Analyzing the initial 53-man roster

Posted by Darren Urban on September 3, 2016 – 4:55 pm

The Cardinals have gotten down to the 53-man roster. Surprises? Perhaps a couple, although the way the wind was blowing over the last few days of the preseason, maybe not so much. Once we got to the end of the fourth preseason game, it was looking good for undrafted ILB Lamar Louis, and the knee injury of Kareem Martin might have helped ILB Gabe Martin on to the final roster (as well as his pick-6), although Martin has caught their collective eye for a while. I think cornerback Cariel Brooks had a good chance to make the team until he played so poorly against the Broncos.

The one legit surprise — in my eyes — was the Cardinals keeping Olsen Pierre, meaning there are nine defensive linemen on the final 53. Nine! That’s on a team with a 3-4 base defense that will use Chandler Jones as a defensive end in some passing situations. Then again, this could be partly for the future, not wanting to lose Pierre (and thinking he can play) when both Frostee Rucker and Calais Campbell are going into the last year of their contracts.

— The roster breakdown, right now, looks like this:
QB – 2
RB – 4
WR – 5
TE – 3
OL – 9
DL – 9
LB – 9 (counting Bucannon; sorry Deone)
CB – 4
S —  5
ST – 3

— So many wondered if Matt Barkley would stick, but as I have said many, many, many times, Drew Stanton was the No. 2 and Barkley simply didn’t show enough to pass him up. The Cardinals will have a QB on the practice squad — it could be Barkley — but it was clear listening to Bruce Arians over the time in camp he was disappointed Barkley didn’t come along faster.

— The trade for Marcus Cooper underscored the need for a veteran cornerback. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cards kept looking at that position.

— The same goes for backup tackle, although John Wetzel showed enough to stick for now.

— Only one draft pick wasn’t kept, cornerback Harlan Miller. I wouldn’t be surprised if Miller came back on the practice squad, but if you are Miller, knowing how much the Cards needed cornerbacks, you have to be disappointed you couldn’t make inroads in making the roster.

— When in doubt, teams go younger. That’s how you stay competitive.

— Teams will start making waiver claims tomorrow. There is still a (good) chance this 53 won’t be the 53 when the Cardinals return to practice Tuesday.

53blog

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

60 Responses to “Analyzing the initial 53-man roster”

1. By Dr. G. on Sep 3, 2016 | Reply

If BA//SK cut Barkley, he won’t be on the PS…interested to see who they might pick up at QB. Going with 2 is a 1st for BA here.

Penny? If “going young” is the m/o, this is a surprising cut. Hopefully, he will clear waivers and make the PS. A little bird told me he is NFL ready and will be gone. Just a numbers game right now. Too bad…later

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Young

Going young assuming all is equal. Chris Johnson is still a much better back. And Taylor is much better at special teams.

3. By dan on Sep 3, 2016 | Reply

Hopefully thats the last we see of Shaq Riddick.

4. By clssylssy on Sep 3, 2016 | Reply

After what has been a stressful day, that was rather anticlimatic, I am exhausted…can only imagine how the players feel! Still, we have another week so, hopefully, some of these talents can still be signed to the PS, although I’m not optimistic they’ll clear waivers. On the other hand, I’m hopeful that after doing a great job against Denver and working so hard they land a roster spot and wish them the best of luck!

5. By creditcard on Sep 3, 2016 | Reply

Interesting the volume of O-Linemen and D-Linemen.

Less skilled players one less WR, TE, and RB; but come to think about it, there is only one ball on the field.

Glad to see Lamar Louis made the team based on his excellent special team play. Also Marqui Christian, I think this young man will become a very good player.

Will also be interesting the mix and who will be the 10-practice squad players.

6. By Brendan Barbeito on Sep 3, 2016 | Reply

Darren, what do you think the odds of Barkley ending up on the practice squad are if no one else scoops him up? I also hope Kerwynn finds a good place to play, I made sense to let him go, but I liked him. PB&J will never be the same…

Also, $LB will be a standard roster spot soon enough in the pass heavy league.

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Brendan —

RE: Barkley

I think the Cards will try and seek someone who they think has more potential as the PS QB. But I wouldn’t rule out a Barkley return.

8. By CARDS62 on Sep 3, 2016 | Reply

Wow I guess biggest shock for me is that we kept Olsen Pierre over a 6th receiver. We keep 9 DL and play a 3 man front does not make sense so I am expecting a trade from us or one or two will be waived as we pick up other players cut.

The Eagles are great at trading QB. Bradford for a 1 and 4, and Kolb to us.

Need starting CB, LB, and T depth most in my opinion.

Looking forward to next Sunday Night Game against the Patriots but worried about turnovers.

9. By joe holst on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Yes it will definitely change the next couple of days, they are thin at CB and OLB I think another trade is coming, D-lineman or o-line for more help on the defense, I am surprised Brittan Golden didn’t stick because he can play CB in a pinch, I thought the drafting of Harlan Miller was curious since he wasn’t a sped guy that they like so much. I will mold one of the extra 0-lineman into a blocking Tight end- John Wetzel. 1 more week until kickoff. I actually love preseason and Cut day. Cards- 12-4 SB entry.

10. By Paul Petroff on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Vikings center is available, since he was cut. How does he look?

11. By clssylssy on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Darren…am curious about you remark regarding “more potential” than Barkley for practice squad QB…like who for instance?
    I have always felt that the trade to the Eagles for Barkley and a draft pick was awful and didn’t make sense but then he seemed to develop some as showcased in the Denver game (granted it was against backups) and actually now looks to be near the top of what’s out there, plus not just anybody off the street could pick up BA’s offense in a heartbeat, so I’m really wondering who you have in mind as having “more potential” unless it might be Jake Coker when healthy???

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: More potential

I don’t have a name for you. It is definitely not Coker, who did not look good at all while he was here. Barkley might come back on the PS. We’ll see.

As for the trade for Barkley … you know it was for a 7th round pick, right? A seventh-round pick. A Gerald Christian. A D.C. Jefferson. Seventh-round picks don’t always stick. If the Cards had spent a 7th-round pick on a QB not named Barkley and he got cut, I doubt anyone would’ve blinked.

13. By shannon robinson on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

If we are a running team then you have to stop the run as well. I started seeing Pierre show up in the rotation and then watched him more. He was moving people around and making tackles and then blocked that pass. The Cards are going to rush the passer and win in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The roster reflects toughness and durability. I’m glad Fua made it – a really tough team needs at least two Polynesians. I welcome Lamar Louis and the LSU connection. Is he the backup $LB? Good for Cole Toner, Gabe Martin, Josh Mauro and Ed Stinson! This team also reflects that their confidence in Kareem the Dream and Alex Okafor remains solid. John Wetzel is like all Boston College offensive linemen, he’s hard nosed. Count the number of draft choices on this roster from the Steve Keim era and the results don’t lie – phenomenal!

14. By Gary T. on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

I think Barkley should be the number 2 QB and Stanton moved to the PS or traded.
    Stanton has shown very little in the three or so years he has backed up Palmer.
    Palmer looks like his confidence is not where it should be, so if Barkley is let go this could be a very long year.

15. By TLT fka DTL on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Urb: Will Gabe or Lamar backup $LB?

Most notable: 18 linemen, 21 if add TEs. Stout up the middle. Cardinals learned from Seattle, Carolina and Denver that power wins, powerful adversaries must be stuffed, steamrolled. Sweet.

TLT, The Loyal Ten

16. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

TLT —

RE: Backup $

I would guess Martin. Don’t know yet.

17. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Keeping 9 Defensive Lineman;

What I noticed in Thursday’s game is Josh Mauro playing a lot of OLB. With Martin down for a little while, doesn’t it make sense if Mauro is that 4th OLB, that they keep an extra D-Lineman?

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Mauro

Very possible. Mauro has spent time with the OLB many times in practice dating back to last training camp.

19. By Jeff A. on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Darren:

How was Momah looking in camp this year? I was hoping he would pick up where he left off last year, but there has been little buzz around him. Was the magic gone or the injury seeming to linger? What about Shipley? He’s looked a potential real deal in the past, but he also had little buzz.

It seems Pierre was kept for depth after a DL trade will be made.

Hopefully we keep Hubert, Shipley, Penny and a few others on the PS.

I hate it for Kerwynn, but it’s just a numbers game. In preseason and regular season he’s always played hard and looked like he belongs in the league although his most recent game wasn’t as good. I’ve been surprised no other teams have taken him away from our PS to be honest. I’d hate to see him go, but hopefully he goes to another team where he can get a chance since he is no longer PS eligible.

Keep in mind about the young players: This is just preseason. Now repeat that to yourself a hundred times. Penny looked great…against a bunch of guys who no longer have jobs now. Maybe he’s the real deal, maybe not. One game does not make a good evaluation. I hope he ends up on our PS and we find out some day. Next year.

This applies to Barkley, too. Many here have dogged that trade all along and declared him a waste of time. It continued in training camp when he clearly looked bad and after his poor game one showing. He has a pretty good game against second, third and fourth stringers and now there’s a calling for him to be the backup? Talk about the makings of a Lindley 2.0 situation. Forgotten about that already? Maybe so, since many blame Stanton for blowing the playoffs for us that year. He got hurt, too. Remember? No chance I want Barkley as a number two QB on a Super Bowl contender. You need someone who has played before and at a decent level. Decent, because that’s about the best you’re going to get unless Bledsoe gets hurt and Brady is on the bench or Jamie Foxx from Any Given Sunday is on your bench. For almost every team, every year, if the starting QB goes down, the Super Bowl goes away with them. There aren’t enough quality QBs to go around as starters let alone backups you’re just as happy to have in the game as your starter. People forget Stanton was a high draft pick who sat the bench because Detroit had an entrenched starter to learn from and then a regime change drafted their own QB the next year. Losing the starter competition to Palmer is nothing to be ashamed of as Palmer has played at a high level for a long time even in Oakland where he takes the blame for the losses caused by the defense’s terribleness. Stanton’s only extended time with starters was in that season where everyone was hurt all the time and the offense reflected that all season due to a lack of practice together and the resulting lack of cohesion. Do I think Stanton is the next great QB? Doubtful, but he can lead the team and make the plays necessary to let his extremely talented teammates make the big plays, Trent Dilfer style.

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Jeff A —

RE: Momah

Truthfully, Momah did not have the same camp this year that he did last year.

21. By UK Card on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Clearing Waivers

Darren how does the waiver system work? Is it draft like where each player is required to clear all other 31 teams? Or is it more collective, does a team put many claims in at a time, and are awarded them in rotation? Just curious.
    With Thanks.

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

UK —

RE: Waivers

If a player has less than four accrued seasons, he must be subjected to waivers when he is released. That gives every team — in reverse order of standings — to claim him (and his current contract). If that happens, they must place him on their 53-man roster. (You can’t claim a guy for your practice squad). If no team claims the player, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

23. By clssylssy on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Darren…I was scratching my head at your comment and my only thought about Coker is that he DID play at Bama so he comes from a good system although I know he never impressed while w the Cards (he had to learn a few things from playing in our system so that would be another + for him).
    I guess it depends on the team and late round picks…some teams do better than the Cards, just never could see it, knowing how he did with Philly but then again, often times I think it is just timing and chemistry…as with Palmer who finally seem to find the right chemistry.
    Nonetheless, the QB pool is pretty dry with “turn key QBs” and it looks like teams are going to have to put in some effort at developing prospects of the future and, who has the luxury of that these days? We seem to waste time on “projects” only to let them go if they don’t immediately blossom. I too wish the horizon was brighter!

24. By Jason on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Palmer has not lost any confidence. Sometimes it takes a few series to get in rhythm. Our offense looks to be a high flyer this again. We really needed pass rush and our running game is probably going to be like no other year we’ve seen!
    Every team has soft spots. However with a little help over the top we’ll be fine.
    SB or BUST ? Boy how times have changed. AKAAAW #Birdgang

25. By texascard on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

-love the ‘at least two polynesians’ line. Troy Polamalu would agree

– I’m not a fan of Barkley. I just think the qb3 roster spot is important to keep filled and develop constant competition for the qb2 and 3 positions.

– if you liked penny in preseason then you are gonna love what ba does with d Johnson this year. He gonna be huge

26. By Joe C. on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

I hear the Cards signed Aaron Murray to the PS. I don’t know why, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him play, but I always wanted the Cards to get him. Tony Dungy used to talk him up and he was good before he hurt his knee in college. Now if they could just trade Drew Stanton for someone like Richard Sherman or Josh Norman.

27. By Scott H on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Speaking of trades involving QB’s, how ’bout the fleecing that the Eagles gave the Vikings??? Great trade for the Eagles as I think Bradford is an average QB at best. I CANNOT believe they got a 1st rounder and then some for him. But on the Vikings side…..when Bridgewater is ready to go again next year, isn’t he the starter again??? So, did the Vikings just give up a 1st round pick, and then some, just to hope they remain competetive with Sam Bradford this year??? Damn….seems like a lot to give up for that.

Besides, how long is it gonna take Bradford to get up and running with their system? It’s not gonna happen over night.

Someone call the police – ’cause the Vikings just got robbed!

28. By ChristianR on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Scott H

Re: Bradford

Trade is better than meets the eye for the Vikings. Bradford is middle-of-the-pack, but that’s a valuable commodity. Especially when you’re looking at Shuan Hill as your starter.

Also, Bridgewater could easily be out for two years with his injury. His injury is worse than what Marcus Lattimore suffered, and that guy retired. Now, Bridgewater is a QB, so he will probably be back. There is just no telling how much time he will miss or what kind of player he will be when he gets back

29. By dynosoar on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

JTDG,

I recall you evaluating Zac Dysert some time ago. In another article on the practice squad, Darren wrote

“ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported the Cardinals would be signing two quarterbacks – … and Zac Dysert, who was released by the Dolphins.”

What were your impressions of Dysert back then and have they changed? He would be on the practice squad so impressions may mean nothing until camp and OTAs, but still…

Thanks

30. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

I really knew nothing about Penny until I saw him play against the Broncos. He was impressive that night. I was sure someone would sign him and I am glad he is back with us albeit on the practice squad. Perhaps he could be a replacement for CJ2K next year if he continues to develop or even Stepfan Taylor, a valuable special teams player but someone who gets very little playing time as a running back.

31. By Scott H on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Christian –

OK. Yeah, I heard the Bridgewater injury was horrific…to the point where I heard some people who were there to see it were actually sick. But out for more than a year?? Wow, that would be something. But I guess anything is possible.

I’m guessing Teddy will be back for next season, and if he is….what they gave up for Bradford was a lot. It helps Bridgewater that this injury happened on Sept 1st and not in December.

32. By clssylssy on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Scott…
    You know a lot of people said the same about Carson Palmer when we got him from the Raiders, thought we couldn’t pick a QB after our recent history since Warner, but sometimes it’s the timing and a matter of chemistry. Bradford played with Adrian Peterson in Oklahoma so it may not be as far fetched a deal as it seems at first glance. Bridgewater’s injury was pretty nasty and it may take him time to come back as it did with the HB on his first knee injury. I have a feeling Bradford made sense to the Vikings when you consider what else they had to choose from and AP may have had some input too.

33. By Marlin on Sep 4, 2016 | Reply

Two injury questions:

Did we ever find out if K.Mart was 2 weeks or 6 or something in between?

Is Okafor fitted with a shoulder harness for playing, like Minter was?

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Kareem

We have not heard anything more certain on Martin.

I do not know if Okafor, who played pretty well against Denver, I thought, has a harness.

35. By mitchaz on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

Very curious to know what turned the coaches off about Matt Barkley. Was it his attitude? His work ethic? You know BA loves “gym rats.” Did he do a lousy job of running the scout team last year in practice? Was it his practice habits in general?

From the outside looking in—it seems to me that any #3 QB the Cardinals bring in on the last day of cuts (as they did with Barkley last year via the trade, and now with adding Murray and Dysert via the PS) has an extremely difficult task. First of all, they have to learn BA’s complex offense—which took even Carson Palmer a whole pre-season and 8 games to start feeling somewhat comfortable—but they don’t even get many reps in the offense because they are running the scout team and other teams’ offenses.

So then, the first chance they get to have meaningful reps is during OTAs and mini-camp where the team is divided into two and they are with all the rookies.

Thus, I think that for Barkley to perform as well as he did (630 yards, 4 TDs, 3 ints) with what little opportunities he had in such a short time is commendable. Yet, the coaches never seemed satisfied—you would think that they would talk Barkley up just to promote his trade value—instead BA lumped Barkley in to his “poor QB performances” explanations after the pre-season games, when Barkley was the only one moving the offense and earning a QB rating of over 80. Barkley’s QB ratings in weeks 2-4 went up each game from 81.2 to 92.6 to 120.2. That’s pretty dang good.

This repeated scorn for the young QBs BA has had since he arrived (particularly for the one QB he personally went and scouted and then drafted—Logan Thomas—and now for the one Steve Keim went and traded for) is discouraging.

What’s just as discouraging is this kind of “blind faith brotherhood” BA has in Drew Stanton—whose pre-season performances the past two years have been putrid. And even after those awful performances Stanton is still telling people that he re-signed in AZ because they’ve had discussion about him being the successor to Carson Palmer. Really?

The truth is—with the money the Cardinals spent on Stanton, which is close to $4M a year, they could have easily re-signed Dwight Freeney and added another FA CB to the mix. Barkley could have been the #2. Barkley looked so much tougher and more poised than Stanton did—much better footwork and accuracy and zip—that TD pass on the skinny post to Shipley was a thing of beauty.

36. By mitchaz on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

One more note—I would just add that all those snaps for Barkley this pre-season are now wasted when they don’t even sign him to the PS. One injury to Palmer or Stanton and there is no QB in reserve who knows the offense as of today.

37. By RichardL on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

9 DL shows more of a 4-3 defense this year. Thin at linebacker for 3-4

38. By clssylssy on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

Mitchaz…excellent points. As one of the naysayers regarding Barkley, I admit he made impressive strides and was better than just good in making his case against the Broncos, with good reads, executing nice passes (some bordering on incredible) and in general, moving the ball in a way we haven’t seen in awhile. All things considered, we seem to have flushed a valuable asset, in light of what we now have on PS. Of course, it the need arise we can always claim him off the PS from the Bears, like we did Lindley. However, I get the idea that BA is waiting for the 2nd coming of Big Ben or Peyton to show up and I don’t think that is going to happen. I’m thinking, “better the devil you know than the devil you don’t know” or “a bird in the hand…” but also, the Bears were ahead of us in picking from the waiver wire as I understand it.

39. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

Dynosaur,

I couldn’t find much that I said on Zac Dysart in 2013, but I did find this;

By John The Draft Guy on Feb 11, 2013 | Reply
    Alright, I am going to throw out a QB name for you.
    What if I said we could get a guy who threw for 4000+ yards and 22 TDs. He has a 62.5% career comp %, including last year and throws the ball down field with his big arm?
    Reports are the Raiders are thinking of releasing QB Carson Palmer. Now that is the perfect fit for this team. Sign Carson and draft a guy like Landry Jones to learn behind him. Get rid of the 3 really bad QBs we have.

John The Draft Guy on Feb 11, 2013 | Reply
    Drew Stanton:
    You bring him in because he knows the system and can help out other QBs with picking up the playbook. I don’t think he is being brought in to start.

John The Draft Guy on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply
    . I want to see the arm strength of Wilson and Barkley.
    Accuracy is huge for Glennon.
    How athletic is Geno Smith and I would ask him why he faded in big games.
    I think Landry Jones will be a stud in shorts. His issue is pressure and that can only be seen on tape.

– In 2013, Most of the talk was me arguing with many about why we should get rid of Kolb. It is hard to believe how many defended him and wanted to keep him.
    – Most of my talk was for Tyler Wilson and Landry Jones. Once We did trade for Palmer, (something I didn’t believe would finally happen) I thought to draft Jones later in the draft.

As for Dysart, he is a big strong armed QB. He looks like a QB. He looks like a first round QB in shorts. Not sure why he hasn’t caught on or why he was a 7th rounder. Something is missing.

40. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

mitchaz,

Barkley and Stanton;

I am not going to argue with your logic, because a lot of it makes sense. I think the bottom line is Arians trust Drew Stanton. A coach needs to trust his QB and obviously there is a lot of trust Arians has in him.

As for Barkley, In the practice I saw and in previous preseason games, nothing good stood out. It might have been a case of too little too late. I do have to say, in person, the arm strength is not what Stanton or Palmer have.

It must be that, Arians just didn’t see a future in Barkley and decided to move on, while his trust in Stanton keeps him around as a solid #2. Bringing in Aaron Murray and Zac Dysert is a shot in the wind. Impress everytime you get a rep or they will be gone.

To me, Murray doesn’t make sense. Not a strong arm or down the field thrower. Dysert is interesting, just because everything about his says NFL QB, but hasn’t produced. Mechanics, arm, mobility are all there. Just is missing something. I haven’t seen him play in preseason. Maybe system?

41. By Scott H on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

Well, for what it’s worth, Shaun Hill has been named the Vikings starter for Week One. So….again, considering that Bradford can’t really play for this team until he knows the offense…..what they gave up for him is a lot. Too much IMHO.

42. By Scott H on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

Mitchaz –
    Well, look what they did last year….they went through the entire pre-season with two QB who learned their system / their plays / their personnel…and they cut them both and traded FOR Barkley.

43. By Dr. G. on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

Darren – OK…re: on the skillset for STs with Penny…got it, but glad he on the PS. A betting man sez he’s on the roster by year end with all the happenings…

Now, for QBs …to improve for the NFL, not just to sit. Any good coach can watch the games and then help the PS guys develop somewhat, albeit not like actual team playing//practice time, but could be worthwhile.

??? May a PS player hire an outside QB coach on his own time? And would you presume the contract would normally have a clause denying this? Thx…

P.S. I saw an LFL RB you would not pass on…!

The NFL…greatest show on Earth…Go Cards!!!

44. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: QB coach

You can do some things in the offseason, but in-season? No time.

45. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

If Bradford can stay healthy I think he is an upgrade on Bridgewater and Teddy may not get his job back. I doubt many thought Fitzpatrick would be the Jets starter last year and now it’s Geno Smith who is holding the clipboard. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Could Bradford end up as our quarterback in 2018? At some point we will have to find a replacement for Palmer.

46. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

ClssyLssy…..Adrian Peterson was at Oklahoma for three years, 2004-2006. Sam Bradford was also there for three years, 2007-2009. They were never teammates.

47. By dynosoar on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

JTDG,

thanks. I’d say someone else talked of Dysart then. I had forgotten you liked bringing in Palmer when the rumors of his release were around.

48. By mitchaz on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

Good post classy. I hit the like button for it. Well said.

John—

Barkley was hanging tough in the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield. He made a number of very good throws under pressure after shifting his feet in the pocket. In these games, Barkley let the plays develop—he wasn’t playing “hot potato” like Palmer and Stanton.

I have to say—it surprised me. I didn’t think he would be as tough and poised as he was. Plus I saw some good zip on his passes, more than I would have expected. That skinny post TD he threw to Shipley was a dart. Furthermore, loved, for example, how he avoided pressure, stepped to his left and had his eyes deep enough to see Chris Hubert behind the defense and with a flick of the wrist got it out to him for a TD.

49. By mitchaz on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

By the way, John—

Can you imagine the storylines if BA creates a diamond out of the rough in Zac Dysert—who broke most of Big Ben’s passing records at Miami (Ohio)? Hey it took Kurt Warner a few years to get his break and catch on. You never know!

50. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

I don’t understand why anyone would think we’d dump Stanton for Barkley. E.g., above, Gary T says Barkley should move to #2 because “Stanton has shown very little in the three or so years he has backed up Palmer.”

Barkley looked good in ONE preseason game — the one where the opposing defense is made up of third-stringers and guys who aren’t even going to make the team.

Meanwhile, Stanton takes over for the injured Palmer in 2014, goes 5-3, and keeps the team in first place before getting injured himself, causing the team to have to turn to Lindley (two regular season losses plus a playoff loss).

Name me an NFL team that can reasonably be expected to go 5-3 in 8 games with their backup QB.

If the Patriots can go 2-2 with Garoppolo, I suspect their fans will be ecstatic. When Romo went down last year, how many games in a row did the Cowboys lose? And yet our #2 stepped in and went 5-3.

Barkley couldn’t stick as the 3rd QB on a team with QB problems. A team that gave him up for a conditional 7th round pick (turning to a 6th). Why would anyone think he should be the #2 guy here?

51. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

So your article on the main page about the PS says that Farley was the only Cardinal cut who was claimed. So no one picked up either Shipley or Kerwyn Williams? I remember the radio guys on 98.7 talking about how those guys would be playing somewhere…

52. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2016 | Reply

Kevin S —

RE: Kerwynn/Shipley

You are correct. Don’t think Williams is PS eligible anymore, which hurts him. Not sure why Shipley hasn’t landed yet, although I might’ve missed it.

53. By clssylssy on Sep 5, 2016 | Reply

Scott…
    I wouldn’t expect them to start Bradford without even time to glance at the playbook, however I’m just saying that perhaps they could see more ways this could work for them that given some other options. Apparently, they did make a number of calls but weren’t willing to give up even more, which was what other teams wanted. Just say’n …Bradford may work out better in Minnesota than he has other places. IMO, Zimmer is a better coach than what he’s had so far, and, like BA, is on a mission to put the Vikings on a winning track.
    I don’t see either of these two QBs sticking even on the PS. Dysert has already made the rounds of five other teams prior to coming here and Murray is even more of a head scratcher but they do need a body on PS to throw the ball so…

54. By Big Red on Sep 6, 2016 | Reply

I would think Garapalo would throw at B. Williams all game, for obvious reasons but also to boost his own confidence, would you agree? Also Cards can’t sleep on the NE tight ends by giving too much safety help to the corner opposite PP.

55. By clssylssy on Sep 6, 2016 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose…You are correct sir, and I was under the impression (based on comments by a sportscaster), that they had played at the same time rather than just being from the same system and being a year apart. I guess the feeling was that they would have the same basic training…a sort of “six degrees of separation” and could therefore have some chemistry??? This isn’t totally off the wall logic as football programs like Oklahoma often have a kind of “signature” philosophy/style of playing. I can see that and based on other factors, it would be a compelling consideration. Bridgewater is going to be watching from the sidelines on crutches, which may be an added incentive!
    Mitchaz…with regard to Zac Dysert, he’s had five stops with other teams including the Broncos, before landing here, but your observation about the storyline for BA producing another Kurt Warner was spot on! Even if he has a cannon of an arm, doesn’t mean he will be fixable after having made the rounds…John Skelton had a cannon too, but nobody wanted to take on the project.

56. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2016 | Reply

clssy –

I just don’t get how the Vikings didn’t completely over-pay here. Bradford may not be ready to REALLY help this team until Oct….and next year, isn’t Bridgewater coming back?? And they gave up a FIRST ROUND PICK ( and then some ) for this. Bradford wants to be a starter somewhere, so he doesn’t figure into their plans going forward. Unless he takes Bridgewater’s job?? Do you think that us possible??

57. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2016 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Bridgewater

To be fair, there are concerns Bridgewater’s injury was so severe he will not be ready to start the 2017 season.

58. By Brendan Barbeito on Sep 6, 2016 | Reply

Given the severity of Bridgewater’s injury, the trade for Bradford was smart, albeit expensive, for someone who’s job is to turn and hand the ball to Adrian Peterson.

Back to the Cardinals-

Darren, with all these defensive linemen one the roster, is it possible the cards are moving more towards a hybrid defense and we could see some 4-3 formations? Or is it more likely as you suggested- just getting ready for the possibility of loosing Calais Campbell and Frostee Rucker with cap space limitations?
    I like Calais a lot but I would think if you had to choose between paying Michael Floyd or Calais, you would have to keep Floyd as Ftiz’s heir to the WR1 spot when he decides it’s time for him to retire. Especially if we’re so deep at D-Line that it was worth keeping NINE of them for a 3-4 defense.

59. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2016 | Reply

Brenden —

RE: Linemen

Lots of possibilities. Maybe more 4-down. Maybe a concern of injuries, which the Cards were indeed hit with last season. And also the future. Keim himself said as such.

60. By Scott H on Sep 7, 2016 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Bridgewater

OK, I hear you on that point. But as long as he IS expected to return….isn’t Bradford still pretty much a rent-a-player here? It’s hard for me to imagine that Bradford plays well enough that this becomes an open competition for the starting QB job up there. In the NFL, you’re not SUPPOSED to lose your job to injury….

I don’t envy the Vikings for the tough spot this put them in. I think they saw themselves as a legit playoff team this year. And I don’t argue that. Then, you lose your QB. Do you go with your back-up and ( most likely ) resign yourself to a down year, or do you make a bold move and mortgage some of your future ( which I believe is a fair description of what they did ) to try to stay competitive this year? Tough call…..

….and exactly why it is good to have Drew Stanton around.

Looking forward to Friday Before the Patriots!