The history of Fitz touchdowns by QB

Posted by Darren Urban on September 14, 2016 – 10:32 am

So, one game into his 13th season, Larry Fitzgerald has 100 touchdown catches. He’s a long way from pulling in his first, a 24-yarder from Josh McCown in San Francisco on Oct. 10 of 2004. Not surprisingly, he’s caught more from Kurt Warner than anyone, and of course, his total does not include his postseason haul — which included his bonkers seven during his playoff rampage after the 2008 season.

But here is a list of each quarterback from whom Fitz has caught a touchdown (props to media relations wizard Mike Helm for compiling this list):

— Kurt Warner (39)
— Carson Palmer (23)
— Josh McCown (12)
— John Skelton (7)
— Kevin Kolb (5)
— Matt Leinart (5)
— Derek Anderson (4)
— Brian St. Pierre (1)
— Max Hall (1)
— Richard Bartel (1)
— John Navarre (1)
— Shaun King (1)

Drew Stanton has yet to make the list. Disappointingly, Ryan Lindley, Logan Thomas and Brian Hoyer did not make it. Fitz really has played with a lot of quarterbacks.

There are four teams Fitzgerald has not yet scored a touchdown against, although he has a chance to rectify that against only one this season: The New York Jets. The other three are the Ravens, Steelers and Broncos.

fitz100blog

Tags:

27 Responses to “The history of Fitz touchdowns by QB”

1. By John hobe on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

He scored a td against the steelers…… in the superbowl…you remember

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

John —

RE: Fitz TDs

When you are talking about records, as I noted in the text, playoffs do not count.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

Richard Bartel completed 10 NFL passes and threw one TD. .

Max Hall only threw 1 TD in his career also.

John Navarre threw 2 TDs, and one was to Fitz.

If you are going to throw only one or two TDs in a career, it would be awesome to have that caught by Fitz.

4. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

Almost forgot Brian St Pierre, who completed only two passes for the cards (15 total) and one of his two was a TD to Fitz.

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: ST. Pierre

6. By Kenny on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

That is a lot of quarterbacks for a dozen years. I’d be curious where we rank in number of quarterbacks over that time frame. Not that it is something to be proud of…

7. By Jeff A on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

Kenny –
    Don’t worry, it’s less than the Browns at least.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

I see Lamar Louis is sitting out. Was he hobbled before the game Sunday?

If Louis, Stephan Taylor, Justin Bethel were all hobbled, that might be the explanation for the poor special teams and BAs decision to kick it out of the endzone after the penalty.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Louis

He was on the injury report last week with a knee.

10. By Scott H on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

This breakdown illustrates just how amazing it is that Fitz has had the career numbers he has had. Wow. I had forgotten that he even played with some of these guys. Or, that some of them played with him. Richard Bartell?? Man, hate to say it but….he sure did have to suffer through some really bad QB’s.

It is amazing that Stanton is not on the list.

I’m also somewhat amazed that his TD’s from Warner are still close to double what he has from Palmer.

And you would have to say that McCown is the best QB he ever played with NOT named Warner or Palmer. That seems to say something pretty significant, too.

Anyway….another milestone for Fitz. But we all know what he REALLY wants at this point.

I just ordered the new t-shirt from the team shop! Am thinking of keeping it in the bag until the day of his induction at Canton. Although I WOULD prefer to be wearing a SB jersey that day…..

11. By Luis on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

Can we give that asu ballage guy a red jersey?

12. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

Yes, the cards get a CB !!! OK, an injured CB, but a real CB.

Tharold Simon was released by the seahawks and the cards just grabbed him.
    A 5th round pick in 2013, he is a huge CB.

If he put on Richard Sherman’s jersey, you would think it is Sherman. Not just in looks but in the game style also.

Watch this youtube video below. Watch how fluid his hips are. Watch how he gets his head around and plays the ball. He is very good at locating and making a play while the ball is in the air.

Only issue is he will look in at the QB at times and lose his man, but that is easily corrected. This guy, if healthy, could be very good. I love this pick up but injured foot in two of his four years isn’t good. Seattle finally gave up on him. If he can get healthy, we may have our answer at CB.

Darren, is he healthy now or is it a wait and see regarding his foot?

Here is his LSU tape

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Simon

As far as I know he is healthy. Did not play in the opener.

14. By Brendan Barbeito on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

If Fitz had a top shelf QB throwing to him his whole career,there’s no doubt in my mind he would have come close, possibly even surpassed what Jerry Rice was able to do. I mean look at his Catch to Drop ratio. Greatest. Hands. Ever.

15. By Harb on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

I think this article is slightly flawed. It claims Fitz has not scored on 4 teams yet it lists the Steelers. Did not Fitz score a TD in the Superbowl against them? Yes he did, 2 of them, a 1 yard and a 64 yard TD.

16. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

Harb —

RE: Steelers

And, once again, I’ll remind that when you are talking about records, as I noted in the text, playoffs do not count.

The teams he has not scored against are in the regular season. Playoff TDs don’t count in this context. Never have.

17. By clssylssy on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

Very nice post Darren and an upbeat change of pace…Kudos! As I’ve stated numerous times before, in order to put up the numbers, the QB has to throw you the ball which I think is the biggest difference between his numbers with Warner and Palmer; he was Kurt’s main go-to guy whereas, Palmer just started using him more out of desperation and due to his change in role. Quite an amazing player who still gives me goose bumps when doing all the things only Fitz can do, such a complete player and role model.
    On a different note…about the Color Rush uniforms, kinda surprised there have been no comments. Not quite sure how I feel. On the one hand they look totally bad-to-the-bone and hot but then again they aren’t especially unique to the point that we won’t even be wearing them this year because they are so similar to the 9ers who we will play on TNF. Seems like the Division Champion should get some preference? Next year we’ll be wearing last season’s duds…something wrong with that picture!
    I’m very encouraged that we signed a Corner from LSU whose played with Peterson, Mathieu, and Minter and who comes with rave reviews from Richard Sherman. Just hope he is healthy and his foot problems are behind him!
    This is going to be a tough game and I’m hoping that the “energetic practice” from today can carry into Sunday. GO CARDS, TIME TO GET BACK TO WINNING!

18. By Erik on Sep 14, 2016 | Reply

I’m excited about the Simon signing! I hope things work out. I was really upset at Keim for a bit there, but it has been a few days now and I have calmed down. I do think he actually did an ok job addressing the cb position in the off season. He went out and signed Mike Jenkins, who I feel would have been the #2 cb in week 1 if he hadn’t freakishly injured his leg. These things happen unfortunately. Now, he didn’t accumulate depth and they are scrambling. I can’t really defend him there, but I do maintain they actually would have had a decent#2 had Jenkins stayed healthy.

19. By Jon Elder on Sep 15, 2016 | Reply

Keim’s three biggest mistakes as GM in terms of free agency all happened this season in my opinion

1. Letting Jerraud Powers walk. Not the biggest player, but clearly the biggest mistake. The guy signed in Baltimore on a one year deal for 1.75 million including signing bonuses, ($750,000 guaranteed). That should have been a no-brainer resigning, and its now costing us big time.

2. Keim’s second biggest mistake: Signing Justin Bethel to a mega-contract before he had earned it on the field

3. Lastly, letting Dwight Freeney walk. As Sunday showed, you can NEVER have too many guys who can rush the passer. Just having him around to teach the younger guys would have been worth the money. He signed for peanuts in Atlanta.

Just my opinion for what it is worth

20. By Eric G on Sep 15, 2016 | Reply

Love the Simon signing. I am literally stunned that the Seahawks, knowing full well we desperately needed help at CB, didn’t try to trade him to us. I’m willing to bet they would have got a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. I’m really stunned that they waived him for us to pick him up at no cost. Awesome.

21. By Scott H on Sep 15, 2016 | Reply

On the CB topic, anyone else feeling as bad for Brandon Williams as I am?? This poor kid…..he was pushed into a starting role out of necessity due to injuries to other guys. It is not his fault that he isn’t better than he is or more ready than he is right now. Maybe he’ll get there as we go. But he was not ready to handle this in Week One and got pretty badly exposed. Their problems at the CB position are now drawing a lot of attention right now and it just seems like all of that is un-fairly putting the spot-light on Williams. Again, a shame for him. I hope h hangs in there, stays focused, and continues to work on getting better. Would be great to see him get the hang of it and start to assert himself just as this defense starts to roll ( HOPEFULLY ) a few weeks down the road. And if happens any sonner than that, I’m perfectly OK with that!

In the mean time, let’s see what this kid from the Seahawks can do. Unfortunately, he can’t really step right in, right now and solve the problem in Week 2. But we needed something and he is something.

We are contending with TWO stud WR’s this week and PP can’t cover them both. Been saying it all along, the pass rush needs to be helping us out on the back end and they didn’t get it done in Week One. Not nearly with enough consistency, anyway. Need MUCH more from that part of the defense this week.

22. By CDR S on Sep 15, 2016 | Reply

Near the conclusion of the game in Cleveland last year Fitz caught a TD and rolled his ankle in the process. When he limped over to the trainer’s table, Coach Goodwin grabbed his gloves, jogged over to the sideline and handed them to my 8 year old son.

Larry happens to be my son’s all time favorite player and we wanted to memorialize the whole experience in a shadow box one day (my son’s jersey, the game program, a photo, and the game worn gloves). Would Mr. Helms know what #TD that one was?

There is a lot more to the story… I am an active duty navy officer, had been on deployment for 18 months, when I got home just in time for Halloween my wife surprised the family and had us pile into the minivan after trick-o-treating and drive through the night from DC to Cleveland. The Cards had an amazing comeback and it was my son’s first NFL game.

Thanks!

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2016 | Reply

CDR S –

RE: Fitz Cleveland TD

The Cleveland TD was No. 96.

24. By CDR S on Sep 15, 2016 | Reply

Thank you!

Hope to make a trip out to AZ this year. My family have been to a bunch of away games, games in St Louis and at Sun Devil, but I have never been to U of P. We run in the local Pat’s Run satellites in DC (and my kids know all about #40), but coming to U of P and showing them Pat’s statue is something I am really looking forward to!

Take care.

25. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 15, 2016 | Reply

When I look up Simon’s years at LSU, I am reminded of how many great players at LSU there have been in the last few years. It made me think, what if the cards only drafted LSU players?
    I found this interesting and also realized I have too much time on my hands.

In 2011 the draft would have been,
    1. No round one so trade down to Jalen Collins – CB
    2. Danielle Hunter – Pass Rusher
    3. Kwon Alexander – LB
    2016
    1. drop to round 2 – Deion Jones
    4 – Rashad Robinson CB

OK, so, if you only took the best available LSU player at the spot the cards pick, you would be far better off than what the cards picked. Think about it,

Drafting isn’t that difficult. Just take LSU players in first 3 rounds.
    Our safeties would be great, maybe the best tandem in Matheu and Reid
    Our Dline would be better with Brockers added
    Our ILBs would be much much better, with Alexander and Jones. Two very good young LBs
    OLB, Hunter is better than Golden
    Landry would be arguably better than Floyd
    CB would be much better with Claiborne and PP and 3 young guys backing up.
    A stud guard who would have saved 6 mil in cap for Mathis
    At RB, well I like DJ and CJ better, but Hill is pretty good.

Just found it interesting.

26. By Jesus on Sep 17, 2016 | Reply

Did you all notice John Skelton (7) to Fitz, That boy knew what side his bread was buttered………………………Whizenpunt ran him out of town!
    Denny Green’s other guy (McCown (12) also knew who to target.

How Fitz goes , so go our Cards………………Love me Some Fitz!

2. Oct 5, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Palmer-less Wednesday before the 49ers