Black jerseys for Rams game

Posted by Darren Urban on September 27, 2016 – 9:29 am

No, the Cardinals don’t get to wear their “Color Rush” jerseys this season, since they are playing in San Francisco a week from Thursday and the 49ers have similar jerseys. But the Cards are about to wear black.

Yes, the team’s alternate jerseys are still around, and for a second straight year, the Cards will wear them against the Rams in the fourth game of the season at University of Phoenix Stadium. I’m sure somewhere you can find the record of the Cardinals wearing their black third jerseys, although if you have read me at all you know that’s not something I buy into, so …

Regardless of the jersey color, the Cardinals have to play much better against a Rams team that’s suddenly won two straight.

46 Responses to “Black jerseys for Rams game”

1. By Scott H on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

I’ve been feeling like wearing a little black myself this week….because I am definitely in mourning. Let’s hope this Sunday feels a bit more festive.

Very hard to believe we are hoping for a win in Week 4 just to bet back to .500. Don’t know about anyone else, but a win this week will accomplish little else for me. Feeling a little encouragement from the win against the Buccs was a bad idea and entirely too short lived. Beating a bad team at home will be virtually meaningless. I need to see a lot more than that to get back to feeling good about this team.

I wish we had Seattle this week, I really do. Because it feels like this team needs something to get UP for, ya know? The Rams? That almost seems like a dangerous opponent for us right now. Because it feels like we are so out of synch and lethargic. Perfect time for a team like the Rams to sneak up on us and steal a win. And would it even be stealing???? The Rams always play us tough as it is.

I hate how this Sunday looks right now. Because a win will mean little. And a loss will basically signify that the wheels HAVE, in fact, fallen off.

I don’t give a you-know-what color they wear. They need to get back to playing like the team they are supposed to be. Period. If they can give us that, they can play naked for all I care. I won’t be watching any of those games, but….:)

2. By shane on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Scott H,

sorry dude but what you just explained about the rams not even mattering or the team needing a game too get up too… is just the problem this team is having right now smh lol every week and every game matters in the nfl every win matters . There shouldn’t be a game that matters more thats the problem … Plus in case you didn’t know the rams are 2-1 just like the hawks and the rams already beat the hawks.. so yeah.

3. By 11ZFAN on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

We lost to the Rams at home last season so this is a must win for many reasons! I’m expecting to see a completely different team on Sunday and will be in my regular seat cheering them on as I have for 11 seasons now. It would be nice if we could make it a “blackout” in the stands.

4. By Dr. G. on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Last year, I recall Jersey colors being an issue for many fans on this blog – – probably because when you’re winning, you gotta write about something, eh?

Black was always a Raider thing with the silly Halloween outfits to try to instill fear. Well, I fear that something negative will or already has infiltrated this team, whether it be the apparent bias of some contracts or simply some players going deaf in prep for games. ((IF?)) the players stop listening, good execution wanes.

Some fans legitimately question coaching competence. I lay claim to smh beginning 2 years ago with BA’s stubborn play calling as he seemingly telegraphed his intentions and the cutsy long ball biscuit/riskit stuff. BA is a surprise no longer; he needs to consider shaking up the play calling or get an OC who can bring a fresh approach.

Fans here will note that I point out that BA is not our Head Coach;; he is the OC. He basically puts the DC on auto pilot, so his effectiveness on OVERALL team performance is absentee save for criticism post games. Great, if it works, but when things go awry…a serious step back is needed. I do not panic yet, but these facts are glaring considerations… Cards Fans are the best!

5. By Marcelof on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Maybe… just maybe this slow start is the final piece for this so talented team to get the Lombardi. I Mean, they are strongly thrown into reality early in the season, with team the get back on track and put all this talent into Ws.

Soberb would ruin them in the playoffs and so would the excess of confidence.

6. By TucsonTim on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Who are the 9 players? Are they here?

Swearinger was obviously concussed in the Tampa game, yet he came out, went to the locker room and then played. Odd process.

7. By georgiebird on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

According to most of the posters here, the Cardinals are a very talented team.
    Can anyone name all the talented players? I realize that everyone in the NFL is talented as are the coaches. But where on this Cardinals’ team are the players who stick out head and shoulders over the opposition.
    I’ll start with #1- Larry Fitzgerald. Can someone get me to 5??

8. By clssylssy on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

The Rams are atop of the West now, having beat the Seahawks and the 9ers, and have always manage to do their damage to us whether it was beating us at home or just taking some of our best players out at a critical time. Personally, I find this an EXTREMELY important game because it is an opportunity for us to get back on track at the right time, to still have a shot a the Division and beyond. The two games we lost, we non-division games and perhaps we needed these losses to know how to start winning again. Last season the Seahawks started off slow also 2-1, and managed to rise up, make the playoffs and be a respected contender.
    On the other hand, a loss this week, I fear will psychologically stop this team from succeeding or scratching the surface of our potential.
    Going into Tampa, the Rams didn’t even have a TD but their defense was so good it was able to not only carry them to a win over the Seahawks after being shutout the first week by the 9ers. My main worry is whether our offense will be able to muster up the intensity we had last season to block for Carson and our RBs. We have some of the best backs in the league and hopefully BA will not be afraid to use them. Don’t know if Tyrann will be back in his regular role yet, I think he has the taste, and if he is he could start something exciting with the rest of the secondary. My hope is that our guys will come out fast and feed off the crowd, not be so stiff and have some fun kicking it and finding their JUICE.
    For the Rams, I wish we were wearing blood red to let them know that’s what we’re out for!
    Time for the Red Sea to Rise Up! Enough of this pity party! I’m getting too old to watch bad football and consider it a party!

9. By Scott H on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

shane –

Sorry, dude, but I think you missed my point. I never said it doesn’t matter if they win or not. Of course it does! Yes, I want them to win. I said that winning a game against a pretty bad team, at home, is not going to be anything for me to get real excited over right now.

Yes, I know the Rams are 2-1. And? Are we REALLY supposed to even care what the RAMS record is right now??? Sorry, but I had my sights set a lot higher than this. If THIS team is playing the way it seems capable of playing, we shouldn’t be needing to worry about anything other than the Seahawks.

Yet….here we are.

10. By NYCardinals on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Do you know the story behind the Marqui Christian release? Do they plan to bring him back as a Practice Squad player?

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

NYCardinals —

RE: Christian

I could see that.

12. By azmijo on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Does anyone know anyone of the9 guys that are gna tryout

13. By Joseph Robinett(Lightwing) on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Colors like uniforms can have a very powerful influence within the soul of one individual, multiplied that by the collective of a team, and accordingly manifested, can materialize into the action of profound achievement. Always the best to Mr. Michael B. and the Arizona Cardinals….

14. By TucsonTim on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

I guess when you’re a high draft choice and in 3 games you have one catch for ZERO yards, you can’t block and you have no value on special teams, you go to IR. Did he pull a hammy tripping Johnson?

15. By RealCardinalFan on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

ALL of you negative pansy’s need to STFU RN for real buncha losers

16. By Dr. G. on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Robinette ~ you need to be a fictional poet of pirated plagiarized lyrical odes.

Scott ~ on the same page~ got some fixin’ to do huh?

Georgie ~ re: name some good players beside Fitz? MCooper, DJohnson, JaronB, Bucannon, TJefferson, DFells ~ ~ just a start. This team is loaded; they have just not been in the same book, much less on the same page. Incidentally, I like Palmer’s mature humility, owning up to his lacking performance…can’t blame it on the WRs all the time as BA does…maybe the O-line some though.

Marcelof ~ Here’s hoping you are prophetic!

Be well Cards Fans… It still the best game on the planet.

17. By TucsonTim on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

With those 3 thumbs down I’ve obviously offended Troy and his parents and I do apologize to you for my sarcasm given that he might be…and usually is injured.

The worst player in the NFL is an incredible athlete and better than most ordinary humans could ever hope to be. However, having said that, Troy is a liability to the Cardinals and an absolute waste of a draft pick.

18. By greg l on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

I feel bad for Canaday. This team is really difficult to root for.

19. By steve on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Darren: When a player gets released during the season such as Canady, who has to deliver the bad news, Keim or B.A?.

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: News

Depends on the player. Might be a position coach. Keim — any GM, really — usually doesn’t take part in that.

21. By Steve on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Darren: Another question thx, why are the Cardinals happy with Butler’s performance? he has generally been one of lower tier group of punters in the NFL yet the team seems in no hurry to try to find a permanent replacement, as they recently said, ” a temporary one until Drew recovers.” Is it a question of perhaps not seeing anything else on the FA market that they like better or not wanting to tinker with roster moves.

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Butler

Arians has consistently backed Butler when he is asked about him. They say he does a good job. I don’t think it has to do with what is available.

23. By andystandsup on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

Going by past blogs, looks like 5-5 with the black unis, including 1-1 with the Rams.
    Must be a AC/DC fan also with multiple “Back In Black” references in titles.

24. By L.G on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

black red white i don’t give a dam just win

25. By Dan on Sep 27, 2016 | Reply

One position the Cardinals really lack in is the quarterback.
    How much more disappointment are we going to have to put up with the terrible quarterbacks the Cardinals have.
    I’m tired of Arians always blaming that the reciever ran the wrong route when the ball sails 10-20 yards out of bounds, or into the arms of the opposing teams with not one Cardinal player anywhere close.
    Wake up Arians both of your QB’s sucks.
    Get a good QB and hopefully we’ll win, which I’m sure we will, they have many talented players with the exception of QB, oh ya, and the place kicker is not very consistent.

26. By Dan on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

YAY! Finally got rid of Shat Riddick. Now who is the mongo who cut Marqui Christian? WOW!

27. By dan on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Who we cutting next, Nkendeche? Another note…….nice to see my Cardinals season tickets selling on the secondary market for a lot cheaper than what I paid. Looks like I may need to cut my tickets loose so I can buy A LOT cheaper and a lot nicer seats.

28. By dan on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Niklas is a waste……gets more banged up than a ____.

29. By JoBall on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Re: Dan

When a QB throws a pass, he expects his receiver to be at a certain spot. Palmer is throwing to a spot that the receiver SHOULD be before the receiver even makes his cut. When they run the wrong route , the pass seems odd or way underthrown/overthrown etc..

Great QBs don’t grow on trees.. it is the most important position in football. While I agree.. palmer hasn’t played great football since the NFC championship game, he is still one of the better QBs in the league. I guarantee you there at least 18 teams who would love to have palmer. Cut Palmer and bring in who exactly? Which free agent QB makes you think can give this team a better chance of winning than Palmer? And don’t say trade.. teams generally don’t trade great QBs.

30. By Scott H on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Dr.G. –

Yeah, we’re on the same page, I reckon. But is this the book we wanted to be reading right now??? Ugh. Hang in there.

31. By shannon robinson on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

“There’s no success like failure and failure is no success at all.” As a rugby coach I’ve had to wait a long time for some teams to play ball. It is worth waiting for. Once our team is living the belief that they can win together then winning sets the table and moves in. Perseverance furthers, don’t panic. When the Cards don’t play well it is tough to watch when you see Markus Golden not protecting the edge or Chandler Jones gets blocked going for the wrong man on the option play. A lot of us were scooping that ball for Tyrann while he was playing basketball to the sideline.. Tackles are missed and opponents are getting past our front five. We’re not plugging the holes, or as BA says staying in our gaps. You can believe in magic but winning ain’t easy. I’m flying out to watch us play good basic tough football against the Rams, a team I respect, and the winning will begin to happen.

32. By Andy Kw on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

We will bounce back. I have no doubts. We might end the season with a 9-7 or 10-6 record but a Super Bowl is still in sight.

33. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

It sounds like Butler will be unable to punt on Sunday but he will be dressed so that he can hold the ball for potential convert and field goal attempts. Seems like a waste of a player to me. Why not have JJ Nelson or one of the Browns or even Ellington (he could use the work) try and do that and activate someone else who might be needed during the game. I know punters are traditionally holders but I don’t think it always has to be so.

34. By Dr. G. on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Bluenose ~ ~ There is no other reason to keep Butler as a holder than BA is hoping for his quick return. This must be the 1st time ever that a roster spot is exclusive for a holder. I can think of 10 guys who could be just fine to catch a hike and put in on the spot that ‘Zaro points to…not a special skill…!

35. By Darren Urban on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Roster exclusive

Again, this isn’t even the first time Arians did this. Butler actually first punted for Cardinals in same exact situation, with Zastudil active to hold for kicks.

36. By debeezy on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

@JohnnyBluenose, you must not realize the importance of Butler holding for Catman. It’s not a skill you can learn overnight and they certainly have chemistry together. Easier said than done for one of the Browns or Ellington to do it.

37. By clssylssy on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Four of the teams who made the playoffs last year started as slow as the Cards and this home game will be a good test to see if indeed this team is the disappointment that the media seems to believe.
    BA is taking a lot of the heat that rightly belongs to Steve Keim who is “getting paid to make the big decisions”. I’m not saying BA hasn’t made some errors however, there is a tendency in the league (and particularly in Arizona) to overlook the role/power of the GM in the roster the coaches are expected to grind out wins with.
    IMO, we lost critical leadership, particularly on the defensive side of the ball and did not address areas of critical concern in the draft. While BA certainly has input, this is ultimately on Keim. The same thing happened with Graves who failed to sign quality player replacements.
    We have signed a LB, a LS, & P, Keim’s “tokens” & will see how much that cures our ills. I still think we need to bring in a sports psychologist to help our mental
    block and apparent dysfunctional team dynamic that is stopping us from moving forward. BA is still BA, Carson still has talent, we have talent on both sides of the ball…what could it hurt?

38. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

debreezy…i’ve got news for you. it is a skill that you can learn overnight.

39. By SCarolinaCard on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

I don’t understand, as a rookie Ellington was used in certain situations, which worked out great. Then, IMO, he was used too much, which didn’t work at all (injuries). Now you hardly see him at all. Why can’t they work him in like his first season?

40. By Scott H on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Just read something I think everyone / anyone should see. However you find it, there is a column entitled “1-2 Start Leaves Cardinals Reeling” in the USA Today Sports Weekly ( just out today ) by a Dan Brickley. And I gotta tell ya – it is one paragraph after another of you-said-it-brother.

From poor personnel decisions to poor coaching to lack of leadership to ( obviously ) poor play on the field, this article really doesn’t miss anything.

And, BTW, it was Tyrann Mathieu himself who spoke about a lack of leadership.

It also spoke of how the loss on Sunday – easily the worst of the Bruce Arians era – was an ORGANIZATIONAL loss. And, yeah….it was. It was a loss that EVERYONE can take credit for.

And that is sobering. Because an organizational problem implies that the problems are top to bottom. And how do you fix THAT over-night?? You can replace a QB. You can replace a long-snapper ( which we apparently have ). You can replace a punter ( which we SHOULD have done by now ). But no one of those things is THE problem right now. The “problem” with this team right now seems like something pervasive. And when something is pervasive….it is something big, it is something complex, and it is something not easily fixed.

This team caught some kind of virus after that night in Philly last season, and it has been affecting us ever since. Whatever the cure may be, we sure ain’t found it yet.

And virus seems like the right word. Because this team just seems sick right now.

41. By clssylssy on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

I read that article and I have to say, as I’m not a Dan Bickley fan anyway, I took it with a grain of salt. Basically, he was just kinda summarizing a lot of theories that have already been vented on this thread, and I gotta say I put more credibility, into the fans on this site than I do him. He’s a hired gun who makes his living whipping up headlines. Last week he wrote a particularly offensive piece in which he characterized Cards fans as a bunch of hysterical band wagoners who knew nothing about football or the Cardinals because of being transients from everywhere but the valley…lol, as if that makes a difference! Many of us have been paying Cards fans for twenty plus years and have probably forgotten more than he’ll ever know! He’s a pundit, not an expert!
    Yes, we have some issues but I’m not going to quit on the team just yet! I tend to be probably one of the most outspoken poster (a “Negative Nancy” even) but I grew up in a Chiefs family before coming here and have weathered the seasonal tidal waves that are predictable when you have a high profile team–it’s the nature of the beast!
    Remember, controversy sells and this is a multibillion dollar business. So, just chillax and go hit some balls or something. There is nothing is Bickley’s article that hasn’t been voiced on this blog, so why is it now so sobering?

42. By Joseph Robinett(Lightwing) on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Scott H, thank you, sir, for the informative communication on the Mr. Dan B. article. I’m getting ready to turn myself onto this intriguing bit…

To coach Bruce A., I surely do appreciate that you had some encouraging words to say about the young Mr. Canaday, remembering that we’re all in this together. Very cool, sir

43. By Scott H on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

Why is it so sobering NOW? Are you kidding?? After all I’ve had to say about my concerns over the last few months ( going back to the end last season, actually ), you’re going to ask me why I needed someone else to point it out for me now? Have you been listening to me at all??

No, nothing in that piece was an earth-shattering revelation to me. If anything, I found that it echoed EXACTLY what I and many others ( you as well ) have been saying for awhile now. As it came from an outsider, I found it was pretty much right on with what the concerns voiced on this blog. Hence, I thought people might find it interesting as well. Some may. Some may not. It really doesn’t matter.

And hate to say it, but he really didn’t have to try very hard to “whip up” this headline. It was a headline that created itself. You don’t seem to be a fan of the writer, that is clear. And that is fine. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have anything worthwhile to say.

Look, bottom line – we don’t have problems because I, you, or Dan Bickley says so. We have problems because we really do have problems. Is there any argument there?

Glad to hear you are not gonna quit on the team. I’m not quitting, either. I’m more than 42 years in with this team. That is where my passion comes from. Given the frequent content of your posts, I know you understand that. If I were ever gonna quit on this team, I would have done it by now!

44. By clssylssy on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear & you misunderstood me. You are exactly right!
    That’s what you and others (including myself) have been pointing out and now it takes a “recognized sports journalist” to give validity to what we have been so emotional about, but dismissed as “overreactive fans”!
    I don’t have the history with this team that you have, but have supported them through thick and thin since I came to Phoenix and embraced them as my new home team 20+ years ago. We’ve been through some tough times and are in, I believe, much better shape than ever before. I believe that Michael Bidwill sincerely wants to make a success of this team and will work toward finding a solution.
    I didn’t mean to minimize your frustration, and I think many of us have shared your frustration since coming so close to the SB win then being given false hope that this would be our year at last.
    I do however, take issue with some writer disrespecting our fan base as transient band wagoners because we are no longer willing to settle for substandard Cardinal football.
    Hopefully, the team feels as passionate as the fans when they play the Rams this week. GO CARDS! FAITH, FOCUS, FORWARD!

45. By Scott H on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

clssylssy –

Yup! FORWARD! Got a game on Sunday.

2. Sep 30, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Friday before the (memorable) Rams