don’t have him anymore. Our defensive backfield is looking very shaky right now. Surely, there will be players available as cuts get made, but….anyone that really offers anything at the 11th hour?? Doubtful there will be any Antonio Cromartie’s ( the version we had in 2014 ) available at this point. But we could sure use one of those!

We better hope the pass rush is massively improved from last year. Because our secondary looks like it needs all the help it can get.

2. By D on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

I worry about Smokey.

I wonder if Mr. Keim will kick the tires on B. Browner at CB. He isn’t the player he used to be but it sure would add more intensity against the Seachickens if that’s possible.

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

D —

RE: Browner

Isn’t the player he used to be? Might be the understatement of the year.

4. By MostlyRight on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

RE: Browner

Would we really want a guy who will surely be targeted a ton opposite Peterson who draws a flag on almost every single play he’s involved in? Exaggerating of course but not much.

5. By Big T on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

see ya Jenk

6. By Scott H on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

Not directly related, but I see elsewhere on the web-site where BOTH Palmer INT’s from yesterday are described as having been tipped. WHAT?? I say absolutely NOT. Yes, the first one was tipped, it changed the direction of the ball, and….OK. The second one?? Absolutely not. Yeah, the Texan who made the INT and took it back for the TD tipped it – right to himself. But there was no one between him the ball. Palmer threw it right at him. The guy basically put his hand up to stop the ball and it fell right back to him for an easy INT. IMHO, that is NOT a tipped pass.

C’mon, folks. We saw the game. That was just an awful throw by Palmer and I think BA’s reaction to Palmer as he comes to the sidelines shows that he is thinking the same. Balls that get tipped at the line of scrimmage by defensive players trying to make a play on the ball are one thing. They are not always the fault of the QB. Sometimes defensive players just do what they get paid to do and they make plays. That happens.

This one? No. Palmer threw the ball right AT this defender. How he didn’t see him….I couldn’t tell ya. The guy still made a good play on the ball but the play was not a fluke. Our QB made a BAD mistake there. Call it a bad decision, call it a bad throw, doesn’t matter. It still went the other way for a TD. Took us from maybe tying the game or taking the lead to a 10-point deficit. Those plays KILL you against teams good enough to make you pay for them.

7. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

After Sunday’s game, don’t you think the cards have to take a look at OLB Brennon Scarlett?

For those who don’t know who he is, he is the guy who sacked Barkley twice and pressured him all day. Also made some nice plays in the run game (along with a penalty).

He is still on the Texans, but he has an uphill battle with guys like Clowney and Mercilus in front of him. I would imagine he will be released at some point.

Yes, unknown guy, going against back ups, in preseason, but he did produce big time. We will see if he hits the streets.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Scarlett

If he is released, and maybe he won’t be, yes, I’d think they’d look. But if he is someone who can be something, Cards are way, way down the waiver wire.

9. By CardsCrew on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

We don’t need the penalty machine that is Browner. But I wouldn’t doubt Keim does the research into the other CBs that have been released (and those who get released next week). K. Williams from the Browns may be a decent option. Only problem with him seems to be his attitude, and the Cards’ locker room can help him grow out of that.

10. By texascard on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

-It seems that any position cn be dicussed here but one, backup qb.

-palmer is workable. He will make mistakes but the d is really, really good.

-the d backfield will be much better than people think.

-ive said it before (to a crowd of down thumbs) RUN THE BALL

-nkemdiche got mauled by backup lineman. Including getting straight up pancaked on a one on one. He is a non factor his rookie season

-nfl teams should carry three qbs and continually draft a qb. This signing other peoples backups leads to garbage backups.

-two platyers must stay healthy for the trip to houston to become a reality. C palmer and t mathieu.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Texas —

RE: Backup QB

You need to get over yourself.

Never said you couldn’t talk about it. I said I didn’t understand why everyone worried about it so much.

12. By creditcard on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

Disappointing loss of Mike Jenkins to the Cardinals organization. Must be devastating to Jenkins — another injury, another lost year.

As for the “other ” corner-back position, None of the three remaining candidates look decent. Brooks is fast, but small, Williams is untested and raw, and Bethel makes too many mistakes, and very well still might be injured.

One rookie on defense that covers very well is Christian Marquis. I know he plays safety, a position that is deep for the Cards. He has shown me he is a gamer and shown me he can tackle, and cover in the middle of the field.

If I played GM and coach for the day, I would be looking at the waiver line to see if a veteran is out there, and I would at least test Christian Marquis at corner — just to see if he can make a quick adjustment.

On the plus side, Humphreys played well. Mericulus is a very good player — Humphreys shut him down.

Chandler Jones cannot stop running play — he just gets plowed over.

Toner is a player. big competition for the last receiving spot between Golden, Hubert and Shipley.

QB play is at best — well below average.

Pass rush this year = pass rush from last year. Pass rush is still not getting it done.

I didn’t see Kerwynn Williams play, but the other running backs looked awesome (including S. Taylor.

Special teams look not-so-special, in fact I would say they looked down right pathetic

13. By CARDS62 on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

I just do not get why we will not play Drew Stanton in this game.
    I think he needs the work and if I was him I would want to play.
    I am also worried about John Smokey Brown. Has it been a month now ?
    Get well Smokey and best of luck to you on and off the field.

Go Cards!

14. By dan on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Tristan Okpalaugo looks A LOT better than Shaq Riddick will ever look…….cut Riddick…….HE SUCKS! Waste of a 3rd rd pick.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Dan —

RE: Riddick “waste of a 3rd rd pick”

Or a fifth-round pick, which is what he was. You seem to have trouble grasping that.

16. By Marcelof on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

I guess I got a little lost somewhere… What about Keenan Lewis?! Has he signed anywhere else?

been a while I haven’t heard anything on him.

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Marcelof —

RE: Keenan Lewis

Has not signed. But reports say he is still injured, so it might be a little bit.

18. By TheXgasm on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Wondering how many offensive linemen we keep – obviously the starting 5 + Watford, but beyond that…I’m guessing we keep Boehm, it sounds like he’s made enough improvement to be bullish on his future. Cole Toner has been brought up by non-Cardinals media, including PFF calling him the best guard to play last week. I wonder if we keep him or if it worries Keim & BA to have two rookies as backups.

Then again, it might be tough to sneak Toner onto the practice squad if he keeps getting attention like this.

19. By clssylssy on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

I don’t see Browner fitting in with what we are doing at any level. He was an overpaid mistake for the Saints and his “return” to the Seahawks didn’t go smoothly as he planned when his ideas of his job didn’t jive with what Carroll was offering…a sort of hybrid, Deone Bucannon type role. As desperate as we are, I don’t think we are that desperate and Cromartie would have been a gift despite falling out of favor with many. If Williams is it, then everybody else will just have to step up and cover until he learns the job…and we’ll hope for the best! As I understand it, we are in the same place for picking up waivers that we were for the draft (29th) which doesn’t leave much but the crumbs. However, this has been the area that Keim has excelled in the past, finding veterans (Freeney, Alexander, Redding,CJ, etc.) forgotten talent, that have turned things to our favor. I am hopeful and optimistic!
    I share Scott’s concern for John Brown and hope that the Cards don’t feel pressured into rushing him back to the field. We will have Fitz, Floyd, Jarron Brown, JJ, and whoever else, so should be pretty stable at WR plus the TEs have developed and will really offer more in the way of blocking than John Brown would.
    Best to take his concussion seriously as obviously it was more serious that just a bump on the head.
    The league talks a lot about “Player Safety” but when it comes down to it only care about the bottom revenue line. There is no way Romo should be on a football field again, and he will be lucky if he doesn’t have to retire in a wheelchair…a disgusting situation that is a stain on all owners. In this regard, the Cards have set themselves apart, I believe, in actually caring about their players and not forcing them to play when they could have (Kurt Warner situation, having a year left on his contract but electing to retire b/c of concussion).

20. By Scott H on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Why do I love Bruce Arians? Here’s why – when asked about the hit on Palmer that sent his helmet flying, his response was don’t throw an interception. And ya know what? Right on, coach. I mean, I’m saying this knowing that Palmer is, by all reports, OK. And I’m glad for that. But BA has never nailed a response as perfectly as he nailed that one. And I think there is a bit of a message to Palmer in that statement. That message? Don’t want to have to become a tackler? Stop making throws like you did on that play.

21. By CARDS62 on Aug 31, 2016 | Reply

Trust me Scott H I am so with you on the don’t throw an interception and I also love Bruce Arians. I am so sick and tired of all of these turnovers. All I ask for was a first half of a football game with no turnovers and I can not even get thru the first series.

That said the hit by Devon Stills was a very cheap shot like the shot by the Saints on Warner in the playoffs. Stills should have been thrown out of the game. Human body can only take so many hits and the effects are cumulative.

I still consider football the greatest game on Earth, but man oh man with the size, strength, and speed of the modern players it is so dangerous when these guys play straight up, but there is no place are cheap shots no matter how many interceptions our QB throws.

CLSSYLSSY you are so right on Romo. I saw the play and commented how nice Seattle defender was on Romo and he still broke a bone falling down. Romo needs to be smart like Troy Aikman and retire. I can not like the Cowboys because of all the years they beat up on us in the NFC East days, but Romo and their TE Jason Whitten are good guys.

GO Cards!

22. By Scott H on Aug 31, 2016 | Reply

Cards62 –

Well, thanks for your input on that. Clearly, it’s not OK to be expressing concerns related to Carson Palmer right now and it seems some others have been offended by my doing so. IMHO, you can like a player and believe in his capabilities but still have concerns based how that player looks at any given time.

I applaud you for being willing to SEE the turnovers and some of the bad throws that have been happening since the end of last season, and not being afraid to express concerns about them. I don’t read that as you not being a fan or a ridiculous over-reaction. I read it as someone keeping it real.

I hear ya about the cheap shot issue. You know the refs and rules are protecting QB’s like never before, but it will always be true that after an INT has taken place, the QB is not a QB anymore – he is now playing defense and as such, he is fair game. You KNOW players are going to use that opportunity to take a shot. Not saying it’s right, but….that’s how it goes.

If you have not seen the movie Concussion, see it ASAP, I think you will love it. If you have, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Regarding Romo…..yeah, he needs to walk away. It has reached a point where his body just can’t do this anymore. The last few times he has gotten back on the field recently, he’s done after the first hit. A shame. He’s as tough as they come, but….I don’t want to see him limping and taking pain killers for the rest of his life, ya know?