Floyd enters concussion protocol

Posted by Darren Urban on September 26, 2016 – 1:10 pm

Wide receiver Michael Floyd was taken off the field in the first half of Sunday’s game after the independent spotter decided Floyd’s banging of his head on the turf after going up for a pass warranted a concussion check. Floyd came out briefly before returning, having been cleared. But coach Bruce Arians said Floyd will enter the concussion protocol after he had a headache Monday.

“We just want to be very safe with him,” Arians said.

Floyd is off to a slow start this season, although he did have four catches for 65 yards Sunday (on 11 targets). But Floyd also wasn’t on the same page as Carson Palmer on a Palmer end-zone interception, with Palmer expecting Floyd to cut in front of the defensive back, Arians said. Floyd also dropped a probable first-down catch on the very first play of the game, which seemed to set a tone for a rough day.

It wasn’t the only injury news. Tight end Troy Niklas has a wrist injury “that could be severe,” Arians said, while punter Drew Butler is dealing with an ankle sprain and Achilles problem that will prevent him from punting. Arians said the Cardinals may have two punters active on Sunday so Butler can continue to hold for kicker Chandler Catanzaro.

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to “Floyd enters concussion protocol”

1. By TucsonTim on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

“We just want to be very safe with him,” Arians said

Translation: We’re trying to figure out how Michael has forgotten the whole play book; how he doesn’t know to make a cut in front of a defender; how he forgot to line up on the tight end; and how his brain, eyes and hands seem have become dissociated from one another.

BA is a funny guy…brutally honest.

BTW if you don’t change long snappers, you might want to look for a much taller holder. How about Fells, he’s got good hands and with that basketball background he could probably jump high enough.

2. By Miamiredbird on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Whenever the downward spiral begins (this year, next), its going to be for quite some time. Mainly because as in the past few decades, this team has yet to invest or find a LONG TERM solution at QB. Its always been band aids. They are here for 3 to 4 years max and thats it.

3. By steve on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Michael Floyd is an incredibly talented receiver but he was awful yesterday and these annual slow starts of his make me wonder sometimes how focused/mature he is in general. Perhaps he is dealing with some off the field issues that are hindering his focus?

4. By Dr. G. on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Darren, This is a short copy of my previous…I would really like your take on this… Is this worth passing on? Thx… ((I know you got a hundred posts at one time…no rush))

With all the new 120 to 250 mega pixel cameras out now, don’t BA and Boettcher know when they hold up the play cards to cover their mouths that anyone can blow up those cards like Felix Baumgartner’s balloon in order to read the info in serious detail..? Naive? We’re in a new age now.

You can’t read my lips guys, but here is my play card if you’re interested…!!! They could to put a sheet over it.

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Playsheets

I’m not sure it makes a difference — you’d have to be able to read it but somehow know what plays are which on the field — but I’ll mention it.

6. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

3-4 years ???? Maybe the window is closing sooner.

Offensive line
    LT – the 29 year old Veldheer’s cap number doubles the next two years and is a FA in 2019. Thought was Humphries would move to LT eventually, but does anyone think that is going to work?
    LG – Iupati’s cap number goes from 5.7 to 9.2 million next year and he will be 30. He is a FA in 2020
    Center – Boehm is the future center, but not beating out journeyman Shipley is not a good start
    RG – 35 year old Evan Mathis signs a one year deal, with Watford becoming a FA after 2016
    RT – Humphries sat his whole rookies year and had a rough game yesterday. Future LT ???

Fitz – May retire and is signed through 2017
    Floyd is a FA at the end of the year
    John Brown is a FA in 2018
    Jaron Brown is a FA in 2017

Palmer is signed with 23 million cap hit in 2017 for the 37 yr old.
    Stanton is a 4 million cap hit in 2017

Good shape with 3rd round pick David Johnson. He is a FA in 2019

On Defense
    DE – Campbell is a FA
    NT- Peters signed through 2017
    DE Frostee Rucker is a FA
    With Gunter only with 1 tackle in 3 games, and Nkemdiche not good enough to play, not sure who fills these spots.
    OLB – Chandler Jones is a FA and to franchise him will be around 14 million in 2017
    OLB – Golden is set through 2018
    ILB – Kevin Minter is a FA
    ILB – Bucannon is signed through 2017
    CB – Peterson is signed through 2020 and counts as 13 million against the cap
    CB – Marcus Cooper is a FA at the end of the year
    S – Tony Jefferson is a FA at the end of year
    S – Tyrann Matheu is the highest paid safety signed through 2022. His cap number in 2017 is 8 million

These 7 players, TM, PP, Jones, Palmer, Fitz Veldheer and Iupati will account for 93 million of cap in 2017.
    The problem is, because of poor drafts, you can’t afford to lose any of them. So, who plays the DLine? Can you pay Jefferson? Who is the RG? Worst of all, If Fitz retires, who are your receivers? Overpay Floyd?

BTW, that awesome contract to Bethel has him at 5.25 mil cap hit in 17 for a special teamer.

The defense could be fine if you can sign Cooper and Jefferson (big ifs), but the offense could be a mess. With no QB of the future, Palmer goes down or retires, hello 5-11’s again.

7. By D on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

If I were S. Keim, I would present Ja. Brown a contract extension. He has outplayed Mr. Floyd so far this year, plus he is a good special teams player.

Guessing some the following players will be visiting Tempe on Tues:

Justin Drescher
    Tanner Purdum
    Greg Tanner
    Brett Goode

All LS.

8. By Scott H on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Well, Floyd needs to do the right thing for his health / safety / well-being.

Now for the brutal honesty – he has been coming up REAL SMALL so far this year through the first 3 games. And during a contract year???? Really? I’m willing to consider that it may not all be his fault, but….bottom line, he is just not living up to the potential he appears to have. In that regard, he may be the perfect poster child for this team right now.

Two things are just about to make me lose my damn mind right now, and the first is the observation that Palmer and the WR’s just don’t seem to have the same chemistry they had last season. WHAT???? You gotta be kidding me. The QB is the same. The WR’s are the same. The offensive coordinator is the same. The offense is the same. Given all that, can someone tell me what has changed that accounts for the chemistry not being as good???? OMG, I cannot believe that is even a possibility. But if it is…..again, WHAT WAS EVERYBODY DOING DURING THE DAMN OFF-SEASON??? Spending too much time on the red carpet for the All Or Nothing premiere party?? That whole thing seemed really cool at the time. Right now? I’m wishing we had never drawn all the attention to ourselves.

The 2nd is Butler and hearing that we now may have to carry two PUNTERS because Butler has to continue doing the holding. For Pete’s sake, can we just find someone who is a better punter ( shouldn’t really be that hard, folks ) and teach that guy to hold????

Insert the sound of my head exploding at this point. Butler is the personification of how this team has failed to pay attention to their special teams. That position should have been up-graded by now. Now, our below-average punter gets hurt and we have to drag him along so he can do the holding. And give a roster spot to another punter.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

All —

RE: Comments

I know not everyone will see this, but if you drop a curse word in a comment, I’m just going to delete it, period.

10. By clssylssy on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

When viewing Floyd’s head bouncing off the ground, it appeared as if he sustained a contrecoup injury which can be a very serious traumatic brain injury in which the brain is bruised. I’m glad they are taking this seriously and hope they don’t rush him back into the lineup. He needs to recover and Jaron Brown can step into the #2 position.
    Receivers are plentiful in the draft and we need to start grabbing big bodied, physical guys rather than the little speedsters (who haven’t proven to be the answer or durable).
    JTDG–good analysis and I have to wonder if Keim couldn’t ask PP to restructure his contract (in the same way Fitz did so P could get paid) and $60 M guaranteed to the Honey Badger wasn’t perhaps a bit premature and over the top…odds of his knees lasting that long?
    When I say it, I am a “negative Nancy” however, as pointed out by others, this is the roster Keim built, these are the coaches who answer to him, so it’s up to him to fix the problems, whether it means getting more consulting help to pump up the brain trust or finding viable talent.
    It’s probably me, but I get the impression that sometimes our biggest issues boil down to stubborn arrogance and a refusal to admitting a problem exists until everything is falling apart.
    The Rams are now #1 in the Division with a 17 point differential and they went into last week’s game without even having scored a TD! Time to get this right!

11. By Pitt on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

The fact is this team is struggling and worst of all the coach won’t take any responsibility for it. Calling out players is ridiculous if you aren’t willing to call yourself out.
    The play calling this past game was the worst yet all season. Puts the team behind then expects the team to just catch up. Sounds to me like a repeat of the steelers days.
    As for Floyd, we need to stop expecting him to be the next Fitz, he’s an average reciever which we drafted to high.
    I’ve been saying the same thing since the end of last season, you can’t have the same game plan for every game and expect to win. All defenses know what to expect from the cards offense which is to go deep. Take that away and you have what we have now, a struggling team with no answer.

12. By texascard on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Miamiredbird. Jtdg.
    Yall are so right. This is the year. The future is very very murky. It has to be this year. And this start looks bad. Real bad.
    I commend you on your profanity stance.

13. By dynosoar on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Regarding Josh Dobbs, that’s been my assessment, but you watch QBs with a different eye than I do and I wanted your thoughts. I loved what he did against Florida after halftime, but the first half was miserable.

Is there anyone on your radar now? I’m not trying to replace Carson Palmer, but it’s intriguing to see how Dak is playing.

Thanks for the response.

14. By creditcard on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Totally concur with Scott. It has been of no surprise that the Card’s special teams is anything but special. They had an entire off season to correct, and get appropriate personnel. The results speak for themselves.

I also think the special teams play is just an outcome of the poor coaching and decision making involved. During the Patriot game, the Cards finally take the lead, and an infraction by the Patriots; the Cards got to kick-off at the 50. You would think a knuckling squib kick or an outrageously high kick between the 5 and goal line tucked in the corner would have been kicked. Instead, the Cards kick the ball totally out of the end zone, giving the Patriots the ball at the 25. Which that drive lead to the Patriots taking the lead back with a field goal. Unbelievable stupidity to whomever called the play.

Horrific special team play calling together with awful play = current hideous state of affairs by the Card’s special teams.

15. By creditcard on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

The Card organization needs to read these posts. Not so much about personnel, play calling, or second guessing drafts; but rather what verbs are being used to describe the team’s play. For instance:
    Horrific, pathetic, awful, dismal, un-inspired, weak, predictable, man-handled, rotten, stinker, worthless, confused …. list goes on. Theses are not words of hope, rather more of a hopeless state of affairs

16. By Havasu Tom on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Hi Darren
    Tough start. However a few changes are needed. Bring Tyrann back to his normal position. Don’t script 30 plays. It’s the 2nd qtr. before we’re free flowing the plays. Floyd, I love you but it’s time to start Jaron. John Brown, what ever is wrong, sit yourself, lets start J.J. to the long snapper, I know your a rookie, you get 1 more game.
    Thanks Darren

17. By COCards on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

>>if you drop a curse word in a comment, I’m just going to delete it, period.

Thank you very much Darren. Keep this forum professional. I sure appreciate all that you do.

18. By Dr. G. on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

– jtdg – as I review your post on personnel and cap, it’s not a pleasant scenario for 2017 and beyond for Keim & Co. to negotiate. The cap will go up, but it still looms gloomy. I keep tabs on these things, but looking at the big picture is serious business. Some contracts are unnecessarily bloated as you allude.

And, as some of us rant regularly, we need to have a serious continual search ((keep trying)) for the QB heir apparent…and then GROOM him…! Other teams are running by us on this position every year. Be well Cards Fans…

19. By Marlin on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Arians is a great coach, but he is too loyal to his assistant coaches. That’s because he was a career assistant. Bottom line is : Goodwin is not a coordinator, Boetcher is not working out, Amos should have been fired 2 years ago.

20. By clssylssy on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Thanks for the reminder. I think you can agree that frustrations have been running uncharacteristically high the last few weeks and it’s sometimes easy to slip and forget we’re in a public forum where “being real” may not be appropriate. I also believe that many may hear BA’s colorful language and get the idea it’s a free pass to “let it all hang out”…monkey see, monkey do, etc.
    You have one of the better blogs I’ve seen and we all need to maintain high standards.

21. By sbrown on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

creditcard –
    I agree with you, sitting in the stadium, so NE gets the 15 yard personal foul on the Cardinals extra point. So Cards get to kick off from the 50, now result is NE ball on the 25 as the kickoff goes out of the endzone.

So my questions is where was the loss of yards for the foul ?
    I wish the League would just place the ball on the 10 yard line, so that would have had NE the ball there to start their drive.
    Nowhere else in the game can you commit a 15 yard PF, and in the end, have no yards taken away.

22. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

I’ll give you a name that is controversial. Chad Kelly, Ole Miss.

The nephew of the great Jim Kelly had a reputation as a spoiled brat and was kicked out of Clemson Football, but seems to have got his stuff together now.

Tough, competitive with a very strong arm. Way to early but right now, he is the guy I am watching.

65% completions, 300 yds per game, 12 tds to 3 picks. and that is against FSU, Alabama, and Georgia.

23. By tom on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

————why is niklas on the roster.the guy is as injury prone as any player to ever play game.count his seasons and count games played.he has more seasons than games played.he is taking a roster spot,he is a waste.might be a nice guy,but does not belong on nfl roster,this has went on since he came into league.