Keim going through the cuts process

Posted by Darren Urban on August 29, 2016 – 8:21 am

It’s a fluid day today thanks to the first round of cuts and a short week, meaning the Cardinals go from a 90-man team playing in Houston Sunday to a 75-man team practicing (or walking through at least) Monday afternoon. The Cardinals will make their cuts likely before practice, and GM Steve Keim said on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7 that the process is going on right now. That includes meeting with the medical staff at some point to find out where the Cards stand there — if cornerback Mike Jenkins’ knee injury is a season-ender, for instance, he’d probably go on IR and there’s one roster spot — and then make the other cuts from there.

All that news is to come on azcardinals.com. Bruce Arians will speak at 12:15 p.m., although in the past cuts have come out after he speaks.

Other Keim thoughts after the Texans game:

— Keim’s “one concern” is the fact the Cardinals have not played well collectively, particularly on offense. That will hopefully be rectified when players like Larry Fitzgerald return to the lineup and they all start playing a lot more together. Keim did single out a handful of offensive players he has liked so far. Running back Andre Ellington has impressed, and Keim said he likes the progress of rookie offensive linemen Evan Boehm and Cole Toner.

— Keim also said he thought the pass protection was good overall and that right tackle D.J. Humphries played his best game, which could be seen in the excellent run performance the Cards had. Humphries “brings physicality to the line.”

— The quarterbacks overall haven’t played well. “I don’t think that’s hard to see,” Keim acknowledged.

— Rookie DT Robert Nkemdiche didn’t get a lot of pressures on passing downs but Keim liked how disruptive he was in the run game as a good first step.

— CB Justin Bethel was rusty, Keim agreed after Arians’ assessment. Keim thought rookie CB Brandon Williams had a “solid” game, getting better mentally and with his eyes, despite getting beat a couple of times.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Keim going through the cuts process”

1. By georgiebird on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

This preseason is the best thing that could ever have happened to the Cardinals. Last year’s 12-4 recorded was a bit suspect if anyone were to “drill down” on the wins and losses.
    Time to stop reading the press clippings – now it’s getting close to real games.
    I have faith in BASK to get thru the hype and get the team playing better- with the help of some additions.
    And whether it’s preseason or real-season or post season- don’t ever compare Carson Palmer (low energy) to Kurt Warner.

2. By Rodney on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

Darren, I know this is pretty irrelevant (pun intended), but is Gerald Christian still injured?

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

Rodney —

RE: Christian

He is not injured.

4. By Dr. G. on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

– – Keim says the QBs ((plural)) haven’t played well. It is comforting to know that he is on board with the fans’ posting here earlier.

Yes, Mr. Keim, we all have observed the same thing….and know you will address this one way or another as the team progresses. That’s why you’re one of the best in the business. The fans appreciate you being candid and forthright. Your job is not a cakewalk…

5. By AzDesertRat1953 on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

Yes indeed it is nice to have the GM and HC saying the same thing that everyone else also has seen.

Kinda neat to have that feeling, dare I say Trust, that we all (fans and the Team) are on the same page.

GO CARDS!!!

6. By TLT fka DTL on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

georgiebird stole a Cards win? c’mon😉

Looks like Swiss Knife, Boehm,Toner make first 8 OL;

Couple Wolfley’s comments post Keim notable:

1. Should keep 9 OL;
    2. NFL pro (or 2) cut coming on DL, hard to keep 8, much less 9 (Wolfley, not me);
    3. Wolf feared the cut 9 out of his 10 seasons…

CB the target on waiver wire, unless older pro cut, hard to imagine we get help. Hows that Harlan Miller coming along, Urb? Do Hartfield, Zamort, Bouka have any shot? Hard to sort these guys…

Wishing them all well, dark week ahead. But in the end, we’ll have our team, as BA likes to say.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

TLT —

RE: CBs

Going to be tough for all those guys, including Miller. Bouka has practiced once since he signed including offseason, so I’m pretty sure his chance has passed.

8. By CRappuhn on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

Darren-

I can no longer view the comments from the app due to the update. I now have to go through the website. Am I missing something? Is there a support email I should contact?

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

CRaappuhn —

RE: Comments

Send me an e-mail: askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net. Not sure.

10. By Richard S on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

Is Keim able to see everything by watching the game? I mean somethings are obvious like a wide receiver battling a cornerback, but with 22 men on the field going at it, I wonder if they watch the film over and over to evaluate each position before the cuts are made. How did the Offensive guard do? Too much action going on down there to single that out. I guess he gets input from the position coaches who might be concentrating on their guys performance or maybe he watches the film over and over for each position. That would be time consuming. What a chore. Then having to tell the player that their time is up. I guess it pays well.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

Richard S —

RE: Keim

He watches every game live, obviously, and then watches video of the game after. On the plane ride home for a road game, the next morning for a home game.

12. By Big T on Aug 29, 2016 | Reply

If this was an honest process, Palmer would be cut in this first round.

13. By Jon on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Big T:

If this was an honest process, one might question whether you know anything about football

14. By clssylssy on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Darren…
    Re Comments:
    The new mobile app sucks. The Comments aren’t available and what is available is sort of a no-frills version of the actual site. I suspect this is an NFL attempt to bring some uniformity to all sites since, in checking other team sites, it seems to be the same template/format.
    This is a little annoying as I think a lot of fans check in on their lunch hours and breaks via cellphone or when killing time waiting to pick up kids, etc. I have always found the Cardinal site to be one of the best and your blog rather exceptional and unique for fans exchanging views and engaging in a dialogue.
    I realize this may be beyond your control and assumed you were aware of the changes.
    Thanks for your efforts.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Comments

Looking into it.

16. By clssylssy on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

On a different note…
    I see where San Diego waived Zack Mettenberger when trade talks with the Cowboys fell through. He probably won’t survive waivers but do you think there could be interest in him? He would be at least eligible for the PS, I think, and would be better than Barkley. I really liked their 3rd stringer from ASU…Boscovic (?) but I guess they did too!
    As far as Palmer is concerned, I am a little worried about him too but also recognize that he has thrown interceptions before in the early part of the game but usually settles down and corrects himself as time goes by. Nonetheless, turnovers lose games and so he doesn’t get a pass. I just don’t think that he or Stanton either one were playing like they wanted to be on the field, perhaps knowing that they had job security and didn’t have to worry about competing for a position. At the end of the day, given the shallow pool of QB talent out there, Palmer is the man and hopefully when Larry and his regular guys are on the field with him, they can quiet any self-doubts he has. Right now, he’s playing tentative and unfocused, which is when injuries happen.