Honey Badger loose in the secondary

Posted by Darren Urban on October 4, 2016 – 3:17 pm

Chris Johnson’s move to injured reserve will attract more eyeballs — and certainly, CJ2K’s loss means something, even if the running game was always going to be powered by David Johnson — but the loss of Tyvon Branch may end up with greater impact. Here was a guy signed to improve speed in the secondary and to be used like Tyrann Mathieu, able to play the slot when Mathieu couldn’t, and perhaps allow some sneaky flip-flopping from time to time.

Now Branch is done, at least for a couple of months. The Cardinals are fortunate that Mathieu says he wants to be Mathieu again. The Cardinals could use a dose of Honey Badger. Bruce Arians said Mathieu isn’t the only player primed to play in that spot — the coach mentioned Marcus Cooper in particular — but “no one plays it like Ty when he thinks he’s ready.”

Does Arians think he’s ready? “If he feels he’s ready, he’s ready,” Arians said.

Not that this necessarily is the panacea for all the Cardinals’ ills. The Cards still need to make sure receivers do go running free every so often. And Mathieu has nothing to do with the slow offensive starts. But if there is anything to be drawn positive from an injury-filled week — we still await Carson Palmer’s status, but it still seems like Drew Stanton will end up starting at QB Thursday night — it’s the fact Mathieu is moving toward Honey Badgerness.

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “Honey Badger loose in the secondary”

1. By Joseph Robinett (Lightwing) on Oct 4, 2016 | Reply

To the great Tyrann Mathieu, sir, I so do appreciate your concern for the animal kind, when you gave a personal example by staying in a very hot car, your method action, a fantastic idea, and, thus, supporting the awareness of do not leave our animal friends in hot cars.

And speaking about the animal kind, Mr. Badger, go and show them 49ers what we are all about, my good, sir.

Sincerely, Lightwing

2. By Scott H on Oct 4, 2016 | Reply

Figures….just as we might be getting the REAL Honey Badger back, we are on the verge of disaster in so many other areas.

Palmer is still in the concussion protocol as of Tues afternoon ( in the east, anyway ), so it will be nothing short of a miracle for him to play 48 hours from now. So, we are looking at Drew Stanton leading the offense. And, hopefully, we will be looking at some considerably different play calling.

3. By A data nnt on Oct 4, 2016 | Reply

The cards w were over hyped and with a recrd 1/3 should turn it around ob Thursday.another loss the seasons ruined

4. By texascard on Oct 4, 2016 | Reply

Where the badger plays is not the problem with the d. Its the dline. They must play better for the d to work. With quick undersized lbs the line must hold up. The breakdown at the line of scrimmage dominoes into the rest of the defense. As far as offense. The front office quit on this team when they didnt get a capable backup qb. Canady has two bad snaps and is blamed by gm for all cardinal woes. D stanton throws two straight ints on two straight possesions at the end of a close game and now is going to put the cardinals in a terrible spot when a win is needed. Thanks keim. Thanks for nothing

5. By JR on Oct 4, 2016 | Reply

The quarterback that had the best showing during the preseason was Matt Barkley, and we let him go. I know, he was the third string quarterback, but I’m just saying. …

I’m glad the honey badger will be returning to his usual self, but I will be praying hard that God will protect him from another injury. I sincerely do not want to see him injuried a 3rd time.

6. By Dan on Oct 4, 2016 | Reply

WOW!!!! Now they cut Butler? We just let a very good draft pick (Christian) a week ago when we could have gotten rid of Butler……..UN-FLIPPINGGBELIEVABLE! Got to be kidding me…….Keim needs to hire me for scouting or something cuz I know I can do a better job…think I missed my calling………I must have a very unique skill when I can on youtube and within 30 seconds realize if I guy is going to be a stud or not, regardless of position. Obviously I don’t know the whole contract issues but I can see money being wasted.

7. By Dan on Oct 4, 2016 | Reply

I’ll toot my own horn……said take Paxton Lynch 1st round, if not available take Dak Prescott in 2nd rd……….Shaq Riddick, called him a stiff 2 minutes after the pick after I washed his highlights on youtube in about 30 seconds….I would have taken a guard or center with that pick….but thats just me…….I can go on and on. I realize some are hit or miss but geez, most of these picks I can see right away.

8. By Scott H on Oct 5, 2016 | Reply

Just saw where Cromartie was released by the Colts…..wonder if he has anything left. Wonder if the Cards will take a look. Seems like it has gone downhill for him since he left here after 2014, but….maybe still a little left in the tank? We sure could use a little of his leadership….

9. By TLT on Oct 5, 2016 | Reply

Adversity. Our guys played guts out last week, still made errors at crucial times…so, we failed, yet Rams also were lucky that last 7 minutes…e.g. that dirty low tackle on Carson taking his legs out led to his inability to protect himself when falling as 2nd guy hit him; a dirty play in my book…but avoidable if we had blocked…

No quit in our guys, they’ll right the ship. Its not one thing, its a lot of things we did poorly. Its a bit like a golf swing, when you hit the sweet spot, when that swing is grooved, its seems so easy, youfeel like a genius. That was last year. This year is much harder, but might be a lot more fun…

Hanging tough with our Cards…it ain’t over…

10. By clssylssy on Oct 5, 2016 | Reply

It will be interesting to see if the Badger comes back as “savage” as he talked before the second knee blowout and the big contract, or if he will play tentative like the last time (which I understand and is perfectly normal); point is, I don’t think, under the best circumstances he solely is the answer to all that ails us. I’m getting tired of hearing about all these great practices and meetings when results don’t translate onto the field.
    We started off looking good on paper but our assets are dwindling as would be expected with injuries and we didn’t use them wisely when the opportunity was there. While other teams are replacing injured players, I’m not seeing the Cards aggressively pursuing available options. “Aggressively” could be the key concept in all of this, as there is nothing “aggressive” about anything we are doing and it starts from the top on down. Perhaps, Keim needs to lead by example and become “aggressive” in his efforts to fix the areas he missed on in the draft and off season.
    A lot of media commentators are starting to question whether this team was the real deal or just another seasonal anomaly, turning this ship around, against all odds, against the 9ers is what we need right now in the locker room as well as with the fans. The 9ers always play aggressive football and that’s a mindset we need to adopt from the top on down. We CAN do this if we play strong and smart for a full sixty minutes. GO CARDS! LET’S PROVE WE ARE FOR REAL!

11. By TLT on Oct 5, 2016 | Reply

Just wanted to add: I love Chris Johnson and Tyvon Branch, they brought really tough, skillful, veteran play. Made me sick seeing them go down, sick seeing them suffer on the turf (Branch was hurt several times in the game, played hurt, kept gutting it out), am sick they have to watch. Worst part of football, damn. Two hurt guys to rally around.

GO Cards.

12. By TucsonTim on Oct 5, 2016 | Reply

Cromartie – PFF worst 10 players list; comments really really bad. Perhaps he stayed out a little late with the Totty🙂

Unfortuately, Minter was on that list as well. And so was Stanton. About Stanton, PFF said it was quite a feat to make the 10 worst list having only played 13 snaps…”so it says something about how truly spectacular this disaster was that he still makes this list”

Not the best time for us to lose CJ. Here’s praying for a big night for DJ!

13. By Richard L on Oct 5, 2016 | Reply

Texascard -I liked you comment and have been saying for 2 years the Cards should play a 4-3defense because the ilb are too small and we have more dine talent than lb talent. Maybe a change is in order

14. By Joseph Robinett (Lightwing) on Oct 5, 2016 | Reply

I am so very excited for you, Mr. Drew Stanton, for having the opportunity to command your team, our team, to greatness… May you wear the crown magnificently, for I know you know you can, while our leader, Mr. Carson P., heals.

Together, now and forever, Mr. Michael B., a modern version of Prince Albert, our gladiators, The Arizona Cardinals, and us, your fandom, supporting you through the valley to the mountaintop.

Sincerely, Lightwing