Fitzgerald uses late mother’s voice for inspiration

Posted by Darren Urban on September 15, 2016 – 3:03 pm

Larry Fitzgerald has a new commercial out — it debuted during “Sunday Night Football” — for the University of Phoenix. If you recall, Fitz recently (and finally) finished his coursework through the school to receive his college degree. It was a promise he made to his mother before she passed away from breast cancer when Fitzgerald was still at the University of Pittsburgh.

This commercial has Fitz talking about that achievement, and how he listens to an old answering machine greeting from his mother to still talk to her. It’s an emotional spot.

Fitzgerald said today it wasn’t hard for him to share his mom’s voice with the public, because her voice — and his memories — inspire him all the time.

“I listen to it a lot,” Fitzgerald said. “My mom is someone I use constantly for inspiration. A lot of things she went through … I’m hurting, I’m sore, I’m not feeling great and I don’t want to practice or deal with something, I remember my mom. For instance, going through chemotherapy and I’d come upstairs and I see her throwing up in the bathroom and I still see her wipe her mouth and clean herself up and go to work and carry on with her business.

“That’s the kind of mentality and discipline she had no matter what the obstacle was and I kind of try to use that as inspiration. Whatever life throws at you, you can either lay down or you can get up and keep fighting.”

Tags:

6 Responses to “Fitzgerald uses late mother’s voice for inspiration”

1. By Don Zerbst on Sep 15, 2016 | Reply

This really hits home with me. I lost my Mom to pancreas cancer in 1992 – she was only 55 years old. To this day, I wonder how it could have been. I wish I had thought to record her voice, though I can still hear her in my mind. Larry, if you were just an ordinary guy, I’d still respect you immensely for never forgetting your Mom, the one who gave you life. Go Cardinals!

2. By Dr. G on Sep 15, 2016 | Reply

Well, you don’t have to be an NFL All Star to get motivation from a fantastic parent, family member or friend. Whatever we involve ourselves in with this life, there is always at least one person who we can lean on emotionally, even when they don’t know it. …my wood shop teacher, some of my coaches.

Good role models are there if we look hard enough… Fitz surely has many role models, but his mom is special to him… Go Fitz, you have more kids than just your own who will make you their own…some you will never know…love the children… ❤👫 and football…🏉…

3. By Scott H on Sep 16, 2016 | Reply

I saw the commercial and it was very touching. I can relate…I still have my dad’s cell number in my phone. And I kept his phone active for awhile after his passing so I could call and hear his voice.

I hope Larry will be able to call her In Feb and tell her he will be getting a SB ring.

4. By Wilson on Sep 16, 2016 | Reply

Acompanho sempre os cardinals na NFL e torço muito !!!!
    GO CARDINALS.

5. By Eazy E on Sep 17, 2016 | Reply

One of the best commercials I’ve ever seen!!!

6. By Connie Y on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I’m a midwest mom with 2 adult sons, both of whom I’m quite proud. Larry Fitzgerald’s new commercial is absolutely heartwarming and brilliant. It’s what every mom loves to hear no matter how old she or her children are. You pray every day that what and how you tried to teach them will somehow make them better people. Larry, if I go before you and I see your mom in heaven, I will tell her what her son did to make himself better…….he kept a promise to his mom. I don’t know you Larry but THANKS on behalf of all moms!