Bouka heads to IR, Ball released

Posted by Darren Urban on August 30, 2016 – 9:39 am

The Cardinals were hoping that Elie Bouka would be a Canadian find at cornerback this year after snagging him as an undrafted rookie free agent. Instead, he’s barely been on the field — and now he won’t be on it before next season. Bouka went to injured reserve, his offseason and training camp marred first by the serious Achilles injury he suffered last season and then by a bad hamstring injury that still has him sidelined.

It was one of two moves the Cards made Tuesday to get to the 75-man limit. Getting an injury settlement with veteran cornerback Alan Ball (quad) was the other. And to think of the opportunity that was there for either in training camp, given the uncertainty of the position. Ball made a couple of plays in his first few practices but then got hurt.

With Mike Jenkins tearing his ACL, the starting cornerback position across from Patrick Peterson is open. Bouka might have been a long shot to get into the mix but his body never even gave him a chance. Now he’ll have to wait until 2017 to see if he can make the jump to the NFL.

BoukaBlog

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “Bouka heads to IR, Ball released”

1. By Andy Kw on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

At least we still have Bouka for next season.

2. By texascard on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Pompous ain’t easy

3. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

OK, playing the GM, here are a couple moves I would look to make.

I question if Boehm can play this year and Shipley is OK at best. The Vikings are dangling John Sullivan, who started for the vikes till an injury took him out of last year. Sullivan is a solid center.

Second, I am bringing in Keenan Lewis for a physical to compete at CB. If his hip is good, that is an easy signing.

Finally, I haven’t loved what I have seen out of Golden. I’ve noticed he has not held the edge on runs and not getting much pressure. I was hoping for a bigger jump from him in year two. Maybe he is outstanding in practice, I am not there. But I am still not sold 100% on him.

Therefore, I am looking to make a call on Krueger. His price tag might be too high, since there are several teams, including his old team, the ravens, who are interested. But he is very good at the run and in the right situation can put up double digit sacks. At worst, he gives us a proven vet to rotate with the starters.

So,
    Keenen Lewis CB
    John Sullivan C
    Paul Krueger. OLB

4. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

I’ve got to be honest. I am looking for a reason to go to Thursday’s game.

Let’s be honest, we will watch Matt Barkley, Who at best is our 3rd string guy, but most likely will be released, throwing to receivers like Shipley and the little guy #19, who at best could be practice squad guys. All while you got uneducated Bronco fans cheering like the game means something all around me.

So, I really thought about my reasons to get out to the game. Here are my five reasons to watch.

1. Robert Nkemdiche – He really didn’t show much in his first game back. I am looking to see him play in extended action.

2. Bethel and Williams – Got to believe they will get extended play. At least I hope.

3. The TE battle – The cards have a few good TEs imo. Who will shine on Thursday?

4. Cole Toner – Watching this guy against the Texans and Raiders, He looks like the steal of the draft. I would not be surprised if he is the starting guard in 2017.

5. Marquis Christian – This safety has shown enough to make the team in my opinion. I would like to see him put an exclamation point on the camp.

Darren, anyone else, got a reason to show up to the game Thursday?

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Reasons

I’ll try and hit on some tomorrow. But you’ve nailed the bigger ones. Not sure Bethel will play with the sore foot though.

6. By Scott H on Aug 30, 2016 | Reply

Damn, man….our DB’s are dropping like flies. Have said it several times, will say it again – our pass rush needs to make sure our secondary doesn’t get scorched this year. Teams are likely to be able to throw effectively against us this year if opposing QB’s are getting time to go through their reads.

7. By clssylssy on Aug 31, 2016 | Reply

JTDG….
    See where the Saints signed Kruger. Guess they saw what you saw and acted!

Also just read an article that ranked Palmer #5 amongst others in the league, ahead of Brady and behind Brees. Stanton ranked #20 (out of 28) with Cousins, a starter only at #16, so maybe there is hope (if I put much strength into such rankings),

Sounds like BA is starting to back peddle a little and is now saying our window for making the SB is much bigger than this year,,,kinda like the old BA a little better when he was talking a ring!

8. By CARDS62 on Aug 31, 2016 | Reply

Debate on what to look for at Thursday game.

1) Cardinal Fans put on your GM hats and let me know what you think on this one. I do not know what I have in Drew Stanton and I would definitely play him the first quarter of this game. What about you?

2) I have lowered the bar and now just want to see our Cardinals play the first quarter without a turnover. Last game I ask for first half and did not make it through the first series.

3) Totally agree we need our CB to play better and need to make roster moves at the position so will watch Williams and hopefully Bethal, but I never see our CB receiving safety help on any plays. I hope this is just preseason trickery as with our improved rush we should be seeing safety help.

4) Troy N. TE was finally looking good and last game he disappeared.

5) Watch to see if we continue with our strong run game. I can not believe I am writing this but in the New England game I hope we run the ball 55 times and only throw it 15 times. I can not believe it with all of our weapons but I have much more confidence in our running game than I do in our throwing game right now. The Carolina nightmare I try to forget one if not the only bright spot was David Johnson.

6) JTDG you already purchased the tickets and there is nothing on TV Thurday night and we love your insights so go root for our Cardinals and let us know your thinking.

Go Cards !

9. By clssylssy on Aug 31, 2016 | Reply

CARDS62
    I think any concerns about Stanton falls on deaf ears as BA has already made his mind up that Stanton will be our backup. (Perhaps Stanton has felt no compelling reason to over exert himself in preseason since his job is safe?) He did rank barely below Cousins (not much comfort) in a recent sports site ranking, and there’s not much else out there who could step into BA’s system and have the offense feel comfortable??
    I still see Barkley as a waste of time and wonder if Mettenberger might be a better alternative, coming from Les Miles system at LSU who our players may also be familiar with and PS eligible??? Looking at the list published following T. Bridgewater’s injury, there is also Vick, I guess–not a fan personally, but acknowledge the talent.
    Totally agree with you on the turnover issue, LOL, find it really sad that we’re forced to lower our standards to be more realistic, hoping we can go a quarter with no turnovers.
    Love our run game and the fact that the TEs are finally being utilized as assets to the offense rather than merely pieces on the board. I am more optimistic that once Fitz is in the game we will see better blocking by everybody with Larry setting the bar higher.
    While I recognize that our team will look more improved with the return of the starters, our weakness at Corner, especially with knowing that Bethel will be playing injured all season is still a major concern looking ahead to November and December. Pittsburg passed on K.Lewis when he didn’t pass the physical and so I don’t really see him as much of an upgrade and there is not a lot out there as Corners seem to be the hot ticket item everybody wants.
    I can understand JTDG’s ambivalence about going to the game, especially given the fact that the players and coaches alike have given little importance to these preseason games and they can be recorded on the DVR! But, agree that his insights are always I look forward to.

10. By clssylssy on Aug 31, 2016 | Reply

Steelers grabbed up Mettenberger, didn’t think he make it through waivers. Too bad Keim couldn’t work something when we were in San Diego…really hoping for some for some news that’s going to “WoW” me.

11. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 31, 2016 | Reply

Cards62,

Stanton playing time;

I guess I agree with BA here. They know who he is and playing in this game really doesn’t do anything. He is who he is.

Now, it clearly, at least to me, ends any thoughts he might be traded to , say, Minnesota. If they were thinking that, they would showcase him.

Maybe Barkley is a trade possibility? Never know. If he comes out and plays really well, maybe a QB needy team would take a chance. Not counting on it.

Now, If I were GM, I would look to move Stanton to the Vikings. Let’s see, do the Vikings have anyone we need. Like maybe a corner (Darren sees where this is going), you know a young corner, who is not counted on to play much this year, so getting a starting QB for him would make sense. He would have to be a guy, who had a few picks in the preseason. Someone who would love to be left out on an island. Gosh, if only there was a guy who I really liked in the draft that the Vikings chose? Hmmm. If only the Vikings had a guy like this ????

Yes, yes, I know that would never happen.

12. By Scott H on Aug 31, 2016 | Reply

JTDG –

Just weighing in on your last post…

RE: Barkley having any trade value?

No, I’m not counting on it, either! Very wishful thinking, there. I mean, it seems pretty certain that the Cards are only keeping 2 QB’s. I think anyone having ANY interest in Barkley right now is feeling pretty confident he will be available after the Cards cut him. Even if he plays well tomorrow night, I I don’t think anything changes. The Cards are set with Palmer and Stanton at QB and they will use the roster spot they aren’t using on a 3rd QB to have depth somewhere else. And that is as it should be.

And you probably already know what I think about this, but I don’t see how you trade Stanton at this point. I know many believe that if we lose Palmer, we are finished, so why not trade Stanton and get something we need for him? But….I just can’t do that. It’s been harder for even me to defend Stanton recently, but I think he still gives us a fighting chance if Palmer goes down. Because I believe that, I believe he has more value to us than what he might bring in a trade. And I have no idea what his trade value even is right now. We would need a player in return for Stanton, not a draft pick.

Besides, if we trade Stanton right now, we have…..MATT BARKLEY as a back-up QB??? No. I can’t do that!

The Vikings were looking to be a legit player in the NFC this season, but without Bridgewater, they are probably out of the picture. Why trade them a QB that might help them right back in?

But, clearly, the Bridgewater injury seems to prompt rather automatic consideration of Stanton as a one of the true viable back-ups that the Vikings might be interested in. I also wonder about Josh McCown and / or Mark Sanchez….OK,, maybe not Sanchez. Man, what the hell happened to him??

13. By CARDS62 on Aug 31, 2016 | Reply

Thank you all for your feedback.

GO Cards!

14. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 1, 2016 | Reply

Scott H,

Stanton Trade;

Got to see I said it with a little “tongue and cheek”.

I wanted Makenzie Alexander in round one of the draft. Instead, the vikings took him in round 2 and he had a couple picks in preseason and did well for a rookie, while learning Zimmer’s type of defense, which plays a little more zone than Alexander played in college.

So, If the Vikings were will to trade their #2 pick (a guy I wanted in the draft), for Stanton,well, I am making that trade.

Of course there is zero chance the Vikings would make that move. Just a little humor in my mind.

15. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 2, 2016 | Reply

Barkley’s trade value if it exists at all can’t be any higher than what we gave up to get him. And it’s probably not even that.

16. By Scott H on Sep 2, 2016 | Reply

JTDG –

Look, you know I’m no good at this picking up on the humor thing! Help me out with a smiley face or something from now on, man! 🙂