Floyd knows he needs to ramp up

Posted by Darren Urban on September 28, 2016 – 3:24 pm

Michael Floyd was back on the practice field Wednesday, saying he was fine after going through concussion protocol. But what about his slow start through three games?

“Some of those 50-50 balls (thrown to him), we wouldn’t be having this conversation if I had come down with them,” the wide receiver said. “That’s just how it is now. Got to look for it next week, because I know they will come to me every week.”

Floyd did have four catches for 65 yards in Buffalo, but he couldn’t come down with one crucial jump ball deep down the field early in the game (the ball was underthrown by quarterback Carson Palmer), he dropped the very first pass of the game setting a rough tone, and later, ran the wrong route late in the game leading to a Palmer interception. Floyd knows the Cardinals need him — thus far, he has nine catches for 134 yards and a touchdown — and it would help if Floyd could become that guy who strung together a bunch of 100-yard games last season.

Bruce Arians said Floyd need to be more consistent, a word the Cardinals’ brass has used often over the years about Floyd. Palmer was giving Floyd nothing but support when he was asked about him. “I have a ton of faith in him,” Palmer said. “I expect every ball I throw to him for him to make a catch or jump over someone to make a catch. He’s made tons of plays, and that’s that.”

Floyd acknowledged he’s made some mistakes early this season, and like his teammates, pledged to get better. It’s an important year for him, given that he will be a free agent after the season. No one knows that better than him.

“I think (free agency) is always in someone’s head,” Floyd said. “In my head for sure. I can only control what I can control.”

Tags: ,

28 Responses to “Floyd knows he needs to ramp up”

1. By mal on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Oh, come on now, Darren, please, you’ve gotta go talk to this new guy Joplo Bartu and tell him he has the best name since Obafemi Ayanbadejo.

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Bartu

New game: NFL player or Star Wars character?

3. By Joe C. on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

A guy I went to high school with was the long snapper for John Robinson at USC. Eric Dickerson’s rookie year the Ram’s centers were hurt and they signed my friend with three games left in the season. Supposedly when Robinson was told the snappers were hurt he said, “Go find Mike M., he can do it”. Well he got the league minimum for three games and the rams made it to the NFC Championship game (lost 53-0 to redskins) and I believe he made over $500,000 for six weeks work including playoff shares. To top it off he ended up playing for about five years, was featured once on MNF and did a stint as mayor of our hometown. The moral of the story? Teach your kids to long snap!

4. By Steve on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Darren: As a reporter for this team you have seen players get cut left and right for years. Did you feel a little worse for Kam Canady than most players you have seen get released by the Cards?

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Canaday

There have been a few guys I felt bad for. I understand where you are coming from, but this is a results-only business. My wife hates watching games when a kicker misses a crucial kick and it’s likely he’s going to be cut.

6. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Moving on to this weeks game;

My biggest concerns for the Cardinals against the first place Rams.

1. Offensive Line – They have not been good. So far, Palmer has been sacked 9 times. He is on pace for 48 sacks, not to mention the hits. Last year, he was only sacked 25 times.

To add to this, Aaron Donald could be lining up on Watford . Just two years ago, Donald ended Stanton (and the cards) 2014 season by lining up on Cooper and beating him. You also will see sack artist, Robert Quinn , lining up on Humphries.

If this line can’t protect the 37 year old Palmer, he won’t last the season.

2. The cardinals are 28th against the run this year. Teams are averaging 4.8 yards a carry. Our two leading tacklers are our safeties (Jefferson and Branch), which means runners are getting to the 3rd level.

To add to this, Todd Gurley comes to town. Last time he played in Arizona he gashed the cards for 146 yards (7.7 yards a carry)

3. James Bettcher; The rams are the 32nd ranked offense.They can’t score. They can’t pass. They can’t move the ball. If the cards sit back in these Bettcher zones, this could be the worst game of the season. The ram offense is aweful. I mean as bad as it gets. Even Gurley can’t get going.

It is a perfect game for the cardinals of the past to man up and go get the QB. Crowd the line and don’t let Gurley or Keenum breathe. Release the Badger !!!!

You can not , under any circumstances, fail this week as defensive coordinator.Simple as that. Stop the zones and play cardinal football.

4. Receivers connect with Palmer – Last week, there were 4 picks. One was when John Brown ran an out, when it was a post. He said he didn’t hear the audible. Another came when Floyd ran a lazy route and rounded it off instead of breaking straight across. A third came when Jaron Brown had a 50/50 ball and never left the ground to go get it. Can’t remember the 4th.

This can’t keep happening. They have played together for too long to have this happen. The rams secondary is suspect. If you can protect Palmer, the receivers should have a field day if they are on the same page.

Bottom line, the rams have no offense, can’t score, can’t throw the ball, struggling to get Gurley going, and a weak pass defense. This should be a blow out here at home. But the Bills should have been too.

7. By Scott H on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Michael, if you’re ever gonna step up and be the beast / dominant player you are SO CLEARLY capable of being, now is the time, my friend. We’re waiting on you. Because you are the only one who can make it happen. You can help drive this team to great things this year and you can take over as the top play-maker on this team for the next several years. It is ALL there for you, all there for the taking. YOU need to step up and claim it.

8. By truths4all on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Regardless of having his bell rung or not, he still ran a bunch of wrong routes, some too long, some too short, and broke the wrong way.

Seems that there were at least two INTs due to bad route running, including Brown’s and Johnson’s brain farts.

9. By texascard on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Floyd is a disappointment and he is going to get a huge contract next season somewhere. Kim diche cant even get on the field but he is going to be on the team for a couple seasons before he gets cut because he is faster than other d linemen. 55 is a doormat for the opposing run game to stroll through but he is going to demand big money in the offseason. Canady dissappoints and he gets cut and even worse scapegoated as the sole reason we are 1 and 2. I get it but it aint right

10. By georgiebird on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Does Floyd play defense ?? Is he a linebacker ?? C’mon lets get to the core of the problem. Mentioning Floyd and Canaday is a little off-point.

11. By TLT on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Contracts, post season, they’ll take care of themselves. Is distraction right now…

Haven’t read/heard much about losing Riddick (physical freak, very smart student, great character based on research) or Marquis (heat seeking missile).

Can only surmise these two lagged on preparation/attention to detail? What a waste they couldn’t be salvaged, unless hype was wrong.

Thinking Mathis return key for Sunday, if he can gut it out.

Rams let go of a lot on D, like Lariniatus, others too. 2-2 is as far ahead as I’ll look…but 2-2 seems like its “in the Cards”…

Maybe we’ll look back and wonder what all the fuss was week 4…

My bottom line: we got beat games 1+3 on scheme &physicality, mostly on both lines of scrimmage (and LB) that made secondary more relevant than otherwise would be…expecting OL to get fixed with Mathis and D to get fixed some knee deep.

12. By SeeingRed on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

My goodness… Amateur hour sometimes this is….didn’t watch the game until today and after hearing all week from radio talking heads and even Cards reporters etc that Floyd’s drop on the FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME set the negative tone for the ENTIRE game is laughable. If that’s even possible then this team aint sniffin the SB this year. To even believe that either as a player or anyone else (at the time) is Bush league. What competitor would think that?? It was a dropped ball-NEXT play! Wasn’t even memorable in my opinion. If anything in that span that”set the tone” was Fitz dropping a pass nicely placed by Palmer. A spot where only Fitz could make that catch. Again, shouldn’t have been a big deal either. Strap up up your n*** and go to work. Looking for benign plays here and there betrays the overall issues. I can’t tell you what they are but I say again the issues were evident in preseason…the “canary in the coal mine”. It all can be fixed I’m assuming but it hasn’t yet so I don’t feel any comfort in that thought.

Here is what’s horribly troublesome….you suck for 2 games out of 3 (not counting preseason) and your shake up is to cut inactive/practice squad players??? Including MC who looked promising-especially with Jefferson being a UFA after the season??? oh and wait, the Rams picked him up…genius! Keim and his rep with draft picks has been over-hyped for years,,,I can name you plenty of high to mid levels that never panned out. Whole org better get their heads out of their backsides-with a quickness too.

13. By Joe on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Off subject,but why cutting a young prospect such as Christian,knowing that almost certainly someone would claim him? I understand they needed to make room for a punter but,why not just placing Alani Fua on IR and keeping Christian? Or why not cutting maybe Tharold Simon or Gabe Martin? Christian could have helped at very least on special teams and now he is gonna help the Rams.

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Christian

Arians didn’t explain exactly why. But you never know what a team has seen in practice or elsewhere.

15. By Dr. G. on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

When you sprint like a mad man several times in a row, and the ball goes to someone else, it can be easy to round off a cut or just relax a bit… Like Floyd probably did when he ran behind the defender vs cutting hard in front of him. As BA is quoted, “Palmer has several options.” Whoever runs the best route this time will get the ball…gotta go hard EVERY PLAY. Make the defender work hard.

I know he is an excellent WR, and he seems like a good guy though maybe not a leader…gotta re – sign him before season end… …and still not a fan of the long ball into double & triple coverage…((a bad situation for INTs and INJURIES))

FWIW ~ ~ Going back to BA’s diverticulitis, it had to be easy for him to get a scare and not realize that he forgot to keep his foot on the gas with these young guys. Believe me, he was really hurting and played it up… I know this from a med prospective…you can’t be good in 2 days with his job.

The Coliseum is kinda neutral stadium…but it can be loud…wondering about ticket sales? Go Cards!

16. By Dr. G. on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

I forgot to add… re: BA’s Diverticulitis ~ ~ The docs surely warned him that this is a lifetime diagnosis, but with reasonable diet and lots of ruffage, he’ll do very well. Still a bit scary. Good work can take his mind off it…be well Coach

17. By Richard L on Sep 28, 2016 | Reply

Trade Floyd. Move Jaron Brown a starter. Give Butler the boot.

18. By Erik on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

I’m definitely questioning the decision to cut Christian. Basically, it seems he was cut so they can keep Butler on the roster. We all know Butler is terrible and the stats back that up. Do the Cardinals really think someone is going to scoop him off waivers if they cut him? It makes no sense.

19. By Hammy on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

I know Floyd has put up decent numbers for a number 2 type receiver but man does he frustrate me! I would like to see Jaron Brown get a lot more opportunities because I believe he has earned it. It seems when he plays more, he produces results and thats what we need from our receiver corps. Is he being overlooked in this offense? I would start him in place of the struggling Floyd and Smokey. Can we also get some production from our wonderful Tight Ends???? They are not just made to block. Anyways Go Cards!!!

20. By TucsonTim on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

SeeingRed –

I think the “canary in the coal mine” was ML retirement. I don’t think you play that well that long as a professional and walk away from a reasonable chance at a ring.

Great to hear our brutally honest coach report another good week of practice – always makes me want to insert a you tube of the AI rant

21. By clssylssy on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

The Rams may not have an offense but their defense is scary and dominates because they have not only some good players but are head hunters and nasty…they take no prisoners but play brutal, beyond just physical, and we have been on the receiving end of that multiple times, losing good players as well as games when we had everything to play for and the Rams had nothing except blood lust.They went into Tampa, leading the Division w/o even a TD to their credit and now are atop the NFC West! They are the new stars of tinseltown and are out to show the league they are divas.
    I’m hoping that Mathias will be able to play, he and Iupati are key to getting our 0-line up for the game–they are our leaders at the position and we need them to step up and show the younger guys how to get the job done. We have great RBs and I’m hoping BA will use CJ and Ellington instead of trying to use Johnson up. CJ is tough, can get through the skinny holes better than David and isn’t afraid to put his face in the fire; he’s a pitbull. Ellington is fast, although I worry that the Rams D will crush him if they catch him, but using more rotation or the “dual threat” Johnson & Johnson idea talked about in preseason could save David Johnson and give our offense something of a different look. I fear they are going to be out to get DJ and I would hate to lose him for the season. Gresham and Fells need to step up and be nasty as blockers as well as hang on to the ball when targeted.
    Last season we had leaders at every position which we traded for youth and speed which has resulted in a cluster mess. Floyd and Brown were struggling last season and I don’t think that it’s realistic to think Floyd is going to go out and put up great numbers, especially when he’s just had his bell rung and is battling headaches,
    JTDG and SeeingRed pretty much nailed it. Our problems aren’t with the players but a little higher up the foodchain. This is the week to right this ship and get back on course!

22. By Dr. G. on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

JTDG ~ interesting pre ~game preview…some good points to watch for.

And yes, I know the game is at home w/season tix. I was just curious how attendance in LA is going.

If there is a must win game, you can’t pick a better one prior to post season.

Go Red Birds…!

23. By clssylssy on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

On a different note…this guy Keim signed to stand in for Butler, Quigley, averaged 43.8 yards per punt and a net of 36,5 which was next to the last in the league just ahead of Butler! The Rams are NOT a team that we want to give away field position to so I’m wondering WT? Where does Keim find these guys? And, his big message is to cut players who actually might be assets, as token offerings to the angry Fan Gods! The Rams wasted NO TIME in grabbing up Christian. What’s wrong with this picture?
    In looking back at last week’s game, the Bills had a new OC & renewed sense of hope, a freshness. In that light I’m thinking that there probably isn’t a lot of tape on Momah and perhaps BA will hopefully have some new plays up his sleeve that haven’t become so predictable (going off script and actually using TEs as offensive weapons). And, as I recall, this was the week that he had planned to unleash the Badger…nothing meaner than a hungry badger!
    I think the Veterans all know how nasty the Rams play and I hope everybody goes in wide-eyed and ready for an assault. No time for snoozing out of the gate!

24. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

Cards62 and Dynosoar,

(from Cards62)

JTDG – Ohio State and Tennessee are my two favorite college teams so I watch them a lot and I think you are 100% right on Dobbs, but do me a favor and watch the Clemson and Louisville game this Saturday and let me know what you think of these 2 signal callers.

Here is my takes;

Watched Lamar Jackson against Florida St, and man was he electric. He is almost unstoppable on the college field. I really don’t know what to think of him as a pro. He is only a soph, so he should return to school at least another year, but dang, he is exciting. I think I need to see him more.

As for Deshawn Watson, I think he will be a 1st round pick. My concern last year was when he played better teams, he struggled a bit. That was till he hit the big stage against Alabama in the championship game, putting up 400 yards and 4 TDs. I think the kid is better than Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaep and think he would fit really well with Chip Kelly in SF next year. I would be surprised if the niners don’t jump up to get him. (unfortunately)

25. By D on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

X Williams going to be activated on game day this Sunday to help stop the run?. I would think he would be the better option if Frosty and Nkemdiche are not dressing. CC needs some help inside. Mauro and Stinson are not run stoppers.
    If the Rams run all over them Sunday, bring back R Bryant.

26. By Scott H on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

Looking ahead to Sunday….one thing I would really like to see is some different play-calling. I’d like to see longer, more systematic drives and less of the big / chunk plays. Play “smaller” and wait for the big plays. They will be there. More runs will help draw the defense up AND it will back off the pass rush against us. We have a GREAT RB tandem. USE them. We have big, capable TE’s. USE them.

Stop going downfield on first down. The big plays were working for us last year. This year, this offense is way out of synch and anyone can see that. We don’t need to be stubborn and stick what we like to do when it’s just not working.

Play smaller, get more guys involved, get everyone into the flow of the game, get Palmer into a groove….THEN look for the big plays.

It also keeps prevents the defense from running out of gas and will allow them to play more aggressive.

I’d love to think this team is just going to snap out of it, but….that hasn’t happened. When you are 2-4 in your last 6 games and playing as we are, it is time to make some adjustments. And needing to make adjustments is not something this coaching staff has really needed to do. But we’re gonna find out if they can. That might be what is needed to get us out of this funk. Our personnel is what it is at this point. No changes to personnel are gonna turn anything around. And why should they??? We have so much talent right now. The coaches need to figure out what the hell is wrong and steer us out of this. I put it on them.

27. By Joe C. on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply

Gee, I thought that was a great story.

28. By SeeingRed on Sep 29, 2016 | Reply