Keim: Nine tryout players after loss

Posted by Darren Urban on September 26, 2016 – 8:14 am

The Cardinals are 1-2. They played one of their worst games of the Bruce Arians era Sunday in Buffalo — GM Steve Keim noted it might have been topped only by the NFC Championship game — and not surprisingly, changes could be made.

Keim, during his appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7 Monday, said the Cardinals will bring in nine players for tryouts Tuesday. If any of them can help, Keim said, “we will churn this roster.” (He didn’t say who or what positions were coming in.)

It’s not about sending a message. “I don’t make moves just to send a message,” Keim said. “but there is no doubt if you show a tendency to pull the trigger, they understand downstairs (in the locker room) if you don’t consistently produce, there will be changes made.”

One of those players could be long snapper Kam Canaday. Keim was asked if the big hit Canaday took on the first punt of the day — the one on which Drew Butler re-sprained his ankle — could have impacted his bad snap later. Keim noted Canaday’s other snaps seemed fine. “It’s not about excuses,” Keim said. “Bottom line, he’s got to get it done. He hasn’t on at least two instances.”

— Keim talked much about his disappointment, and reiterated his feelings after the first game (which, as a quick aside, too many fans thought he was jabbing fans, when he was talking about the everyone’s feelings, including his own.) “When you lose it feels like the sky is falling, when you win everything is great,” Keim said, noting that not only were there problems in all three phases of the game, but the team’s best players, the Pro Bowl players, did not play well.

Still, “I feel confident coach will have these guys ready to go Sunday,” Keim added.

— Admittedly frustrated, figuring out answers “is what I get paid to do,” Keim said. “The difficult balance is making smart decisions and making decisions based on emotions.”

“You have to do what is best for the organization and you have to keep that in mind,” he added.

— The talent is there, Keim said. Playing consistently is another matter, and the number of “mental busts” on both sides of the ball after three weeks is distressing. He wants the Cardinals to be more physical up front. He didn’t like the confusion on the offensive line dealing with stunts by the Bills defensive lines, and he noted how many bad routes and bad throws messed up the passing game. (Another aside: It does seem like Carson Palmer and his pass catchers have nowhere near the chemistry they featured in 2015.)

— There were many things to want to see get better, but the slow start bothered Keim the most. The Cardinals got a nice defensive stop and great field position to start the game. But Michael Floyd dropped what would have been a nine- or 10-yard pass on the first play, leading to a three-and-out when that one catch would have likely set up a field goal at least.

— “It’s disappointing to be 1-2 when you have expectations,” Keim said.

Tags: , ,

60 Responses to “Keim: Nine tryout players after loss”

1. By Peni Hamill on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Well as a season ticket holder,I’m very disappointed in the team,coaching and over all the lack of heart be displayed on the field. They don’t seam to want to play,it’s almost as if they believe they should not have to show up just give them the win. 35 years I have been watching football as a season ticket holder for the UofA then in 2007 started supporting the Cardinals when old man handed the rains to his son. They are not having any energy energy,heart. Just saying coaching has something about this.

2. By sportsblogger16 on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Hopefully the cardinals can right the ship. As I remember, in the first year of Arians they got off to a slow start and got really hot. Todd bowles defense started slow too and people were calling for his head. Trust in BA and SK to get this turned around.

3. By kolb2fitz on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Cardinals better win next week or the season is over. Hot Seat for arians?

4. By Mike Miller on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

They were inside the Playbook…They were beaten to the punch on everyplay.Thats coaching not players.

5. By texascard on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Blame it on the long snapper. That’s the front office spin of the day. Never mind that c jones is a joke. Kim diche is a bust. B Williams is on you as well Keim. D line is awful. Keim if you blame it on a snapper then you sir are the one making excuses. And when you say you are going to churn the roster it is just another way to say cards will be average. Way to put together a roster then blame the very roster you assembled. Get off your knees Keim

6. By lacardinalsfan on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Did anyone ask the coach or Keim why the dropped ball before the Mccoy TD was not challenged? There needs to be accountability on that non challenge as everyone with a TV saw that the ball hit the ground. There was a penalty on the play, PLENTY of time for SOMEONE in the booth to relay that information to BA. What went wrong on that? Seemed to be a HUGE game changer and no explination on how it was missed? Was BA told to challenge and decided not to? Was the entire Cardinals coaching staff in the booth not looking at the replay that EVERYONE saw? Would love to hear what happened with that sequence.

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

lacardinals —

RE: Dropped pass

Cards never saw an angle that showed a drop before next play snapped.

8. By joe holst on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

It eats me to see Dak Prescott looking like a superstar when we draft Evan broehm instead.

9. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

That game was brutal to watch, Thank goodness we are finally changing the holder and long snapper and its early enough in season. But we are down looking up. Funny how the offense has played together for a years now and cannot be on the same page??? Look at Sam Bradford or Carson Wentz or Dak Prescott, they are only playing their first year in the system and they look like they been playing together for years? That excuse of not being on the same page shouldn’t be an excuse at this point! Come on Cards get over that Hollywood hype and last years team. We are tied for last this year if you need a wake up call !!!
    GO CARDS!!!

10. By Eric G on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

First and foremost, get rid of Canaday, anyone is better than him. Even if he had no errors like this in college, it’s in his head now and it ain’t going away. He cost us the Pats game and likely cost a comeback bid in this game. His play cost us at least 11 points yesterday. he’s got to go!!!!

Second, BA needs to get rid of the 30 scripted plays to start the game. Every game the Cards start out slow until after the 30 plays are done. Yesterday resulted in 2 freaking yards and 0 first downs from it. Time to drop the idea.

This team better get its act together before I fly from Philly to San Fran for that Thursday night game. I want a win to make it 2 in a row. It’s the only game I’m going to see in person this year so it better be a win.

11. By Chuck 1 on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

12. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

This was a horrible game. We were out coached, out played, and beat down.

So many fans have pointed at Betchler and I agree. So many things I don’t like that he does, from his zones to how he is using Badger.

Many have pointed at BA. Yes, it seems that if you make this team drive down the field at 3-4 yards at a time, they will become impatient and begin throwing long. I’ve seen it in both the Pats and Now the Bills game. Teams are taking away the deep pass and the cards seem to have no answers.

I heard someone say, and I totally agree, where is this depth at WR? It seems we have Fitz and ??? Also, where is this depth at DLine? You lose Rucker and move Mauro out to OLB and this team has no one to step up. Trade a Dlineman? For what?

Palmer seemed so frustrated. Between Floyd and the Browns, he got zero help. Floyd dropped three balls and ran some of the worst routes I have seen. Palmer, after a pick, got in to it with Floyd on the sideline. Floyd was making an excuse and Palmer grabbed the surface pro and showed him how his route wasnt sharp. At this point, our weakest area seems to be our receivers. Maybe rethink the game plan and hit Fitz, TEs and RBs and then maybe once a quarter take a shot down field to one of the Browns.

13. By Marcelof on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I woke up Sunday with a hell of a hangover – great time by the way – expecting if not an easy one a sure-win game, but what I saw was not something of like that. What has happened to the sync between #3 and his weapons? the multiple times I saw Palmer in the pocket with over 4s to throw the football I thought to myself he was about to punish their lack of pass rush, but in the end those were all interceptions justified by what? poor throws? poor routes?
    I may be wrong, but the last two Interceptions the passes seemed a little underthrown.

Despite that 60-yard-thing-of-a-beauty Field Goal, Special teams worry me way too much.

We got a trio of outstanding RB although it seems we relying only on the passing game, plus I haven’t seen a formation with two of them on the field yet. Couldn’t D be a big blocker for C?

I still believe – and a lot – in this much-talented team, but THEY must prove this talent ain’t just a hype. Come on Cards, I wanna make a toast for this superbowl ring all the way from Brazil.

14. By faster on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

tryout of free agents? why not call some of the rebuilding teams and make a trade for a senior long snapper (and maybe a punter)?
    and if there is no better player on the market, at least offer welter a additional place at staff for coaching nervous long snappers.

15. By TLT on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Missed Mathis and Red Bryant ( understand he got cut, shouldn’t have).

IF 32 recovers that strip; if DJ doesn’t hit Niklas’ heel at 8 yd line, we win.

A lot of weird plays, bad play, bad luck; still change 2 plays above, we win.

Reminds of PGA commercial, raining dogs and cats, guy who wants to play, sitting in rain hut, drenched, new guy shows up to seek refuge, guy says “its barely raining now, you’ll see we’ll be playing, looks like its clearing, see..” as the rain pours out of the sky…

C. Palmer is fine. went 11 qtrs no Int, 4 in Q4 trailing by 2 TDs, he decided to force it no matter what, I applaud him for tryng, not denigrate him for failing..

Cards 27, Rams 17

16. By dobie on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Arians is predictable I an starting to wonder about Battchar I think this All or Nothing got to there head and mentally they have lost it and Palmer telegraph hes throws he does not see all the field there are other men open out there and his screen passes are being bated down by defense players coming at him I thinking his eye sight is not good and he lacks consistency is this what I payed more for tickets to see this shit they have to win the rest of the games to get home field advantage or other teams have to lose some games too all I ca say team get your shit together but I am route for the home team kind of a guy and there is one thing I hate it when the visiting team wins I have to hear there crap all the way to the parking lots the team loses they feel bad but you still get payed me I drive 150 miles pay for gas buy stuff that is over price and not the best tasting stuff but I am a die hard fan so give me something to cheer about ( PLAY WITH YOUR HEADS AND THE BODY WILL FALLOW ) you guys are a good team but you need to work on great if people don’t like what I just wrote tough shit

17. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

But this Game, and season, 2016, is a product of Steve Keim. Yes, I’ll go there. Let me explain.

In 2013, He used his first 2 rounds on a bust of a guard and a very average LB. He then came back and used his first two picks on another very average LB and a seldom used TE. He replaced good players with ones not as good.

In 2013, the cards had Dansby and Washington, their stats combined were,
    200 tackles, 9 1/2 sacks, an incredible 30 passes defensed, and 6 ints. and Washington only played 12 games. Projected out they would have 225 tackles, 34 pass defensed, 7 picks and 10 1/2 sacks.
    In 2015, Minter and Bucannon in 16 games each combined for;
    200 tackles, 3 1/2 sacks, only 5 passes defensed, and 1 INT.

What does this tell you? Keim replaced good LBs who could play both the run and pass with guys who are not playmakers that can only play in the box. Why is that bad? Because Bowles could use his safeties in all kinds of ways and not worry about his LBs in coverage. He also could shoot the A gaps and get sacks with his LBs. Betchler isn’t getting that luxury.

The offensive line. In 2013, he had a bust in Cooper. In his place where he was suppose to get multiple pro bowls, was a guy who really struggled sunday in Watford. In 2015, he drafted Humphries who did not play at all in 2015 and was absolutely abused by Jerry Hughes Sunday. In 2016, needing a starting center, he choose to wait till round 4 and went with a journeyman who was blown up by Kyle Williams. Palmer was sacked and hit on almost every play. This was a direct result of Keim’s poor drafting on the Oline.

This year he gave us a Dlineman who was so bad in game one and then is not dressed out in the next two. I know , injury is the excuse. As BA put it, he wasn’t doing well before his injury.

You can’t keep missing in the first two rounds of the draft and expect vets on 1 year deals to continue to save you. I beg to differ with many of you.
    Where is the talent?

We have a weak center and right side of the line as we hope our 35 year old guard on a one year deal can help? Our ILBs who can only play inside the tackles and make no game changing plays? A disappointing WR in Floyd who seems checked out? Talented? Are you sure, he doesn’t show it. Our Dline that is so deep, yet have zero sacks? Where will they be when Campbell and Rucker leave? No, we have a couple of good OLBs, a stud CB, and two good safeties, with a bunch of average guys and aging vets. On offense, you have Fitz, Palmer and Johnson and a left side of the line. What happens when Palmer and Fitz retire?

Just not sure we are loaded with talent. Not seeing it on the field anyway. You are starting to see the results of 4 years of drafting showing up and it isn’t good enough.

One more thing Jefferson has 30 tackles as a safety compared to Minters 13 and Bucannons 15 , yet, we never offered him a long term deal. In Keim we Trust.

18. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

When Floyd botched that catch on our very first play, I turned to my 14-year-old son and said, “Hope that’s not how today is going to go.”

And then it went exactly that way, all day.

19. By Butch Callahan on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I don’t know what has happened this year, It just seems like they’ve lost their passion. I just hope you get it back.
    I love you guys

20. By Ronald on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

This year Cardinals team played very poorly like the days of Ken Wiz team. No Cardinals team will beat the group that went to Super Bowl. Kurt Warner FTW!

21. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Therefore, according to Keim, 2 of the worst games in the Arians/Keim-GM era have come in their last 4 games.

Things haven’t been the same since Seattle blew the Cardinals out 36-6 at home in week 16 last year. They didn’t play well against the Packers the next week, but Larry saved them. So really, 5 bad games in their last 6.

As for that Arians much talked-about home-field advantage throughout the playoffs this season, not gonna happen, unless perhaps the Cards win out. Nope, not gonna happen with this year’s team.

22. By Joball on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

My analysis on why we suck:
    1) special teams: butler = horrible canaday = horrible .. can’t return or cover kicks.
    2) undersized lbs
    3) Chandler Jones is a stat chaser.. he’ll get you 16 sacks in a season but can’t cover or play the run
    4) Campbell .. gives you a great game.. dissapers for 8 games.. makes $15m a year
    5) bettcher – I know the stats say we were a top 5 defense last year but does it ever feel like that? It seems like we beat up on the bad teams and get burned by average or decent teams. Our pass rush has 4 guys running into each other on every play. It seems like our defense just depends on winning one on one matchups every time. Can’t pay for 11 superstars. No scheming .. no game planning.
    6) offense has gotten painfully predictable. Receivers are lost. We brought Back every player on offense and run the same system. How is this is possible.
    7) Michael Floyd has gotten worse every year and I fear that they’re going to sign him to a big contract next year.

23. By clssylssy on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I’m not so sure that lack of talent is the issue, but use of resources in more creative game planning might be. Our team seems to lack passion and enthusiasm for being challenged and everything they do lacks freshness, has become routine, predictable, and boring. The glaring issues that confront us have been repeatedly talked about since training camp and preseason with the expectation that they would fix themselves. This is more a management/coaching problem needing to be addressed than on the players lack of skill.
    While some adjustments to the lineup may be indicated, a “heads will roll” policy seems a little extreme and disruptive at this point. I’m a big believer in incentives and perhaps extra bonuses for sacks, interceptions catches, yds per carry, etc. after a given number, might spark some improvement and competition among players. Maybe if the team would contribute to a player’s charity for honors such as DPW, etc. it would give added recognition. Whatever the solution, it needs to be done sooner than yesterday.
    I’m not wanting to kick Carson but, he is struggling, has been struggling and rather than addressing the need for finding QB talent, BASK have completely ignored the need for a viable option. Other teams have done pretty good in solving their QB problems which we prefer to acknowledge even exist.
    If these are the only two games we lose this year and can learn from the experience I will gladly shut up…LOL, what are the odds?

24. By rod on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

When I saw the Badger cheat up to the line and rush Tyrod I though he was saying ‘I’m just going to take this game into my own hands’ and it almost worked! He’s so amazing…. He’s going to unleash this week folks, you better believe it!!

25. By TucsonTim on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

– “Another aside: It does seem like Carson Palmer and his pass catchers have nowhere near the chemistry they featured in 2015.”

Read PFF analysis of CP. It’s dismal

Interesting that Keim referenced the NFC championship game. Good analogy, except yesterday we were playing Buffalo….oh my…long long way from NFC championship quality.

You know these nine players didn’t just pop up this morning, which makes you think practice hasn’t been so perfect as BA would like everyone to believe in his brutally honest press conferences

26. By lacardinalsfan on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Thanks for the reply, hopefully someone in the booth gets the feed to nationally televised game from here on out. That way they could have seen that the ball was clearly not caught. Maybe if they had an Ipad and the Sunday Ticket we could have prevented a TD….Sorry for the snide remark, just as frustrated as everyone else. I always appreciate your back and forth.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Heard Keim, BA, Tyrann, and several others make comments like;

We think we are better than we are . Or Younger guys are not following the leaders.

How does that happen?

One of the worst franchises in the history of the NFL with ZERO Superbowl wins thinks they accomplished something cuz they started to win a few games?

They have one playoff win in the last 6 years. and repeatedly I heard on the radio from coaches and players that the team thinks they are better than they are. WOW.

Parcels always said, you are what your record says you are. The cardinals are not a superbowl contender. They are 1-2 and when they start playing like a team trying to prove something instead of a team thinking they can show up and win, maybe this gets turned around.

28. By Chuck 1 on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I’ve been questioning Keim’s draft picks for a year or two. And, what did I get for that???
    I totally agree with you.
    But, most of the posters believe that Keim has made great draft picks.

Re: Chunk plays. I agree with those who believe that Arians counts on them too much The Patriots have shown, for some time, that the short passing game can be a winning strategy.

29. By Kalsey Rock on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I wish Pat Tillman was coach for the AZ cardinals. This would’ve been a very strong team. Stop buying players and work with what you got!

30. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Darren Sproles, age 33, yesterday had six receptions for 128 yards and one touchdown. Andre Ellington yesterday had ZERO. Why is that? Not good enough? Play calling? And CJ2K has been given no opportunities either. Nor our tight ends. And yet Michael Floyd has been targeted often with little to show for it. What is going on? Something needs to change.

31. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

One other thing,

I agree with Dan Bickley on the radio.

He said (paraphrase – roughly) what GM goes into the season with a long snapper who has no experience when you think you have a superbowl contender?
    A team that thinks they have it in the bag.

32. By Joe C. on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I assume you were told they didn’t see the dropped pass? I had assumed with the PI penalty even if the pass was incomplete the result wouldn’t have changed much. If that were true it would make sense not to challenge. Do you know what the result would have been of a successful challenge vice letting it go?

33. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Joe C —

RE: Pass

Arians was asked, said they didn’t get the right replay angle in time. Was a 24-yard completion. Would’ve saved 19 yards because PP was called for defensive holding. McCoy ran clean for a 24-yard TD on next play.

34. By Isabe on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

The game was an embarrassment ugh!

35. By mark hotwire on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Carson Palmer hasn’t done a damn thing since the NFC championship game last year where he stunk it up and it has only gotten worse I don’t believe I’ve ever seen as many lob passes as this year. SMH

36. By denham48 on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

The offensive play calling is offensive…a Pop Warner team would have known what was coming from play #1 – No creativity and no courage. Coaching is the culprit in my opinion and it begins with HC believing in the guru tag placed on him. Lose the pride and play football to win…not to look good, because it makes us look bad.

37. By Michael on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I’m gonna chime in with some frustration here too, what better place? I’m really hoping to see an adjustment in the “30 scripted plays” to start the game. I can’t take many more 3 and outs that consist of zero running plays. Going deep on 1st and 10 hasn’t been working at all and is just brutal to watch.

I’m grateful to BA and Keim for making this team a perennial contender but the league has done their homework and now it’s time to adjust

38. By Armchairandy on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Why BA loves AQ is a huge mystery to me. Please call Sendline, he is far better at center. James Betcher has been calling a lot of zone; D. Cooper makes that unecessary in my opinion. Get more aggressive w the play calling Betch!

39. By Fan Mike! on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Horse feathers!! I have all the faith in the Red Gang! True Cardinal Fans never give up! Unit those two words are said “mathematically eliminated” we are in this! Boys roll up your sleeves, dig in your cleats and come out swinging!!! LETS GO!! LETS START A 13 GAMES WIN STREAK!!!!

40. By J. P.Paler on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Sunday’s game was ugly! The Bills definitely showed up for the game; they were fired up. The Cardinals on the other hand, were “fried” up. The team played uninspired football. Super Bowl?…yeah, Bruce and the team will be munching potato chips out of a bowl watching somebody else play. You want the ring?..then get nasty, show some ‘tude.

41. By Scott H on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Marcelof –

RE: Hangover

I feel like I have one right now! Hope yours’ got better. Wish our team would stop playing like THEY have hangovers.

Kevin S Mesa –

Sorry your son had to see that. Hell, I’m sorry ANY of us had to see that.

42. By Scott H on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

I’m actually going back to the previous blog here for what I’m responding to because you hit on something I was grappling with but couldn’t find the right word at the time. I was questioning things such as personnel decisions, preparation, and coaching. But in your post, you used the word leadership. And you said it, sister. For whatever reason, I think we are suffering from a lack of it from our players, especially on defense. Without an Adrian Wilson or a Larry Foote or a Dockett or a Dansby or a Cromartie…..where is it?? I really don’t see it coming from Peterson, either.

Even on offense, we seem to be somewhat leaderless. I hear JTDG pointing out how Palmer got on Floyd on the sidelines after he seemed to run the wrong route. OK. That is leadership from the QB and I love that. But….hate to say it, but when the QB throws 4 INT’s……maybe he should be careful about getting in the face of others.

Something is missing. And it FEELS like leadership is a big part of that right now.

43. By Patti Bond on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Who are the Bills and does Rex Ryan brag all week he was going to go after Carson Palmer Sunday. Yeah he copied Bill Belicheks game plan to stop us and it worked listen to Rex Ryan on post game interview he used seven secondary defenders to SHUT DOWN Arians three wide receivers same as the Patriots did to us. They took our long ball passing game away. They also knew on short and 3rd down Arians was going to throw the ball and air it out. 3rd and 1 or 2 yards our you kidding me? And we got to replace ROOKIE long snapper Camaday he BOTCHED snaps in all 3 games and lost the Patriots and Bills games for us. We did NOT have long snapper problems last season when the Cardinals went 13-3, why? NFL experts through out the league say this season’s team is NOT as good as the 2015 team that went 13-3? Rex Ryan’s O-2 Bills proved it last Sunday. We lost to much talent from the 2015 team. Arians said on post game Snapper Camaday needs to “GROW UP”, say what? This is the NFL not HS or College ball and all are over 21 these are young men already grown up! Come on coach Arians get real we do not have kids in pro football. Replace Camaday NOW!

44. By MartinK on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

The mechanics of this loss was that a rookie long snapper failed to deliver and a a good set of linebackers and safeties showed the nation how to drop back into coverage and kill the long ball. The defensive players of Buffalo are known to be versatile and Ryan asks a lot of them. For that reason they were a good candidate to beat the Cardinals based on their skill set.

Who is to blame?

1) Keim was believing his own hype when he risked the season by having two rookies fight it out for starting long snapper. Stupid if it fails and grandiose if it works.

2) Arians failed repeatedly to make a strategy adjustment at the beginning of the game when going deep didn’t work. Quarterbacks and wide receivers are human beings who can make mistakes or have a bad day. It is the coach’s job to make an adjustment, but what happened was that the coach selfishly put his philosophy of going deep over all other interests in the face of an embarrassing loss. This happened in the championship game last year and it happened Sunday when they threw a bomb on the first play after going down 0:17. Stupid if it fails and grandiose if it works. Forgive me, Bruce, for calling you stupid — nothing personal, just coaching. But you gave away the game. You had almost three quarters to establish the run, calm down special teams and get some order into the game.

Both Arians and Keim need to take a deep look at how their actions determined this loss and revert to being humble, stop believing their own hype, and letting good decisions bring them back to the excellent performance they are capable of.

45. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

JTDG and others

Re: Talent

Yeah, it’s funny how, before arriving in Arizona (and even after his first year), if you asked people to rate all the starting QB’s in the NFL, Palmer wouldn’t even make most pundits top half. There’d be the elite guys (Brady, Manning), the second tier (like Stafford and Ryan), and Palmer would be lumped in with the third tier.

Fitz was on the decline, Floyd was OK but nothing special, and so on. The only elite player anyone thought we had was PP.

But then after a few seasons of Arians’ offense, Palmer is suddenly an elite QB (MVP candidate last year), Fitz is back to being one of the NFL’s best receivers…

So, is it that they truly ARE some of the most talented guys around, or is it that the team’s system and schemes brought out the best in them? Probably a little of both.

But when you look at the guys that have been added to the team since Keim took over, it’s not screaming tons of “talent.” Yeah, we’ve added a couple very good players, like Mathieu, and I think David Johnson will turn out very good… we also have drafted several first rounders who are busts (Cooper) or average at best (Humphries).

People say the Cards are so “talented” because the team has won 34 games in the previous 3 years and lost only 14. But the talent isn’t that great. I think we had better game plans, better coaching. I’m not ready to write off Bettcher as some people are, but there definitely seems to be less of an ability to adjust mid-game than Bowles had. And Arians on offense seems to be inside his own head. It’s almost like he’s trying to live up to his no-risk-it-no-biscuit reputation, to the detriment of the team.

The team is not playing well. I think they have the capability to do so, but it starts with everyone — not just the players, but also the coaches — stepping up and taking some responsibility for their lack of preparedness.

46. By georgiebird on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Don’t blame Canaday- that is a slap in the face to all knowledgeable Cardinals’ fans.

47. By georgiebird on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I’ll sum up the game. Patrick Peterson makes a great interception at the Cards 8 yard line- but it was on a 3rd down and 23. If Peterson lets it go, the Bills are punting and the Cards are probably in much better position. Dumbest team in the NFL. Communication is a zero.

48. By clssylssy on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Hope watching Monday Night Football is mandatory homework for everyone. Perhaps our coaches can learn somethings, get some ideas, and players will see what real passion looks like in both the Saints and the Falcons.
    I hate to think about going up against Peyton/Brees in December (or the Redskins even) unless we can find our mojo and manhood…like NOW!

49. By Marcelof on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

Scott H –

yeah yeah, I’m fine now. Thanks!
    Couldn’t agree more with your statement, We could’ve been 3-0 now had we played as sobers.

Rams are coming… another tough monday?

50. By Pitt on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I totally agree with John the draft guy. This team has been band-aided together the last few years with vets on one year deals. I think we have some talent but we are definitely not stacked like the team makes it out to seem.
    One of the biggest concerns is the D-line, they have showed nothing since the tail end of last season, been pushed around and absolutely no pressure on the QB’s. Very average inside linebackers and average to above average OLB.
    Chandler Jones has been a bust as of the first 3 games. The guy gets lost throughout the game and never shows up. Has one or two sacks right now but the rest of the game he disappears.
    As for the offense, well if I can see it so can the other 31 teams, lets go deep!
    Someone should take that board from BA and give it to someone else to do the play calling, oops I forgot BA has the coaching staff rigged up so he is in charge of everything. Get ready for an average season.

51. By GARYHICKERSON on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

SINCE I’VE ALREADY BLASTED THE CARDS FOR THEIR LOSS TO BUFFALO,NOW I WILL OFFER SOME SOLUTIONS:#1 we have 3 of the best running backs in the NFL,lets use them !! ,2 back sets,catching screens and passes out of the backfield as well as running the ball#2 use our tight ends more(5 to 10 plays /game)#3 use our WR”s,less!!(when the CARDS arent trailing by more than 7pts)on D: CARDS SHOULD BLITZ LESS!! PLAY TO STOP THE RUN FIRST!!..then the cardinals won’t be so predictable…CARDINALS have another tough division game this sunday, last time we played the rams in AZ.we lost to a rookie QB. SOUND FAMILIAR?..WE NEED THIS WIN !!GO CARDINALS.

52. By NJAzCardsFan on Sep 26, 2016 | Reply

I missed this game (luckily) as the bar I went to watch it at refused to put the game on. Anyway… I think the woes of the team can be traced back to the pre-season where the starters hardly played or the first team played together at all. This is maybe why everything is out of sync on the offense.
    With the exception of the play of DJ, the Cards should trade their next 3 first round pics for a good young QB of the future. Most of the last first round pics have been busts anyway. It seems like C. Jones is a showboater, not much production. How can a NFL coach put a CB with one year experience in college, as a starter? The same goes for the long snapper. Also, we need a better punter. Poor management so far is too blame……….

53. By mitchaz on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Moves to Consider

* Stop scripting the plays—it’s just making Carson Palmer all the more programmed and robotic.
    * Whoever is assigned to tell BA when to challenge a play should be replaced.
    * Start Jaron Brown at WR in place of Michael Floyd. Jaron has earned it.
    * If Mathis can’t play, start Cole Toner at RG. Toner was the 3rd best G in pre-season, not Watford. Hopefully Mathis can play because this week’s assignment is Aaron Donald.
    * Try C Evan Boehm for a series or two if possible. It’s time to work him in some.
    * Stop throwing those ill-advised WR screens—other teams know when they are coming—plus if you are going to run them the tackle HAS to cut the DE.
    * Encourage Carson Palmer to play with emotion like he did in the second half of the Cincy game last year.
    * When behind the offense has to play with much more urgency—Palmer’s delay of game penalty was totally inexcusable and a key error in the game—and then he nearly got another one when somehow they were bailed out by the Bills calling TO.
    * Run more 2 RB sets with Chris Johnson at RB and David Johnson in the slot.
    * Re-sign DT Red Bryant. It was a mistake to waive him and this game proved it.
    * Put in a claim for the Patriots’ DT Anthony Johnson who was waived. He had 5 tackles and two QB hurries in the first 3 games and played well versus the Cardinals.
    * Sign an OLB—Okafor hasn’t been a factor, Martin is still rehabbing and they have top find a way to keep Golden’s and Jones’ legs fresh for the 4th quarter.
    * Try to coax LS Mike Leach out of retirement—give him the money and the leeway to spend the early part of each week with his family.
    * Sign Ryan Quigley as the punter and holder. He can placekick too if need be and might be better at pooch kickoffs that Catanzaro.
    * Have Gabe Martin sub for Kevin Minter on passing downs.
    * Re-assign STs coordinator Amos Jones and switch James Bettcher over the STs coordinator. Bettcher was a STs coordinator twice in college and did a very good job—that’s where he can thrive.
    * Promote Bob Sanders, Nick Rapone or Larry Foote to DC. Sanders has NFL DC experience, Rapone was an outstanding DC at Delaware and no one knows the 34 defense and how to call it better than Larry Foote.
    * The players could relate to Foote especially well and may very likely respond with a bang. In PIT and AZ, Foote had so many years of experience running the defensive huddle, calling the plays on the field and directing his teammates where to go. That experience could easily translate to the sidelines.

Note: BA’s acumen as a coach was in full view during his presser yesterday. He’s been blasting away publicly at the players—and to do that again this time would not be wise. Instead, BA emphasized taking a “positive” approach to fixing the problems. He is trying to build his stale and beleaguered team back up.

54. By faster on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

first, i miss rucker. maybe he`s not PP, not CC or a badger, but i miss him. and i hope he will stabilize the defense if and when he`s healthy back.
    second, i miss leach. as a player, but i respect his decision to retire. but why does the team not ask leach to coach?
    each and every jung player at the team has a older one to ask for advice, to help learn the NFL, only the long snapper does not. maybe it would help to bring in leach to mentor and teach canaday. at least it could not make the situation bader.
    with a better defense and some cooler heads at the special team this season could nevertheless be somthing special (my forecast was allways the superbowl, not neccessary winning it, but playing it).

55. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

faster —

RE: Leach

Leach did do a little coaching in camp and in the offseason. But his family wanted to move back East when he retired so the commute would be a bit much.

56. By Jahstone on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

RED BRYANT!! Bring him back as we sorely need a Run stopper. We obviously need a punter and long snapper. Otherwise…get your heads out of your behind!!!

57. By clssylssy on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

“Figuring out answers is what I get paid to do”…Really? That has to be one of the more priceless lines associated with the reality of our situation… since last season!
    Can we assume that Michael Bidwill will be “sending a message” to Keim if his “answers” are incorrect?

58. By georgiebird on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

The over-riding comment still stands- and no one has been able to refute it:
    The Cards have never drafted and developed a linebacker who has had a long and distinguished career with the Cardinals. And that covers close to 60 years.
    The best anyone could do is Ken Harvey who moved on to the Redskins and is in their Ring of Honor.
    Most of the Cardinals’ defensive woes over the years is the result od mediocre linebacker play. It was suicidal years ago to go to a 3-4 base defense that depends on top-flite linebacker play.

59. By Chuck 1 on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Good observation, georgiebird,

I remember when Minter was drafted, he was described as a “Thumper”. He’s been, at best, an average LB.

60. By John S on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

I’m not so sure it’s the players, plenty of blame to go around, although some obviously haven’t been up to snuff in their performance. Seems to me, if I dare say it, that we’re being out coached and too predictable on both sides of the ball. Teams have figured the Cards and Ariens out, being two steps ahead of him. Game preparation, personnel use, and play calling just seems out of whack to me… time to look in mirror.
    PS- going for speed isn’t everything, you have guys that can hold onto the ball too, make a play happen…